Natural Selection 2 News Update - Build 232 released on Steam (and balance process)

Comments

• DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2032670:date=Nov 23 2012, 02:32 PM:name=Sops)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sops @ Nov 23 2012, 02:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2032670"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Alien turtleing was a problem? What games are the devs watching?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Without whips... not a problem. Angle your shots to hit the crags first... and then the hive... in most cases the splash damage would kill the crags, esp if you had two GLers.
  • RadiocageRadiocage Join Date: 2002-09-30 Member: 1381Members
    Official servers have been lagging really badly tonight. Lots of rubber banding.

Additionally, something with the hit detection is causing a few people I know to have piss poor FPS. It only happens when people are shooting, and really eats it when exos start blasting away.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2032633:date=Nov 22 2012, 07:17 PM:name=Daworm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daworm @ Nov 22 2012, 07:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2032633"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It was a 60% win rate BEFORE the 3hive tres onos...
    They're tweaking Aliens as at the start it was balanced, and now winning is slanted towards aliens more.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They should tweak marine commanders' skill, and the period in most games where 2-3 minutes in the game there is no com on the marine team xD .

I think it's time for some "utility" patches to reduce "dud" games before messing up the balance too much.
  • CicoCico Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33169Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2032412:date=Nov 22 2012, 08:46 PM:name=0ritfx)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (0ritfx @ Nov 22 2012, 08:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2032412"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And my game freezes again :( One buuild was good, and here it freezes again.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

same here, 3 freezes crash yesterday in ~3 hours play.

Wasn't doing that since 229 i think
  • LUSITANERLUSITANER Join Date: 2010-09-19 Member: 74086Members
    Aliens are still op. Fix the friggin hitreg for once and everything should be fine. Also the "2 bites without parasite full kill" are back. ARGH
  • dumbo11dumbo11 Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166732Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2032707:date=Nov 23 2012, 05:34 AM:name=HeatSurge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HeatSurge @ Nov 23 2012, 05:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2032707"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They should tweak marine commanders' skill, and the period in most games where 2-3 minutes in the game there is no com on the marine team xD .

I think it's time for some "utility" patches to reduce "dud" games before messing up the balance too much.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd agree with that:
    - games should not start until both teams have somehow "decided" on a commander. [quick suggestion: when a player spawns in 'warm-up mode' they have a button to 'apply for command', when at least one player on each team has selected that option, the game is allowed to start]
    - the UI is far too fiddly for khommanders. Nearly every new khommander I've seen cannot work out how to purchase upgrades. [the UI should focus more on 'doing X' and less on 'clicking on A to do X']. (dunno about marine commanders)
  • SaperioNSaperioN Join Date: 2012-11-23 Member: 172952Members
    Finally this game starts to become interesting ))
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2032816:date=Nov 23 2012, 11:39 AM:name=dumbo11)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dumbo11 @ Nov 23 2012, 11:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2032816"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd agree with that:
    - games should not start until both teams have somehow "decided" on a commander. [quick suggestion: when a player spawns in 'warm-up mode' they have a button to 'apply for command', when at least one player on each team has selected that option, the game is allowed to start]
    - the UI is far too fiddly for khommanders. Nearly every new khommander I've seen cannot work out how to purchase upgrades. [the UI should focus more on 'doing X' and less on 'clicking on A to do X']. (dunno about marine commanders)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

you can/should practice playing commander in explore mode.

regarding the 'game should not start without commander' thing, why? is there even a single reason why the game should not start until you have a commander? what about when you want to change commander or the commander loses his hive, does the game need to be paused until a new commander is assigned? it seems like a pointless and intrusive solution to a problem which doesn't exist.
  • dumbo11dumbo11 Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166732Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2032843:date=Nov 23 2012, 12:41 PM:name=tarquinbb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tarquinbb @ Nov 23 2012, 12:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2032843"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you can/should practice playing commander in explore mode.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I know players 'can/should', I did. But, in my experience, new alien commanders struggle to understand the upgrade system. I can't say anything else really /shrug

<!--quoteo(post=2032843:date=Nov 23 2012, 12:41 PM:name=tarquinbb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tarquinbb @ Nov 23 2012, 12:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2032843"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->regarding the 'game should not start without commander' thing, why? is there even a single reason why the game should not start until you have a commander?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've played more than enough games (both of the last 2 actually) where the marine team are basically dead within 5 minutes because no-one went commander at the start. (in the latter game, the khommander was "extremely new" and we still won).

