The problem with whips being a hard counter to grenade launchers.

FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
Whips cost 15 res, GLs cost 20 res.

Comments

• current1yoldcurrent1yold Join Date: 2012-09-10 Member: 158911Members
    edited January 2013
    Rifles cost 0 though.

What exactly are you suggesting? Make whips or gls cost more/less?

And just to throw out other numbers..

Shotguns (25) are a counter to fades/lerks (50/30).
    Jetpacks (10) are a counter to onos (75)
    mines(15) are a counter to skulks (0)

I'm not sure this suggests any thing......
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Which is why I research flamers first. By the time you're at GL (unless you've rushed the advanced armoury, in which case you've probably not got upgrades in...), any whips down will be mature already anyway.

BUT: if you do have a team clamouring for exos, then a coulpe of jetpackers with GLs can be very useful to keep those trundling coffins alive a little longer. Bit niche, really, IMHO.

GLs help the marine turtle too much, while not being so useful in attacking because of the whip's grenade knockback, I think.

The other side of the argument is that if an alien comm is spamming whips down, they are either really hurting their economy, or they have more than enough res towers already. In both cases, GLs are not the answer to the problem...
  • HockeybeardHockeybeard Join Date: 2013-01-25 Member: 181995Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Rifles cost 0.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And gunning down a whip costs roughly 2 clips.

I think the bigger problem is that Whips are a hard counter at all, need to implement them as a soft-counter instead. Maybe a miss-rate or a cooldown on knocking nades back? Random knockback trajectory?
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    I don't see whips being a hard counter to GLs being any sort of issue. If fact I'm glad it does.
    Whips are the only thing preventing a lone or even multiple marines w/ JP rushing into your hive and destroying all your upgrades and then being able to fly back to safety just to rinse and repeat.

Solo JP's w/ shotgun can be a pain too as they are able to do the same thing but they have to actually get in close to take out upgrades and they can only kill them one at a time. This gives aliens a chance to kill him before he does too much damage, where as JP's w/ GL can lobe nades from a safe distance and possible take out multiples upgrades at once.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2066445:date=Jan 25 2013, 10:07 AM:name=Frothybeverage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frothybeverage @ Jan 25 2013, 10:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066445"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Whips cost 15 res, GLs cost 20 res.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    For everything else, there's MasterCard
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Trust me, it was worse when whips were soft counters to GLs.
  • DamDSxDamDSx Join Date: 2004-08-10 Member: 30506Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2066450:date=Jan 25 2013, 01:13 PM:name=Hockeybeard)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hockeybeard @ Jan 25 2013, 01:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066450"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And gunning down a whip costs roughly 2 clips.

I think the bigger problem is that Whips are a hard counter at all, need to implement them as a soft-counter instead. Maybe a miss-rate or a cooldown on knocking nades back? Random knockback trajectory?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ive had whips knock nades back at me around corners, that is freaking ridiculous. Im in for random trajectory, or at least not knocking around corners.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2066448:date=Jan 25 2013, 09:12 AM:name=Roobubba)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Roobubba @ Jan 25 2013, 09:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066448"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Which is why I research flamers first. By the time you're at GL (unless you've rushed the advanced armoury, in which case you've probably not got upgrades in...), any whips down will be mature already anyway.

BUT: if you do have a team clamouring for exos, then a coulpe of jetpackers with GLs can be very useful to keep those trundling coffins alive a little longer. Bit niche, really, IMHO.

GLs help the marine turtle too much, while not being so useful in attacking because of the whip's grenade knockback, I think.

The other side of the argument is that if an alien comm is spamming whips down, they are either really hurting their economy, or they have more than enough res towers already. In both cases, GLs are not the answer to the problem...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How many alien comms actually put a number of whips down BEFORE nades hit the field? At 15 res each and needing multiple per room (multiple per door if you are using them as anti-marine rather than just anti-nade) covering anything but your most vulnerable or important areas seems like a fairly bad idea until you have or would have 3 hives.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2066510:date=Jan 25 2013, 06:10 PM:name=DamDSx)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DamDSx @ Jan 25 2013, 06:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066510"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ive had whips knock nades back at me around corners, that is freaking ridiculous. Im in for random trajectory, or at least not knocking around corners.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The knocking them through walls and corners is a bug that has been fixed just recently (none release I think, I don't remember :P)
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    i dont see an issue with whips, nobody has really complained about them until this post
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The knocking them through walls and corners is a bug that has been fixed just recently<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Can't be true, yesterday I had a whip knocking em while I was in a vent just under where whip was
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    Some weeks ago I made a suggestion for giving the gl an alternative fire, where he charges up in order to shoot grenades with more velocity. Whips would then not be able to deflect direct hits from fully charged grenades. Fully charged grenades would explode on impact. The mechanism would be: Hold right mouse, wait for charge, release. This would reduce the dps of the grenades (charging means slower rate of fire) if whipse are involved. It would also provide an interesting alt fire for the gl and might make it more useful in combat.

