Important part of why NS2 is failing...

Brock9Brock9 Join Date: 2012-12-16 Member: 175292Members
edited December 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
I've been thinking about the reasons ns2 has been failing and the population dying so rapidly and I think it goes beyond the really poor optimization that greatly limits the playbase, netcode issues, etc.

At the heart of ns2 is a weak dynamic of boring skulk play while the aliens wait to get cool higher lifeforms and over powered but difficult marine play that usually loses on pubs. Skulks stink vs decent marines and it's no fun to play them. So, most of the entertainment on aliens comes from waiting for something cooler. This is a bad dynamic and it's easy to see why alien teams disconnect all the time.

They need to make some way for the aliens to be more enjoyable if they want their game to make it 12 months. What are some fixes?

Comments

• flyjumflyjum Join Date: 2012-01-07 Member: 139849Members
    Teamwork is vital to both sides
    I dont feel like skulk play is boring at all
    Not sure if you know this but aliens win 66% of the time atm so marines are way underpowered(might be due to skill might be due to map issues)
    I would suggest playing gorge if you feel skulk is boring
    Lerk is a great choice as well and you can evolve into that lifeform almost instantly after the game starts
  • scheherazadescheherazade Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166675Members
    edited December 2012
    There is very little unit variety.
    The cost of alternative units is way high compared to the rate of personal resource acquisition.
    IMO, the pre-onos units need a significant price cut.

It would be nice if you could grab something like a lerk every 3 deaths or so...
    Even if they were nerfed to compensate, that'd be ok with me... at least there'd be more varierty.

-scheherazade
  • Omar - The WireOmar - The Wire Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165320Members
    edited December 2012
    Oh thank god.

In my opinion, the heart of ns2 has a weak dynamic of boring marine play while the team waits to get better weapons and toys and impossible to hit, difficult skulks with overpowered onos, that usually loses on pubs. Marines stink vs decent aliens and it's no fun to play them. So, most of the entertainment on Marines comes from waiting for something cooler. This is a bad dynamic and it's easy to see why Marine teams disconnect all the time.

• Brock9Brock9 Join Date: 2012-12-16 Member: 175292Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2046953:date=Dec 16 2012, 08:07 PM:name=flyjum)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (flyjum @ Dec 16 2012, 08:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2046953"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Teamwork is vital to both sides
    I dont feel like skulk play is boring at all
    Not sure if you know this but aliens win 66% of the time atm so marines are way underpowered(might be due to skill might be due to map issues)
    I would suggest playing gorge if you feel skulk is boring
    Lerk is a great choice as well and you can evolve into that lifeform almost instantly after the game starts<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

gorge isn't fun in ns2. You get to build 3 crappy towers and then you can't do anything for the rest of the game. It's not exciting and fun like ns1.

Marines only lose on pubs because of how bad the performance is and because cloak is ridiculous. If you have a real great comp you slaughter all skulk challengers. It's not even interesting for the skulks. They have no chance.
  • BurdockBurdock Join Date: 2012-08-27 Member: 156553Members
    Welcome to the forums, first of ns2 is by no means dieing, although its player count's are low now this does not equate to dieing.
    Anywho, as far as boosting the playcounts.... well it will all come down to some god patches and new maps.
  • flyjumflyjum Join Date: 2012-01-07 Member: 139849Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2046956:date=Dec 16 2012, 09:08 PM:name=Brock9)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brock9 @ Dec 16 2012, 09:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2046956"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->gorge isn't fun in ns2. You get to build 3 crappy towers and then you can't do anything for the rest of the game. It's not exciting and fun like ns1.

Marines only lose on pubs because of how bad the performance is and because cloak is ridiculous. If you have a real great comp you slaughter all skulk challengers. It's not even interesting for the skulks. They have no chance.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There is a TON more to playing gorge than that
    Build up hives/harvestors to grow faster by spraying them
    Heal other players
    Clog off choke points
    Bile from vents or anywhere else(bile might be OP)
    Slide around like a boss

Good skulks are hard as hell to kill even with 100fps
    Goal of aliens is to waste the marines time until they have the upgrades they need
  • MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2046956:date=Dec 16 2012, 10:08 PM:name=Brock9)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brock9 @ Dec 16 2012, 10:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2046956"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->gorge isn't fun in ns2. You get to build 3 crappy towers and then you can't do anything for the rest of the game. It's not exciting and fun like ns1.

Marines only lose on pubs because of how bad the performance is and because cloak is ridiculous. If you have a real great comp you slaughter all skulk challengers. It's not even interesting for the skulks. They have no chance.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you think that's all there is to do as a gorge you're a terrible gorge.

