[POLL] What hive/upgrade do you pick first as alien commander?

buhehebuhehe Join Date: 2012-05-15 Member: 152140Members
Just wondering what's the trend among alien commanders.
(I couldn't find any in-forum integrated poll tool, I apologize if it's there and I missed it)

VOTE & Check results @ <a href="http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=50b80625e4b007bdc40b0013" target="_blank">http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=50b80...4b007bdc40b0013</a>

Comments

• Jarl Ballin'Jarl Ballin' Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173203Members
    Anyone who is half decent goes shift.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    Depends on the spawns, the spawnpoint itself, the map, number of players and number of good players.
    Also changing it from time to time so it doesn't get boring.

Shift is only a must on 18+ Servers, but who plays on such Servers where every "normal" Marine team wins.
    Also if you go for fast Hive you don't need cele, because you can get leap.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    This varies so much depending on team, game size, spawn location, and map.
  • AzaralAzaral Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172408Members
    Crag. Carapace vs level 0 weapons is great.
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2037591:date=Nov 29 2012, 04:57 PM:name=Jarl Ballin')--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jarl Ballin' @ Nov 29 2012, 04:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037591"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Anyone who is half decent goes shift.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    uhhh what

shift is like the worst opening

celerity is really useless early-game compared to regeneration / cara or cloaking

edit: I am wrong. :C
  • flyjumflyjum Join Date: 2012-01-07 Member: 139849Members
    fast 2nd hive assuming we have a few players who go gorge to defend/spray
    Get leap up
    After that get crag/shade or maybe shift if we are doing good on res but they have 3rd locked down
  • reasareasa Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 8010Members, Constellation
    Depends. In a small game (8 or less) I find Shade is the best to go first.

More players and I go with Crag first.
  • philoglphilogl Join Date: 2012-10-24 Member: 163529Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    edited November 2012
    I used to go shift first after a fast expand, but after learning that celerity doesn't apply in combat, I'm thinking about going crag first for regen or shade for camo/silence. Shade seems the most deadly in early game; camo for a small server and silence for every situation. If skulks are good, marines can't afford the res to get an obs in every room with a tech point. Then again, I keep thinking back to celerity because of the out-of-combat speed it gives to quickly reach threats all the way across the map. Plus, it's nice for good fades to open up with shadowstep... but that's not early game. :S
  • BurdockBurdock Join Date: 2012-08-27 Member: 156553Members
    edited November 2012
    My Ideology in pubs gos as such:
    If my skulks are doing very well . .(1.5-2kills per life, and good map control). . . . . . . . = fast 2nd hive, get a little greedy (This does not happen much)
    If my skulks are doing well. . . . . .(1.2-1.5kills per life, more then 55% of the map) . . = celerity and get a shift up in a good location . -> . rt's or 2nd hive
    If my skulks are doing ok. . . . . . .(around 1 KD, About half the map give or take) . . . = Cara (and regeneration after lerks get up) . . -> . . 2nd Hive(shift)
    If my skulks suck . . . . . . . . . . . .(Crap KD, 1/3 of the map) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . = Get Camo, and cross my fingers . . . . . . . . . -> ###### if I know?

But that's just pubs :)

Edit: In greater then 12v12 games, you basically have to go 2nd hive or shift first due to the egg spawn. Hopefully this can be changed soon XD
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2037612:date=Nov 29 2012, 08:48 PM:name=Gliss)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gliss @ Nov 29 2012, 08:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037612"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->uhhh what

shift is like the worst opening

celerity is really useless early-game compared to regeneration / cara or cloaking<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You're right, but you need the shift chambers to prevent from being egg locked if the server is bigger than 8 vs 8. Shift chambers alone can prevent a normal rate of death for aliens from quickly becoming out of control and more than half your team staying eternally dead.

