The Gorge - No longer needed

Comments

• VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    build 233 - remove healspray
  • ChizzlerChizzler Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177532Members
    I quite like the gorge at the moment. If I was to make any changes, it'd be the ability to place 4 hydras (as they're pretty squisy without some support) and 12-15 clogs as filling a doorway with 10 usually still gives marines the ability to jump over. Maybe also give his primary attack an ability that slightly blurs the marines vision, increasing with more hits. It'd increase the early-mid game support a gorge can do in combat without making him physically tougher.

I'm no expert with the gorge, but i've quite enjoyed starting a match as a skulk, rushing with the pack to the enemy base (but stopping in a nearby room) Evolving to gorge and setting up a defence cutting them off from 1 of their closest extractors. Usually you can tie up a marine or 2 for a few minutes before falling back and doing the same thing again in the next room.
  • pendelum5pendelum5 Join Date: 2012-10-29 Member: 164317Members
    Once they fix the <b>hit-reg and alien vision issues regarding spit</b>, I expect a lot more people will enjoy playing gorge. He's a cheap utility class who can speed-build hives and demolish bases quickly. Yeah, hydras and clogs aren't that great late game, but maybe that will be balanced by babblers and gorge tunnels in future patches.
  • AxehiltAxehilt Join Date: 2003-09-12 Member: 20796Members
    Gorges are pretty clearly valuable, in spite of being a little on the weak side right now. A smart gorge will wall off and protect a choke point and utterly stop the push of marines (far better than that player would be able to as a skulk.) And of course they have all the other benefits people have mentioned (destroy mines, heal, turbo-hives, base sieges.)

They need one or two fun toys to play with (depending on how gorge tunnels are implemented, they might be perfect) and some tweaks (spit damage being slightly stronger; and perhaps bilebomb armor damage should occur over a narrower window of time -- bilebomb vs. marine armor isn't remotely useful in a typical combat sequence, but it feels like it should be.)
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=2056394:date=Jan 5 2013, 06:23 AM:name=pendelum5)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pendelum5 @ Jan 5 2013, 06:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2056394"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Once they fix the <b>hit-reg and alien vision issues regarding spit</b>,<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The spit hit-reg issues have been fixed, and it should be noticeably much improved in the next patch.

As far as the usefulness of the Gorge, we feel they are already a very essential part of the alien team, but the big content update that is coming is going to add a plethora of new fun and useful abilities to the Gorge.

--Cory
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    Didn't bother reading all the 2011 posts so maybe someone already made this point, but I think the Gorge is a very important class because it's the only one in the game aside from maybe the Onos and being a commander where a player who isn't very good at fighting can still be very useful. Not everyone can hit Skulks 100% of the time with an LMG or dodge Marine fire as a Lerk or a Fade, but if you can heal spray, bile bomb, clog + hydra, and belly slide away, then you can do 90% of what it takes to be a good Gorge. I don't want to dumb down NS2 and take all the skill out of the game, but I also don't want to give less skilled players NOTHING to do other than get torn up by better players. Gorge is a good role for a player who would get destroyed as any other alien class.
  • Megadave1994Megadave1994 Join Date: 2013-01-05 Member: 177651Members
    Maybe have the gorge fertilize the cysts that cause infection.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2056567:date=Jan 5 2013, 12:26 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Jan 5 2013, 12:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2056567"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The spit hit-reg issues have been fixed, and it should be noticeably much improved in the next patch.

As far as the usefulness of the Gorge, we feel they are already a very essential part of the alien team, but the big content update that is coming is going to add a plethora of new fun and useful abilities to the Gorge.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Can you please tell us what abilities are you talking about, Cory, so we can start whining right away?
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=1882007:date=Oct 25 2011, 03:49 PM:name=Kalabalana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kalabalana @ Oct 25 2011, 03:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1882007"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When gorges work in concert with a commander, it's awesome.
    I've commanded games where gorges let me expand and fortify at incredible rates. I've helped make infestation trails that we fortified with structures and hydras, slowly pushing to marine start, very formidable, and it's alien map control to the extreme. But you need to have one or two gorges at the head of any given push. It's like lava.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This happened in game right now. We were playing a losing game and these two gorges fortified a base right next to operations supported by a commander with crags and whips. They held it for so long against an entire team of marines that were slaughtering most of us with their 20-2 k/d scores. But then they got bile and we had one Onos and they completely wrecked the base. In fact most of my games as marines are usually wrecked by Gorges with bile bombs hitting nodes on bases while the rest of their team causes havoc. Then we had the marines going back and forth between becons while the gorges hit the other node with bile bomb. Those things are lethal that I go out of my way to hunt them down because of the damage their bile can reap. But they are only dangerous when in syngergy with a Kham and coordination with the rest of the team.

