Important part of why NS2 is failing...

Comments

• DwavenhobbleDwavenhobble Join Date: 2012-12-14 Member: 175044Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2047042:date=Dec 17 2012, 09:32 AM:name=OnosFactory)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OnosFactory @ Dec 17 2012, 09:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047042"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Dwarvenhobble, that may have been sarcasm. Crossbow vs Onos. *clicks fingers*<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    yes because its so easy for people to read something as sarcasm with no indication of it other than the stupidity of the post [/sarc]

The worrying thing is read that in either a typical frat boy "Brosiph" voice or some whiny entitled gamer voice and it really does put a different slant on it. Without indication of sarcasm I really do try to respond to posts no matter how completely stupid they sound.
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2047036:date=Dec 17 2012, 05:03 AM:name=HeatSurge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HeatSurge @ Dec 17 2012, 05:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047036"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm having lots of enjoyment with it as is; and it sxpect it to be as successful as counter-strike was in 1999, I can tell you right now that it's a bit naive, for a lot of reasons.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thing is NS2 could have surpassed the numbers that it had as a relatively obscure HL mod if the developers stuck to what worked, but after getting the jackpot with NS1 they decided to take the mystery box instead of the 10 million dolar prize, despite many people from the NS1 community telling them otherwise. So in the end Charlie did get his new engine that he always wanted, but it has not payed off for itself yet and is still holding back NS2 from what it could have been, it has yet to be the remarkable engine that every indie dev wants to get their hands on, and that dream is fading fast. Also despite some very few kind folks giving the benifit of the doubt most if not all changes from NS1 have diluted the game and made it a lot worse than it should be, as hardly any of them have so far worked as intended. Walljump instead of bhop being a downgrade and a huge loss of skulk skill ceiling, Alien commander filled with gimmicks and not all that interesting, cysts and power nodes slowing down gameplay just to provide some nice aeshetics. Sure some of these might get fixed after a few months, but the release ship has sailed and so has the initial interest of players. So what did Charlie get out of his mystery box? A successful indie title with many new players becoming regulars after seeing a unique idea the worked. A very fun game to take casually or enjoy the social experience with your friends or get into drama and arguements with teammates. NS2 is not a bad game, but its not perfect and for most people its not as good as NS1 in the state of both games so far.
  • SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
    I don't know, I played a lot this weekend and I saw plenty of Marines wins and most games were decidedly fun.

Player base seems fine, although at 4am CST it can get a bit thin.

Maybe I should play on aussie servers if I could suffer the ping =P
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Australian competitive scene in dire straights unfortunately.
  • SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2047052:date=Dec 17 2012, 04:19 AM:name=Scatter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scatter @ Dec 17 2012, 04:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047052"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Australian competitive scene in dire straights unfortunately.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't know how 'competitive' I'll be with 400 ping, so that would be perfect lol
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2012
    I find that UWE has wasted so much time implementing completely absurd and pointless balance 'improvements'

I just wish Flayra would play the game on a regular basis, with stronger, more knowledgeable players. Or to even spectate a bunch of scrims and ask questions, let us give some feedback. There's been so many times that "improvements" have been introduced where the entire competitive community sighs at the change, knowing full well that it will be horrible and that it does nothing for the issue at hand.

A lot of people are confused as to where the Devs even get their ideas when making these so called balance improvements, or why they would ever think it would possibly work in the first place.

Do you just look at statistics and not ask for input from players? If you do, which players do you ask? The ones who seem to think that shotgun dmg doesn't get an increase when weapons is upgraded?

Either way I do not feel as though the way it is currently being done is working.

Heck, look at the North American competitive scene, most players are tired and frustrated with the game. My team on most days throughout the week looking for a scrim and we're lucky if we get 2 a week, because people simply don't want to play anymore.