The fact that an anti structure weapon is hardcountered by a structure is simply not logical.
  • HockeybeardHockeybeard Join Date: 2013-01-25 Member: 181995Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2066573:date=Jan 25 2013, 12:28 PM:name=bERt0r)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bERt0r @ Jan 25 2013, 12:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066573"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The fact that an anti structure weapon is hardcountered by a structure is simply not logical.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is what I was referring to above, and why I think making it more of a soft counter would be better.
  • Cat-PokerCat-Poker Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156670Members
    I think it is fine. If a lone whip is causing trouble for you, use some teamwork (who would of thought?) and call over for a guy with a rifle. Or hell, just use your pistol.
  • Brad_RBrad_R pandas | brad Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8273Members, Constellation
    Sounds like somebody blew themselves up.
  • buhehebuhehe Join Date: 2012-05-15 Member: 152140Members
    I think 1 whip shouldn't negate 1 GL, as it is now (right?).

Though, I'm against whips randomly missing grenades, luck-based mechanics can be pretty frustrating.

I'd simply increase the cooldown between "Whacks", so that a single whip can, say, bounce 2-3 grenades instead of 4.
    Which means a single whip will whack the first and third grenade, letting the second and fourth through (assuming you fire those 4 grenades as fast as u can)

Hence it would take 2 whips to hard counter 1 GL.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2066450:date=Jan 25 2013, 10:13 AM:name=Hockeybeard)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hockeybeard @ Jan 25 2013, 10:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066450"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And gunning down a whip costs roughly 2 clips.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Which costs 1 res for the commander to give you 5 clips. Non-issue. Whips cost 15 res. Killing them <u><b>IS</b></u> a big blow.
    <!--quoteo(post=2066450:date=Jan 25 2013, 10:13 AM:name=Hockeybeard)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hockeybeard @ Jan 25 2013, 10:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066450"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the bigger problem is that Whips are a hard counter at all, need to implement them as a soft-counter instead. Maybe a miss-rate or a cooldown on knocking nades back? Random knockback trajectory?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

All of those were tried during beta. They made whips effectively useless and GLs were rampant. The random trajectory was the worst as more often than not it would throw the grenade into another alien structure. Whips were subsequently not used outside of a late game res sink (which disappeared entirely when TRes eggs were thrown into the mix). All they need to fix is the throwback working through walls so that banking grenades actually works and you don't get a grenade back in your face. Thus the whip can be handled in three ways. 1) Just shoot it 2) Bank grenades creatively 3) use a flamethrower to light it on fire preventing the throwback.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    You know if you spam whips with enough grenades they don't throw them all back? (This may have more to do with where you fire them I don't know) The amount of times I've seen <name> <gl> Whip is kind of shocking, considering they are meant to hard counter GL's.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    Remove whips, let the GL be soft countered by a player since it should be an anti-structure weapon and not countered by any structure. Especially with how absurd Crag healing is with a Gorge.

Gets old watching games with perfectly good Marine pushes getting shut down by 3x crags, a whip and a gorge because the whip hits every grenade back, the gorge and crags heal the whip. And the rifles/shotguns are usually on lifeforms or occasionally dumping meaningless damage into said structures.

Kthanks.
  • AxehiltAxehilt Join Date: 2003-09-12 Member: 20796Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2066593:date=Jan 25 2013, 02:49 PM:name=Ghosthree3)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ghosthree3 @ Jan 25 2013, 02:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066593"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You know if you spam whips with enough grenades they don't throw them all back? (This may have more to do with where you fire them I don't know) The amount of times I've seen <name> <gl> Whip is kind of shocking, considering they are meant to hard counter GL's.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's true that whips aren't an absolute 100% hard-counter to grenades for this reason.

But if the marine team is fielding 2-3 (or more!) GLs, they've already lost basically, and to actually overcome whip anti-GL tosses results in a ton of damage back at the marines themselves.