And really, the game isn't "dying". Even if the population is falling off alot it's because it's a niche game, it's just not going to be for everyone. Hell I'm still having fun and my server has no problems staying populated. As long as that's the case and the dev's keep making improvements, I'm just fine with it.
  • 1977atom1977atom Join Date: 2012-12-16 Member: 175293Members
    I am new player (bought game around 2-3 weeks ago). This game could be very good and enjoyable, but today was my last "play".

Many people would blame me on being too negative and side bias, but I hope my feedback can help improve game for other players.

I read a lot complains on low performance e.t.c. Mast say - this is not my case. Game running smoothly, and no serious problems so far.

The reason of my negative experience with this game is simple - balance. As you may understand, I visiting public games mostly, and for the first few days was sure - this game is "survival" for humans. Only thing I was not sure if you have to stand for XXX time, or score YYY kills. Those thoughts were enforced by the fact, that all games in first few days were lost by marines. So, how was I surprise to read, that marines could win too!!! But in most cases it looks like "lottery win" chance. I haven't count win/loss in games, but think it is around 20/80 to aliens favour of course. Absolutely obvious balance problem.

This is not game that I will spend hours on, just hour or so. I am not planning to join any teams e.t.c. I was looking for fast few rounds game, but if you want to play marines, you need to be in team, most of public games for marines is just total disappointment. Hope you can fix it for future, because other then balance this game is great.

Thanks for reading this.
  • FappuchinoFappuchino Join Date: 2012-10-10 Member: 162008Members
    Ugh, if it's not extreme adjectives it's titles trying to be as sensationalist as possible. The game needs patches, we get it.

Anyway, time to see how this thread inevitably develops and how many people misspell "dying".
  • PoNeHPoNeH Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58801Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    Bottom line: NS1 was really succesful due to its unique and attractive gameplay styles. Don't fix what isn't broken. NS1 mod for NS2 FTW!
  • hushus Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173206Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2046962:date=Dec 17 2012, 03:17 PM:name=1977atom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1977atom @ Dec 17 2012, 03:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2046962"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am new player (bought game around 2-3 weeks ago). This game could be very good and enjoyable, but today was my last "play".

Many people would blame me on being too negative and side bias, but I hope my feedback can help improve game for other players.

I read a lot complains on low performance e.t.c. Mast say - this is not my case. Game running smoothly, and no serious problems so far.

The reason of my negative experience with this game is simple - balance. As you may understand, I visiting public games mostly, and for the first few days was sure - this game is "survival" for humans. Only thing I was not sure if you have to stand for XXX time, or score YYY kills. Those thoughts were enforced by the fact, that all games in first few days were lost by marines. So, how was I surprise to read, that marines could win too!!! But in most cases it looks like "lottery win" chance. I haven't count win/loss in games, but think it is around 20/80 to aliens favour of course. Absolutely obvious balance problem.

This is not game that I will spend hours on, just hour or so. I am not planning to join any teams e.t.c. I was looking for fast few rounds game, but if you want to play marines, you need to be in team, most of public games for marines is just total disappointment. Hope you can fix it for future, because other then balance this game is great.

Thanks for reading this.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Did you jump in the command chair at all?
    A marine team is overly reliant on a good commander who can make the most of the derp that is available.
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2046968:date=Dec 16 2012, 09:28 PM:name=hus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hus @ Dec 16 2012, 09:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2046968"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Did you jump in the command chair at all?
    A marine team is overly reliant on a good commander who can make the most of the derp that is available.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think you totally right. Unfortunately it is probably hard to find good marine commanders in public servers.
  • pendelum5pendelum5 Join Date: 2012-10-29 Member: 164317Members
    UWE is showing real dedication to NS2 with something like 1 patch per week has being released. I'm looking forward to playing this game for a long time. If you feel this game isn't for you, you don't have to play it. You could offer <i>constructive</i> criticism and perhaps <i>suggestions</i> if you are going to make a forum account to complain.
  • includeinclude aka RpTheHotrod Dallas, TX Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12027Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    What made NS a lot of fun for me was effectively removed. Gorge play is very stale. Both teams are no longer very different in gameplay. Locations are locked down which means every match is no longer dynamic. NS1 allowed creativity. NS2 locks you down far too much in what you can do.
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2046972:date=Dec 16 2012, 09:35 PM:name=pendelum5)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pendelum5 @ Dec 16 2012, 09:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2046972"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->UWE is showing real dedication to NS2 with something like 1 patch per week has being released. I'm looking forward to playing this game for a long time. If you feel this game isn't for you, you don't have to play it. You could offer <i>constructive</i> criticism and perhaps <i>suggestions</i> if you are going to make a forum account to complain.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, you do not have to take criticism so personal. That is first. Second, I believe bad response is better then no response. Think - if every person living game, would express his reasons behind that, how much information would it provide to developers! Third, I think my post is more positive for developers, then not. Game is done on good level. Some minor performance issues - but nothing serious for sure (at least for me). And balance game little bit more is not that much of a problem. Isn't it positive? But yes, I mast agree - I could provide more suggestions.