One question though, the babblers that failed and that were useless in NS1 that people seem to want to implement into NS2. Will this need to be an upgraded ability and cost resources? If so, why on earth would people care about getting babblers when there are more important upgrades to get, such as Leap, Bile Bomb, and Blink. Want to see a list of barely used upgrades in competitive play? Xeno, Stomp, Umbra, Spores, Vortex, pretty much anyting other than leap, bile bomb, blink and sometimes spores, are never used.
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2047068:date=Dec 17 2012, 09:20 PM:name=Syknik)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Syknik @ Dec 17 2012, 09:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047068"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Heck, look at the North American competitive scene, most players are tired and frustrated with the game. My team on most days throughout the week looking for a scrim and we're lucky if we get 2 a week, because people simply don't want to play anymore.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I've stopped playing pubs and scrims atm due to lack of viable strats and broken/bad gameplay mechanics. Maybe this patch after new years will be decent
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    edited December 2012
    yes, fade was fine when he had his awesome momentum and recently shadowstep was buffed when it was already good and now blink is rarely useful. Why not bring fade back? Who decided that speedy blink fade was strong? He took just as many shots to kill then, lol. Bring back blink bhop fade. It was the only change that created some sort of skill-based movement for once, when walljump already failed. This is why we cannot have nice things.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2046951:date=Dec 16 2012, 11:56 PM:name=Brock9)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brock9 @ Dec 16 2012, 11:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2046951"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've been thinking about the reasons ns2 has been failing and the population dying so rapidly and I think it goes beyond the really poor optimization that greatly limits the playbase, netcode issues, etc.

At the heart of ns2 is a weak dynamic of boring skulk play while the aliens wait to get cool higher lifeforms and over powered but difficult marine play that usually loses on pubs. Skulks stink vs decent marines and it's no fun to play them. So, most of the entertainment on aliens comes from waiting for something cooler. This is a bad dynamic and it's easy to see why alien teams disconnect all the time.

They need to make some way for the aliens to be more enjoyable if they want their game to make it 12 months. What are some fixes?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What if I would tell you skulks don't stink and are great fun to play especially in the early game? Just because you're having trouble with them, or for some other reason don't like playing alien, doesn't mean it is the big reason this game is failing, if it is actually failing.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ive not seen a nice post since the game went live, I certainly miss the beta players.

This isnt NS1, though someone should remake it for source as there seems to be a market for it. :)

The only problem with NS2 is the players, such negativity. This game thrives on team work and a commander to coordinate the teams to victory.

Grab a mic, be nice and enjoy. Hopefully new content soon too (and a balance to Refinary) :P
  • ViajeroViajero Join Date: 2012-09-21 Member: 160238Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2046995:date=Dec 17 2012, 06:19 AM:name=hus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hus @ Dec 17 2012, 06:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2046995"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Doing my best not to read the above in the voice of Borat.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

LOL
  • ViajeroViajero Join Date: 2012-09-21 Member: 160238Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2047077:date=Dec 17 2012, 12:14 PM:name=MuckyMcFly)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MuckyMcFly @ Dec 17 2012, 12:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047077"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ive not seen a nice post since the game went live, I certainly miss the beta players.

This isnt NS1, though someone should remake it for source as there seems to be a market for it. :)

The only problem with NS2 is the players, such negativity. This game thrives on team work and a commander to coordinate the teams to victory.

Grab a mic, be nice and enjoy. Hopefully new content soon too (and a balance to Refinary) :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ive actually enjoyed quite a few games with very chatty marine commanders in pub. I actually like to voice a lot the game plans and what not while I command. And its a lot of fun I agree. It does not prevent my marine team being overrun 2 games out 3 but hey, I see it as a challenge and it is still fun for me.

But the point has been made repeatedly, not only in this thread alone but many others. Anecdotal evidence as all these may be, they all suggest that a better balanced game, at the pub play level at least, will help eliminating many of those complaints, and hopefully to retain player base.

Overall player numbers in any game are first and foremost hold by casual gamers, pub gamers, with very limited availability and hugely varying committment levels to the game. Personally I think devs should be gearing up to attend this casual/pub community primarily if they feel they need to address player base levels dwindling. Asuming race balance is an issue affecting player base (in addition to performance etc) it should be addressed at the casual/pub gamer level. And L2P is not, and will never be, the answer at that level.
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2047077:date=Dec 17 2012, 09:44 PM:name=MuckyMcFly)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MuckyMcFly @ Dec 17 2012, 09:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047077"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ive not seen a nice post since the game went live, I certainly miss the beta players.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm still here and so are many alpha/beta players but when our reports get ignored we start to get annoyed
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2047006:date=Dec 17 2012, 12:56 AM:name=Dwavenhobble)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dwavenhobble @ Dec 17 2012, 12:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047006"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oddly there's a simple explanation for the low population.
    People bought the game and will play it for fun. There is no level progression system that drip feeds players news toys and pats them on the back every time they play.
    This is good as it means people playing NS2 want to play it and won't simply come in to boost. The fact you can search servers and find a near full 48 man and around 10+ full 24 man servers at any time of day suggests its not doing that bad.

