I play NS1 since 7 years ago but I dont like NS2 personally

fathang2005fathang2005 Join Date: 2007-09-26 Member: 62439Members
<div class="IPBDescription">personal feeling about the game</div>Sorry for my English first, my English are not good enough but I still want to express my feeling about this games

I was happy to see NS2 comes out, but when I tried it, I feel very disappointed.

<b>1. Low FPS Performance Issue</b>

I have 5 core CPU (AMD 960T unlock core ) with 3.6Ghz speed with 16G ram and NVIDIA GTX 460 1G VGA card

but I still not be able to run smoothly @ ALL Low Quality @ Video setting with 1024*768 ( my monitor support max 1920*1080 )
I don't care about the graphics quality, I am running on the lowest quality setting now but still feeling fps laggy, I just want some a smooth performance of the game and nothing else.
Do the NS2 development team expect all NS2 player will purchase high-end display card and play this game ? no way.
I know that my video card is not high-end, but at least my video card is on mid-end, I don't deserve to play this game on low resolution with low FPS.

<b>2. NO CO maps</b>
CO maps are one of the selling point of Natural Selection, I don't know why development team remove this mode in NS2, if there were answers, forgive me I didn't read it before.

3. <b>Maximum players</b>
Personally I love to play NS with maximum player (32), but recently I cant search any 32 ppl server, the maximum players of the servers that I can refresh is 24. Do the development team reduce the maximum player limit of the game? I don't think it is a good idea.

In my option the low fps performance are the biggest issue.

Comments

• DramelDramel Join Date: 2012-11-13 Member: 170450Members
    1.Don't know the answer for this one, seems to run fine on my somewhat crappy laptop.

2. There is already a mod for that, plus lots of maps, check the workshop collection. It just wont be official.

3. In my opinion 12v12 is silly, anything higher is gonna cause even more chaos. I found 8v8 a lot more fun in comparison.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    Low FPS, fair enough, but complaining NS2 does not ship with 32 player Combat mode? I don't think... no, I hope even, that NS2 wasn't made with you in mind.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I run the game at 20-55fps dual core 2.13. Hd radeon 6670 2gb. And 5gb ram. So i dont know how you can have worse fps with a better system.

Combat as said there is a workshop mod.

32 players. I just dont see any enjoymeant in that many players, combat mode maybe yea.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    NS2 was designed to combine combat with classic, having games finish quicker and marines buy their own weapons.

So in theory, combat isn't needed. However there still is a combat mod.

It is possible to have 32 player servers. People just need to host them. I've been on servers of that size without noticeable lag. Problem is most people don't enjoy 32 player games.
  • TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
    Probably because 32 player servers are unbalance, chaotic garbage. This game really starts to drag and and lose it's focus around 10 ppl per team. I played natural selection for 5-6 years solid and I love this iteration. Different but familiar. Very atmospheric and still incredibly team oriented.

The FPS issues I understand. I had those even on a beast machine up until release but since it's been smooth for me. I really hope they can iron it out for slower machines.
  • RobustPenguinRobustPenguin Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155719Members
    Performance is all over the place, has been ever since I started playing 50 patches ago.

Combat mod is around, but given that skulk movement is pathetic and alot of other skill based combat options arent there any more I dont find it fun

Lack of any support for higher players is a shame, set aside that the maps and spawn systems wouldnt work and you still have that the engine wouldnt handle it on the average pc, for an average looking game thats not really good enough
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Classic pretty much plays like combat anyway.
  • SaniKSaniK Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166850Members
    Works fine of max setting on my 2 year old desktop.

Co maps are in the game, look for modded servers. It is not a selling point it was an addition to NS1 which features a hybrid of FPS with RTS which made the game great and unique. Co maps are fun yes but its not the core of the game and too me its a fun mode to help you become better at the normal intended NS game.

Max players has to do with server ability.

I've been playing NS1 for several years and I love NS2!
  • MangoManMangoMan Join Date: 2003-12-28 Member: 24813Members
    Agree with #1.. FPS is still is an issue

Combat servers are out there

32 Player servers would just be a lag fest and FPS will be horrible. At least for now.
  • TremulousPlayerTremulousPlayer Join Date: 2012-11-30 Member: 173777Members
    edited December 2012
    optimization is really really really and really sucks. i guess this game for nasa computers. all reviews and so much player saying this = optimization is really sucks.
    edited December 2012
    i know in this forum so many optimization problem post have. if your machine is a nasa computer, It does not matter. beacouse optimization is so bad. all game site and social sharing sites users/ns2 players saying same thing = "game good but optimization is epic fail" even unique fail :)
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    20 player servers and above are massively biased towards marines. Since there's so many marines, marines don't need to attack, they can just sit at the end of a corridor and beat anything back with superior firepower. Haven't played 20 people servers in quite a while, but that was how it went some time ago, and I doubt much in the core has changed.
  • VitdomVitdom Join Date: 2012-04-30 Member: 151345Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2038857:date=Dec 2 2012, 06:55 PM:name=TremulousPlayer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TremulousPlayer @ Dec 2 2012, 06:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038857"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->optimization is really really really and really sucks. i guess this game for nasa computers. all reviews and so much player saying this = optimization is really sucks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    In fact, according to <a href="http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey" target="_blank">http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey</a>, ~>30% of all Steam PC users can run NS2 without any performance issues because they meet the recommended system requirements for NS2.