Few replays before it was told, that 66% of all rounds end up in aliens favour. I think percentage of aliens wins on public servers is higher. But anyway - I think developers can see this situation. So, not sure what you mean under <i>constructive</i> criticism.

For suggestions - I can give some ideas, but think they would be "row" and "noobish" for sure. Anyway - Invisibility. If there are no enemies to shoot at, so what's the point to play? This is FPS and you need something to shoot at. Not good feature.

From my experience you need 1.5 marine to kill skulk. If he bights you from invisibility and already at your feet, 1 skulk vs 2 marines might be right estimation. So, it is not "fair play" from my point of view. Increase damage for automatic rifle (not shotgun)?

Lerk (or whatever you call flying beast) is very powerful. It can release poison cloud, bight hard enough and shoot from a distance. I think this unit is ok, but shooting rate might be lower.

Again - those suggestions probably are noobish, but I like this game and wish all best to developers and community. Just saying that from noob point of view, game is not balanced and feels ... not honest for "human" side.
  • hushus Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173206Members
    Doing my best not to read the above in the voice of Borat.
    <!--quoteo(post=2046995:date=Dec 16 2012, 10:19 PM:name=hus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hus @ Dec 16 2012, 10:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2046995"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Doing my best not to read the above in the voice of Borat.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, at least you read it. Thank you. Actually haven't finish watching Borat - remarkably dumb movie. But to each his own.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    edited December 2012
    IDK man I think the devs have more info than us as to what is balanced. Complicated enough for them to figure out the best way to even things up. You could compare a noob marine and a noob skulk and assume a noob marine cannot aim well or know how to look for invisible skulks while a noob skulk can just nom nom nom a marine or use camo for easy kills. Then again it might not even be that and it could be the fact that aliens are far harder to hit for new players once they evolve like a sporing sneaky lerk or a hit and run fade which I have seen decimate entire teams. Could also be marines are relying on commander like you said while aliens can do their own thing and a bad marine commander can screw marines up late game. Sort of when the commander builds no upgraded weapons or jetpacks and aliens have access to all lifeforms at all time. Performance might make some marines perform badly as well. Who knows really might be the map. Either way we'll just have to wait.

I notice I only win as marines when other players have my back. Sometimes I see one skulk kill 3 marines in a row. I mean cmon how do 3 guys let one skulk get them and I see this a lot. But when you have top tier teammates you can win so easily. All about the aim and evasive manuvers.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm getting tired of useless, dumb threads like these.

The game isn't failing. You are. L2P OR GTFO
  • TSADroneTSADrone Join Date: 2012-12-01 Member: 173807Members
    edited December 2012
    It seems like new players are expected to really love punishment if they want to learn this game. As a skulk, constantly being killed around corners is one of the biggest demoralizers for me. As a marine, without a doubt, it's camo. Even in the hands of the worst alien player you will be 2-2.5 bites down before you even have chance to react.

It's hard to say if the game is failing, but these are just two of the many points that actively work against making new players stick around. The playerbase does seem pretty low judging by what I've seen and the huge amounts of empty servers.

L2P OR GTFO isn't going to help anyone.
  • DwavenhobbleDwavenhobble Join Date: 2012-12-14 Member: 175044Members
    edited December 2012
    Oddly there's a simple explanation for the low population.
    People bought the game and will play it for fun. There is no level progression system that drip feeds players news toys and pats them on the back every time they play.
    This is good as it means people playing NS2 want to play it and won't simply come in to boost. The fact you can search servers and find a near full 48 man and around 10+ full 24 man servers at any time of day suggests its not doing that bad.

Skulk play wise half of it is learning that the levels and maps have plenty of nice hiding spots which let skulks get the drop on Marines. Also if you're having issues with Skulk play then simply play as a support / scout. Use your parasite dart to mark marines ahead of where your team is to let your team know they are coming and as such ambush them. People seemingly under estimate how useful having a skulk act to mark targets is.

