Gorge Bile Bomb

RiCexEaTeRRiCexEaTeR Join Date: 2010-05-10 Member: 71700Members, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">Unable to celerity away!</div>Anyone notice that once you bile bomb something, you are unable to use celerity until the bile bomb is done doing its DPS.

Or was this intentional :P

Comments

• SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2055025:date=Jan 2 2013, 08:29 PM:name=RiCexEaTeR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RiCexEaTeR @ Jan 2 2013, 08:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055025"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Anyone notice that once you bile bomb something, you are unable to use celerity until the bile bomb is done doing its DPS.

Or was this intentional :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is known.
  • m0rdm0rd Join Date: 2012-11-26 Member: 173223Members
    Hydras attacking a Marine will also pull you out of Camo, btw.

No idea whether or not this is intended, as you're basically spending res to make an upgrade useless.
  • PimpToadPimpToad Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166005Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2055034:date=Jan 2 2013, 08:56 PM:name=m0rd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (m0rd @ Jan 2 2013, 08:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055034"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hydras attacking a Marine will also pull you out of Camo, btw.

No idea whether or not this is intended, as you're basically spending res to make an upgrade useless.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hydras you placed earlier as a Gorge will pull you out of camo too even if you are no longer a Gorge. Pretty damn annoying when camo breaks at the most inopportune moments...
  • AmbAmb Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168647Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    UWE sold you guys a beta for $25, suck it!
  • AzaralAzaral Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172408Members
    Bile will also prevent you from being able to camo or regen as it keeps you 'in combat'.
  • m0rdm0rd Join Date: 2012-11-26 Member: 173223Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2055060:date=Jan 3 2013, 02:08 PM:name=PimpToad)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PimpToad @ Jan 3 2013, 02:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055060"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hydras you placed earlier as a Gorge will pull you out of camo too even if you are no longer a Gorge. Pretty damn annoying when camo breaks at the most inopportune moments...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ah yeah forgot that one. I actually lost a Fade that way. 1 Marine passed through my Hydras from earlier in the game as I was camo'd in front of 3 other Marines in a different part of the map..
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Yes, and this sucks. No stealth gorge.
  • Angry ChildAngry Child Join Date: 2012-12-05 Member: 174256Members
    Bile bomb puts you in combat, and you deal damage while it is corroding a target, celerity camo and regeneration are not active in combat, its pretty simple game mechanics here
  • MakenshiMakenshi Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164681Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2055156:date=Jan 3 2013, 02:38 AM:name=Angry Child)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Angry Child @ Jan 3 2013, 02:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055156"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Bile bomb puts you in combat, and you deal damage while it is corroding a target, celerity camo and regeneration are not active in combat, its pretty simple game mechanics here<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't think anyone's saying it's complex, people are simply saying it sucks
  • Angry ChildAngry Child Join Date: 2012-12-05 Member: 174256Members
    Why does it suck? Bile bomb isn't broken enough for the gorges already? lol
  • MakenshiMakenshi Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164681Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2055159:date=Jan 3 2013, 02:46 AM:name=Angry Child)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Angry Child @ Jan 3 2013, 02:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055159"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why does it suck? Bile bomb isn't broken enough for the gorges already? lol<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Because it nullifies 4 of 6 of your potential upgrades, and in the case of hydras, this carries over to other life forms as well.
  • AxehiltAxehilt Join Date: 2003-09-12 Member: 20796Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2055159:date=Jan 3 2013, 02:46 AM:name=Angry Child)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Angry Child @ Jan 3 2013, 02:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055159"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why does it suck? Bile bomb isn't broken enough for the gorges already? lol<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Is "functioning at its intended role" the same as being broken? Are you suggesting aliens shouldn't be able to deal with marine structures?

1. It seems clear that Hydras shouldn't put the player in combat. (Although I haven't noticed this myself.)
    2. It's up for debate whether Bilebomb's periodic damage should (I lean towards yes, it should keep you in combat.)
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    angry child is angry.

why should a structure you place make the gorge "in combat" and unable to use camo or regen when not being shot or touched?

As for bile bomb... perhaps since it is so strong it is worthy to put a gorge in combat since you actually need to be near the damage you're creating; unlike hydras.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->2. It's up for debate whether Bilebomb's periodic damage should (I lean towards yes, it should keep you in combat.)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    a) You are cloaked
    b) You press fire, you are visible now
    c) it's a long shot, bomb takes time to land
    d) you are cloaked again
    e) bomb hits structure
    f) decloaked again???