And those 30% of all Steam users are hardly using super computers.....
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2038869:date=Dec 2 2012, 11:24 AM:name=Vitdom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vitdom @ Dec 2 2012, 11:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038869"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In fact, according to <a href="http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey" target="_blank">http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey</a>, ~>30% of all Steam PC users can run NS2 without any performance issues because they meet the recommended system requirements for NS2.

And those 30% of all Steam users are hardly using super computers.....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

than now tremulous team and this %30 super computer owners Let them play.

exaggeration damn shadow effect.

and ns2 makers gave importance to just a graphics.

BUT IMPORTANT IS "OPTIMIZATION"...

"I have 5 core CPU (AMD 960T unlock core ) with 3.6Ghz speed with 16G ram and NVIDIA GTX 460 1G VGA card" look at this system. and this system cant runing this game a smootly.

this game really epic fail.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    1. Yes

2. CO split up the NS community a bit, and I think UWE didn't want this to happen again. Also, NS2 maps are not quite as large as NS1, the pace is quicker, and you have more autonomy as a player, which kind of makes NS2 a NS1+CO hybrid anyway.

3. Maps are too small to support 32 players. It would be like playing metro map in BF3 on 64 player servers. Overcrowding a map turns the game into mindless fragging mayhem.
    NOW JUST CAN PLAYÄ°NG THÄ°S GAME Ä°N SMOOTHLY NS2 MAKERS TEAM AND OTHER %30 ELIT (RICH) PLAYERS...
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2038881:date=Dec 2 2012, 01:21 PM:name=TremulousPlayer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TremulousPlayer @ Dec 2 2012, 01:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038881"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NOW JUST CAN PLAYÄ°NG THÄ°S GAME Ä°N SMOOTHLY NS2 MAKERS TEAM AND OTHER %30 ELIT (RICH) PLAYERS...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Someone needs to go sit in the corner until he cools off...
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited December 2012
    I HAVE ALWAYS KNOWN THERE WAS A CONSPIRACY AMONG THE ELIT PLAYERS

<!--quoteo(post=2038869:date=Dec 2 2012, 10:24 AM:name=Vitdom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vitdom @ Dec 2 2012, 10:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038869"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In fact, according to <a href="http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey" target="_blank">http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey</a>, ~>30% of all Steam PC users can run NS2 without any performance issues because they meet the recommended system requirements for NS2.

And those 30% of all Steam users are hardly using super computers.....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    this means nothing at all. there are plenty of computers that exceed the recommended requirements and are still unable to run it at an acceptable framerate. <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=125426" target="_blank">this</a> is just one of many examples.
    OMG MAN. They (NS2 MAKERS) did it for themselves

"I have FPS problem in this particular game. I believe my computer is pretty good and people with worse computers how are they supposed to play this game? Im running 1920x1080 with every on low and I have 27-50fps in combat and around 50-60 when not. These numbers are based on 5min of gameplay and after 20 minutes when whole map is full with stuff I have around 15-30fps in combat and 45fps outside. I get same FPS when playing with everything on maxed settings. Sometimes the FPS is better but most of the time its like this. The game feel choppy and laggy even though if I manage to have over 60FPS without dropping below. As I said how can people with less powerfull components in their computers manage to play this game at a comfartable FPS? Have I missed something? Is there a FPS fix for this game? I've been playing since the beta and thought it was going to be fixed to full release I guess I was wrong.

My computer have the following hardware

i7 2600k 3.4GHz non OC
    MSI GeForce GTX680 2GB non OC
    8GB DDR CORSAIR 1333MHz RAM
    OCZ AGILITY 3 SSD 128GB I run the game from this harddrive
    1TB SAMSUNG for storage
    MSI P67A-GD55 Motherboard"
  • AnsomAnsom Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166364Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2038869:date=Dec 2 2012, 10:24 AM:name=Vitdom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vitdom @ Dec 2 2012, 10:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038869"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In fact, according to <a href="http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey" target="_blank">http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey</a>, ~>30% of all Steam PC users can run NS2 without any performance issues because they meet the recommended system requirements for NS2.

