Obvious punishment for living overseas

DamDSxDamDSx Join Date: 2004-08-10 Member: 30506Members
edited December 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">I guess not living in the states means you cannot play?</div>Im fed up with this, every single server I join (I choose servers with less than 200 ping) I get kicked, no exceptions.

I am getting freaking sick of this, yes, I am ranting, Its not like me having a higher ping than others will affect gameplay.....

what the hell man, I want to freaking play!

stupid server admins, <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->*SNIP* Let's try and keep it a bit more civil, shall we -Kouji San<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Comments

• IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    Heh, that's the least of my worries, what country are you in?

But I agree, there's this strange mentality that a single high ping player will make everyone else lag, this has not been true for at least 10 years, yet people still think that this is how games and ping works.

WHAT THE HECK.
  • DamDSxDamDSx Join Date: 2004-08-10 Member: 30506Members
    Im in Uruguay, I average between 150 to 200 (which is a rather OK ping, wireless networks get those numbers most of the time) to east coast servers, something around 220 for west coast, I mean, the ping isnt even THAT high, yet I am instantly kicked from most servers...
  • Omar - The WireOmar - The Wire Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165320Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2051228:date=Dec 25 2012, 10:55 PM:name=DamDSx)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DamDSx @ Dec 25 2012, 10:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2051228"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Im in Uruguay, I average between 150 to 200 (which is a rather OK ping, wireless networks get those numbers most of the time) to east coast servers, something around 220 for west coast, I mean, the ping isnt even THAT high, yet I am instantly kicked from most servers...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Is it saying kicked when you're booted? I've never seen an issue with anyone's ping resulting in being kicked. It's 2012, 200ms is playable and not disruptive.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited December 2012
    I live in New Zealand, and I can play. There are lots of low-ping servers to play on here. Plenty of other people from overseas can play too. It's not like you have to live in USA.

I have also played on US servers, with 250 ping, and never experienced being kicked. Though this may have been during the beta. However, I've seen plenty of high-ping players on local servers too, after release, that haven't been kicked.

Do you actually get to connect to the game before being booted? Or is it some sort of error message when you try? e.g. "client and server differ" or "invalid server data" or something. I only ask because it is the first I've heard of this phenomenon.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2051243:date=Dec 26 2012, 01:57 AM:name=d0ped0g)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (d0ped0g @ Dec 26 2012, 01:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2051243"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I live in New Zealand, and I can play. There are lots of low-ping servers to play on here. Plenty of other people from overseas can play too. It's not like you have to live in USA.

I have also played on US servers, with 250 ping, and never experienced being kicked. Though this may have been during the beta. However, I've seen plenty of high-ping players on local servers too, after release, that haven't been kicked.

Do you actually get to connect to the game before being booted? Or is it some sort of error message when you try? e.g. "client and server differ" or "invalid server data" or something. I only ask because it is the first I've heard of this phenomenon.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Agreed. However, there are very likely other places in the world where playing NS2 is pretty hard these days as well as Uruguay.
  • TripleZeroTripleZero Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167764Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2051231:date=Dec 26 2012, 07:09 AM:name=Omar - The Wire)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Omar - The Wire @ Dec 26 2012, 07:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2051231"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is it saying kicked when you're booted? I've never seen an issue with anyone's ping resulting in being kicked. It's 2012, 200ms is playable and not disruptive.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i had extremely ######ty internet for many years of my life and i can assure you that 200 ms is not playable in a way which does not make you become a burden to your team (only exception would be if youre commander)
  • creamcream Join Date: 2011-05-14 Member: 98671Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2051246:date=Dec 26 2012, 03:11 PM:name=TripleZero)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TripleZero @ Dec 26 2012, 03:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2051246"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i had extremely ######ty internet for many years of my life and i can assure you that 200 ms is not playable in a way which does not make you become a burden to your team (only exception would be if youre commander)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

clearly you haven't tried comming with 200 ping. your meds have around 1-2 seconds delay before it drops after you click it on someone. then again, most pub comms don't even med, much less med someone while they're fighting skulks, so it's unlikely people will ever notice it being a problem.