<!--quoteo(post=2032843:date=Nov 23 2012, 12:41 PM:name=tarquinbb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tarquinbb @ Nov 23 2012, 12:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2032843"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->what about when you want to change commander or the commander loses his hive, does the game need to be paused until a new commander is assigned? it seems like a pointless and intrusive solution to a problem which doesn't exist.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's one button that appears in front of every player before a round starts that says "I am willing to command", and informs the team that 'XXX said they are willing to command' for every player that clicks it. Nothing else.

IMHO it would do more to make NS2 matches 'fair/good/balanced' than any amount of +10% tweaks.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    Actually, this problem does exist, tarquinbb. Playing only 30seconds without a com at the beginning of a match can already set the outcome in stone.

I don't see a problem in a mechanic that does not start the game until one player uses the CC and one the hive. As soon as this happens, the game starts like it does now. We don'T even need new ui-stuff that takes time to implement. A simple change of the rule-set when the games begin and if CCs and hives are use-able in pre-game is enough. I don't see why you would expand this simple rule to already running games. It isn't a problem, that the com leaves the CC. It is a problem, that there is nobody willing to play com after a map-change when half of the people are loading but the game already starts.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2032849:date=Nov 23 2012, 12:57 PM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Nov 23 2012, 12:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2032849"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually, this problem does exist, tarquinbb. Playing only 30seconds without a com at the beginning of a match can already set the outcome in stone.

I don't see a problem in a mechanic that does not start the game until one player uses the CC and one the hive. As soon as this happens, the game starts like it does now. We don'T even need new ui-stuff that takes time to implement. A simple change of the rule-set when the games begin and if CCs and hives are use-able in pre-game is enough. I don't see why you would expand this simple rule to already running games. It isn't a problem, that the com leaves the CC. It is a problem, that there is nobody willing to play com after a map-change when half of the people are loading but the game already starts.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

if it takes 30 seconds before someone decides to go commander, then i think you need to find a new server where people have cojones.

i never want to play commander, but upon joining a game my first action is always pressing tab to make sure we have one. if not, then i take responsibility.

wtf happens if noone wants to be a commander... it doesn't even let you play the game? f*** no, if noone has the cojones to be commander then you should be forced to play and get humiliated, then maybe you'll learn a lesson.
  • GroverGrover Join Date: 2012-04-05 Member: 149990Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Also seeing the game freeze return at times and find the performance this build lower to the extend that it interferes with playing.
  • FenFen Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72843Members
    edited November 2012
    Yep,i've been seeing the game lock up a few times since last patch too.

Not sure about performance drops,i'm used to play it on such a low performance level that i dont really notice them anymore ^^'
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    edited November 2012
    I like the idea of stating "i want to command" via a good user interface instead of everyone having to use chat/voice. It would definitly speed up getting a comm. For example i dont have much xp in ns commanding but I am also up for the task if no one else wants to do it.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Having a lot of new players on a marine team is a lot more crippling than it is for an alien team.

It feels like a little bit of a reciprocal relationship between the two teams. Aliens have a team that relies heavily on their commander, whereas marines have a commander that relies heavily on their team.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    QFT. In most games I find all the aliens are doing is distracting the marines while the khamander expands. There is no real fight to defend areas because aliens can lock down places much better than marines.
    Clogg wall + hyrda + whips + crags +shade effeciently stops marines for some time while skulks can circumvent pretty much every defense the marines can put up. Moreover, because of the powernode system, getting behind enemy lines is much more effecient for the aliens than for the marines.
    Yes, ninja pgs are still possible and good but taking down a hive quickly seems much harder compared to ns1 (hives also have more hp), while taking down marine main base seems much easier since you just have to kill one powernode. The problem is, that it is much easer for the marines to make a mistake compared to the aliens. There is no achilles heel in a hive room. Killing an alien upgrade chamber equals losing an advanced armory - almost irrelevant. And even if the aliens lose a hive, it is not the end for them. They may kill powernodes of other techpoints during the marine assault or at least force beacons.
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The Shift changes are weak. 5 res for 2 eggs and a cooldown... at least make it 2 or 3 res for 2 eggs, and reduce the cooldown by 1 second. 5 res is nothing if you own most of the map, but its significant in the early game.
  • RadiocageRadiocage Join Date: 2002-09-30 Member: 1381Members
    Which I think is the point. Nobody went with any other hive because you could shift up the most important areas within a few minutes of the game. Aliens could get and hold the majority of the map within the first two minutes.