Skulk play wise half of it is learning that the levels and maps have plenty of nice hiding spots which let skulks get the drop on Marines. Also if you're having issues with Skulk play then simply play as a support / scout. Use your parasite dart to mark marines ahead of where your team is to let your team know they are coming and as such ambush them. People seemingly under estimate how useful having a skulk act to mark targets is.

NS2 is a very Old school kind of game, the kind that's missing a lot these days and a lot of new gamers just can't take it. The game requires you to want to get better with no incentives other than being able to see how much better you perform in a game which a lot of players don't realise hence they quit while with other games they stick round for just one more upgrade, not realising they're getting better at the game too.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Give this man a cigar!
  • MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2047077:date=Dec 17 2012, 05:14 AM:name=MuckyMcFly)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MuckyMcFly @ Dec 17 2012, 05:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047077"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ive not seen a nice post since the game went live, I certainly miss the beta players.

Grab a mic, be nice and enjoy. Hopefully new content soon too (and a balance to Refinary) :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think the main reason for the differences in attitudes you see now vs back during NS1 is the fact that back then everything multiplayer shooter was still relatively "shiny and new". Most of the negativity back then was people raging about hackers and people who trolled teams, you didn't see nearly as much about game design etc. Tho I could be off on this, because it has been awhile and I just might not have paid any attention to those threads if they were there. But at any rate I think nowadays, people have been doing the multiplayer shooter thing they think they know everything. At least that's the impression I get from alot of people.
  • luminalumina Join Date: 2012-06-15 Member: 153300Members
    edited December 2012
    The only reason this game will never be huge is because of people like the OP. It is the COD generation. They all hate games that you have to play a while before you learn and get good at them. I'm not sure any of them even know what teamwork is.

I have been playing this game more than ever. I don't see the balance problems. I also love the early skulk vs marine battles.
    <!--quoteo(post=2047077:date=Dec 17 2012, 12:14 PM:name=MuckyMcFly)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MuckyMcFly @ Dec 17 2012, 12:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047077"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ive not seen a nice post since the game went live, I certainly miss the beta players.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

BTW, although not very often, you see a few praise threads here and there!

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=125620" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=125620</a>
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2046951:date=Dec 16 2012, 08:56 PM:name=Brock9)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brock9 @ Dec 16 2012, 08:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2046951"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->really poor optimization that greatly limits the playbase, netcode issues, etc.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Pretty much this.
  • TagertsweTagertswe Join Date: 2010-03-04 Member: 70825Members
    Well the optimization ain't that bad right now, not for me anyways, but might need some further increases or compatibility with newer systems.

I'm mostly waiting for some new content, balance tweaks, new map and probably alot others are in the same boat. :)
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2047077:date=Dec 17 2012, 06:14 AM:name=MuckyMcFly)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MuckyMcFly @ Dec 17 2012, 06:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047077"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ive not seen a nice post since the game went live, I certainly miss the beta players.

thats what happens when you purchase a product and youre not happy with said product.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    This thread is based on an incorrect premise: the game isn't failing.

Furthermore, I for one am very happy to see the back of bunnyhop - but this is not a reason for 'the game is failing' (which it isn't), and as such doesn't belong in this thread.

There is a disparity between the teamwork levels required for aliens and marines, but yesterday I was on a server where marines won *most* of the games (something like 3/4). This wasn't entirely due to team stacking, aside from the first couple of games, but after that the teams were pretty even and we had some epic battles. Great fun.
    If you rambo off alone and get killed, please learn from it: this game does NOT REWARD RAMBOS! That is the main reason I think many new players get fed up - they simply don't appreciate just how much teamwork is required. That doesn't mean being in a clan, it means using your mic, listening to your commander and following orders.
    When the whole team does this, I have to say this makes for an absolutely brilliant game. Yes there are a few things which could be improved, but it's also a game where the devs are actively and constantly working on it.
    So: learn to *teamplay* is perhaps a more constructive piece of advice than L2P...

