Is there a balanced reason why we have to be looking at the armory to get healed/rearmed?

BabaganoushBabaganoush Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172398Members
Seriously, is there? While all aliens have to do is be at the vicinity of a crag, shift, hive, marines have to LOOK at the armory to get healed at rearmed.

Pretty much makes base defense difficult.

Oh and from a 8k peak dropped down already to a 1.8k peak on Steam. Not looking too great for new players.

Comments

• TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    Well crags used to be useless, extremely low healing. Not so sure its an issue anymore.

Marines get healed and armoured in a second, while aliens had to sit around a a crag for a few minutes as a larger lifeform.

Personally though I think the healing power of both is too much.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    If they wouldn't have to look at it, they could just keep standing in it and spam aliens on defence with infinite ammo and near infinite health and armor.

And you should realize that such a decrease in player numbers is perfectly normal for all games. People all check the game out at once after buying the game, some move on, many come back every now and then but of course not at the same time.

Example curves:
    <a href="http://steamgraph.net/index.php?action=graph&jstime=1&appid=4920q104700q17080q209870q204300&from=1333231200000&to=End+Time" target="_blank">http://steamgraph.net/index.php?action=gra...amp;to=End+Time</a>
  • DestroidDestroid Join Date: 2011-10-25 Member: 129240Members
    You should have to hold E to heal instead of just looking at it.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2034143:date=Nov 25 2012, 11:57 AM:name=Babaganoush)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Babaganoush @ Nov 25 2012, 11:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2034143"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Seriously, is there? While all aliens have to do is be at the vicinity of a crag, shift, hive, marines have to LOOK at the armory to get healed at rearmed.

Oh and from a 8k peak dropped down already to a 1.8k peak on Steam. Not looking too great for new players.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't know... maybe because marines are ranged and therefore can attack anything in line of sight, and having this ability while constantly receiving healing and resupplying is a bit imbalanced. Meanwhile aliens are melee ranged and therefore have to be directly next to their target to attack? Just maybe...
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2012
    There's no particular reason for it that I can think of, but I kind of like it that way.

Maybe because it heals extremely fast and a group of ranged players standing around it would be op?

If they made it so you don't have to look at it, they have to also nerf the regen rate.
  • DumbMarineDumbMarine Join Date: 2003-02-16 Member: 13645Members
    If marines could hump the armory and shoot at the same time they'd be pretty terrible to take down. Unbalanced.

If aliens had to +use crags and the hive to heal they'd never be able to defend a base that's under attack from a proper marine assault. Also unbalanced.

It's not unbalanced that marines have to rely on the commander's med drops in order to heal while they defend a position. There's your balance argument. Btw, armories still need to be nerfed IMO.
  • PaniohitusPaniohitus Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168790Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Seriously, is there? While all aliens have to do is be at the vicinity of a crag, shift, hive, marines have to LOOK at the armory to get healed at rearmed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ah, Aliens don't have to look at crags then? Aliens also have to look for them if they exist, because there must be a crag-hive. Marines only have to look to closed armory and i see them everywhere, or take the phase-gate instead. What do you want then as marine, GOD-mode in base?
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2034152:date=Nov 25 2012, 05:18 AM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Nov 25 2012, 05:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2034152"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't know... maybe because marines are ranged and therefore can attack anything in line of sight, and having this ability while constantly receiving healing and resupplying is a bit imbalanced. Meanwhile aliens are melee ranged and therefore have to be directly next to their target to attack? Just maybe...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    QFT

Also funny OP is saying it makes base defense hard for marines, since they're pretty much the turtling masters.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2034143:date=Nov 25 2012, 09:57 AM:name=Babaganoush)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Babaganoush @ Nov 25 2012, 09:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2034143"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Seriously, is there? While all aliens have to do is be at the vicinity of a crag, shift, hive, marines have to LOOK at the armory to get healed at rearmed.

Oh and from a 8k peak dropped down already to a 1.8k peak on Steam. Not looking too great for new players.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because otherwise marines could stand next to an armory and spray bullets willy nilly, while having infinite ammo and health regen.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I thought this was a question you could answer yourself if you spent a small amount of time thinking about it.
  • BabaganoushBabaganoush Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172398Members
    Eh. I don't know. Probably balanced already.

Guess this game is just 2hardcore for me. Constant losses on the marine side have really put a Onos gaping horn into my morale when playing marines.

I'll probably just play aliens mostly or just give up on the game like hundreds of others seem to have been.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Or you could keep playing, get better, enjoy it more? Guess that's too hardcore these days.
    So improving my skill will actually carry my team to victory despite the current balance leaning heavily towards aliens, which is statistically proven according to NS2 stats? Neat!
  • unkindunkind Join Date: 2012-02-04 Member: 143563Members
    OP not trying to sound like a ######, but it's obvious why it's like this, use common sense
  • MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
    Think about what what you just said for one second, please.

Actually I'll do it for you: yes, if you put some time in the game, learned what you're doing, you'll find it's actually not as imbalanced as you think it is. You just simply don't know what you're doing, yet. And it's not a slight on you. This isn't COD or some other mindless shooter where "OMG WTFPWNING" aliens is the end all, be all to everything. There's strategic points that must be held, phase when asked too, help teammates out.

