Marine backward jump

TbbWTbbW Join Date: 2009-06-09 Member: 67759Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Howto?</div>Does anyone know how to do that back jump as marine?
I was in ns_docking as a skulk with celerity and chased after a marine in terminal and did a pass behind the CC and a marine just spawned at the ip.
I had issues keeping up with him until he hit the counter at the other side at the room where the exit to landing pad was since he made some crazy jump backwards that made him jump far and fast, is it a special macro or technique like the bunnyhop in ns1 ?

Comments

• LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • TbbWTbbW Join Date: 2009-06-09 Member: 67759Members
    It was repeated more then once by the same player so it had to be a macro or technique he used :)
    I just want to know if anyone is willing to tell me how to do it, i got a Logitech G110 keyboard so i can do macros if that's what he used.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    Its kind of a flick motion using more strafe than backwards. Good for covering distance when you still need to shoot at something. If you've played WoW its essentially the exact same sequence of keys you use to shoot and move as a hunter or some other range class.
  • AWhiteAWhite Join Date: 2007-07-26 Member: 61685Members
    strofix has it. You jump sideways not backwards, going backwards kills your movespeed so there is no momentum into the jump.
  • TbbWTbbW Join Date: 2009-06-09 Member: 67759Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2062819:date=Jan 18 2013, 10:07 PM:name=|strofix|)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (|strofix| @ Jan 18 2013, 10:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062819"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Its kind of a flick motion using more strafe than backwards. Good for covering distance when you still need to shoot at something. If you've played WoW its essentially the exact same sequence of keys you use to shoot and move as a hunter or some other range class.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=2062822:date=Jan 18 2013, 10:09 PM:name=AWhite)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AWhite @ Jan 18 2013, 10:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062822"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->strofix has it. You jump sideways not backwards, going backwards kills your movespeed so there is no momentum into the jump.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ah, so basicly move the mouse 90 degrees to the left, hold A, jump, relese A and move the mouse 90 degrees to the right ?
    ( A as in the WASD for movement )
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Never hit the S key. I think the speed cap on the darn thing should be removed, since any decent player will strafe to go backwards anyway. It's just an irritating mechanic that gets inexperienced players killed.
  • oMeoMe Join Date: 2004-02-01 Member: 25884Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2062900:date=Jan 18 2013, 05:59 PM:name=Squishpoke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squishpoke @ Jan 18 2013, 05:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062900"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Never hit the S key. I think the speed cap on the darn thing should be removed, since any decent player will strafe to go backwards anyway. It's just an irritating mechanic that gets inexperienced players killed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Good idea.. will change the win/loss a little bit with all those rookie players.
    But no backwards sprint!
  • AxehiltAxehilt Join Date: 2003-09-12 Member: 20796Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2062827:date=Jan 18 2013, 04:16 PM:name=TbbW)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TbbW @ Jan 18 2013, 04:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062827"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ah, so basicly move the mouse 90 degrees to the left, hold A, jump, relese A and move the mouse 90 degrees to the right ?
    ( A as in the WASD for movement )<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, that's the fastest you can move backwards.

Anything faster than that is just the bad netcode letting some lagger warp around. (If not outright cheating, but I <i>think </i>it's just bad netcode.)
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2062900:date=Jan 19 2013, 09:59 AM:name=Squishpoke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squishpoke @ Jan 19 2013, 09:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062900"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Never hit the S key. I think the speed cap on the darn thing should be removed, since any decent player will strafe to go backwards anyway. It's just an irritating mechanic that gets inexperienced players killed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Irritating only to people who are too lazy to learn how to overcome it. "Well, i'm going to eat dinner later anyway, why can't i eat it now for breakfast?"

Marine movement skill is one of the very few things left in ns2 that requires any kind of finesse. Any 'decent' player will just switch to holding S while shooting. Removing the backwards speed cap is a silly idea and a silly solution to alien/marine imbalance, just like increasing marine starting armour or rifle clip size.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2063063:date=Jan 18 2013, 10:59 PM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Jan 18 2013, 10:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2063063"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Irritating only to people who are too lazy to learn how to overcome it. "Well, i'm going to eat dinner later anyway, why can't i eat it now for breakfast?"

Marine movement skill is one of the very few things left in ns2 that requires any kind of finesse. Any 'decent' player will just switch to holding S while shooting. Removing the backwards speed cap is a silly idea and a silly solution to alien/marine imbalance, just like increasing marine starting armour or rifle clip size.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I may not be a very good player, but even I've already figured out the oh-so-skillful "finesse" of strafing backwards. (Come on, that's a joke compared to Q3 bhop and Tribes skiing and you know it). This mechanic is silly and only serves to get people killed when they accidentally press the S key.

