Fighting onos with exo suit

sharnrocksharnrock Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166084Members
<div class="IPBDescription">clipping problems?</div>Sometimes when I'm in an exo suit and an onos gets close to me, I will clip through him. I've had this happen a few times and I always die. Are my bullets no longer hitting him if I can't see his face? It's pretty frustrating when I shoot the thing as it's charging a good 30-40 feet at me. Then I clip into his belly and don't seem to do anymore damage.

Comments

• MakasMakas Join Date: 2013-01-15 Member: 179678Members
    You're still doing damage. The hitbox is all over your face.
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    Yeah rip the onos's guts with your iron fist !
  • MobyMoby Join Date: 2009-08-13 Member: 68450Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Have seen that too. Seems to be an bug, if you ask me.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2063146:date=Jan 19 2013, 02:47 PM:name=Moby)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Moby @ Jan 19 2013, 02:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2063146"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Have seen that too. Seems to be an bug, if you ask me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's not a bug, but its not ideal either. The problem is the Onos is so large, that having a collision box that fits exactly to him (which was how it was initially) made him very frustrating to navigate through the maps with, as he would continuously be getting stuck on and stopped by many areas on the map. So, rather then reducing the size of the Onos, which would have made him a lot less impressive, we reduced the collision, and it made it much easier to navigate the maps.

The downside, of course, is that large sections of the player model end up clipping through other players, and level geometry. This is something we'd like to try and address at some point, to see if there are some ways to improve it, but at the moment it is not a high priority.

--Cory
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Its no bug, its a feature of the terrible collision system.
  • weezlweezl Join Date: 2008-07-04 Member: 64557Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2063280:date=Jan 19 2013, 07:59 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Jan 19 2013, 07:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2063280"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's not a bug, but its not ideal either. The problem is the Onos is so large, that having a collision box that fits exactly to him (which was how it was initially) made him very frustrating to navigate through the maps with, as he would continuously be getting stuck on and stopped by many areas on the map. So, rather then reducing the size of the Onos, which would have made him a lot less impressive, we reduced the collision, and it made it much easier to navigate the maps.

The downside, of course, is that large sections of the player model end up clipping through other players, and level geometry. This is something we'd like to try and address at some point, to see if there are some ways to improve it, but at the moment it is not a high priority.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's not as problematic as you'd think, Cory!
    I play alot Planetside 2 lately, and when driving the Vanu hovertank I experience exactly what you write about, but it's not a big problem! I only need to learn "how wide I am" and anticipate what passages are too narrow and what distance I need to keep to obstacles.
    Please stop overdoing on making this magnificent game noobfriendly =)
    People will learn, part of what makes a game fun is improving your skill at it, a game isn't fun if you've reached your peak performance in it right as you jump in! There needs to be progression in developing your skill as a player. This whole console kiddie trend of shielding the short attention span casual noob players has to go! This currently is a dark age of gaming...
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <!--quoteo(post=2063280:date=Jan 19 2013, 03:59 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Jan 19 2013, 03:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2063280"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The downside, of course, is that large sections of the player model end up clipping through other players, and level geometry. This is something we'd like to try and address at some point, to see if there are some ways to improve it, but at the moment it is not a high priority.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->The problem is that the EXO gets no visibility when the Onos model overlaps the EXO. For battles of marine versus Onos it's not important, but for EXO versus Onos this is an issue. I'd love to know how this plays out...

I'm in an EXO and an Onos rushes me. He gets right in my face and when his model clips over me I lose all visibility. When I fire, what am I hitting? If he is standing at a 90 degree angle to me and his model is clipping over me from the right, if I am shooting forward am I hitting anything? How am I supposed to tell the difference when I can only see the inside of the Onos model?

While I can appreciate the collision problems with the Onos, the EXO becomes a victim of the model clipping. Shooting blind is not really an ideal situation when if there was full model collision I would be able to see the Onos' snout and horn, as well as the surrounding area. As it stands now I have to open my map to see where the Onos is with respect to my position once his model clips over me.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2063294:date=Jan 19 2013, 02:19 PM:name=weezl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (weezl @ Jan 19 2013, 02:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2063294"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's not as problematic as you'd think, Cory!
    I play alot Planetside 2 lately, and when driving the Vanu hovertank I experience exactly what you write about, but it's not a big problem! I only need to learn "how wide I am" and anticipate what passages are too narrow and what distance I need to keep to obstacles.
    People will learn, part of what makes a game fun is improving your skill at it, a game isn't fun if you've reached your peak performance in it right as you jump in! There needs to be progression in developing your skill as a player. This whole console kiddie trend of shielding the short attention span casual noob players has to go! This currently is a dark age of gaming...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Seems to me that the disadvantage of not being able to pass through a hallway in ns2 (removing the possibility of onos attack by that path and more often than not forcing a large detour) cannot be compared to having to drive around a rock formation as opposed to through it in ps2. Not to mention that ns2 maps are indoor and thus already heavily limit mobility compared to the wide outdoor terrain of ps2.
  • AxehiltAxehilt Join Date: 2003-09-12 Member: 20796Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2063294:date=Jan 19 2013, 02:19 PM:name=weezl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (weezl @ Jan 19 2013, 02:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2063294"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's not as problematic as you'd think, Cory!
    People will learn, part of what makes a game fun is improving your skill at it, a game isn't fun if you've reached your peak performance in it right as you jump in! There needs to be progression in developing your skill as a player. This whole console kiddie trend of shielding the short attention span casual noob players has to go! This currently is a dark age of gaming...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In decades of reading forum posts about games, I think this is the first I have ever heard seriously say (paraphrased), <!--coloro:#FFFF00--><span style="color:#FFFF00"><!--/coloro--><i>"You know what would make this game more fun? GETTING STUCK ON THE TERRAIN MORE!"</i><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> *

