The Lack of First Person Spectating is Scary

KanyinKanyin Join Date: 2012-12-30 Member: 176786Members
edited December 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
Spectating is the number one way to catch cheats. It doesn't take more than 15 seconds to find an aimbot that works in this game. How first person spectating with the name of the player you are watching enabled isn't by default on all servers is beyond me. I don't know if this option doesn't exist or it's just not turned on but it absolutely needs to be. No discussion needed. It just needs to be.

Comments

• 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Its not yet developed, but theyre woking on it.
  • NolSinklerNolSinkler On the Clorf Join Date: 2004-02-15 Member: 26560Members, Constellation
    Yeah. It does. They're working on it.
  • Omar - The WireOmar - The Wire Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165320Members
    You're definitely the first person to think of this <b>and</b> post about it.
  • KazterKazter Join Date: 2003-08-12 Member: 19481Members, Constellation
    Now, now...he's new to the game AND to the forums.

But, seriously "Search" is your best friend.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    are cheaters really that common in ns2? some players do seem to have ungodly aim getting 30 kills 0 deaths against good alien teams is a common site in the score boards
  • ma$$a$$terma$$a$$ter Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165651Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2053449:date=Dec 30 2012, 05:57 PM:name=deathshroud)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (deathshroud @ Dec 30 2012, 05:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053449"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->are cheaters really that common in ns2? some players do seem to have ungodly aim getting 30 kills 0 deaths against good alien teams is a common site in the score boards<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    common no, out there, yeah
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=2053412:date=Dec 30 2012, 09:19 PM:name=Kanyin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kanyin @ Dec 30 2012, 09:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053412"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Spectating is the number one way to catch cheats. It doesn't take more than 15 seconds to find an aimbot that works in this game. How first person spectating with the name of the player you are watching enabled isn't by default on all servers is beyond me. I don't know if this option doesn't exist or it's just not turned on but it absolutely needs to be. No discussion needed. It just needs to be.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have seen the checkins. They are working on it.
  • senatesenate Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75023Members
    I don't think people will bother with aimbots in this game because guns do not have recoil. Wallhacks on the hand could be real bad.
  • GuspazGuspaz Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2862Members, Constellation
    There is already a first-person spectator mod, for what it's worth. Doing first person spectating isn't hard. Doing first person spectating WELL is hard. Yeah, you can just lock the camera to the position/orientation of a player, but that's going to look pretty terrible, super choppy.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    Probably need to get interp right before first person spectating will work decently. If the person you're spectating and you are that much of a difference it will probably look quite strange.
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    edited December 2012
    and it would probably be all smoothed out so you won't be able to catch aimbots. Either way you shouldn't worry about cheaters, it is highly unlikely that you will ever run into them. Since beta there haven't been any proven accounts of hackers or any accusations by experienced players, so it's highly unlikely that they even exist in NS2.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2053412:date=Dec 30 2012, 03:19 PM:name=Kanyin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kanyin @ Dec 30 2012, 03:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053412"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It doesn't take more than 15 seconds to find an aimbot that works in this game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I've spend hours tracking cheats in development for NS2. It DEFINITELY takes more than 15 seconds to find an aimbot that works for this game. From my research so far, a publicly available one does not exist.

I'm not arguing we don't need first person spectating, but you're wildly overblowing the prevalence of cheats in NS2. It's a small game built on an entirely custom engine. There's not a lot of interest in the hacking community for building NS2 hacks. There will come a point where there are more hacks, and more vulnerabilities are known, but cheating isn't currently a widespread thing, and it will likely never be as invasive as it is in the bigger games, or the more poorly written engines.
    <!--quoteo(post=2053449:date=Dec 30 2012, 05:57 PM:name=deathshroud)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (deathshroud @ Dec 30 2012, 05:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053449"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->are cheaters really that common in ns2? some players do seem to have ungodly aim getting 30 kills 0 deaths against good alien teams is a common site in the score boards<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Lets put it this way, it's entirely possible there isn't an aimbot for NS2 either private or public in existence right now. There are no records on any of the major cheating sites of an aimbot in development, let alone one for download. And Google cannot find any reference to an NS2 aimbot either finished or in progress.

I can't tell you that one definitely does not exist, I can only tell you that there hasn't been a confirmed one in existence yet.