I dare you, just try to do a long shot. This is annoying as hell.
    It clearly is a bug and should be fixed.
  • rhombusrhombus Lerk Queen Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106055Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2055552:date=Jan 3 2013, 04:42 PM:name=xen32)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xen32 @ Jan 3 2013, 04:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055552"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->a) You are cloaked
    b) You press fire, you are visible now
    c) it's a long shot, bomb takes time to land
    d) you are cloaked again
    e) bomb hits structure
    f) decloaked again???

I dare you, just try to do a long shot. This is annoying as hell.
    It clearly is a bug and should be fixed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Did you not read the other posts?

Specific abilities like Camouflage, Celerity, and Regen stop working when you are in <b>COMBAT</b>. Doing damage to a structure with a volleyed Bile Bomb from across the room puts you in <b>COMBAT</b>, therefore it turns off anything that requires you to be out of <b>COMBAT</b>. It's not a bug.. it's a bad mechanic, and I'd rather see it just removed.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I thought 'in combat' modifiers were supposed to go away? If not, they should.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2055560:date=Jan 3 2013, 11:06 PM:name=rhombus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rhombus @ Jan 3 2013, 11:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055560"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Did you not read the other posts?

Specific abilities like Camouflage, Celerity, and Regen stop working when you are in <b>COMBAT</b>. Doing damage to a structure with a volleyed Bile Bomb from across the room puts you in <b>COMBAT</b>, therefore it turns off anything that requires you to be out of <b>COMBAT</b>. It's not a bug.. it's a bad mechanic, and I'd rather see it just removed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's totally a bug if it's not intended. And I don't think it was.
  • rhombusrhombus Lerk Queen Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106055Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2055590:date=Jan 3 2013, 05:53 PM:name=Regnareb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Regnareb @ Jan 3 2013, 05:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055590"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's totally a bug if it's not intended. And I don't think it was.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It is intended. Why do you think they changed the values to how long you stay in combat after your last attack.
  • MangoMango Join Date: 2012-10-11 Member: 162061Members
    edited January 2013
    A simple solution is to remove damage over time ticks when a gorge just uses Bile Bomb. Meaning after he hits a bile bomb the ticks (damage over time won't cause his upgrades to be still in combat) But, I am not sure if this is going to be over power for gorges. So, it is a debate. I notice having a hard to time to escape myself when I am gorge since my speed upgrade is still in combat do to the ticks of damage over time. It can be a pain for gorges. Most likely what will happen is they will bypass damage over time ticks when it comes to upgrades, however, they might lower the damage of bile bombs to balance it since it can be over power if a gorge can escape quicker or camouflage sooner. But, I notice a Jet Pack Marine will destroy a gorge right now do to this combat from damage over time a gorge can't escape quick enough.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2055664:date=Jan 4 2013, 12:16 PM:name=rhombus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rhombus @ Jan 4 2013, 12:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055664"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It is intended. Why do you think they changed the values to how long you stay in combat after your last attack.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I believe it was more intended for bites, spikes and other melee attacks.

I always thought the bile effecting cloaking and celerity was an unintended consequence that UWE had not gotten round to changing.

Has anyone tested spores? Its not something I have noticed but figure spores might also trigger the "in combat" issues.
  • buhehebuhehe Join Date: 2012-05-15 Member: 152140Members
    What about Lerk's bite?

Poisonous bite deals damage over time, albeit not displayed in the Lerk's UI.
    Does that trigger an in-combat state too?
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2055664:date=Jan 4 2013, 02:16 AM:name=rhombus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rhombus @ Jan 4 2013, 02:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055664"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It is intended. Why do you think they changed the values to how long you stay in combat after your last attack.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And how can you be so sure? You can't unless you have their word.
    It's not because they changed the value that it was necessarily intended, they can't be aware of all the bugs, or fix them in priority.
    Btw, it is considered as a bug in the bugtracker.

I think it is broken with any damaging abilities, you go out of combat when you do damage, whatever the origin. It would clearly be better for the 'out of combat' timer to work with the 'last ability activated', instead of the 'damage done'.
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2055869:date=Jan 4 2013, 05:49 AM:name=Regnareb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Regnareb @ Jan 4 2013, 05:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055869"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And how can you be so sure? You can't unless you have their word.
    It's not because they changed the value that it was necessarily intended, they can't be aware of all the bugs, or fix them in priority.
    Btw, it is considered as a bug in the bugtracker.