Maps like Veil, Mineshaft, and Lavafalls were impossible to lose on because you could drop a shift in double right away, and hold it easily for the rest of the game. You would then have a really nice spawn area that is close to two other tech points and like five res nodes. It at least slows that tactic down to be more fair.
  • oMeoMe Join Date: 2004-02-01 Member: 25884Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2032990:date=Nov 23 2012, 01:36 PM:name=Radiocage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Radiocage @ Nov 23 2012, 01:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2032990"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Which I think is the point. Nobody went with any other hive because you could shift up the most important areas within a few minutes of the game. Aliens could get and hold the majority of the map within the first two minutes.

Maps like Veil, Mineshaft, and Lavafalls were impossible to lose on because you could drop a shift in double right away, and hold it easily for the rest of the game. You would then have a really nice spawn area that is close to two other tech points and like five res nodes. It at least slows that tactic down to be more fair.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well i just went shift hive first... big mistake.. useless now. Early game shift is now a no go.
    So now people go shade... it gets nerfed and nerfed... didnt tried it this patch yet... if ###### already...
    Next people will again (u remember..) go crag first.. and the nerfs are rolling.

Btw... to get ur team to double as an alien u had to spend 10 res and 1 res for every teammate... way to op!!!
    Now look what rines do, yeah its the same ######.. just cheaper. But thats totally fine i guess.

Hey lets give aliens a teleport bulding that needs infestation connection to work.. PG for aliens. Since the spawn thing seems to make some people to go wtf OP.
  • LaxLax Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172731Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2033133:date=Nov 23 2012, 01:13 PM:name=oMe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (oMe @ Nov 23 2012, 01:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2033133"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well i just went shift hive first... big mistake.. useless now. Early game shift is now a no go.
    So now people go shade... it gets nerfed and nerfed... didnt tried it this patch yet... if ###### already...
    Next people will again (u remember..) go crag first.. and the nerfs are rolling.

Btw... to get ur team to double as an alien u had to spend 10 res and 1 res for every teammate... way to op!!!
    Now look what rines do, yeah its the same ######.. just cheaper. But thats totally fine i guess.

Hey lets give aliens a teleport bulding that needs infestation connection to work.. PG for aliens. Since the spawn thing seems to make some people to go wtf OP.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Today I went Shift first 4 games in a row and we won every game.
  • LemonjaLemonja Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171511Members
    The Alien nerfs are good in terms of game balance, but Aliens are now forced to be defensive too much imho. I'm feeling that the game is now a bit boring.
  • UzverUzver Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172632Members, Reinforced - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=2032849:date=Nov 23 2012, 07:57 PM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Nov 23 2012, 07:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2032849"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually, this problem does exist, tarquinbb. Playing only 30seconds without a com at the beginning of a match can already set the outcome in stone.

I don't see a problem in a mechanic that does not start the game until one player uses the CC and one the hive. As soon as this happens, the game starts like it does now. We don'T even need new ui-stuff that takes time to implement. A simple change of the rule-set when the games begin and if CCs and hives are use-able in pre-game is enough. I don't see why you would expand this simple rule to already running games. It isn't a problem, that the com leaves the CC. It is a problem, that there is nobody willing to play com after a map-change when half of the people are loading but the game already starts.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    When you playing as marine at the start of game is not a problem quickly go to CC, setup the building process (like second IP, armory, extractors around the map) and logout. So some minutes of game will not be lost because of "no commander".
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2033507:date=Nov 24 2012, 03:06 AM:name=Uzver)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Uzver @ Nov 24 2012, 03:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2033507"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When you playing as marine at the start of game is not a problem quickly go to CC, setup the building process (like second IP, armory, extractors around the map) and logout. So some minutes of game will not be lost because of "no commander".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    most people are completely incapable of taking the initiative so you end up being 'stuck' as the commander