NS2 is a very Old school kind of game, the kind that's missing a lot these days and a lot of new gamers just can't take it. The game requires you to want to get better with no incentives other than being able to see how much better you perform in a game which a lot of players don't realise hence they quit while with other games they stick round for just one more upgrade, not realising they're getting better at the game too.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2047006:date=Dec 17 2012, 06:56 AM:name=Dwavenhobble)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dwavenhobble @ Dec 17 2012, 06:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047006"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oddly there's a simple explanation for the low population.
    People bought the game and will play it for fun. There is no level progression system that drip feeds players news toys and pats them on the back every time they play.
    This is good as it means people playing NS2 want to play it and won't simply come in to boost. The fact you can search servers and find a near full 48 man and around 10+ full 24 man servers at any time of day suggests its not doing that bad.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What elitist babble! We need more DEPTH to the game! As is, there aren't enough GUNS! Add dual wield LMG's, maybe a tactical crossbow to snipe Onos from a distance or at least some a red dot sight or something. Big FAIL, UWE, big fail!
  • JuomariJuomari Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167141Members
    there is so many posts that this game is dying... i don't understand this ? i haven't seen ANY chance in server activity, there is few people in the morning, more people at evening, it's only natural, and another thing is that this game is not for everyone, some one sees "omfg alien shooter game" and just goes there to rambo and die 24/7 because he's been ganked and thinks this game sucks, then he quits, that is natural also, happens in everygame possible, so ofcourse there is more people in launch and less after 1month.

secondly, marine's aren't op, they are up atm, in public games this is only even more true than in competetive, actually, in competetive play alien and marines are quite even, aliens might be slighty better due the higher win rate.
    But to my point, marine's are underpowered in public games because :

1. marine's need a LOT more teamplay than aliens, ofcourse aliens needs teamplay too but far less than marines, if marines doesn't play as a team, aliens don't NEED teamplay to win, they win by nature, BUT if marine's however has teamplay, aliens also needs teamplay to overcome them ( rushing bases at right times mostly ), i can take solo marine out of the game 95% of the time in 1v1 skulk vs marine, but when it's 2v2 it's more like 50% chance to win, if it's 6v6 aliens most of the time loses the fight.

2. marine's has higher learning curve, there is no recoil in LMG and you have to hit deadcenter with shotgun, this makes so simple thing as shooting very difficult to MASTER, and to be effective marine you need to learn mastering aiming as marine. You also need to work as a team the same time.
  • ktimekillerktimekiller Join Date: 2003-02-25 Member: 13958Members
    Not catering to NS1 hardcores while still failing to meet casual demands a a extreme niche game is why it fails. Large portion of former player base do not enjoy it, new players likewise are not prone to getting into such a niche game.

I've seen countless sequels fall into the same trap of disappointing hardcores, but not appealing to casuals enough.
  • DwavenhobbleDwavenhobble Join Date: 2012-12-14 Member: 175044Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2047016:date=Dec 17 2012, 06:53 AM:name=KwisatzHaderach)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KwisatzHaderach @ Dec 17 2012, 06:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047016"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What elitist babble! We need more DEPTH to the game! As is, there aren't enough GUNS! Add dual wield LMG's, maybe a tactical crossbow to snipe Onos from a distance or at least some a red dot sight or something. Big FAIL, UWE, big fail!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There is depth to it that's the point. Its not elitist babble to say people want to play the game for fun. For some that fun is in getting better. I don't need some shiny Gold plated gun and pink striped ghillie suit suit as an incentive to play.

Honestly this seems like a troll post really as does the game really need gimmicks ?
    the weapons are functional and fill a roll and aren't designed rough making you look cool. Essentially you're the Marines in the film Aliens, you're not Duke Nukem and Master chiefs secret love child.

Considering this is an indie game and the first release of the studio I can see this game being improved a fair bit over time. Also the fact there even is a learning curve will put plenty of people off. Then to say its trying to appeal to casuals when there's no obvious pandering like pink striped ghillie suit unlocks is a bit unfair to the game.
  • NolSinklerNolSinkler On the Clorf Join Date: 2004-02-15 Member: 26560Members, Constellation
    The game ain't failing.
    Game is great and has a long life ahead of it.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited December 2012
    If you want to see a truly failed game, try looking at something like Ravaged.

For a development team of 5-6, a graphical engine written by pretty much 1 person, being extensively moddable as it is, and a "budget/indie" game that cost $25 on release, this is a freakin' priceless gem.

There are quirks and problems, yes. It will get better eventually. Give it a year or two.

I'm having lots of enjoyment with it as is; and it should only get better from here.

If you expect it to be as successful as counter-strike was in 1999, I can tell you right now that it's a bit naive, for a lot of reasons.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Dwarvenhobble, that may have been sarcasm. Crossbow vs Onos. *clicks fingers*
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Guys, you're not seriously suggesting that I was being serious?!
    Ok, here is an appendum: lol, :), \\irony out.

I'm in total agreement with this: the game is fun, the game is far from being dead, the game balance is not a game breaker, skulk is the most fun thing to play in any mp fps, unlocks suck, the engine is impressive, UWE rocks! And many more.

I just didn't feel like contributing in a constructive manner to such a stale topic.
This discussion has been closed.