I think it is broken with any damaging abilities, you go out of combat when you do damage, whatever the origin. It would clearly be better for the 'out of combat' timer to work with the 'last ability activated', instead of the 'damage done'.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I used to be lead NAPT. Go get your facts straight. It was brought up many times before you even thought of submitting an application for play testing. It's a bad and frustrating mechanic period, and just because it's in the bugtracker tracker doesn't mean that the devs feel it's a bug. I've had to remove plenty of submissions because they were intended.

Anyway. The only ability that doesn't do damage is umbra. So saying that any attack that does damage that shouldn't affect your combat status is dumb. I only see how the hydras would be an issue especially in different life forms.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited January 2013
    Why would celerity disable when you attack things? That's pretty dumb.

Cloak yes, obviously. Regen maybe, celerity... no?

Even if things should disable when you attack things, it should be when you, the player, the lifeform, do a thing to disrupt it. So when you fire, not when anything you own fires or does damage over time, that's stupid. Why would it affect your lifeform if your lifeform isn't doing anything at the time?
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2055886:date=Jan 4 2013, 06:45 AM:name=rhombus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rhombus @ Jan 4 2013, 06:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055886"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I used to be lead NAPT. Go get your facts straight. It was brought up many times before you even thought of submitting an application for play testing. It's a bad and frustrating mechanic period, and just because it's in the bugtracker tracker doesn't mean that the devs feel it's a bug. I've had to remove plenty of submissions because they were intended.

Anyway. The only ability that doesn't do damage is umbra. So saying that any attack that doesn't do damage that shouldn't affect your combat status is dumb. I only see how the hydras would be an issue especially in different life forms.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It would be nice if we would actually have more feedback on things like this so the community actually knows what's intended and what's not. This is the first time I've ever seen an "official" response (I know you're just a playtester, but it's as official as I've seen so far) to people complaining about the 'bug', so I'm not surprised people still do (most people don't know it's intentional, as we've heard nothing about it, and people assume it's a bug purely because that seems like the most logical thing - why would it even be intentional?!)

Although now we know it's intended, it's somehow even worse. It's a bad design decision IMO. Are there any reasons why bilebomb DOT and hydras are supposed to stop upgrades from taking effect? Or is it a purely arbitrary thing that just was decided "this is how it should be".

I personally would like to hear the reasoning, as would many people here who feel this shouldn't happen. It seems unintuitive and generally quite limiting (e.g. why even bother celerity gorging after bile is researched?).

Does spores work this way? I.e. if you use spores, then go cloak, then some marine walks into the spores, does it uncloak?

<!--quoteo(post=2055560:date=Jan 3 2013, 05:06 PM:name=rhombus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rhombus @ Jan 3 2013, 05:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055560"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's not a bug.. it's a bad mechanic, and I'd rather see it just removed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ah okay. I should have read more of the thread. Looks like you don't even think it should be in the game. Would be nice to hear feedback from the devs on this though.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    LOL at Bile Bombs without Adrenaline.
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2055034:date=Jan 2 2013, 08:56 PM:name=m0rd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (m0rd @ Jan 2 2013, 08:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055034"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hydras attacking a Marine will also pull you out of Camo, btw.

No idea whether or not this is intended, as you're basically spending res to make an upgrade useless.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This should not happen IMHO.
  • piratedavepiratedave Join Date: 2012-03-10 Member: 148561Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2055912:date=Jan 4 2013, 06:05 AM:name=Squishpoke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squishpoke @ Jan 4 2013, 06:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055912"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->LOL at Bile Bombs without Adrenaline.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    LOL at comms who dont research Adrenaline
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2055560:date=Jan 3 2013, 10:06 PM:name=rhombus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rhombus @ Jan 3 2013, 10:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055560"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Did you not read the other posts?

Specific abilities like Camouflage, Celerity, and Regen stop working when you are in <b><!--sizeo:7--><span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->COMBAT<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></b>. Doing damage to a structure with a volleyed Bile Bomb from across the room puts you in <b><!--sizeo:7--><span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->COMBAT<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></b>, therefore it turns off anything that requires you to be out of <b><!--sizeo:7--><span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->COMBAT<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></b>. It's not a bug.. it's a bad mechanic, and I'd rather see it just removed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

*Urge to kill rises*
    <!--quoteo(post=2056107:date=Jan 4 2013, 02:09 PM:name=PsympleJester)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsympleJester @ Jan 4 2013, 02:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2056107"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->*Urge to kill rises*<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Every time I see you post I kill a kitten.