and, assuming your 200 ping is not caused by hardware problems, 200 ping doesn't autoMAGICALLY make you a burden to your team. your aiming/skulking/lerking/fading skill still applies. it's just that everything registers slower compared to when you're on, say, 20 ping.

which means a few things:
    - your bullets/spit/bites/swipes/gores will have a slight delay before it registers.
    - if playing on marines, there is a high possibility to be bitten by a skulk from 5 meters away.
    - you may kill people around corners.
    - you may be killed even after you're around corners.

there is no foul play here. it's just that everything you do and more importantly your position is slightly delayed due to your increased latency.

anyway, i regularly play in american servers with 250 ping and never got kicked. i did get banned once or twice, but that was for "hacking" when people didn't believe that you can be good even without low ping.
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    Do any server operators actually implement high ping restrictions? I've never had problems playing in US servers, not that I do it much. It's probably more likely they you've been banned.

Does it actually say "You were kicked"?
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2051245:date=Dec 26 2012, 02:02 AM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Dec 26 2012, 02:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2051245"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Agreed. However, there are very likely other places in the world where playing NS2 is pretty hard these days as well as Uruguay.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah I don't doubt that Uraguay and perhaps many other places that aren't close to a popular ns2 scene will struggle to find servers to play on. I was just pointing out that the thread title is a bit of a hyperbole, in that there certainly are dense enough player bases elsewhere apart from the US. It's not like only Americans can play it. There's a whole world of ns2 players out there.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    I dont live overseas, but in Europe, and I can find servers with consistently < 40 ms latency.
    When I do join servers in US and A, or in Australia, my latency is usually between 200 and 300 ms, and yet I have never been kicked for my ping as you describe.
    Are you sure you are kicked, and there is not some other kind of issue? Could you tell us the exact message you get?
  • DwavenhobbleDwavenhobble Join Date: 2012-12-14 Member: 175044Members
    I'm from Europe too and there's very little issue finding a low ping server. I am lucky to an extent as I can play on US servers with only 135 -150 ping but yeh this game is far from being US only, the only times I've been on the US servers were when all 10 or so of the EU 24 man servers were full
  • NousWandererNousWanderer Join Date: 2010-05-07 Member: 71646Members
    My girlfriend is Dutch/Danish and is currently in Europe while I'm on the eastern coast of the United States. We've played together on numerous occasions, and she's never been discriminated against on account of her ping. Similarly, I've never been booted from a European server.
  • Brad_RBrad_R pandas | brad Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8273Members, Constellation
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2051380:date=Dec 26 2012, 04:25 PM:name=Dwavenhobble)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dwavenhobble @ Dec 26 2012, 04:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2051380"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm from Europe too and there's very little issue finding a low ping server. I am lucky to an extent as I can play on US servers with only 135 -150 ping but yeh this game is far from being US only, the only times I've been on the US servers were when all 10 or so of the EU 24 man servers were full<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well you have to keep in mind that Europe and Asia (Japan mostly) both have the best internal network infrastructure. I mean if I can get the same ping to an USA East Coast server all the way from the Netherlands, while someone connecting from USA Mid west has about the same ping, it becomes quite obvious there is some internal hopping going on in none Europe/Japanese areas. And my guess is some other parts of the world have the same issue. Lots of hops to get to where you want to connect, usually the result of too many internet companies not willing to work together to pay for network upgrades :(

I've played with 160-200ms overseas as well and never get kicked for that. You sure it's not a server mod setting that automatically kicks players for going over a certain ping? Also what kind of ping do you get to the UWE servers, you can be certain those are none-modded and no one will kick your for your ping...
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2051266:date=Dec 26 2012, 04:41 AM:name=endar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (endar @ Dec 26 2012, 04:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2051266"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Do any server operators actually implement high ping restrictions? I've never had problems playing in US servers, not that I do it much. It's probably more likely they you've been banned.