Roo
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    edited December 2012
    <u><b>Brock9:</b></u>

Skulk, which has massive freedom of movement, is definitely not boring to play
    It only gets more interesting as you get upgrades. . . if you really think cloak skulk is unfun to use then you're not playing the game right

Even if what you say is true nothing is forcing you to stay skulk
    You can easily go commander or Gorge right away

A few minutes in you can go Lerk and if you're good at it you can stay that way sometimes till one team gets endgame units

---

3 pages for a thread that's not factual at all?
    I'm almost afraid to dig

-
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    If this game doesnt reward rambos, why can a single alien easily take out a whole base or a single marine take out a crucial upgrade?
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2047164:date=Dec 17 2012, 11:55 AM:name=bERt0r)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bERt0r @ Dec 17 2012, 11:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047164"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If this game doesnt reward rambos, why can a single alien easily take out a whole base or a single marine take out a crucial upgrade?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because Aliens are not Marines.
  • JuomariJuomari Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167141Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2047077:date=Dec 17 2012, 03:14 AM:name=MuckyMcFly)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MuckyMcFly @ Dec 17 2012, 03:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047077"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ive not seen a nice post since the game went live, I certainly miss the beta players.

this happens to everygame forum's i've seen so far, people only talks about negative things in forums, not positive, because there is really no point to go over goodthings, that post has no purpose other than boost gamedesigners ego.

people who are happy about the game is playing it, those who aren't completely happy about it, they come complain it in forums.
  • unkindunkind Join Date: 2012-02-04 Member: 143563Members
    its dying cuz they dont patch it, like that's seriously why, so many people dislike the balance and have performance/hitreg/crashing issues it's ridiculous.
  • SayHiToYourMomSayHiToYourMom Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166155Members
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I think the game is dying because of the community.

I have won more than 75% of my games as commander, and I quit playing because the players in public servers are giant ######s.

I'm not a sensitive guy, but I'm also not going to waste my spare time commanding when people do nothing but ###### the entire time about
    your commanding. Even when you win, it's not fun when you win in spite of people - not because of them.

That is NOT how the game was when it came out, it's only been of late that I quit, and that's because the pub servers are filled with the diehards
    who have unrealistic expectations I think of what a commander can and can't do - and a large part of that is the limitations of the commanders seat.

There are no upgrades for the commander and haven't been since the release (I was not a beta player). There just isn't a lot there for people who
    want to command and don't want to get an hour of ###### for it.
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2047150:date=Dec 17 2012, 11:09 AM:name=MaximumSquid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MaximumSquid @ Dec 17 2012, 11:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047150"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Skulk, which has massive freedom of movement, is definitely not boring to play
    It only gets more interesting as you get upgrades. . . if you really think cloak skulk is unfun to use then you're not playing the game right<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It most definitely is unfun to play since it lacks any real type of movement skill. Once there's a working movement mechanic that isn't complete junk than it'll add a bit of life to the skulk.
  • sloesloe Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18968Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2047240:date=Dec 17 2012, 03:12 PM:name=Syknik)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Syknik @ Dec 17 2012, 03:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047240"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It most definitely is unfun to play since it lacks any real type of movement skill. Once there's a working movement mechanic that isn't complete junk than it'll add a bit of life to the skulk.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

With the "new wall jump" code:

Run straight forward while strafing towards a wall and mash the jump key. The speed increase is about as fast as celerity or bhop and when you get used to it you can alternate surfaces. Watch how quickly you catch up to other skulks who aren't using this technique.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2047077:date=Dec 17 2012, 12:14 PM:name=MuckyMcFly)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MuckyMcFly @ Dec 17 2012, 12:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047077"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The only problem with NS2 is the players, such negativity. This game thrives on team work and a commander to coordinate the teams to victory.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The game used to thrive on working ideas, but leave to charlie to break the working idea by replacing it broken idea. No seriously, they simply refuse, i repeat refuse to adopt the working ideas from ns1, in fact throughout ns2 development they did their best to completely ignore the ground work, and years of ideas from n1. And they still ignore ns1, they try to revive some ideas from the past only with some ns2 twist to them, which end up usually bad somehow...

but yes this game heavily depends on teamwork, not just by playing it but also designing it. They only listen to people who agree with them, or share their vision on the game.

since this game went live I rarely play it anymore, the fun factor has lost its appeal. gameplay needs major rework, and performance has been so bad its no excuse for these low fps.
This discussion has been closed.