Stomp is kind of broken

SafewoodSafewood Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166381Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Hits through walls</div>Stomp likes to cut corners. Stomp doesn't like walls, so Stomp goes through walls. Stomp is pleased.

Well, it doesn't go through any wall, but stand 2-3 metres away from a corner and you will still get hit.

Comments

• VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    I told them about this months ago.
  • SaniKSaniK Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166850Members
    I feel the whole stomp is messed up, being knocked to the ground and killed a second later is too strong imo. Rather I think it should knock your gun away for a short duration and either a) pull a non-heavy armor rine closer towards the onos "mouth" or b) knock them back wards a few yards.
  • yehawmcgrawyehawmcgraw Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159694Members
    Yeah that, and can we get some kind of overlay on the ground or particle effects that shows the cone? I have no idea the bounds of this thing!
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    It also bugs out sometimes and has you way longer on the ground than intended. I remember getting hit about 3 meters away from the Onos and wasn't even in front of it and it kept me to the ground for more than 5 seconds while other marines next to me could stand up way sooner.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    That's not the only issue!

Sometimes it does not work at all, when it should.
    Sometimes it even hits jetpacks MIDAIR.

Not to mention stomp probably wins the "lamest abilitiy in ns2" adward. They should just get rid of it and replace it with some less annoying then the stun.
  • SiminiSimini Join Date: 2012-09-28 Member: 160916Members
    Stomp goes through walls, i see no issue, it is the ground shaking after all.
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2034003:date=Nov 25 2012, 04:41 AM:name=Safewood)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Safewood @ Nov 25 2012, 04:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2034003"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Stomp likes to cut corners. Stomp doesn't like walls, so Stomp goes through walls. Stomp is pleased.

Well, it doesn't go through any wall, but stand 2-3 metres away from a corner and you will still get hit.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why shouldn't stomp go round corners?
    Its the same floor...
    Seismic waves travel through the floor regardless of any walls/obstructions.

Although I suppose the game doesn't have to be realistic... but this is more of a design choice than a bug...
  • TimariusTimarius Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171220Members
    Does this mean we can have Devour back? OM NOM NOM NOM!

Seriously, though. Cut down the digestion time to say... 10 seconds? Make it so the Onos can't charge on a full stomach, and enjoy!

Now we're back to screaming at our teammates, "OH GOD, HE AT ME! CHASE HIM! CHASE HIIIM!"

Or, I suppose, we could just make stomp throw their gun, so they have to run away, or try to pick it up.

The problem is, stomp has a trail showing you where it's going... it's just usually wrong.
  • SafewoodSafewood Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166381Members
    <b>@ SaniK:</b>
    Perhaps you're only stumbling, but never falling to the ground, and your aim precision is reduced significantly. In short, it slows your movement and increases recoil and spread pattern.

<b>@ yehawmcgraw:</b>
    I'm certain there is, like some small dust storm rolling in on the floor. However, in certain angles, I believe, it doesn't appear visible at all.

<b>@ CrushaK & Omega_K2:</b>
    I've always thought it to be either poor server performance or the player(s) are lagging, or maybe you're right and it is the game itself.

<b>@ Simini & PsympleJester:</b>
    I knew someone would bring up some ridiculous reason as "realism." Gameplay > realism. Always.

Walls are a clear cut to see whether you're safe or not. If this actually is a game design, to prevent marines from just running around a corner etc. to dodge the stomp, then so be it. It's clearly overpowered as is already, with or without this. I believe this design or bug is completely anti-fun.

<b>@ Timarius:</b>
    Devour is even more so anti-fun than Stomp. I just think Stomp needs to be fixed, nerfed or whatever it is, just changed the way it works right now.
    <!--quoteo(post=2034294:date=Nov 25 2012, 08:33 AM:name=Safewood)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Safewood @ Nov 25 2012, 08:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2034294"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>@ Timarius:</b>
    Devour is even more so anti-fun than Stomp. I just think Stomp needs to be fixed, nerfed or whatever it is, just changed the way it works right now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And this is where we will disagree, but I completely understand how many players dislike devour. Not everybody will see it the way I (and many players I played NS1 with) see it.

I'm an Onos and just devoured somebody? MUAHAHAHAHA! Run away and let him die! Ample opportunities to shout, "catch me if you can", and "get in mah belly"!

An Onos just devoured me? Become the damsel in distress! "Oh no! I have been eaten! Save me, save me! What are you doing? Chase him down! CHASE HIM! SAVE ME! NOOOOOOOO, I am teh dead."
  • yehawmcgrawyehawmcgraw Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159694Members
    I agree, the novelty of devour was something completely badass and unique to NS. And any anit-fun the recipient was feeling was made up for by the sheer glee that the onos had in EATING A PLAYER ALIVE. All a matter of opinion though I guess.

But we digress. Devour is certainly a thing of the past.
    I've got it! Limit stomp to one target max! Make it so you can never stomp an entire team if they clutter up!

We've already seen a bunch of other nerfs to the Onos, so why not?