Cheat accusations however are very common.
    <!--quoteo(post=2053496:date=Dec 30 2012, 08:45 PM:name=Davil)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Davil @ Dec 30 2012, 08:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053496"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Probably need to get interp right before first person spectating will work decently. If the person you're spectating and you are that much of a difference it will probably look quite strange.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Interp is working right... as I understand it. You have to jump through a few hoops to get the data from the other players properly interped the way they are seeing it though (I think that's the main holdup)
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2053468:date=Dec 31 2012, 01:52 AM:name=senate)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (senate @ Dec 31 2012, 01:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053468"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think people will bother with aimbots in this game because guns do not have recoil. Wallhacks on the hand could be real bad.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What? Surely an aimbot becomes more effective without recoil, as recoil is random and therefore cannot be compensated for.
  • NousWandererNousWanderer Join Date: 2010-05-07 Member: 71646Members
    On the topic of cheating, I'd really love it if I wasn't accused of being a hacker whenever I have a halfway decent game. These accusations are way too prevalent, or are becoming way too prevalent. I'm far from the best player in the game, and I don't play in any tournament settings whatsoever, but I tend to be one of the better players on the team in most pub matches. I've only been playing the game for a little over a week, and I haven't played a competitive FPS with any seriousness since the days of TFC/NS/Q3.

On one server, this fellow - Apox - ran up into a corner as a skulk. I saw him go there, got distracted with other fights, and eventually wound up in the same area again. I checked the location, shotgunned him with a flick, and immediately got called a "fat ######got cheater." A few days later, I bump into this same guy in a different server. At this point, he starts riling people up in an attempt to get me removed from the server, saying I'm a "known cheater" based on nothing more than his earlier encounter with me.

Earlier tonight, three separate people (Bob, ph33rmaich33ts, Jimminy Jillikers) said that I and a guy I was playing with (DamagePerSecond) were "obviously cheating" because of our aim. One of the guys actually suggested that my shotgun did more damage than normal when I took him down while he was fading. It's all getting to be a bit much. I tried explaining to these people that maybe I'm simply better at different aspects of the game than they're used to, but no dice.

If a first-person spectator mode will appease these people, I fully welcome it.
    <!--quoteo(post=2053607:date=Dec 31 2012, 02:46 AM:name=NousWanderer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NousWanderer @ Dec 31 2012, 02:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053607"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On the topic of cheating, I'd really love it if I wasn't accused of being a hacker whenever I have a halfway decent game. These accusations are way too prevalent, or are becoming way too prevalent. I'm far from the best player in the game, and I don't play in any tournament settings whatsoever, but I tend to be one of the better players on the team in most pub matches. I've only been playing the game for a little over a week, and I haven't played a competitive FPS with any seriousness since the days of TFC/NS/Q3.

On one server, this fellow - Apox - ran up into a corner as a skulk. I saw him go there, got distracted with other fights, and eventually wound up in the same area again. I checked the location, shotgunned him with a flick, and immediately got called a "fat ######got cheater." A few days later, I bump into this same guy in a different server. At this point, he starts riling people up in an attempt to get me removed from the server, saying I'm a "known cheater" based on nothing more than his earlier encounter with me.

Earlier tonight, three separate people (Bob, ph33rmaich33ts, Jimminy Jillikers) said that I and a guy I was playing with (DamagePerSecond) were "obviously cheating" because of our aim. One of the guys actually suggested that my shotgun did more damage than normal when I took him down while he was fading. It's all getting to be a bit much. I tried explaining to these people that maybe I'm simply better at different aspects of the game than they're used to, but no dice.

If a first-person spectator mode will appease these people, I fully welcome it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This. If you can't comprehend how ENORMOUSLY frustrating this is, you should really shut up and never post here again.

Hacks are not currently a large scale problem in NS2. Currently hack accusations are an ENORMOUS GIANT WHALE of a problem.