I argue that it should simply be removed. The S key as it exists is an instant "gimp my movement" button, kind of like crouch except right in the middle of all your other movement keys. Removing this mechanic wouldn't remove marine's movement finesse. Instead it would free up marine's movement and allow you to do different combinations of strafing maneuvers, now that you don't have to avoid one of the 4 directions. I like freedom in movement. I don't like arbitrary restrictions just for the sake of it.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2063090:date=Jan 19 2013, 08:43 PM:name=Squishpoke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squishpoke @ Jan 19 2013, 08:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2063090"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I may not be a very good player, but even I've already figured out the oh-so-skillful "finesse" of strafing backwards. (Come on, that's a joke compared to Q3 bhop and Tribes skiing and you know it). This mechanic is silly and only serves to get people killed when they accidentally press the S key.

I argue that it should simply be removed. The S key as it exists is an instant "gimp my movement" button, kind of like crouch except right in the middle of all your other movement keys. Removing this mechanic wouldn't remove marine's movement finesse. Instead it would free up marine's movement and allow you to do different combinations of strafing maneuvers, now that you don't have to avoid one of the 4 directions. I like freedom in movement. I don't like arbitrary restrictions just for the sake of it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There's more to it than 'strafing backwards' and herp derping. <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect</a>

Full speed backwards means you don't need to predict skulk movement and dodge at all.

*edit*
    Also, i'm not comparing this to q3 movement or whatever, I said <b>one of the few areas left in ns2 that requires any kind of finesse</b>. I will continue to contest people who want to get rid of an already small handful of good, intuitive mechanics for the sake of 'casualisation'.
    What a very constructive discussion.
  • ViajeroViajero Join Date: 2012-09-21 Member: 160238Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Its called a Jetpack? :-P
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2063063:date=Jan 19 2013, 06:59 AM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Jan 19 2013, 06:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2063063"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Irritating only to people who are too lazy to learn how to overcome it. "Well, i'm going to eat dinner later anyway, why can't i eat it now for breakfast?"

Marine movement skill is one of the very few things left in ns2 that requires any kind of finesse. Any 'decent' player will just switch to holding S while shooting. Removing the backwards speed cap is a silly idea and a silly solution to alien/marine imbalance, just like increasing marine starting armour or rifle clip size.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If the 'finesse' is simply to learn the one, very simple trick to overcome it, and then practice it over and over until it becomes habit, then one could design the perfect game by scrambing your keyboard inputs randomly and forcing you to figure out which button does what in order to play the game. After all, it is easy to figure out what you have to do, but difficult to do it consistently, that's skill, right?

It's not 'finesse', or at least 'finesse' is not a positive thing when it is simply blunt force repetition with no actual thought involved.
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    With all due respect, Chris, you need to shh sometimes :)
    Prefacing your statement with the phrase 'with all due respect' does not alter the fact that what you are actually saying is merely 'shut up' and that it merits exactly the same response.
    Well, it's a gentle way of saying you're not really in a good position to comment on subject like this because you're not that good at the game yet and you don't fully understand how it works. It's a similar story in the wallhopping thread. Theorycrafting something you can't even do properly yet is a dangerous game to play. Sure, you can brazenly discredit some element of skill (or the utility of wallhop), but when it comes from a position of relative inexperience and/or incompetency, the statements seem rather hollow.
    An argument is sound or unsound regardless of who makes it. The argument itself is right or wrong, not the person.

If you disagree with the argument, fine, if you disagree with me personally, that's called a logical fallacy.
    Your arguments might be valid, but I don't believe that they are sound. The premises you supply are bound to be incorrect from your position though. Why? Because you can't do it yet and don't understand it.
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2063166:date=Jan 20 2013, 03:01 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Jan 20 2013, 03:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2063166"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If the 'finesse' is simply to learn the one, very simple trick to overcome it, and then practice it over and over until it becomes habit, then one could design the perfect game by scrambing your keyboard inputs randomly and forcing you to figure out which button does what in order to play the game. After all, it is easy to figure out what you have to do, but difficult to do it consistently, that's skill, right?

It's not 'finesse', or at least 'finesse' is not a positive thing when it is simply blunt force repetition with no actual thought involved.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Simply put, it isn't about learning a 'trick'. It's about an interesting movement limitation forcing you to move in creative ways in response to different enemy movements and directions, sometimes proactively. Dancing around skulks while still landing shots is beautiful to watch and incredibly fun to do. lolholdSkey dilutes the game, decreases player engagement, and very much lacks finesse.

I'm sure you've played WoW, or atleast i'm going to assume you have since almost everyone has. Slower backward movement speed is a fundamental part of how you approach the game, and i think you'd be laughed out of any wow forum suggesting it should be otherwise. Keep in mind WoW is one of the most polished and 'best feeling' games ever made, played by millions, not an elitist minority of keyboard input scrambling lovers.

Also, i'll just add that full backward speed was actually in the beta for a time and subsequently removed for very strong reasons.
    Actually I haven't played WoW, ever, I accidentally bought it when it was new out and returned it because I didn't realise you had to pay a subscription.

