Your input needed!

HughHugh CameramanSan Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
<div class="IPBDescription">Go big, or go the same?</div>Hi Everyone!

Your input is needed. <a href="http://en.twitch.tv/esltv/b/339118814" target="_blank">Remember this?</a>

If you had the chance to be in an arena five times that size, with all the cameras, the players, the casters and the people from UWE, would you take it?

In about a months time, there will be an NS2 competitive event in Cologne (Still working on a North American one guys!). Everyone will be welcome to attend. Admission will be free of charge. Amazing play is guaranteed, audience participation assured, drinks with Hugh optional (and messy).

For those in the EU, and those everywhere else who are moneybags, would you come to this? Would you come to the biggest NS2 event in the history of ever?

Comments

• wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    I'd like that money to be spent giving me more than 70 fps in combat. An event lasts a night, good fps lasts forever.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    That wasn't his question Wiry. *shrugs* They already know about the FPS issues.

Anyways, I'm in full support of these events. Unfortunately no, I wouldn't be able to go due to $$.

But these events are really good. The game needs it!
    So yeah, go big! NS2 deserves to be big, super big!
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=2065646:date=Jan 24 2013, 09:32 AM:name=wiry)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wiry @ Jan 24 2013, 09:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2065646"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd like that money to be spent giving me more than 70 fps in combat. An event lasts a night, good fps lasts forever.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is not a helpful reply to a very exciting opportunity for the NS2 community to do something amazing, together. Developer, community, and competitive players. I encourage you to go and look at the cost of programmers, and compare that cost to that of hosting an event like this. I encourage you also to read the Mythical Man Month. And get perspective.

And I encourage EVERYONE to get amazingly excited for this. 80,000 people saw NS2 up in lights last time. This is your chance to be very much a part of that... Now, if you are in France, the UK, wherever...

<b>Would you come to this? Would you party with your fellow NS2ers?</b>
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I would love to come to this except that damn Atlantic ocean keeps getting in the way.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=2065652:date=Jan 24 2013, 09:41 AM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Jan 24 2013, 09:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2065652"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would love to come to this except that damn Atlantic ocean keeps getting in the way.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hmmm. Perhaps we could just remove the Atlantic ocean?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2065654:date=Jan 23 2013, 11:43 PM:name=Strayan (NS2HD))--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Strayan (NS2HD) @ Jan 23 2013, 11:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2065654"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hmmm. Perhaps we could just remove the Atlantic ocean?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think I know a few of my countrymen who can arrange that. Water is not match for us...
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Cologne is a 2h30m train ride away from Amsterdam, but unfortunately the event is held two days before one of the busiest events at my job. This means lots of overtime and certainly no time off from work. :( Wish I could attend, but alas, the gods of timing have it in for me.
  • Warrior JWarrior J Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172431Members, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    east coast if possible please! =D
  • semihandysemihandy Florida Join Date: 2012-05-24 Member: 152537Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2065644:date=Jan 23 2013, 06:29 PM:name=Strayan (NS2HD))--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Strayan (NS2HD) @ Jan 23 2013, 06:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2065644"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->(Still working on a North American one guys!).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yay!

Also, I'm super excited about this event. NS2 getting big is what we all want :D. Unfortunately, the distance makes it extremely difficult for me to make it, but I will definitely be watching from my desk.
  • VenatosVenatos Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149762Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    i would like to come, the distance would be manageable. its pretty likely that ill have to work that day (whateverday it is... no free weekends for me :( ) so i would need to try and get someone to cover for me. but let me know when and where and ill try to be there.
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2065651:date=Jan 24 2013, 01:37 AM:name=Strayan (NS2HD))--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Strayan (NS2HD) @ Jan 24 2013, 01:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2065651"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>Would you come to this? Would you party with your fellow NS2ers?</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<b>Yes.</b> Ofcourse! ;)
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=2065654:date=Jan 23 2013, 06:43 PM:name=Strayan (NS2HD))--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Strayan (NS2HD) @ Jan 23 2013, 06:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2065654"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hmmm. Perhaps we could just remove the Atlantic ocean?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Can you make us a bridge?
  • JuCCiJuCCi Join Date: 2011-08-08 Member: 114961Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Do it up UWE, id come if i was not poor. Makes sure there is alot of ######s and blow.....
  • ReekahReekah Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168593Members
    Will be there :) 2h car drive to cologne.
  • bLink`bLink` Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146506Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited January 2013
    Buy me a plane ticket, I'd go! I already spent my money for a plane ticket to go somewhere else ;[

& maybe post this on public too? not just the comp scene
  • koewikoewi Join Date: 2007-08-25 Member: 61984Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I just posted a news for the german community.
    Lets hope, that it will reach many people, who live near cologne ;).
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2065646:date=Jan 24 2013, 12:32 AM:name=wiry)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wiry @ Jan 24 2013, 12:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2065646"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd like that money to be spent giving me more than 70 fps in combat. An event lasts a night, good fps lasts forever.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What a low and egocentric comment. Just because you lost the semifinals.. very disappointing wiry.

