Had to uninstall tonight (rant)

DaRkL3AD3RDaRkL3AD3R Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178798Members
Was playing Aliens and just couldn't take the horrible balance issues. Being able to be one shot by a shotgun as a skulk with carapace from anything but point blank range is inexcusable. Nevermind the general imbalance of Exos vs Onos, jet packing welder vs gorge, etc. The survivability differences are huge. The offense differences are huge. It's kinda sad that I can see -400 on a single marine when playing as a Lerk, and he is still standing. No armory in sight, just a random 1v1 encounter. Ridiculous.

I want to love this game, but the balance issues have a huge impact on my gameplay as I take it way too seriously. When I get killed from hitbox lag and interp, it makes me rage. Yep Alt F4 are my friends most of the time I played this game. So I figured may as well press the final "I mad" button and uninstall.

I've been playing NS1 since around 2004 with a close friend of mine, doing comp stomps against 30 bots as us 2 Marines, and it was great times. I'm going to miss this game, and maybe one day if things get fixed I'll be down to join back up. But until then, peace.

Comments

• GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    Cases of denial such as this one always fascinate me.

The human mind is an amazing and terrifying thing.
  • unkindunkind Join Date: 2012-02-04 Member: 143563Members
    interp lag whatever it is really is ruining this game. holy Christ does that need fixed or improved at least.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    Yep... medpack spam is nothing new to NS2, it happened in NS1 too. As far as survivability goes, aliens can die pretty easily but marines take 3-4 bites from skulk, and 2-3 hits from onos or fade. Don't really see how that's more survivable. Trick is to just not run into bullets.
    <!--quoteo(post=2059131:date=Jan 11 2013, 07:03 AM:name=Davil)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Davil @ Jan 11 2013, 07:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059131"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yep... medpack spam is nothing new to NS2, it happened in NS1 too. As far as survivability goes, aliens can die pretty easily but marines take 3-4 bites from skulk, and 2-3 hits from onos or fade. Don't really see how that's more survivable. Trick is to just not run into bullets.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sometimes helping players along constructively is the way to go, I don't think this is one of those times though. This guy has clearly already made up his mind, and will not be coming back, so rather just tell him how it is, rather than holding his hand through the tough times.

You are wrong DaRkL3AD3R. Plain and simple.
    Its been said before, and it will be said again, until players finally stop caring. The alien team is highly overpowered at the moment. All collected data currently points to a massive alien advantage resulting in at least a 60/40 win advantage. The actual figures are probably much more skewed, around a 70/30 win advantage. If you are currently having issues, and finding the alien team to be too weak, then you should indeed get out now, because the only thing coming to the alien team is nerfs.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->No need for that. -Align<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    Calm down, don't compare NS2 to NS1 vs bots matches. I mean....what? Yeah hitreg, yeah balance, but you can really have fun in this game. Unless you are an angry kid.
  • statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    LOL gorgeous, funny ######.
  • Ra1nRa1n Join Date: 2004-02-22 Member: 26798Members
    people tend to forget the rts part of ns, if one side gets outplayed (sometimes 5 minutes is enough) the other side will have a serious tech/res advantage of course it's unbalanced at that point and often predicatble which side is gonna win. ns2 is faster paced then it's predecessor in that perspective (which is both good and bad i guess)
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    If they were jetpacking and or shotgunning then the game should be decided by then. I mean by that time you should have a high lifeform that you need to preserve and not get too greedy with. If not you should have leap to maneuver your way in such a manner that he uses up most of his jetpack fuel then you chomp and repeat. Shotguns are annoying and a wild card but remember it cost the player 20 res to you 0 res skulk. You just have to mislead them and avoid their cone of fire or stalk them until they are distracted and then attack. Some people have trouble aiming close range so if you do crazy jump maneuvers close range they might miss enough for you to finish them. Just do not hump their leg and try to get greedy with bites because they will kill you. Walljumps are very useful for disorienting players.
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2059149:date=Jan 11 2013, 01:36 PM:name=Ra1n)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ra1n @ Jan 11 2013, 01:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059149"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->people tend to forget the rts part of ns, if one side gets outplayed (sometimes 5 minutes is enough)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    there WAS rts part for ns1. the rts part for ns2 is too trivial, too obvious and almost non-existence. all about rt count balancing and preventing a rush or egglock
    A think a big reason why new players only seem to complain about aliens being under-powered, despite them being more powerful than the marines, is because losing as marines isn't painful.

I've noticed that a server is far more likely to clear out after a comprehensive alien defeat than a comprehensive marine defeat. Hell, I've even seen servers fill up during an epic marine turtle game. Turtling seems to be "enjoyable" for both teams when its the marines on the defensive.

I think that, had the game been released with a 60/40 marine win rate, quite a few more players would have stopped playing by now.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    One lvl3 shotgun hit can cause 4hp overkill on a cara skulk.

Rant: You are the Khamm. Kind of like Comm. If you choose Camo, your team will follow suit. Be brave.
  • CiroCiro Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178392Members
    I'd reinstalled. You just had a few bad games.