And it rather depends on what you call 'interesting'. Figuring out what to do in two minutes and then taking weeks to actually be able to do it consistently is not remotely 'interesting' to me. It's what stupid people do when faced with a difficult problem. They keep trying the same thing, sure it will work eventually, refusing to ever deviate from their established strategy, and eventually they get it to work by sheer persistence, but the result is not worth the investment.

I much prefer a challenge where, when faced with a problem and your initial solution doesn't work or is proving impractical or overly difficult, you find a better solution. I like say, kerbal space program, finding a better rocket design beyond 'make it bigger, fly it better' or figuring out how to use planetary bodies to slingshot you into transfers. Something that keeps the game changing and new and different. If the game can't supply that, it should simplify, give you the functionality that is not bound to any engaging challenge, don't force the idiot approach.

If you have to wrestle around horrible controls, it gets in the way of any sort of actual stimulating challenge. I don't want to have to press silly unintuitive button combinations to achieve the basic goal of 'walk backwards at normal speed'. I want to have actual interesting things to do, things that either involve always moving at slow speed backwards, or always moving at normal speed backwards. Either way I don't want touch typing to be a component of my basing movement controls in a game where basic movement controls are only a small component of the overall game. What about the teamwork, the strategy, the different ways it plays out every round, the different guns, the different aliens, the different environments from room to room, the different choices and decisions to be made every minute. Why do I have to master the mysterious forgotten art of 'moving backwards' before I get to the other bits?

It's like telling you you have to manually move every file off the DVD and into the right installation folder before you can play the game.
    edited January 2013
    The notion that to have certain skills that you perfect (by making adjustments, not by "refusing to deviate") is to deny the possibility of other interesting things is just plain silly. It really sounds to me that you want to play chess or some strategy game where dexterity is stripped away from the conditions of being good. You happen to be playing a shooter where you have to aim and a melee where you have to move quickly and creatively.

Maybe you would prefer something like frozen synapse or heroes of might and magic.
    HOMM is good, but it gets a bit repetitive.

I do like FPS games, I just think they are better used for other things than pure reflex vs reflex competition. They're certainly very good at that, but so can any genre be. See starcraft, or even speed chess.

If you want my example of a good fps/rts hybrid, empires mod does it very well under the right circumstances, the game generally has a lot of problems, but its vehicle combat is very enjoyable and interesting. It is quite hard to gauge your shots so they hit over long distances, and rotate through your various armor plates, and be aware of many different types of threats you might encounter, and fight different loadouts of enemy tanks, and all the while play a very NS-like strategic metagame on the terrain.

It's very easy to figure out how to drive vehicles, the turret follows the mouse perfectly, the vehicles go forward and backward and turn, there's no weird button combinations, it's just a pure match between who can take everything into account best, and blends really really well with the strategic portion, because you can always be communicating and talking while fighting in vehicles because it's not so hectic and chaotic as NS combat is.

Rest of the game isn't so good, but that bit works well, because it uses the same skills as the bit that wins or loses you the game, which is the strategic metagame. There's infantry combat too but it's a bit crap because the guns are all really powerful and often inaccurate.
    Cool story that I can't relate to (see how I avoid talking about things I don't know about? :P). Basically, if you want a game that doesn't rely highly on reflexes and is cosy for new players, the natural selection franchise is one the worst place to arrive at. Like I said before, rather than endorsing the obliteration of all things skillful, stick to servers of your ability instead.
    That again amounts to 'shut up I don't like you'.
    Kind of. I don't dislike you though. I just think it's a bizarre stance to wave around in this universe. I don't go to the HOMM forums and complain that it isn't skillful enough, for example.
    *shrug*

I like the game though, is the thing. It has a lot going for it, if I flat out hated/got nothing from the game I wouldn't bother playing it.

This is a game I mostly like but has one or two things that really drag it down, it is possible to have a lot of fun in it, but that doesn't mean it's perfect or that there is not room for improvement.

I appreciate that not everybody shares my interpretation of why the game is fun, and that not everyone enjoys it for the same reasons, but I don't feel that means I should shut up and not divert the forums from universal praise for the game. Everyone should post what they dislike, what they like, what they think should go, what they think should be added. That's what a discussion is. I don't really expect to change the game, but who honestly does? Even 'don't change anything ever it's perfect' will get ignored.
    Don't forget that my underlying point is that you don't understand the game in enough depth to comment with intelligence on certain elements of the game. I don't mean to say it insultingly but it's frustrating seeing people chime in on discussions in such a way that clouds the informed part of it.

Only later, did we delve into the depths of what you like in a game. You're entitled to try and get what you want but I can't help but feel like there a some serious fundamentals you're wanting to change and that you'd be better off investing your time into the game itself or into other game perhaps. I also appreciate that we have different interpretations of what makes a game fun. Your conception is one we all share though, we just happen to like the dexterity component as well (something that NS will always have).
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2063168:date=Jan 19 2013, 11:08 AM:name=Tweadle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tweadle @ Jan 19 2013, 11:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2063168"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->With all due respect, Chris, you need to shh sometimes :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Youre not very keen on making friends are you?