Personally after observing how people play gorge I love harassing marine bases with bile in vents and working with other gorges to have a fallback point with hydras and clogs ready. You can relieve so much pressure on your team at the most critical times. And wait what? YOU'RE TELLING ME GORGES GET BABBLERS AND TUNNELS? Preparing myself for FUN overload.
  • MakenshiMakenshi Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164681Members
    I still think the issue with gorge atm isn't that they aren't useful, but most of their gameplay is very boring. A gorge maturing structures early game makes a big difference in res income and teching up early, but there are only so many ways you can mature a structure before you realize you realize you just spent the last 5 minutes staring at hives and extractors. Clogs and hydras are decent for early area denial, but in order for them to slow marines down for more than 15 seconds, again, you have to sit there staring at the clogwall for few minutes. People complaining about bile bomb don't seem to realize that it's about the only gorge ability that doesn't involve staring at a structure or life form of some sort for prolonged periods of time. Hopefully the upcoming babbler and tunnel abilities will change this.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    I kind of doubt anyone holds the "gorges are totally useless" mentality any more. This thread is more than a year old.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=1881982:date=Oct 25 2011, 12:59 PM:name=Hybridclaw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hybridclaw @ Oct 25 2011, 12:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1881982"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Although I doubt that the Gorge will ever be removed, hypothetically with a little tweaking the Gorge can be completely removed from the game and, in terms of balance, it will not be missed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hypothetically any life form or weapon can be completely removed from the game. Why should it be?

<!--quoteo(post=1881982:date=Oct 25 2011, 12:59 PM:name=Hybridclaw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hybridclaw @ Oct 25 2011, 12:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1881982"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Bile-bomb:
    It is an expensive attack that requires research from a whip. It is not research until late in the game due in part to both the expense and the relatively few numbers of Gorges. By the time bile-bomb is researched, Fades are on the field. Fades are always attacking thus giving bile-bomb to the Fade causes bile-bomb to be used in combat more. And way back in the early days of NS1 Fades were the ones with bile-bomb.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wat?

Anyway, I personally have fun playing a gorge sometimes, and a gorge is a great help for any alien team, especially when it's armed with bile bomb.

In some situations, you cannot win without a gorge.

Edit: Derp, I didn't realize this was somehow necroed to life a year later to troll me in. Disregard and let this die.
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2056604:date=Jan 5 2013, 04:19 PM:name=Megadave1994)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Megadave1994 @ Jan 5 2013, 04:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2056604"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe have the gorge fertilize the cysts that cause infection.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, some gorge sex at last !!!! ;-)
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2056643:date=Jan 5 2013, 04:42 PM:name=xen32)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xen32 @ Jan 5 2013, 04:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2056643"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can you please tell us what abilities are you talking about, Cory, so we can start whining right away?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    gorge tunnels (aka alien phase gates)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=2056341:date=Jan 4 2013, 07:37 PM:name=Chizzler)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chizzler @ Jan 4 2013, 07:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2056341"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If I was to make any changes, it'd be the ability to place 4 hydras (as they're pretty squisy without some support) and 12-15 clogs as filling a doorway with 10 usually still gives marines the ability to jump over.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I support this assessment and recommendation only if the price of hydras are increased.
    Else, 3 pres hydras will yield 4 hydras right at the beginning of the game, an obvious op/spam tactic. (2 gorges = 8 hydras in the first minute of the game? nigh impassable for most marines)
    I'd increase their health just by like 10 or 15 percent and increase their cost to 5 each. This allows 3 still right off the bat, with more pres loss, but with the added gain of stronger hydras and more during mid game/late game.
  • Legendary_LeviathanLegendary_Leviathan Join Date: 2004-10-18 Member: 32336Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2057172:date=Jan 6 2013, 10:08 PM:name=soccerguy243)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (soccerguy243 @ Jan 6 2013, 10:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2057172"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->gorge tunnels (aka alien phase gates)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Now the question is it limited to infestation area or can it be built anywhere?