as a player, you shouldn't have to take <i>any </i>steps to mitigate this. this is an issue that is completely fixable by the developers with a simple "unready" state before both teams have commanders.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Tarquinbb, I think you need to find a thread to argu in, Necro just tore you a new one. Although you probably don't realise it.
  • SchleppySchleppy Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155181Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Changed combat time-out to 3 seconds (was 1.5) seconds (makes Regeneration and Cloaking less powerful and easy to use).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--> No, this is the wrong way to go about it. Okay, it might be the easiest way, but it takes you in the wrong direction. Let the regeneration work as it does in 230 while on infestation, and have it use a 3 second "out of combat" timer when not on infestation. The out of combat timer is what makes regeneration useless/niche. Let them have constant regen when on infestation and not have it while not on it. Simple enough.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Reduced Shade cloaking radius from 20 to 14. Re-balanced Crags so they now self-heal, but only give 3% health every 2 seconds (min 10, max 40). (was 5%, min 10, max 50).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--> I assume this comes from this quote..

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There seems to be a lot of Shade and Crag spam in hive rooms in pubs, making it quite hard for marines to kill hives. Cloaking and Regeneration also seem to be too easy to use, giving Skulks especially a large advantage against equally skilled marines. So these changes are here to help address these problems in particular.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Think about that for a minute, you want to combat spamming structures, so you make the structures less useful to encourage the aliens to create more of them to offset their reduced usefulness as a means of combating spamming. So now instead of making maybe 2 crags aliens will go back to making 4, but that's somehow not spamming? Instead of 2 shades to keep the entire hive area cloaked now they make 3, but that's not spamming? If you want to encourage less structure spamming you either have to make them more effective (and presumably for a higher cost) or make them less effective (so they aren't worth making)
  • Metal HandkerchiefMetal Handkerchief Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168697Members
    Lerks seem slower after patch. Finding it impossible to live with, so patch break.
  • PanzerknackerPanzerknacker Join Date: 2012-11-24 Member: 173058Members
    FIX PERFORMANCE ISSUES PLZ

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=125150" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=125150</a>

I dont care about the balance if I can't even play the game anymore!!

There went something wrong with this patch!
  • OutlawDrOutlawDr Join Date: 2009-06-21 Member: 67887Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2031647:date=Nov 21 2012, 05:20 PM:name=Mr.Greedy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr.Greedy @ Nov 21 2012, 05:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2031647"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Decreasing the amount of heal for crags is just a bad decision and will not prevent cragspamming.

Increase the heal and make them non-stacking.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This.
  • zombiehellmonkeyzombiehellmonkey Join Date: 2007-08-31 Member: 62093Members, Squad Five Blue
    There appears to be some issues with Overview.exe not being able to render minimaps. My custom map Kleos is crashing after a few minutes of starting a game.
  • MelancorMelancor Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24415Members
    Some minimaps are still wrong. They shows passages where there aren't any. Isn't that a five minute Photoshop job?
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    edited December 2012
    <a href="http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm134/waystin2/NecroBumpBatman.jpg" target="_blank">http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm134/w...oBumpBatman.jpg</a>

<!--coloro:orange--><span style="color:orange"><!--/coloro-->User was warned for this post --Zaggy<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • LethalVectorLethalVector Join Date: 2012-12-03 Member: 174067Members
    On the topic of Khammandar being boring... It's never boring if you have a Mic and the sound on. A good Alien Khammandar is part coach, part resource manager.

On the topic of reduced performance during shooting, is it possible that this is a Sound issue? I'm not a hardware guru, but back in the day, sound effects were a unsuspecting but very common issue with many games. The fact that the mini-guns are giant noise cannons leads to me wonder as I'm sure others have looked at more obvious causes such as muzzle flaring effects, hit calculation, etc.