First attempt at sci-fi orchestral

includeinclude aka RpTheHotrodDallas, TX Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12027Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
One of my hobbies is making music and I'm making my first attempt at making an orchestral audio track with the "theme/idea" of the environment being Star Citizen, which is a "modern" version of Wing Commander/Privateer being developed.

It's still being worked on, but here it is so far. I hope you like what I have so far. :)

<a href="https://soundcloud.com/rpthehotrod/sunintro-workinprogress_v1" target="_blank">https://soundcloud.com/rpthehotrod/sunintro...rkinprogress_v1</a>

Comments

• ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    That's not bad, but I kept waiting for a big kick-off from a even bigger orchestra. Nice theme though! :D
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    sounds good.

what are you using? daw, plugins, etc.
  • includeinclude aka RpTheHotrod Dallas, TX Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12027Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2051779:date=Dec 27 2012, 05:38 AM:name=Obraxis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obraxis @ Dec 27 2012, 05:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2051779"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's not bad, but I kept waiting for a big kick-off from a even bigger orchestra. Nice theme though! :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm getting there. It's still a work in progress.

extollo, for DAW I'm using FL Studio. As for VSTs, a few different things but mostly EastWest products from www.soundsonline.com
  • NeonSpyderNeonSpyder &quot;Das est NTLDR?&quot; Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17913Members
    It is good.

Some of the sections sound a little muddled, some of the instruments are being drowned out by other instruments when it seems they are not meant to be. An example is at 29s mark.

It matches the general Elite / brass band space music theme quite well.
  • includeinclude aka RpTheHotrod Dallas, TX Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12027Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2051989:date=Dec 27 2012, 02:25 PM:name=NeonSpyder)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeonSpyder @ Dec 27 2012, 02:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2051989"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It is good.

Some of the sections sound a little muddled, some of the instruments are being drowned out by other instruments when it seems they are not meant to be. An example is at 29s mark.

It matches the general Elite / brass band space music theme quite well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed. I'm doing mastering once the general piece is complete. Groundwork first. Tweaks later.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    For groundwork, that's awesome. I agree though, I kept feeling like this big musical hit was about to come. It's going to be amazing when you add that.
  • AndrewebyyAndrewebyy Join Date: 2013-01-02 Member: 177107Members
    Wow, that sounds great :)
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    Ha! I know it's sci-fi but I had it playing in the background when loading a game of Dota 2 and it sounded epic! Well done!
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    Sounds awesome, and here's some feedback: There seems to be a bassy thrum behind the strings at the start, it might just be the lower register of the strings. It's a bit smeary and makes it sound a tad muddy. I'm not sure if it's possible, but I think it would sound a little cleaner if there was less reverb on the low end of the bassy thrum, to make it a bit more distinct. If it's not a separate instrument, perhaps consider dialing back the reverb/chorus on the whole strings bit, and see if it sounds any cleaner. At the moment I feel that the hum from the low strings gunks up the whole sound.

In terms of composition, I love it. Brilliant sparing use of percussion and brass.

Keep it up!

--Scythe--