This game is extremely unfriendly for new players. DEVs need to address this ASAP

12345679»

Comments

• SquishyOneSquishyOne Join Date: 2005-01-11 Member: 34963Members
    edited January 2013
    If anyone is willing to do all the technical work to stream/make VODs I would be willing to spend a few hours making VODs on how to alien and marine com as well as just play in general. I don't have class for another week so this would be the time I suppose. If anyone is interested I'd be happy to give them my qualifications in pm's. Qualifications= competitive experience and the such.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    edited January 2013
    Kids in the US now a days have this weird belief that everything they do is great. Probably stems from the fact that like little league and other peewee sports don't really have losers anymore, everyone somehow wins. So people get this complex where they can't believe they can lose, it's pretty interesting and extremely sad at the same time.

This applies because these are the same losers that start playing a game expecting to be the best or even good at it from the start. Then they whine because someone is so far above them in skill that they can't even touch them. I was like that when I first start playing, but I killed Joe as a fade today, that's something I can be proud of.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <!--quoteo(post=2057682:date=Jan 7 2013, 11:15 PM:name=Afterhours)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Afterhours @ Jan 7 2013, 11:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2057682"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Grow a pair, gents. Accept the fact that you are worse than someone else out there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->You still don't get it. This isn't about player skill, it's about how new players are TREATED. Getting rolled has nothing whatsoever to do with skill. It doesn't take skill to roll new players, all it takes is for the person to be an asshat.

The bottom line here is while certain people QQ about new players being treated with a bit of respect, there are people who quit playing this game every day because of how they are treated. While you sit on your "L2P" high horse, here's a little tip for you...

Sooner or later, there won't be anyone left to 'roll'. The game will stagnate, and you won't be able to give away copies. NS1 was free and it died for the same reasons. (high learning curve + abusive players = no players playing the game) So keep rolling the newbies and laughing about it. Keep calling them names and making them feel like crap because they didn't learn a game with no trainer in the first hour. Keep it up, and you'll be out here with a hundred people at most playing on 3 or 4 servers.

You reap what you sow.
  • Omar - The WireOmar - The Wire Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165320Members
    You keep saying it's how people are treating new players, yet you keep implying that has to do with only skilled players. People are asshats, not just those destroying pubs. Rookies can and are equal asshats. Their newness to the game doesn't mean they've developed social skills.
  • VigilantiaVigilantia Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 51Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2057593:date=Jan 7 2013, 02:42 PM:name=Afterhours)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Afterhours @ Jan 7 2013, 02:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2057593"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Rookie Marines have a serious crush on the Exo. I mean, it has its selling point to the game, but new players will argue with you til they're blue in the face that the Exo is the best.

- From a fellow SG/JP preferred Marine.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I understand what you're saying and agree, Exos normally are worse than JPs in the hand of skilled players. However, Exos are FUN in a purely primal perspective. It's that same feeling when you're handed the Big HMG/minigun in other games and get to mow down hundreds of mooks. Not that effective in heavy competitive play, but fun.

<!--quoteo(post=2057757:date=Jan 7 2013, 09:31 PM:name=Savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Savant @ Jan 7 2013, 09:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2057757"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You still don't get it. This isn't about player skill, it's about how new players are TREATED. Getting rolled has nothing whatsoever to do with skill. It doesn't take skill to roll new players, all it takes is for the person to be an asshat.

The bottom line here is while certain people QQ about new players being treated with a bit of respect, there are people who quit playing this game every day because of how they are treated. While you sit on your "L2P" high horse, here's a little tip for you...

Sooner or later, there won't be anyone left to 'roll'. The game will stagnate, and you won't be able to give away copies. NS1 was free and it died for the same reasons. (high learning curve + abusive players = no players playing the game) So keep rolling the newbies and laughing about it. Keep calling them names and making them feel like crap because they didn't learn a game with no trainer in the first hour. Keep it up, and you'll be out here with a hundred people at most playing on 3 or 4 servers.

You reap what you sow.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Going to have to agree here. I'm not a newbie (having played NS1 for several years before dropping it, so when I came back I knew when to Onos chase enemies or kamikazi a gorge even if I died myself), however, the reason I still play the game is because of the server and community. We've got nice people that like chatting in Pubs, helping the commander to organize attacks and teaching the newer players how to play. It's that friendly dynamic that brings people back playing (and the reason my friend plays NS2 now... because I played with him and taught him).