Does it actually say "You were kicked"?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I run a ping limiter from time to time and it does help. When the server is full on my 22 player one I notice that if there are a lot of players with higher pings (200+) the gaming experience goes south... however there has to be about 5-6 players with this high ping. One night we had a single person with a 450+ ping join and it made the server perform like absolute crap. Once we kicked the person gaming experience was fine.

Until the server software is a bit more streamlined people may need to be kicked from time to time. I don't like doing it but sometimes it is necessary.
  • Champlo0Champlo0 Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150617Members
    I stream with 250+ ping average and it never affects my gameplay. Sometimes someone whines HURNRUNRUNRUN LAGGY SKULK NOOB
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2051450:date=Dec 26 2012, 11:19 AM:name=Champlo0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Champlo0 @ Dec 26 2012, 11:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2051450"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I stream with 250+ ping average and it never affects my gameplay. Sometimes someone whines HURNRUNRUNRUN LAGGY SKULK NOOB<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

typically if you're warping it looks fine on your screen, but awful to others. if that's the case, you should really stop ruining the entire other team's gaming experience. if not, ignore this.
    <!--quoteo(post=2051457:date=Dec 26 2012, 12:36 PM:name=turtsmcgurt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (turtsmcgurt @ Dec 26 2012, 12:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2051457"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->typically if you're warping it looks fine on your screen, but awful to others. if that's the case, you should really stop ruining the entire other team's gaming experience. if not, ignore this.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    no one ever says anything about it except people who whine incessantly
  • AFireInAsaAFireInAsa Join Date: 2012-09-20 Member: 160156Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2051458:date=Dec 26 2012, 02:39 PM:name=Champlo0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Champlo0 @ Dec 26 2012, 02:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2051458"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->no one ever says anything about it except people who whine incessantly<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There's probably more people whining about it in their team chat or VOIP that you just don't hear. I know I can't stand playing against laggy skulks and if I had admin a server, I'd kick them.
    <!--quoteo(post=2051465:date=Dec 26 2012, 12:47 PM:name=AFireInAsa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AFireInAsa @ Dec 26 2012, 12:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2051465"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There's probably more people whining about it in their team chat or VOIP that you just don't hear. I know I can't stand playing against laggy skulks and if I had admin a server, I'd kick them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    They're whining because they're bad and can't aim. Netcode is far more complex than just ping. I've seen warping in both high and low pings, had bad servers with good pings, among other things. Ping doesn't implicate a bad connection or gameplay problems
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2051466:date=Dec 26 2012, 07:49 PM:name=Champlo0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Champlo0 @ Dec 26 2012, 07:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2051466"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They're whining because they're bad and can't aim. Netcode is far more complex than just ping. I've seen warping in both high and low pings, had bad servers with good pings, among other things. Ping doesn't implicate a bad connection or gameplay problems<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    warping Skulks can be cause by low FPS on the warpers side, in some cases high ping(packet loss) and if the server is chuggin
  • AFireInAsaAFireInAsa Join Date: 2012-09-20 Member: 160156Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2051466:date=Dec 26 2012, 02:49 PM:name=Champlo0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Champlo0 @ Dec 26 2012, 02:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2051466"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They're whining because they're bad and can't aim. Netcode is far more complex than just ping. I've seen warping in both high and low pings, had bad servers with good pings, among other things. Ping doesn't implicate a bad connection or gameplay problems<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm referring "laggy" to bad connection and warping, not high ping specifically.
  • MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2051266:date=Dec 26 2012, 03:41 AM:name=endar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (endar @ Dec 26 2012, 03:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2051266"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Do any server operators actually implement high ping restrictions? I've never had problems playing in US servers, not that I do it much. It's probably more likely they you've been banned.

Does it actually say "You were kicked"?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'll kick high pingers if I notice they're warping around everywhere, which is quite frequent in this game from what I've seen.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Don't worry, according to Sleeping Dogs, the USA only gets the internet next year.

But seriously, it's not an 'anti outside US thing' ...

1. Im in NZ, small yes, distant yes, but with some decent enough telecom infrastructure. You are in Urugay yeah? We host Urugayn farmers here in NP to study the evil was of Fonterra (also know as Sodom), honestly, you are from a bigger but less invested in telco infrastructure country.