Game depth can come at a high cost in noob friendliness or a low cost. Features which have a low cost result in elegant games like Chess. Games which can be described as "minutes to learn, a lifetime to master".

Game depth is important (it's the "lifetime to master" part.) Purchasing a tiny scrap of game depth (movement skill) at a massive cost in noob friendliness (getting stuck on terrain constantly) would quite obviously not be a good idea. You want to purchase the largest amount of game depth at the lowest cost in noob friendliness. That's how good games are designed.

(* In fairness, I might have sarcastically made this statement about Warhammer Online. Anyone who played that game and got stuck on a rock knows what I'm talking about...)
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2063319:date=Jan 19 2013, 09:07 PM:name=1dominator1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1dominator1 @ Jan 19 2013, 09:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2063319"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Seems to me that the disadvantage of not being able to pass through a hallway in ns2 (removing the possibility of onos attack by that path and more often than not forcing a large detour) cannot be compared to having to drive around a rock formation as opposed to through it in ps2. Not to mention that ns2 maps are indoor and thus already heavily limit mobility compared to the wide outdoor terrain of ps2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Obviously no one is talking about onoses being locked out of anywhere that isn't a vent!
    Very nonconstructive of you to intentionally "misunderstand" my post like that.

If you really didn't understand, I mentioned not being able to fit through a passage, as part of explaining how one has to adapt to maneuvering a model that isn't a slim soldier like one's used to from 99.9% of FPS:es. NOT that I'd like to see onos be too wide to go through certain areas!

<!--quoteo(post=2063363:date=Jan 19 2013, 10:53 PM:name=Axehilt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Axehilt @ Jan 19 2013, 10:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2063363"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In decades of reading forum posts about games, I think this is the first I have ever heard seriously say (paraphrased), <!--coloro:#FFFF00--><span style="color:#FFFF00"><!--/coloro--><i>"You know what would make this game more fun? GETTING STUCK ON THE TERRAIN MORE!"</i><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> *

Game depth can come at a high cost in noob friendliness or a low cost. Features which have a low cost result in elegant games like Chess. Games which can be described as "minutes to learn, a lifetime to master".

Game depth is important (it's the "lifetime to master" part.) Purchasing a tiny scrap of game depth (movement skill) at a massive cost in noob friendliness (getting stuck on terrain constantly) would quite obviously not be a good idea. You want to purchase the largest amount of game depth at the lowest cost in noob friendliness. That's how good games are designed.

(* In fairness, I might have sarcastically made this statement about Warhammer Online. Anyone who played that game and got stuck on a rock knows what I'm talking about...)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And no, I'm not talking for onos stuck issues either.
    There can still be smooth collision with a bigger collision model.
    Getting stuck on every nook and cranny is YOUR addition, nothing taken from what I wrote!
    <!--quoteo(post=2063367:date=Jan 19 2013, 04:59 PM:name=weezl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (weezl @ Jan 19 2013, 04:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2063367"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And no, I'm not talking for onos stuck issues either.
    There can still be smooth collision with a bigger collision model.
    Getting stuck on every nook and cranny is YOUR addition, nothing taken from what I wrote!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Er, but the developers have basically done exactly that (smooth collision on a big model) and you criticized their approach...
  • WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2063363:date=Jan 19 2013, 03:53 PM:name=Axehilt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Axehilt @ Jan 19 2013, 03:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2063363"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In decades of reading forum posts about games, I think this is the first I have ever heard seriously say (paraphrased), <!--coloro:#FFFF00--><span style="color:#FFFF00"><!--/coloro--><i>"You know what would make this game more fun? GETTING STUCK ON THE TERRAIN MORE!"</i><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> *<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No matter what way you cut it, losing 75 res because of an ill-placed prop (that the Onos could probably knock over in RL) is not worth the "Game depth".
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Simple way to fix this? Make the collision happen more to the FRONT of the Onos instead of the middle.
  • sharnrocksharnrock Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166084Members
    I just want to know if I'm still hitting the thing when I'm stuck in him. If the game gets ugly for a split second that's not so bad. If the game makes it so I'm unable to kill a charging onos in an exosuit, that's very frustrating.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    "Er, but the developers have basically done exactly that (smooth collision on a big model) and you criticized their approach... "

I think you see sarcasm where there is none.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    simple sollution, make the onos tinier, not too tiny though, or he loses his purpose. maybe, the size of a skulk? :D
    <!--quoteo(post=2063372:date=Jan 19 2013, 11:08 PM:name=Axehilt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Axehilt @ Jan 19 2013, 11:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2063372"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Er, but the developers have basically done exactly that (smooth collision on a big model) and you criticized their approach...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Making the whole collision model of the onos bigger does not equal it suddenly starting getting stuck on the tiniest details that you're so scarred by from your WH Online. You're all defensive fanboy over something I'm not even talking about. Not constructive.