Even besides that, negative attitude begets negative attitude. Unless the person is an actual bad player (gets in the comm chair and puts down 4 armories), you can teach them or at the very least ignore them.
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2057757:date=Jan 8 2013, 05:31 AM:name=Savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Savant @ Jan 8 2013, 05:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2057757"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Waaaaa waaa the end is nigh waaa waa
    Waaa waaa cos those dirty comp players are gay waaa waaa
    Waaaa waaa and they treat noobs bad waaa waa
    Waaa waaa and its only the comp players waa waaa
    Waaa waaaa no one else waaaaa
    Waaa waa they dont contribute to the community at all waa waaa
    Waa waaa despite the beta tourniments drawing in loads of new players waa waaa
    Waaa waaa and the fact that clan communities bring players from other games also waaa waaa<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Go find a bridge to crawl under.

<!--quoteo(post=2057768:date=Jan 8 2013, 05:45 AM:name=Vigilantia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vigilantia @ Jan 8 2013, 05:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2057768"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I understand what you're saying and agree, Exos normally are worse than JPs in the hand of skilled players. However, Exos are FUN in a purely primal perspective. It's that same feeling when you're handed the Big HMG/minigun in other games and get to mow down hundreds of mooks. Not that effective in heavy competitive play, but fun.

Going to have to agree here. I'm not a newbie (having played NS1 for several years before dropping it, so when I came back I knew when to Onos chase enemies or kamikazi a gorge even if I died myself), however, the reason I still play the game is because of the server and community. We've got nice people that like chatting in Pubs, helping the commander to organize attacks and teaching the newer players how to play. It's that friendly dynamic that brings people back playing (and the reason my friend plays NS2 now... because I played with him and taught him).

Even besides that, negative attitude begets negative attitude. Unless the person is an actual bad player (gets in the comm chair and puts down 4 armories), you can teach them or at the very least ignore them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You realize that you say you agree, but are saying the exact opposite as to what that idiot is saying?
    He is suggesting that every server is full of elitist clanners all raging and flamming ever green named person...
    I imagine alot of those people helping teach and organize people are clanners (not all) and some people even have friends in clans...
    I heard that in some of the more daring communities some people even date and get married to clanners...
    Doctors have also proved that despite the difference in genetic code it is possible for half pub/half clanner babies to be conceived... holy ###### batman!
  • VigilantiaVigilantia Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 51Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2057769:date=Jan 7 2013, 09:45 PM:name=PsympleJester)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsympleJester @ Jan 7 2013, 09:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2057769"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You realize that you say you agree, but are saying the exact opposite as to what that idiot is saying?
    He is suggesting that every server is full of elitist clanners all raging and flamming ever green named person...
    I imagine alot of those people helping teach and organize people are clanners (not all) and some people even have friends in clans...
    I heard that in some of the more daring communities some people even date and get married to clanners...
    Doctors have also proved that despite the difference in genetic code it is possible for half pub/half clanner babies to be conceived... holy ###### batman!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I dunno, it seems like Savant and a bunch of other people are playing with VERY different people than I am. I've been on both spectrums (40:5 and 8:40) and I've never experienced what they're describing. No ones called me a hacker. No ones flamed me that I'm "not" pulling my weight and doing something right. I've been told how to improve sternly yet not yelled at. When I finally met a 40:4 person, the server had fun. He was the "pro" and we made it a game to fight and try to kill him as an accomplishment. We lost in the end but it was fun for everyone.

Maybe it's because I'm Canadian and ignore the bad things and only remember the good in matches.

I can see how a 40:4 player could ruin a server's fun, but yelling that they're too skilled and getting in a shouting match with them isn't fun for anyone. It'd be like trying to eat in a restaurant while a couple argue over dinner. No one wins. The flip side goes if I'm the 40:4. I enjoy teaching new players and helping the new commander and the rest of the guys on my team like me more for it.

It all depends on a players attitude the way I see it.
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2057753:date=Jan 7 2013, 09:27 PM:name=Davil)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Davil @ Jan 7 2013, 09:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2057753"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Kids in the US now a days have this weird belief that everything they do is great. Probably stems from the fact that like little league and other peewee sports don't really have losers anymore, everyone somehow wins. So people get this complex where they can't believe they can lose, it's pretty interesting and extremely sad at the same time.

This applies because these are the same losers that start playing a game expecting to be the best or even good at it from the start. Then they whine because someone is so far above them in skill that they can't even touch them. I was like that when I first start playing, but I killed Joe as a fade today, that's something I can be proud of.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Being bad is fine.
    Being good is fine.

Going to servers and stacking the teams with your other really good friends is not fine.
    This is also something to do with the community, not UWE.

They can't make people not be jerks.
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    There is still some small amount of meaningful debate going on here. But overall, this thread is going nowhere.

<!--coloro:#FFA500--><span style="color:#FFA500"><!--/coloro-->LOCKED<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Feel free to start a new thread on the <i>original</i> topic, but keep the ranting and ravings of this thread out of it.
This discussion has been closed.