... That doesn't mean the game is optimized.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    I came to this thread expecting nothing but nostalgia riddled complaints about how NS2 is nothing like NS1. Instead I get one reason which is valid, but has nothing to do with liking NS1 and not NS2, and two reasons which most NS1 players would be enraged by.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Indeed. Dirty C words ...
  • kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
    I disagree. I'll post more screenies when I have some at the end of a game with mass amounts of junk onscreen. I don't see any of these slowdowns with a far inferior system than the one posted.
    edited December 2012
    *If you want to give feedback, be constructive* --Comprox
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    edited December 2012
    <u><b>fathang2005:</b></u>

I remember ending my career on NS:1 being able to smoke 4 skulks in a row. . . they'd just fall like dominoes

I'd actually be counting the bullets that hit so I could switch to the next target that much faster

Not even close to that skill in NS:2 with frames bouncing up and down 70

I'm very satisfied with how aliens play right now though. . .
    I'd be very surprised if you blew off the entire game because too much was kept the same for you to hate everything

-
  • TwiStErTwiStEr Join Date: 2008-11-10 Member: 65415Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I really wish people would stop telling other people its stupid to play with more people. If people want to play with lots of players let them. It worked in NS1 --- yeah with a lot of server mods, but thats even easier in NS2 to realize. A lot of people want to play on big servers no matter if u think its stupid ...
  • dissectiondissection Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 170914Members
    With the FPS problem - i guess there is a difference in what people think to be acceptable individually. Some i know tend to treat everything below 50 FPS as unplayable while i am totally fine with 30 FPS.

Maybe the devs should integrate some ultra hardcore reduced perfomance mode. I have seen this with some Quake players who played this game without weapon models and only uniformly coloured textures. I dont like that but i guess there are some people who would use this, because I think mots complains in this regard come from people who dont care that much about looks, but about (player) performance orientation.

I am not a programmer, so i simply guess its hard to make a graphics engine completely on its own. I guess that comes down to experience with this stuff and maybe you`d be better off with using one thats etablized. Crysis for example looks great but it feels much more hardware hungry as well. I guess it comes down to the same reasons: You will notice when its not created by one of the big players in the business. Thats not a criticism on the devs work, i plainly guess its normal. And it may come down to simple design choices such as level design that will force framerate drops.

But what that also means is, there may never come a real solution to this problem because it might be a core problem of the engine and beyond achieving more than just slight improvements. Again i think we are talking here about high grade demands on performance by some ambitious players, not just "playable". A simple solution really might be to integrate this minimalization mode i was talking about.

I am fine with the performance as it is btw.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    1. Most people have the opposite problem. Your graphics card is terrible. Yes, you need a higher end graphics card than that to run modern FPS games without frame loss, even on lowest settings. NS2 is actually easier on the graphics card and harder on the processor than most FPS games already.

2. There is CO mode. You just have to find a server that's running it.

3. The maximum player count has not been reduced. More than 24 players doesn't work very well for NS mode (it never has), There aren't as many Co mode servers right now, and the game is very new, so it will take a little while for server technology to handle the new net code as powerfully as it could handle NS1 (which just used halflife's net code)
  • 2jzo2jzo Join Date: 2012-11-22 Member: 172833Members
    edited December 2012
    I have no performance issues. I play on all low because I'm more competitive and have no taste for eye candy.

Resolution: 1920x1080
    CPU: i7 920 OC'd@ 3.2ghz
    GPU: EVGA GTX 550ti OC'd@ 951/2178
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb
    SSD: Crucial M4 128gb
    Everything disabled except for texture streaming and multicore rendering

I get around 50-85fps. No lag whatsoever. I'm not sure why people are having performance problems O_o
    Some of you guys have a better system than me too.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2039228:date=Dec 3 2012, 09:52 AM:name=2jzo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (2jzo @ Dec 3 2012, 09:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2039228"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have no performance issues. I play on all low because I'm more competitive and have no taste for eye candy.

Resolution: 1920x1080
    CPU: i7 920 OC'd@ 3.2ghz
    GPU: EVGA GTX 550ti OC'd@ 951/2178
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb
    SSD: Crucial M4 128gb
    Everything disabled except for texture streaming and multicore rendering

I get around 50-70fps. No lag whatsoever. I'm not sure why people are having performance problems O_o
    Some of you guys have a better system than me too.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have a similar system to you, and at release I also had no problems, but since one of the latest patches, I've had really, REALLY laggy performance. Just because it runs fine on your system doesn't mean there isn't a problem! It's being worked on as I understand things, and UWE made a lot of improvements to game performance leading up to release, and continue to work hard on this.

IMHO CO_ was one of the very worst things in NS1, but to each their own.

Larger servers: sure, I'm not telling you you're stupid for wanting them. But I, and probably a large number of others, do not want to play on such servers because it tends to make for terrible games (marines egg lock without trying, very little teamwork, lots of rambos...). As such, you'll struggle to find lots of players who WANT to play on large servers, and by definition, you're going to need lots of players who want that to make it worthwhile running such servers. Good luck with that!

Roo