EDIT Off-topic: I haven't been here in ages and seriously need a shorter name but dunno if you guys would allow me to change it.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2056706:date=Jan 6 2013, 03:36 AM:name=Makenshi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Makenshi @ Jan 6 2013, 03:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2056706"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I still think the issue with gorge atm isn't that they aren't useful, but most of their gameplay is very boring. A gorge maturing structures early game makes a big difference in res income and teching up early, but there are only so many ways you can mature a structure before you realize you realize you just spent the last 5 minutes staring at hives and extractors. Clogs and hydras are decent for early area denial, but in order for them to slow marines down for more than 15 seconds, again, you have to sit there staring at the clogwall for few minutes. People complaining about bile bomb don't seem to realize that it's about the only gorge ability that doesn't involve staring at a structure or life form of some sort for prolonged periods of time. Hopefully the upcoming babbler and tunnel abilities will change this.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree with this. It is incredible important to heal up extractors or hives. But it is boring too. Instead of encouraging players to do boring tasks, just remove this tasks. Make it impossible for gorges to speed up building growth. With all the new features that are coming for the gorge (maybe even over-healing?), removing the fast-building ability will only do good for the gorge.

It also will stabilize the tech-times for aliens. And while I can't back this up with facts, I believe it will change the win/loss statistics more to 50/50. (Many alien wins start and end with good gorges.)
  • DamDSxDamDSx Join Date: 2004-08-10 Member: 30506Members
    edited January 2013
    gorges need loving, and its coming, gg.
  • SolaritySolarity Join Date: 2012-11-13 Member: 170515Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Gorge is a great way to learn the game w/o getting owned.

Also bile bomb can really help win a game or be the stopper of a siege attack.

Lastly being one and knowing when and where to attack can show one's skills
  • CiroCiro Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178392Members
    edited January 2013
    Gorges just need credit for their work; in the form of score.

I feel damn good when help get a RT, hive, cyst chain, up faster. It's awesome to support a assault, through healing the wounded, with a shift keeping the energy up. Maneuvering through vents, and dodging passing rines, with just slide and clog is awesome.

Gorges just need more credit for getting the structures up and keeping the teammates up. I wish there was a way to reward a perfect clog wall.
  • gnoarchgnoarch Join Date: 2012-08-29 Member: 156802Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2058323:date=Jan 9 2013, 01:06 PM:name=Ciro)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ciro @ Jan 9 2013, 01:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058323"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Gorges just need more credit for getting the structures up and keeping the teammates up. I wish there was a way to reward a perfect clog wall.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Off Topic:

Most people really dont know how to properly clog a Door. Way too often you see things like this:

<div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain' style='height:200px;white-space:pre;overflow:auto'>| |
    |ooooo|
    | |</div>

This is so bad because marines just need to shoot 2 clogs (marked with x) to completely destroy the wall and therefor negating all clog-cover effects.

<div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain' style='height:200px;white-space:pre;overflow:auto'>| |
    |xooox|
    | |</div>

If you simply do something like this

|ooooo|
    | oo |</div>

Marines need waaay more damage to destroy your wall and you can over the door waay more effective. Also, if you do it right you can make a small gorge/skulk/lerk door in the Spot marked with D

|ooooo|
    |DDoo |</div>

This door helps you get in and out quickly preventing situations where poor gorges get shot because they fail to jump over their wall in pursuit moments. Also you can use this spot to spit at bad marines outside your wall and easily evade to either side.
    In additions marines feel tempted to crouch through instead of killing your wall. During this they are 100% exposed to you spit as well as smartly placed hydras resulting in neat marine trap.

On topic: Gorges really need to get back some of their importance from NS1. I have a PhD in Gorgeology and can assure you that in NS1 the Gorge was a most proud and important asset to any alien team. Everyone can remember majestic gorge Fortresses that withstood even HA marines. Quite many games did not end with the 3rd hive killed but with the Siege of pround and persistant gorges holding out in their Fortress.
    While the gorge could errect forward siege bases as well as last-resort defences in NS1 in NS2 he is merely a simple workhorse, a glorified khaara MAC so to say. I really hope Gorges will regain at least some of their former greatness in the future :/
  • Ender_74Ender_74 Join Date: 2011-01-28 Member: 79329Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2058326:date=Jan 9 2013, 01:15 PM:name=gnoarch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gnoarch @ Jan 9 2013, 01:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058326"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Off Topic:

Most people really dont know how to properly clog a Door. Way too often you see things like this:
    ...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah maybe a topic on gorge build could be cool. But you do realise that you can really say that your builds are "better" than the one you showed first. You are using way more clogs. If you want to block both entrance to Nanogrid you'll need to place 5 clogs per entrance and a |ooooo| build is all that you can do. You'd be surprised how many marines still crouch under just to get killed by hydra + spit.