I REALLY want first person spectating. It makes things easier for everyone. In the mean time I'm not going to be hard on the "hackers". That group is almost non-existent. I'm going to be hard on the idiots smearing other people's name with no evidence.
  • Visor1Visor1 Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140300Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2053607:date=Dec 31 2012, 01:46 AM:name=NousWanderer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NousWanderer @ Dec 31 2012, 01:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053607"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If a first-person spectator mode will appease these people, I fully welcome it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

People only see want they want to see. If they are already convinced you're cheating any oddity shown while they're spectating will just be labelled as proof of your exploits. I can't count the number while using a shotgun I was tracking a skulk and fired just after they moved behind a doorway/pipe. If I was being spectated at this point for cheating the first thing there are going to say is AIMBOT. But the truth is I'm to busy tracking the skulk or shooting to score a partial hit. All spectator mode will accomplish in the hands of the average player is a means in which to conduct a witch hunt.
  • Omar - The WireOmar - The Wire Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165320Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2053607:date=Dec 30 2012, 11:46 PM:name=NousWanderer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NousWanderer @ Dec 30 2012, 11:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053607"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Jimminy Jillikers)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

1 round with him convinced me he's a whining pub-allstar.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=2053607:date=Dec 31 2012, 02:46 AM:name=NousWanderer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NousWanderer @ Dec 31 2012, 02:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053607"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On the topic of cheating, I'd really love it if I wasn't accused of being a hacker whenever I have a halfway decent game. These accusations are way too prevalent, or are becoming way too prevalent. I'm far from the best player in the game, and I don't play in any tournament settings whatsoever, but I tend to be one of the better players on the team in most pub matches. I've only been playing the game for a little over a week, and I haven't played a competitive FPS with any seriousness since the days of TFC/NS/Q3.

If a first-person spectator mode will appease these people, I fully welcome it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Don't worry. Soon we're going to have a community ban list! Just wait until one admin thinks you're cheating, posts your steam ID on the community ban list, and 5 other admins ban you as well!
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2053620:date=Dec 31 2012, 05:21 AM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Dec 31 2012, 05:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053620"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Don't worry. Soon we're going to have a community ban list! Just wait until one admin thinks you're cheating, posts your steam ID on the community ban list, and 5 other admins ban you as well!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And then when first person spectate finally comes along, they'll be posting demos of us "hacking" as shown by our somewhat decent tracking skills. And the best part is that other admins will actually see this, and believe it can't be anything but hacking...
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2053468:date=Dec 30 2012, 06:52 PM:name=senate)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (senate @ Dec 30 2012, 06:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053468"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think people will bother with aimbots in this game because guns do not have recoil. Wallhacks on the hand could be real bad.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

eh? what?

thats exactly why you would want to aimbot...

you can jump around and etc and still have perfect accuracy.
    <!--quoteo(post=2053592:date=Dec 31 2012, 02:31 AM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Dec 31 2012, 02:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053592"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Interp is working right... as I understand it. You have to jump through a few hoops to get the data from the other players properly interped the way they are seeing it though (I think that's the main holdup)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

its not set correct imho. it gets annoying getting hit from 50 ft away by a lagging fade OBVIOUSLY hitting my trailing hitbox due to his lag. or a skulk facing completely away and scoring a hit.
  • piratedavepiratedave Join Date: 2012-03-10 Member: 148561Members
    OH BOOHOO !!! I was accused of hacking today whilst pub sromping noobs on a rookie server !!! I am the victim here, we should ban all hacker accusers because its MY RIGHT to PUB STOMP noobs and not have my ego challeneged by hack accusations !
    <!--quoteo(post=2053675:date=Dec 31 2012, 07:56 AM:name=piratedave)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (piratedave @ Dec 31 2012, 07:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053675"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->OH BOOHOO !!! I was accused of hacking today whilst pub sromping noobs on a rookie server !!! I am the victim here, we should ban all hacker accusers because its MY RIGHT to PUB STOMP noobs and not have my ego challeneged by hack accusations !<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

actually as a paying customer its every players "right" to be better than the players they are playing against. if an admin on that server has a problem then kick the player.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2053613:date=Dec 31 2012, 04:02 AM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Dec 31 2012, 04:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053613"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This. If you can't comprehend how ENORMOUSLY frustrating this is, you should really shut up and never post here again.

Hacks are not currently a large scale problem in NS2. Currently hack accusations are an ENORMOUS GIANT WHALE of a problem.