2. My neighbours are british penal colony convicts who's love of internet donkey vs dingo pron led them to invest heavily in IT also. Your neighbours are obviously con artists, because they convinced far to much of the world that everything was going to end a few days ago. As we can currently see, this isn't so. We live in hope though.

You also have Mexico blocking the line and throwing random noise onto the network, might want to wash that out with some DrainO.

TL;DR Brazil spent all of your continents money on a publicity campaign aimed at clawing back some popularity after too many LiveLeak videos threatened the viability of the Olympics by showing us the truth: the internet runns horribly over a framework of AK47s. Copper is a better conductor.
  • m0rdm0rd Join Date: 2012-11-26 Member: 173223Members
    Due to the netcode you actually get an advantage while playing with a higher ping due to the fact that people just cannot hit you, especially as a Skulk. They've done well when you think about it because believe it or not the game actually isn't unplayable at 200-300ms, but I can see why some servers would kick you. It's not because you're lagging the server or anything, it's because you keep teleporting around at higher latency.
    edited December 2012
    It does say Kicked on the message. Hell, im on a 30mb fiber optics connection (believe it or not, 3rd world country with fiber optics, we are good!) I dont warp, 150ms is not a bad ping, yet I get kicked from a lot of servers. I dont know if admins enforce restrictions or not, I dont even know if it is possible, but Im sure being kicked from a lot of servers as soon as I join.

One thing that is annoying and prevents me from commanding is the delay on voice chat, there is a 3 or 4 second delay when I talk, extremely annoying and extremely huge delay, wonder why.

THere is one server in my area, in argentina, but I dont like playing with them, and there are a few in brazil, I cant understand a thing they say, that topped off with the fact that I lived in the states the majority of my life so I feel more at home playing in US servers.

On the warp topic, Ive seen people warp due to FPS drops more than high ping, there was one guy I was playing against that was warping crouched, I asked him and he said every time he was attacked his FPS dropped to 1...

@Onos Factory, Like I mentioned at the beginning of this post, we have Fiber optics in the entire country (connections will be done in a few months, then the entire country will have access to Fiber Optics, free of charge) if that is a low telco invested country, I dont know what to say. Everyone in this country has access to an internet connection, we have 100% penetration of phone and internet, pretty good for a country like this, and soon everyone will have FO.

Also, yes, my cousin got his degree on Agricultural engineering and went to NZ for a year
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2051879:date=Dec 27 2012, 11:31 AM:name=DamDSx)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DamDSx @ Dec 27 2012, 11:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2051879"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It does say Kicked on the message. Hell, im on a 30mb fiber optics connection (believe it or not, 3rd world country with fiber optics, we are good!) I dont warp, 150ms is not a bad ping, yet I get kicked from a lot of servers. I dont know if admins enforce restrictions or not, I dont even know if it is possible, but Im sure being kicked from a lot of servers as soon as I join.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Are you joining servers that are near full (one slot left)? It is quite possible you are getting an automated kick that keeps space open for reserve slots/an admin.
    <!--quoteo(post=2051880:date=Dec 27 2012, 12:33 PM:name=MMZ_Torak)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MMZ_Torak @ Dec 27 2012, 12:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2051880"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are you joining servers that are near full (one slot left)? It is quite possible you are getting an automated kick that keeps space open for reserve slots/an admin.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Some of them if I recall correctly, yes, others were at half full and I would get kicked anyway.
  • 0xDECAFBAD0xDECAFBAD Join Date: 2012-11-13 Member: 170467Members
    Try my server :) I rarely kick for ping but when I do it's for crazy pings (400+) that causes people to teleport around.
  • GuspazGuspaz Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2862Members, Constellation
    edited December 2012
    If you're in Uruguay, are there no servers closer than east cost US? What about Brazil, which is way closer, or is the language barrier a problem?

Are there no servers in Mexico? Or in any of the Spanish-speaking parts of South America?

If all else fails, perhaps you can get together with a few of your friends or fellow Uruguayan NS2 players to lease a nearby dedicated server.