Work on your skulk play, learn the maps, and realize the strengths and weaknesses of Onos and gorges. Onos in my opinion, is a very powerful, game changing, evolution. In pubs, one can turn a marine dominated match into an alien victory; when played right. Gorges, with a few upgrades, are also capable of shift games.

I wouldn't get hung up about a few hard loses.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=2059175:date=Jan 11 2013, 08:56 AM:name=Ciro)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ciro @ Jan 11 2013, 08:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059175"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You just had a few bad games.

Work on your skulk play, learn the maps, and realize the strengths and weaknesses of Onos and gorges. Onos in my opinion, is a very powerful, game changing, evolution. In pubs, one can turn a marine dominated match into an alien victory; when played right. Gorges, with a few upgrades, are also capable of shift games.

I wouldn't get hung up about a few hard loses.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Very much this. No game is perfectly balanced, but NS2 is actually pretty close. It has it's issues but nothing that's insurmountable with good teamplay, tactics and skills. All of those are learn-able given time.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    I'm guessing OP used to be somewhat decent in NS1, is now getting stomped in NS2, and rather than learning to play again decided to uninstall.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    You need people who communicate (preferably with voice but hey text too, it's all good). If you're a rambo who just wants to run about on your own with no teamplay and care only about kills, then NS2 is not for you. <b>If you enjoy working as a team member with a bunch of like-minded people, this game offers some of the very best experiences to be had in online gaming right now.</b>

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->Don't antagonize other posters, please
    -Align<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Also lets be realistic here.

From his/her post I am asuming they played NS1 mostly versus bots.
    No matter how brilliantly coded.. in the end a bot is stupid.

It cant be compared to a experienced player.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2059310:date=Jan 11 2013, 11:49 AM:name=DC_Darkling)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DC_Darkling @ Jan 11 2013, 11:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059310"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also lets be realistic here.

From his/her post I am asuming they played NS1 mostly versus bots.
    No matter how brilliantly coded.. in the end a bot is stupid.

It cant be compared to a experienced player.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    In addition, the bot doesn't converse with you on voice chat, working with you to formulate, execute and evaluate strategies in game in real time! Teamwork > 'the average NS2 player'
  • VoodooHexVoodooHex Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153264Members
    Balance issues? The game is not perfect, but I've seen alien dominated games, marine dominated games, games where both sides come back from a near loss and win. It's all about which team plays consistently better than their opponent. That is all. It sounds like you were getting butt hurt from shotties, nerd raged, and uninstalled. Pretty sad that you couldn't take the time to get better. NS2 is really a ton of fun.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    <u><b>DaRkL3AD3R:</b></u>

So. . . . why not play marines if you think they are overpowered?

Also while I'm at it you're probably wrong: <a href="http://ns2stats.org/" target="_blank">NS2Stats.org</a>
    Marines are still favored to lose by a small percent
  • cake.cake. Join Date: 2012-01-12 Member: 140165Members
    What Maximum said. Also, why not try playing on different servers. Many servers use great, very subtle balance mods and have different communities and rules.
    Another thing I would recommend is to look at NS2 as a growing organism that changes and adapts over time. If something is not working - it is rooted out. I mean, hey, do you see any lerks flying around bilebobombing marines into oblivion from the first few minutes of the game? No, you don't.... not anymore :D
  • TroubleshooterTroubleshooter Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171559Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->Please post constructively.
    -Align<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    One thing I can agree with is shotties 1-shotting caraed skulks.

It doesn't matter how good you are, how much you dodge and weave, how much you run on the walls and ceilings and act unpredictable. 1 lucky shot and you're dead and it happens much more often than I believe it should (which is 0 since 1-shots are skilless and have no place in a game like this).

I vote that they lower the damage per pellet, but increase the rof, but that's for a different topic.
  • TroubleshooterTroubleshooter Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171559Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2059377:date=Jan 11 2013, 09:57 PM:name=Samus1111111)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Samus1111111 @ Jan 11 2013, 09:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059377"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One thing I can agree with is shotties 1-shotting caraed skulks.

It doesn't matter how good you are, how much you dodge and weave, how much you run on the walls and ceilings and act unpredictable. 1 lucky shot and you're dead and it happens much more often than I believe it should (which is 0 since 1-shots are skilless and have no place in a game like this).

I vote that they lower the damage per pellet, but increase the rof, but that's for a different topic.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you've out-played the marine and he pulls out a "lucky shot" then you were beaten by luck, not imbalanced weapons... you can't beat luck... luck is the ultimate IMBA.

The power of the weapon can determine the amount of luck needed (I'm sure a BFG9000 would be lucky-gun indeed) but if you're aware of its power in advance, then you need to be more intelligent about the fights you pick. Shotguns are not game enders... and no one is lucky with every shot... Shotties are fun as is. Buffing the ROF would actually make them stronger unless you really hammered their pellet damage IMO.
  • VoodooHexVoodooHex Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153264Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2059377:date=Jan 11 2013, 12:57 PM:name=Samus1111111)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Samus1111111 @ Jan 11 2013, 12:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059377"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One thing I can agree with is shotties 1-shotting caraed skulks.