I REALLY want first person spectating. It makes things easier for everyone. In the mean time I'm not going to be hard on the "hackers". That group is almost non-existent. I'm going to be hard on the idiots smearing other people's name with no evidence.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I agree. That's what makes it so ironic. First person spectator mode is more important to stop the rampant hack accusators, which are much more prevalent than actual hackers. :)
  • NousWandererNousWanderer Join Date: 2010-05-07 Member: 71646Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2053675:date=Dec 31 2012, 07:56 AM:name=piratedave)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (piratedave @ Dec 31 2012, 07:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053675"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->OH BOOHOO !!! I was accused of hacking today whilst pub sromping noobs on a rookie server !!! I am the victim here, we should ban all hacker accusers because its MY RIGHT to PUB STOMP noobs and not have my ego challeneged by hack accusations !<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Really? It's far less about ego than it is about obnoxious distractions which potentially have repercussions for my game experience. I've seen many other players be accused of cheating over the last week and a half, and have dealt with that myself. It seems rampant.

If you like a group of people and/or like a server and your only crime is being one of the better players on it, it's a bit toxic for a small army of insipid assclowns to begin a recruitment drive against you in the middle of the game. Who knows? Perhaps you'll get banned by a young administrator who actually thinks he's doing the right thing.

See, human beings are fantastic at pattern recognition, but sometimes this gets us into trouble. We can wind up observing things that aren't there if we're already looking to confirm them. If you're the kind of player who can track well, or who has the right kind of muscle memory for flick shots, this isn't going to do much other than confirm for others that you're "hacking" once they pay attention. In reality, you simply possess a set of skills they don't.

What's amusing is that I usually have a fairly low death count, too. 30/0, 40/2, 50/4 - these aren't uncommon whether I play marines or aliens. Apparently my aimbot makes me better at not getting ambushed, eh? So I must have a wallhack, too! Or, you know, I'm simply observant and rely heavily upon in-game communication, GUI data and scanning the map.

None of the incidents I described earlier took place on a rookie server. None of the people complaining were rookies (i.e., green names). Furthermore, I'd like to think that doing well isn't a crime.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    EU servers if someone is calling someone a cheat people usually scoff him down, even if he's targeting someone with a 40/1 score.

...then the scoffers usually proceed telling the 40/1 guy to f*** off to a server with people on his level, haha.

All's good.
  • Kama_BlueKama_Blue Join Date: 2012-03-13 Member: 148710Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2053412:date=Dec 30 2012, 12:19 PM:name=Kanyin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kanyin @ Dec 30 2012, 12:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053412"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Spectating is the number one way to catch cheats. It doesn't take more than 15 seconds to find an aimbot that works in this game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

False, there's no source for a public aimbot at the moment. There's a few private ones though. It's generally pretty noticeable when someone has one. Usually the way most modern aimbots work is toggling, that is they can turn them on/off with a single hotkey to latch on to enemies and give them near perfect aim. Because of this it's nearly impossible to see an aimbotter with third person view, and even in first person they might just look like really good players. But little tics can give them away because the program is aiming for them, things like tracking targets far too quickly, latching onto skulks in almost pure darkness and sometimes snap-targetting stationary things like alien buildings.

I've caught only one player botting before, there's a guy who runs around with a twitch.tv username, "edak" or something. He was usually streaming so it was pretty easy to tell. Watched him a few times and his crosshair commonly snapped to skulks passing out of vents or around corners for nearly 90%+ Accuracy, even when they were bouncing around. His crosshair also liked to jump to clogs or cysts when he was in a hive and there were aliens attacking him, indicating the script was having a hard time locking onto what he wanted it to. I would say it would be nearly impossible to determine if he was hacking or just a nearly perfect player if you didn't notice him snap targeting to cysts or clogs all the time (in times when he shouldn't be aiming at them) and know what that means. That or his 40/0+ scores.

I have no doubt aimbots exist for NS2, but he's the only guy i've seen use one. People seem to defend him to the death though.
  • eh?eh? Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147997Members
    I can't tell if you think edak is a cheater or not, but either way no offense to edak but ... rofl.

The current best marines in this game aren't even really hitting 25-30% accuracy right now, so 90% makes you sound like you're completely full of ######. Granted that's assuming the skulks aren't actually just burlap sacks full of potatoes in disguise when you make that 90% claim, but even then I would doubt it.
This discussion has been closed.