Carapasc is my upgrade of choice if I'm not in an over sized server. I feel Shade is just too easy to counter by a decent marine team.
  • slicedbreadmanslicedbreadman Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154885Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2037649:date=Nov 29 2012, 08:20 PM:name=Burdock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Burdock @ Nov 29 2012, 08:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037649"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My Ideology in pubs gos as such:
    If my skulks are doing very well . .(1.5-2kills per life, and good map control). . . . . . . . = fast 2nd hive, get a little greedy
    If my skulks are doing well. . . . . .(1.2-1.5kills per life, more then 55% of the map) . . = celerity and get a shift up in a good location . -> . rt's or 2nd hive
    If my skulks are doing ok. . . . . . .(around 1 KD, About half the map give or take) . . . = Cara (and regeneration after lerks get up)
    If my skulks suck . . . . . . . . . . . .(Crap KD, 1/3 of the map) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . = Get Camo, and cross my fingers

But that's just pubs :)

Edit: In greater then 12v12 games, you basically have to go 2nd hive or shift first due to the egg spawn. Hopefully this can be changed soon XD<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is great, I will give it a try!
  • m0rdm0rd Join Date: 2012-11-26 Member: 173223Members
    You almost have to go Shift in pub games just for the egg spawns alone in anything above a 6v6. The Celerity bonus is just icing.
  • iUsurperiUsurper Join Date: 2012-11-12 Member: 170108Members
    I usually go shift in expectation that someone will go Fade or Lerk.

Seems the new pub meta is to go Camo in first 1 or 2 minutes, I admit I enjoy it when I'm sneaking around as a skulk.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't get why people don't know about the magic that is known as fast 2nd hive as opposed to a crappy shift hive that requires not only a bunch of resources, but also shifts which are easy to kill and spawn eggs for a buttload of money when a 2nd hive spawns them for free and usually resolves all egg locking problems.

Ok, it may not work with an absolutly retarded team vs a somewhat decent team, but then again, if the teams are so bad you are most likely not going to win anyway :P
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Camo autowin.

If you'd like to play fair, shift because your pub ground skulks like to chain die.
  • reasareasa Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 8010Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2037785:date=Nov 30 2012, 05:39 AM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Nov 30 2012, 05:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037785"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Camo autowin.

If you'd like to play fair, shift because your pub ground skulks like to chain die.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Have to agree. Unless your team is awful going shade-camo first should allow aliens to dominate the early game.
  • BoBiNoUBoBiNoU Join Date: 2007-12-27 Member: 63274Members
    Carapace.
    The rest is rubbish.
    Shift is crap now that it requires 5 res to spawn 2 eggs.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Fast second hive - leap is still by far the most viable strat. Shift's been nerfed too hard, crag isn't needed if your team isn't incompetent and cloak is just for trolling.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'm too impatient for cloak, which is a shame because almost every pub alien comm puts a shade hive down these days :( With that said, I like silence for bombing round the map quickly without getting heard, but beyond that it's not incredibly useful... 2nd hive is for me the safer and better option most of the time. Teamwork obviously expected...

Roo
  • SehzadeSehzade Join Date: 2010-12-29 Member: 76024Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2037786:date=Nov 30 2012, 10:48 AM:name=reasa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (reasa @ Nov 30 2012, 10:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037786"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Have to agree. Unless your team is awful going shade-camo first should allow aliens to dominate the early game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    but it is a huge disadvantage mid-game when lerks and fades come out or even later oni and you didnt manage to get a 3rd hive.

shade = win early or have a baaad time

I usuallly go shift first. but I am still experimenting
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    Depends.

On veil cargo or sub-sector start, I go shift hive, get celerity and drop a shift in nano for egg spamming.

If I start in pipeline, then I just go for a fast second hive drop, because that is a terrible spawn. Marines can kill eggs easy, and its too expensive to cyst out of it.

On other maps with easy possibility to get 3 hives (so not veil), then shade for camo is excellent opening hive. I pretty much only get crag for second.
  • Mr.GreedyMr.Greedy Join Date: 2012-07-21 Member: 154270Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2037825:date=Nov 30 2012, 05:39 AM:name=TimMc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimMc @ Nov 30 2012, 05:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037825"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Depends.

On veil cargo or sub-sector start, I go shift hive, get celerity and drop a shift in nano for egg spamming.