Personally I'd love to come myself, and meet some of you guys.
    However my financial situation is not the best at the moment, but we will see. Maybe I can make it.

What time of day will the event begin?
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    Yeah, I agree Swalk.. the comment was uncalled for.

NS2 deserves to be big! I'm completely on board with this..

(make something for NA please) :D
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->**snipped** Please be nice to fellow community members.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2065770:date=Jan 24 2013, 07:18 AM:name=wiry)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wiry @ Jan 24 2013, 07:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2065770"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->**snipped** Please be nice to fellow community members.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Personal attack is not very effective.

I wouldn't expect UWE to do something like this if they didn't have the extra money to do it and had to take money away from development. So I'm pretty sure I'm not the one acting with idiocy here.
  • VindalooVindaloo Join Date: 2012-12-04 Member: 174127Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    Is this gonna be part of IEM (edit: meaning Gamescom) series? They usually start the season in Cologne. If so, then count me in, I wanna see it all!

EDIT: Never mind, Gamescom is at August, that's more than months away.
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hell yeah, I would bring all my ns2 buddies from munich.

I have long waited to finally speak face-to-face with Mr. Flayra and the other bunch after all those years of e-mailing, this would be the chance i guess.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    edited January 2013
    If you're looking for actual input, I think I need way improved spectating features and content built around it before I get excited about these. As it is right now, I'm mostly interested in seeing bunch of the more articulate community members getting interviewed.

If you want me interested, have those articulate guys maybe go through their thoughts about rounds, gameplay and all that. Right now there's next to zero in depth coverage visible anywhere.

So yeah, if you're just checking for participants, I think it's a bit of a long and expensive ride from Finland considering the level of content. I might consider it if the game gets absolutely insanely awesome and speccing it becomes loads of fun, but for now it's a strict no-go.
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2065829:date=Jan 24 2013, 10:31 AM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Jan 24 2013, 10:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2065829"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you're looking for actual input, I think I need way improved spectating features and content built around it before I get excited about these. As it is right now, I'm mostly interested in seeing bunch of the more articulate community members getting interviewed.

If you want me interested, have those articulate guys maybe go through their thoughts about rounds, gameplay and all that. Right now there's next to zero in depth coverage visible anywhere.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    First person spectate should be coming in the content patch in febuary I think.
    So it should be in, in time for this event :) Hope there will be alot of focus on spectating the players views. The overview is cool for checking out the overall map, but I think the main thing to watch are the players perspective.

As for the interviews, yes!
    I would really like more interviews with the players between the rounds, having them analyze the rounds. That could be awesome.
    It wasn't much we saw in that regard at the past event.
  • ForlornHopeForlornHope Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18675Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited January 2013
    The idea of being trapped in a room full of exceptional and over-enthusiastic NS2 players and a bar sounds great! :)

If any UK people are thinking about it, I just shopped about and found I could get a return flight to/from Weeze and a return train to/from Colgne for about £100 total. That's from Edinburgh and I can imagine flights are more common (and therefore possibly cheaper?) from major airports.

I need exact dates, Hugh, or I have no idea of if the travel is affordable, how many days I need to book off work or if it's clashing with another big event I have around then.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    Jan 24 00:56:03 <snb> i used to live in cologne and am still only like an hour away
    Jan 24 00:56:16 <snb> but i will totally not go into a room of sweaty nerds
  • GamerkatzeGamerkatze Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153711Members
    edited January 2013
    ill be there if its going to happen :)

cant we just have a poll with people saying yes so you guys know how many people will come ? (its not that accurate but atleast its something ^^)
  • Ender_74Ender_74 Join Date: 2011-01-28 Member: 79329Members
    Considering the logistic and cost of traveling to such an event, I would prefer to have a NS2 LAN Party weekend-wide with the ENSL as the main event for the Saturday evening. In that case an entry fee would be more that justified and I would pay it gladly. Besides the German community is quite active between HBZ and others, I'm sure they could help in a way.

Ok I'm dreaming, especially considering the 1st of March isn't that far away (@ForlornHope: there you go)... still... food for thought.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2065863:date=Jan 24 2013, 12:41 PM:name=halfofaheaven)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (halfofaheaven @ Jan 24 2013, 12:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2065863"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Jan 24 00:56:03 <snb> i used to live in cologne and am still only like an hour away
    Jan 24 00:56:16 <snb> but i will totally not go into a room of sweaty nerds<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sweaty nerds are the best kind of nerds!

I hope as many as possible will make it there, regardless of whether it ends up being in the large arena or the same studio as last time. The previous event was a lot of fun for everyone who was there, and I'm sure this one will be too.
  • ForlornHopeForlornHope Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18675Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited January 2013
    Cool. I can make the date, I just need to justify the expense to get there. How long did the event/party go on for last time and what happened after the cameras were switched off?