But yeah if you are blocking only one narrow entrance, making a wall with just enough space for you to pass though is better.
  • gnoarchgnoarch Join Date: 2012-08-29 Member: 156802Members, Reinforced - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=2058335:date=Jan 9 2013, 02:03 PM:name=Ender_74)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ender_74 @ Jan 9 2013, 02:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058335"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah maybe a topic on gorge build could be cool. But you do realise that you can really say that your builds are "better" than the one you showed first. You are using way more clogs. If you want to block both entrance to Nanogrid you'll need to place 5 clogs per entrance and a |ooooo| build is all that you can do. You'd be surprised how many marines still crouch under just to get killed by hydra + spit.

But yeah if you are blocking only one narrow entrance, making a wall with just enough space for you to pass though is better.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

True. For Nano I'd need at least 12 clogs, 14 would be perfect. But other than this example most times you only block off one door or in the case of Nano on bigger servers there normally is another gorge who can "lend" some clogs ;)
  • ns_insiderns_insider Join Date: 2007-09-30 Member: 62484Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    I play/ed gorge a lot in NS 1 from the beginning and he was the masterrace (gorgerush) but now, i just heal and drop 3 hydras, only 3?! why the ###### only 3 ? and the hydras are not very strong.
    In NS2 gorge is not very necessary.

I liked the way of old gorge more, now hes just a lifeform you can play.
  • ns_insiderns_insider Join Date: 2007-09-30 Member: 62484Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2058323:date=Jan 9 2013, 12:06 PM:name=Ciro)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ciro @ Jan 9 2013, 12:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058323"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Gorges just need credit for their work; in the form of score.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

why? this game is about winning and the team, not the Counter-Strike style K/D ratio.
    Its about to play as a team, and win as a team and in the end only the win is necessary.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    i'm fairly sure you're all wrong... it's about the belly-slide. it's all about the belly-slide. need to make a mod, that really features the belly-slide.

such as:

snowboard type game

snowboard type game, with marines trying to kill you before you get to the bottom, preferably with grenade launchers.

gorge racer games
  • CiroCiro Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178392Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2058407:date=Jan 9 2013, 07:48 AM:name=ns_insider)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ns_insider @ Jan 9 2013, 07:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058407"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->why? this game is about winning and the team, not the Counter-Strike style K/D ratio.
    Its about to play as a team, and win as a team and in the end only the win is necessary.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In pub play, score would help quantify a gorges efforts. A gorge could get two hives up faster, support a front line assault, block off an entire tech point area, and still be under a 3:14 k:d base clearing (not assaulting) skulk.

Good NS2 gorges need more credit for their efforts.
  • Ender_74Ender_74 Join Date: 2011-01-28 Member: 79329Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2058446:date=Jan 9 2013, 06:38 PM:name=amoral)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (amoral @ Jan 9 2013, 06:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058446"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i'm fairly sure you're all wrong... it's about the belly-slide. it's all about the belly-slide. need to make a mod, that really features the belly-slide.

such as:

snowboard type game

snowboard type game, with marines trying to kill you before you get to the bottom, preferably with grenade launchers.

gorge racer games<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=125076&hl=" target="_blank">There you go</a>
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=2058405:date=Jan 9 2013, 11:43 AM:name=ns_insider)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ns_insider @ Jan 9 2013, 11:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058405"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I play/ed gorge a lot in NS 1 from the beginning and he was the masterrace (gorgerush) but now, i just heal and drop 3 hydras, only 3?! why...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

because in ns1 you had a shared resource pool. no matter how many players were on your team, the total resource amount was always the same.
    in ns2 we have personal resources, so every player gets his own income independant of team size. which means: while in a 6 player game in ns1 you could build as many hydras as in a 12 player game, this number of hydras would be multiplied in ns2. this mechanic was working differently (along with hydras costing 10 and being stronger, like offense chambers) which has proven to lead to bad gameplay during the ns2 beta.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I do wish Hydras did a little more damage.. other than that Im gobsmacked this threads still going :) x