I vote that they lower the damage per pellet, but increase the rof, but that's for a different topic.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I honestly don't want to see the shotty damage nerfed, it's fine as is. If you're a cara skulk and are able to take a shotgunner down solo, more power to you.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2059126:date=Jan 10 2013, 10:45 PM:name=DaRkL3AD3R)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DaRkL3AD3R @ Jan 10 2013, 10:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059126"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Was playing Aliens and just couldn't take the horrible balance issues. Being able to be one shot by a shotgun as a skulk with carapace from anything but point blank range is inexcusable. Nevermind the general imbalance of Exos vs Onos, jet packing welder vs gorge, etc. The survivability differences are huge. The offense differences are huge. It's kinda sad that I can see -400 on a single marine when playing as a Lerk, and he is still standing. No armory in sight, just a random 1v1 encounter. Ridiculous.

I want to love this game, but the balance issues have a huge impact on my gameplay as I take it way too seriously. When I get killed from hitbox lag and interp, it makes me rage. Yep Alt F4 are my friends most of the time I played this game. So I figured may as well press the final "I mad" button and uninstall.

I've been playing NS1 since around 2004 with a close friend of mine, doing comp stomps against 30 bots as us 2 Marines, and it was great times. I'm going to miss this game, and maybe one day if things get fixed I'll be down to join back up. But until then, peace.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Listen to this man everyone. The opinion of a person that thinks 2 people against 30 bots matters in a game balanced around 6-6 to 8-8.
  • sharnrocksharnrock Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166084Members
    I think shot guns are fine where they are. A lvl 3 shotgun only comes out near end game, so who cares what it does to skulks? Use your pres, evolve.
  • Brad_RBrad_R pandas | brad Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8273Members, Constellation
    Fare thee well, DaRkL3AD3R, we hardly knew ye.
  • AxehiltAxehilt Join Date: 2003-09-12 Member: 20796Members
    <!--coloro:#C0C0C0--><span style="color:#C0C0C0"><!--/coloro-->The one valid criticism OP has (also the point he seems least concerned about) is the damage indicator. It's not a problem with a simple solution, but two possibilities that spring to mind are either:
    1. Damage displays like this<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> -200 <!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#808080--><span style="color:#808080"><!--/coloro-->-50 <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--> <!--coloro:#C0C0C0--><span style="color:#C0C0C0"><!--/coloro-->where 200 is actual health damage and 50 is armor damage.

2. Or damage only shows actual health damage.

And in either case, displaying healing for an enemy unit who's within line of sight might be good too -- or increase the medkit sound effect volume (might be the more elegant solution, it's definitely not easy most times to tell if someone's being medded.)
    <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2059387:date=Jan 11 2013, 03:14 PM:name=Troubleshooter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Troubleshooter @ Jan 11 2013, 03:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059387"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you've out-played the marine and he pulls out a "lucky shot" then you were beaten by luck, not imbalanced weapons... you can't beat luck... luck is the ultimate IMBA.

The power of the weapon can determine the amount of luck needed (I'm sure a BFG9000 would be lucky-gun indeed) but if you're aware of its power in advance, then you need to be more intelligent about the fights you pick. Shotguns are not game enders... and no one is lucky with every shot... Shotties are fun as is. Buffing the ROF would actually make them stronger unless you really hammered their pellet damage IMO.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you halved damage and doubled rof, dps should stay the same. It might actually increase the skill required since bad players will spam it (like they do now), but if they do get lucky and hit the skulks, they will not even have the possibility of a 1 shot. They would actually have to time their shots to make the most impact.

The problem is that in a game such as this, you want to try to reduce the impact of luck. Yes, it's still going to be there no matter what you do, but having weapons that can 1 shot the basic unit of the other side (which is the most played unit) regardless of any upgrades they can get only increases the impact of luck. Plus, there is a gigantic difference between a marine who is good with a SG and one who is good with a rifle. Ever run up against a pro who has a SG? Much harder to take down than when he has a lmg. This is due to their skill, but it only makes it even harder for the skulks.

<!--quoteo(post=2059445:date=Jan 11 2013, 07:05 PM:name=sharnrock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sharnrock @ Jan 11 2013, 07:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059445"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think shot guns are fine where they are. A lvl 3 shotgun only comes out near end game, so who cares what it does to skulks? Use your pres, evolve.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If these numbers are still valid: <a href="https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7sQQuIO-9Tba2x0WWJmRWdLX3M/edit" target="_blank">https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7sQQuIO-9T...WJmRWdLX3M/edit</a>

It only takes 8 of the 10 pellets from a W0 SG to kill a cara skulk...

I'll leave with a question. Why is it alright for 1 side to be able to 1 shot the most played unit of the other side when there is no equivalent for the other side? If there was an alien that could 1 shot marines with A3, there would be absolutely no end to the QQ regardless of how often it happened.