I had this debate with someone on my server earlier tonight. They say "well I just can't aim that good, sorry". I reply "marines is less about aiming and more about teamwork". I replied more forcefully by going something sorry like 12-24, getting the highest score on the team by constantly harrassing res nodes and hives, and our team eventually walks to a win. Simply from the fact of me knowing when to hit where to divert attention from what our team was trying to do. I know my limitations as well, and I play to them. More often then not I help the team by playing "smart" rather then "elite".
    It's nice of you to talk to me like I'm new to the game. Even though my forum account says I joined a few weeks ago I've been playing since NS1 1.0. While 1.0 wasn't balanced either, I thought they would have learned from that.
  • MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
    You claim to have played that long, yet can't reason out why your question in the OP is as crazy sounding as it is? I"m not trying to put you on the defensive man, but there's a gap of understanding we need to close here. Infinite healing and ammo while standing on a structure that can be placed in the vicinity of any active power node? This doesn't sound at all OP to you?
  • PaniohitusPaniohitus Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168790Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's nice of you to talk to me like I'm new to the game. Even though my forum account says I joined a few weeks ago I've been playing since NS1 1.0. While 1.0 wasn't balanced either, I thought they would have learned from that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There allot players here that played NS1, that doesn't make you an experience player in NS2. NS2 is a new game, and if you played it longer you have seen and concluded that yourself. Another game, other balance-issues. The title only of this topic is a prove you played this game not very long yet
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Able players avoiding marines categorically is just adding to the snowballing effect. At some point the issue is simply no longer game balance but player skill balance. Yet the devs will probably continue to nerf the hell out of aliens until they are no longer fun and reached a level where you need highly skilled pro players on aliens to defeat a newbie marine team.
    Meh, I don't know how long it's been since I've played a game this glaringly unbalanced. It's more of I've been playing NS2 marines only for the past few days and that's been skewing my vision of the game. Wins aren't even 60/40 for me. more like 80/20.

There's no need to lecture me about "teamwork". I'm usually the one with the welder who repairs broken down power nodes/structures or your armor, defends RTs while everyone else has fun up in the frontlines shooting whatever they want.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2034196:date=Nov 25 2012, 06:59 AM:name=Babaganoush)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Babaganoush @ Nov 25 2012, 06:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2034196"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So improving my skill will actually carry my team to victory despite the current balance leaning heavily towards aliens, which is statistically proven according to NS2 stats? Neat!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Check out some competitive play first, before making balance claims. There's only an imbalance in win ratios on public servers because marine players are mostly less experienced in comparison to alien players, and marines require more teamwork to be successful. So yes, the better you get, the more you will win. Neat eh?
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2034213:date=Nov 25 2012, 07:27 AM:name=Babaganoush)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Babaganoush @ Nov 25 2012, 07:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2034213"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Meh, I don't know how long it's been since I've played a game this glaringly unbalanced. It's more of I've been playing NS2 marines only for the past few days and that's been skewing my vision of the game. Wins aren't even 60/40 for me. more like 80/20.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

'get better' and 'check competitive game balance' arguments aside, UWE does need to swing the stats closer to 50-50 on pubs. personally, i think a slight alien balance advantage is desirable. but we don't want new marine players leaving cause they 'always die' & 'never win'. FUN required on both sides.

I don't think the OP's armory suggestion is good though. I'd like to see the armory armor healing removed or the healing rate slowed substantially - which certainly wouldn't help the problem :)

Its going to take little tweaks on both sides to pull it back in line.

Now the irony is the aliens need more abilities, scaling, movement work, etc. which will only make things worse.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    <u><b>Babaganoush:</b></u>

You can get healing from multiple armories is your commander positions them correctly

Being able to face outward while healing would be overpowered late game when skulks take 5 bites to kill someone
  • ShrimmShrimm Join Date: 2012-10-05 Member: 161652Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2034143:date=Nov 25 2012, 04:57 AM:name=Babaganoush)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Babaganoush @ Nov 25 2012, 04:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2034143"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Seriously, is there? While all aliens have to do is be at the vicinity of a crag, shift, hive, marines have to LOOK at the armory to get healed at rearmed.

I agree! you shouldn't have to look at armories to heal... and for aliens is it really fair they have to be near a crag to heal?

seriously, that's what you're implying. If marines could stand at a structure to infinitely heal + kill at <u>range</u> then why shouldn't aliens be able to infinitely heal while killing at <u>melee</u> range?

If marines didn't have to look at an armory to heal the only way to balance it would be to strap shifts and crags onto the aliens backs. Does that sound like a good idea?
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    It wouldn't even matter if aliens had to look at a crag to heal themselves because they generally don't do much when healing because they're melee.

If marines could heal while looking away then they would be invincible around armouries. They are already powerful enough.
  • SafewoodSafewood Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166381Members
    Just make it so that you can't get insta-healed by going on each side of the armory, and reduce the armor healing a bit.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2034196:date=Nov 25 2012, 06:59 AM:name=Babaganoush)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Babaganoush @ Nov 25 2012, 06:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2034196"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So improving my skill will actually carry my team to victory despite the current balance leaning heavily towards aliens, which is statistically proven according to NS2 stats? Neat!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Maybe, I win most games I command, either team.
  • Katana314Katana314 Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166379Members
    I think this makes sense for balance, but it doesn't make too much sense for new players. I didn't even know you had to look at it to get healed. Is there some good way this can be indicated to people?
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2034483:date=Nov 26 2012, 07:54 AM:name=Katana314)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Katana314 @ Nov 26 2012, 07:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2034483"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think this makes sense for balance, but it doesn't make too much sense for new players. I didn't even know you had to look at it to get healed. Is there some good way this can be indicated to people?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    yeah the armoury opening, your health and armour going up and the healing sound just a couple of ways that are already in
    <!--quoteo(post=2034483:date=Nov 25 2012, 05:24 PM:name=Katana314)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Katana314 @ Nov 25 2012, 05:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2034483"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think this makes sense for balance, but it doesn't make too much sense for new players. I didn't even know you had to look at it to get healed. <b>Is there some good way this can be indicated to people?</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Watching your HP/armor bar would suffice.