If I start in pipeline, then I just go for a fast second hive drop, because that is a terrible spawn. Marines can kill eggs easy, and its too expensive to cyst out of it.

On other maps with easy possibility to get 3 hives (so not veil), then shade for camo is excellent opening hive. I pretty much only get crag for second.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I am doing exactly the same. I get also two drifters around nano. But those 5-res eggs are realy painfull in early game now.

Shade + shift is the worst combination.
  • y2jrock60y2jrock60 Join Date: 2012-11-30 Member: 173739Members
    Recently I've been selecting Shade with the intention of rushing Camo. I usually do this within the first 2-3 mins of the rounds start. It really irritates the Marine commander. In general, I don't think it really matters which Hive you choose to start out with, as long as you have competent players on your team. If you choose Crag you obviously need to select Carapace first, and Celerity if you choose Shift.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I always go shift unless the players are pretty bad. Good skulks will use celerity to their advantage in superior ways than a simple 20 armor boost or cloak, anyone can make cloak or armor work but good players get more benefit from the speed boost imo. Going cloak also puts you in a ###### position for the mid game if you are in competition over a third hive location. The lack of regen and carapace or celerity and adren is devastating vs a solid marine team.

On 24 player servers, shift is neccesary imo thanks to egg locks. Even if shift egg spawns are expensive, it keeps your aggression and defense up and gets people back into the game quickly until you can get those upgrades or that second hive up and solidify your position.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    Celerity is the best on just about every map, especially for me since I can jump around without getting hit most of the time if I have celerity. Regen is a decent option if you have some pretty good skulks since they can pretty much lock down an area without having to run back to the hive to heal. Silence is a very distant 3rd since while it is by far the best shade tech imo it is still not nearly as useful as regen or celerity or even carapace.

I say silence is way better than camo because with silence you don't need cloak. Just about every player relies primarily on sound to find and shoot their target. So since silence stops you from being heard ever and allows you to move at full speed you can get places faster and just as stealthily as camo. And to top it off you don't lose it when you jump, bite, get hit, scanned, or anything else. Most of the time players won't even realize they're getting hit (especially exos) if you're biting them with silence.
  • statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    What a bunch of dumb comments. Camo is by far and away the best upgrade in pubs. Turns crappy skulks into decent skulks and good skulks into amazing skulks. Good players can get by with upper life forms without the shift upgrades so its not a disaster in the late game either.

Shift used to be good because you could hold forward positions with egg spawns, and you still can, its just not as good as it used to be because of the increased cost.

Regen first is good if you have some really good lerk players on your team, otherwise crag hive is a terrible start as well.
  • RobustPenguinRobustPenguin Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155719Members
    Depending on the map, if close RT is very close and easily defendable:

Cyst to and drop harvester, dump close hive. Geto ut gorge up and run over to theh ive (ideally the one in the direction of the close RT). Heal hive to full hp (around 2 mins 30 or so i believe?)

Research leap
    Build Rt in new hive
    Morph shift hive and get cele
    Morph crag hive and get regen

Play by ear from here on in. 3 RTs is enough for pubbie aliens, what ever you do DO NOT EVER CYST ALL OVER THE MAP. Its a total waste of res
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2037921:date=Nov 30 2012, 09:42 AM:name=statikg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (statikg @ Nov 30 2012, 09:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037921"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What a bunch of dumb comments. Camo is by far and away the best upgrade in pubs. Turns crappy skulks into decent skulks and good skulks into amazing skulks. Good players can get by with upper life forms without the shift upgrades so its not a disaster in the late game either.

Shift used to be good because you could hold forward positions with egg spawns, and you still can, its just not as good as it used to be because of the increased cost.

Regen first is good if you have some really good lerk players on your team, otherwise crag hive is a terrible start as well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    /facepalm
  • BurdockBurdock Join Date: 2012-08-27 Member: 156553Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2038132:date=Nov 30 2012, 04:53 PM:name=Davil)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Davil @ Nov 30 2012, 04:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038132"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->/facepalm<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If only people would "SHOOT THE HIVE", camo first would not be so dumb.....
    *Facepalm*