While the OP's argument doesn't really make sense (a counter costs less than what it counters? SHOCKER!), the fact that a <i>building</i> counters an anti-building weapon is the real oddity. There are many paths to better gameplay (pick one):
    1. The anti-grenade ability is a free upgrade for a whip after it's placed, but cuts the whip's HP and direct damage in half.
    2. The ability is no longer automatic, but a temporary buff for whips (like the activated passives on Crags) which costs team resources.

The former creates a more balanced counter system (Anti-GL whips remain awesome against GLs, but die even faster to LMG fire) while the latter increases alien commander engagement (which is sorely lacking compared to the marine team; although admittedly this is a pretty minor improvement and what alien commanders really need is a medpack-like expenditure which has them continually interacting with fights and expending resources.)

And those are just two quick suggestions. I'm sure even better ideas exist.
  • DeityDeity Join Date: 2012-01-31 Member: 142843Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2066445:date=Jan 25 2013, 11:07 AM:name=Frothybeverage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frothybeverage @ Jan 25 2013, 11:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066445"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Whips cost 15 res, GLs cost 20 res.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What a worthless post.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    You can shoot the whips with an LMG and they die.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2066622:date=Jan 26 2013, 07:44 AM:name=SixtyWattMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SixtyWattMan @ Jan 26 2013, 07:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066622"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You can shoot the whips with an LMG and they die.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How long have you been sitting on this information!
  • KilledByDeathKilledByDeath Join Date: 2012-12-26 Member: 176308Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sentries should shoot down Bile Bomb it's only fair right
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2066447:date=Jan 25 2013, 09:09 AM:name=current1y)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (current1y @ Jan 25 2013, 09:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066447"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Rifles cost 0 though.

What exactly are you suggesting? Make whips or gls cost more/less?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Make them the same price.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And just to throw out other numbers..

Shotguns (25) are a counter to fades/lerks (50/30).
    Jetpacks (10) are a counter to onos (75)
    mines(15) are a counter to skulks (0)

I'm not sure this suggests any thing......<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Player skill has an affect on all of those things.
    Just because a shotgun CAN kill a Fade, doesn't mean it will.
    The same goes for Jetpacks/Onos.
    An onos only needs to hit any specific Jetpacker 2-3 times.

Mines are OP, but with the fact that marines lose most of the time it doesn't matter.

<!--quoteo(post=2066581:date=Jan 25 2013, 11:40 AM:name=Brad_R)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brad_R @ Jan 25 2013, 11:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066581"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sounds like somebody blew themselves up.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Actually, I com most of the time.

I just think it's silly that a structure counters an anti-structure weapon.
  • Omar - The WireOmar - The Wire Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165320Members
    I will agree that the whips throwback range is ridiculous. I can fire about 15 feet to the right, past the whip and it'll throw the grenade back.
  • KilledByDeathKilledByDeath Join Date: 2012-12-26 Member: 176308Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2066636:date=Jan 25 2013, 01:55 PM:name=Omar - The Wire)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Omar - The Wire @ Jan 25 2013, 01:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066636"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I will agree that the whips throwback range is ridiculous. I can fire about 15 feet to the right, past the whip and it'll throw the grenade back.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's also hilarious when you bounce the Grenade off a wall around the corner, and the grenade travels back to you in the exact same trajectory and angle.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    As long as GL player damage remains where it is, I refuse to acknowledge it as an "anti structure" weapon.
    Once that's fixed then we can talk about structures hard countering a weapon.
    Until then, such an idea would just allow those GLs to be an unchallenged spam fest of splash damage.
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2066655:date=Jan 25 2013, 01:22 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Jan 25 2013, 01:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066655"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As long as GL player damage remains where it is, I refuse to acknowledge it as an "anti structure" weapon.
    Once that's fixed then we can talk about structures hard countering a weapon.
    Until then, such an idea would just allow those GLs to be an unchallenged spam fest of splash damage.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I counter GLs with Bone Wall.
  • SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
    edited January 2013
    Aim lower, problem solved.

You're talking about a gun that can one-shot multiple skulks. Point me at a similar mechanic for Aliens to one shot several Marines, then we can have a discussion.

And no, Spores do not one-shot Marines.

EDIT:

You're looking at it backwards, too. If one Marine with a GL hits the field, how much will it cost the Aliens to put whips at every important juncture?