To say it again: I think the reason why the collision "box" of the onos is smaller than the hitbox and the visual model, isn't such a big problem. To make NS2 more visually appealing I'd like the physics/collision model of the onos to be increased to match the other two geometries. This would NOT make him get stuck on small objects. About all it would do is make onos players need to be aware of doorway edges. And in cases of partly walking into one I don't mean a dead stop like in NS1, but some sort of soft collision leading to deflection and some loss of velocity.

If you want to criticize what I've been saying stick to THAT, not something you make up that I've never mentioned, as has only been so far.
    Thanks.
  • TSADroneTSADrone Join Date: 2012-12-01 Member: 173807Members
    Why not just give him a second larger collision box that can only collide with exos and then up the range at which exos can be hit by the onos attack if needed.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=2063452:date=Jan 20 2013, 02:02 AM:name=weezl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (weezl @ Jan 20 2013, 02:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2063452"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Making the whole collision model of the onos bigger does not equal it suddenly starting getting stuck on the tiniest details that you're so scarred by from your WH Online. You're all defensive fanboy over something I'm not even talking about. Not constructive.

To say it again: I think the reason why the collision "box" of the onos is smaller than the hitbox and the visual model, isn't such a big problem. To make NS2 more visually appealing I'd like the physics/collision model of the onos to be increased to match the other two geometries. This would NOT make him get stuck on small objects. About all it would do is make onos players need to be aware of doorway edges. And in cases of partly walking into one I don't mean a dead stop like in NS1, but some sort of soft collision leading to deflection and some loss of velocity.

If you want to criticize what I've been saying stick to THAT, not something you make up that I've never mentioned, as has only been so far.
    Thanks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Cory JUST said on this very same page in the topic that they DID try that, and that the onos did infact get stuck. So you saying it would not be a problem is a moot point, as it has already been tested.
    <!--quoteo(post=2063457:date=Jan 20 2013, 02:15 AM:name=DC_Darkling)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DC_Darkling @ Jan 20 2013, 02:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2063457"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Cory JUST said on this very same page in the topic that they DID try that, and that the onos did infact get stuck. So you saying it would not be a problem is a moot point, as it has already been tested.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And after a huge unnecessary and unrelated sidetrack were back at my very first post (I'm repeating here) where I mean It's just a matter of adapting as a player to being in control of a physical entity significantly wider than the size you're normally used to, but still having the same POV to which you're used to having a "normal" size/shape from your IRL POV and that you're used to controlling in 99.9% of FPS:es.

I learned it fine in Planetside 2, and it's a skill everybody has to learn when driving a car, and if I can learn it so can others.

I tried coming with something constructive to try to solve a problem (the clipping, remember?) but all that happened was people use dirty tactics to try to discredit my post bringing things up I have never talked about, for what? Winning over a person on the internet? At the same time not contributing ANYTHING constructive to the problem - the clipping, remember?

Last time I do this.
    And btw, here's a very elegant solution that I wished would be here before I posted so my first post could just been a +1
    <!--quoteo(post=2063456:date=Jan 20 2013, 02:14 AM:name=TSADrone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TSADrone @ Jan 20 2013, 02:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2063456"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why not just give him a second larger collision box that can only collide with exos and then up the range at which exos can be hit by the onos attack if needed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1
    <!--quoteo(post=2063524:date=Jan 19 2013, 10:33 PM:name=weezl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (weezl @ Jan 19 2013, 10:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2063524"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And after a huge unnecessary and unrelated sidetrack were back at my very first post (I'm repeating here) where I mean It's just a matter of adapting as a player to being in control of a physical entity significantly wider than the size you're normally used to, but still having the same POV to which you're used to having a "normal" size/shape from your IRL POV and that you're used to controlling in 99.9% of FPS:es.

I learned it fine in Planetside 2, and it's a skill everybody has to learn when driving a car, and if I can learn it so can others.

I tried coming with something constructive to try to solve a problem (the clipping, remember?) but all that happened was people use dirty tactics to try to discredit my post bringing things up I have never talked about, for what? Winning over a person on the internet? At the same time not contributing ANYTHING constructive to the problem - the clipping, remember?

Last time I do this.
    And btw, here's a very elegant solution that I wished would be here before I posted so my first post could just been a +1

+1<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's great that you don't understand the difference between 1st Person Only and Optional 3rd Person. It's great that you don't care about the direct feedback of the devs and playtesters actually playing with what you're recommending. It's great that you want the game to be driven into the ground with terrible gameplay.

But the reality is that it's a bad idea, and others readily identify it as such.

Again, make a suggestion to add game depth in one of the thousand other ways that the game could be deeper. One of the thousand other ways that doesn't completely screw over smooth gameplay.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Never had this happen. :|