Aim botters?

ScuzballScuzball Join Date: 2003-09-08 Member: 20657Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
I've been playing NS2 for many months now, and this is the first time I've personally encountered something suspicious.

The player was marine, about 15-1 or something. I ran at him from a vent. He started shooting, and when I got into bite range, it got weird. He didn't move, didn't jump, he was crouching in place. His model flipped it's torso rapidly, and when I died it looked like he was facing sideways, slowly straightening. Like a yard sprinkler spinning.

I repeated this a few times to make sure. Other players saw it as well.

Is this evidence of hack or just a strange bug?

Comments

• deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    cant say i have ever seen it
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well, crouching and standing still is not something an experienced player would do, so yeah, I'd be suspicious.
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    Probably just an exploit.
  • ScuzballScuzball Join Date: 2003-09-08 Member: 20657Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Would the animation code smooth out a rapid 360 to make it look slow an strange like this?
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nobody here knows, I'm sure. I would just ignore it and go to a different server.
  • SanCoSanCo Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155744Members
    too bad you didnt record it in a demo
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sounds like aimbot, thats what they usually do in every game
  • delta78delta78 Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178131Members
    Few days ago I encountered a suspicious dude, who of course was on the marine side. He alone managed to kill 3 skulks that charged him all together and he alone blocked our path to expand for like 5 minutes. Many players from my team claimed that he cheated, because no matter how they attacked him, they always died without doing any damage. I managed to sneak behind him in one point and kill him. However, it was too late for our team cause the marines already expanded everywhere.

I've never seen such a blockade from just a single marine.

The map was Mineshaft and our hive was in Cave. The marine blocked the space between Crusher and Sorting. And Repair was heavily guarded, so we found ourselves trapped in our little Cave.
  • kingkrabbe.#bofkingkrabbe.#bof Join Date: 2012-10-21 Member: 162892Members
    Scuzball wrote: »
    He didn't move, didn't jump, he was crouching in place. His model flipped it's torso rapidly, and when I died it looked like he was facing sideways, slowly straightening. Like a yard sprinkler spinning.

so marines have working sentries now... ;)

I hate cheaters in multiplayer games. does NS2 has VAC or any anti cheat stuff like that?

• gnoarchgnoarch Join Date: 2012-08-29 Member: 156802Members, Reinforced - Gold
    delta78 wrote: »
    Few days ago I encountered a suspicious dude, who of course was on the marine side. He alone managed to kill 3 skulks that charged him all together and he alone blocked our path to expand for like 5 minutes. Many players from my team claimed that he cheated, because no matter how they attacked him, they always died without doing any damage. I managed to sneak behind him in one point and kill him. However, it was too late for our team cause the marines already expanded everywhere.

The map was Mineshaft and our hive was in Cave. The marine blocked the space between Crusher and Sorting. And Repair was heavily guarded, so we found ourselves trapped in our little Cave.

that's really not neccessarily cheating .... I've once seen a guys named arc|fana go something like 40:1 in a match where he basically blocked one exit of the aliens mainhive om his own while the rest of our team capped the rest of the map. He did not cheat but obviously was way out of the league of the other players on the server.

It also was the Yo clan server so it wasn't just a bunch of noob aliens he was playing against.
  • EmooEmoo Ibasa Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11198Members
    I hate cheaters in multiplayer games. does NS2 has VAC or any anti cheat stuff like that?

Yes, the devs have said that VAC is enabled.

One guy holding off 3 skulks isn't unheard of. I've seen some very good marines, and holding off 3 skulks is nothing to them (especially if they're rather average pub skulks). But I've never seen someone stay still, crouch and just gun down everything, good marines move all over the place to avoid being hit, so that sounds suspicious.
  • honkehonke Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71285Members
    edited February 2013
    gnoarch wrote: »
    that's really not neccessarily cheating .... I've once seen a guys named arc|fana go something like 40:1 in a match where he basically blocked one exit of the aliens mainhive om his own while the rest of our team capped the rest of the map. He did not cheat but obviously was way out of the league of the other players on the server.

It also was the Yo clan server so it wasn't just a bunch of noob aliens he was playing against.

Be glad he didnt have his clanmate Tane with him they are a deathsquad
    edited February 2013
    honke wrote: »

Be glad he didnt have his clanmate Tane with him they are a deathsquad

The Tana and Fane pain train.

[Edit] Also know as the Fana and Tane pain train when I'm not being a moron with names.
  • Care_BearCare_Bear Join Date: 2005-06-12 Member: 53677Members
    When tactics and aim are not consistent, then be suspicious. I have only see two people who I considered possible cheaters and they joined the server at the same time. I have got lucky many times, though if someone never makes a mistake that is also a red flag.
    Care_Bear wrote: »
    When tactics and aim are not consistent, then be suspicious. I have only see two people who I considered possible cheaters and they joined the server at the same time. I have got lucky many times, though if someone never makes a mistake that is also a red flag.
    I take it you've never heard of consistency?

That's something that every competitive player strives for.
    Anyone can be streaky, it's hard to be consistent.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    sometimes you see playes go 40-1 or 40-2 as marine, then they go aliens and compeltely suck and look like noobs.
    I used to do that in NS1.

I went from playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein at the highest competitive level possible, to playing NS1.
    When playing marines, my aim was dead on, and I could dominate.

When playing aliens, I died three times as much as everyone else.

Eh, even I managed to hold Deposit against 7 skulks streaming in one at a time. (Alien commander told me to fuck off lol :D) It's pretty common if the aliens are bad and don't swarm as a group.

• WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    edited February 2013
    Squishpoke wrote: »

Eh, even I managed to hold Deposit against 7 skulks streaming in one at a time. (Alien commander told me to fuck off lol :D) It's pretty common if the aliens are bad and don't swarm as a group.
    Newb skulks don't trickle in or you'll die one by one!
  • MrPinkMrPink Join Date: 2002-05-28 Member: 678Members
    I haven't seen an aimbotter in many, many hours of NS2. I question their existence at this time.
  • BageesiacBageesiac Join Date: 2006-11-14 Member: 58596Members
    I've seen it only rarely, but then I think often times I accuse too much and it's actually my own system lagging somehow, and the player animations look really funky. I always ask others what they see to verify.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    sometimes you see playes go 40-1 or 40-2 as marine, then they go aliens and compeltely suck and look like noobs.
    Its the opposite for me, I can roll on aliens then completely suck on marine.
  • eh?eh? Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147997Members
    Unfortunate consequence of the skill ceiling for one side being subterranean.
  • CiroCiro Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178392Members
    Probably a bug. I have yet to see a definite aimbotter (auto-target user). However, in other games, there are players who are good at hiding things, through smart play.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited February 2013

Only one step below cheaters on the hierarchy of scum as far as I'm concerned. People that good at the game shouldn't join pubs with average/beginner players. It just ruins the game for everybody on both sides, often worse than an actual hacker would because despite their aimbots they still tend to be bad players.
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    next time: record it.

download fraps and record it,
    please.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Emoo wrote: »

Tane and Fana...Show some respect brew!
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »

How did I manage to get that the wrong way round!
  • w3st420w3st420 Join Date: 2010-07-21 Member: 72615Members
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »

Its a joke, see #6 of "Marine Strategy"
    Clicky
    The alien strategy is pro.
This discussion has been closed.