Natural Selection 2 News Update - Build 232 released on Steam (and balance process)

FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds EntertainmentSan Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
edited November 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
Please post comments on the topic Natural Selection 2 News Update - Build 232 released on Steam (and balance process) here

Comments

• NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    I don't like the new skulk movement. I feel so heavy now. The fast fluidity seems gone.
  • trinity.nstrinity.ns Join Date: 2008-12-07 Member: 65688Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Glad balance is being worked on. I know you'll figure it out eventually. This also took some time for ns1. Keep it up! :)
  • PhOeNiX4PhOeNiX4 Join Date: 2004-08-26 Member: 30912Members
    Sure this is the full changelog? jokes.

Any chance we could get a lastinv keybind?
  • SandrockSandrock Join Date: 2002-12-16 Member: 10905Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    played a few games last night. still saw a lot of alien wins, but overall was ok. one thing I did notice was lerk spores were ridiculously potent. marines dying in 3 seconds. not sure if I was on a modded server though
  • AgielAgiel Join Date: 2006-11-14 Member: 58605Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    Just to avoid confusion: This blog post is about build 232. Build 231 was a hotfix for some map problems.
  • FlyveHestFlyveHest Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165847Members
    Why not implement a tournament_mode, maybe even visible in the serverbrowser like Rookie servers?

That way, you could operate with two different rulesets, and please everyone :)
  • xmainexmaine Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68409Members
    I've noticed that in mid sized games, Aliens expand much more quickly compared to marines. I think the cooldown on cysts needs to be increased.
  • carlgmcarlgm Join Date: 2004-08-26 Member: 30907Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2031622:date=Nov 21 2012, 06:04 PM:name=FlyveHest)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FlyveHest @ Nov 21 2012, 06:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2031622"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That way, you could operate with two different rulesets, and please everyone :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't know of any competitive players who've thought it through, that actually want this?
  • BiteyBitey Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151622Members, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    The skulk wall jump gravity changed, as it's not in the offical change log. It might be an unintended side effect of some changes? While it's not all bad, it is a very noticeable change in terms of how to chain jumps together moving through summit.

Will make a video if needed and have footage of prior settings to showcase difference.
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    edited November 2012
    Where did this shade nerf come from? Shade hive was too strong? Why does it always seem like the devs are playing a different game than we are.
  • SquishyOneSquishyOne Join Date: 2005-01-11 Member: 34963Members
    There's simply no reason to have onos attached to a third hive. A time period where onoses can't be dropped around 15 minutes would be much superior because sometimes aliens on maps like veil especially get stuck for a long time. Aliens absolutely need a way to teleport between hives, gorge tunnel, whatever it may be. A game should never be decided by which set of eggs you spawn in. I have not seen a shift since the patch to it. I think skulks should go from cloaked to uncloaked a bit slower, it feels pretty quick at the moment.
  • Mr.GreedyMr.Greedy Join Date: 2012-07-21 Member: 154270Members
    Decreasing the amount of heal for crags is just a bad decision and will not prevent cragspamming.

Increase the heal and make them non-stacking.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2031632:date=Nov 21 2012, 06:09 PM:name=Bitey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bitey @ Nov 21 2012, 06:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2031632"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The skulk wall jump gravity changed, as it's not in the offical change log. It might be an unintended side effect of some changes? While it's not all bad, it is a very noticeable change in terms of how to chain jumps together moving through summit.

Will make a video if needed and have footage of prior settings to showcase difference.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I thought it felt different, more sluggish. What's your take on how exactly it changed?
  • marsvinmarsvin Join Date: 2011-03-22 Member: 87920Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Changed combat time-out to 3 seconds (was 1.5) seconds (makes Regeneration and Cloaking less powerful and easy to use).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I haven't had a chance to play yet but I assume this also applies to celerity? It was already a pain to get your speed up as cele-gorge (no speed while bile bomb is in effect, no speed if they get a single round in) but now we have to wait twice as long? >_>'
  • bLink`bLink` Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146506Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Skulks feels different in 232. What was changed?
  • BiteyBitey Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151622Members, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=2031648:date=Nov 21 2012, 04:21 PM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Nov 21 2012, 04:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2031648"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I thought it felt different, more sluggish. What's your take on how exactly it changed?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Seems like there is more gravity jumping off the wall, so you drop to the ground faster. It has it's ups and downs, but it'd be nice if this stuff can stop changing. Or at least be vocalized in patch notches @Charles
  • The Vault KeyThe Vault Key Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169550Members
    My FPS is still low as hell.
    Waiting for a fix.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23688
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Seems like there is more gravity jumping off the wall, so you drop to the ground faster<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I noticed that in the last patch before 232. Cant tell if its a change in gravity, or if you simply don't get the same kind of boost from an upwards wall jump anymore. It's a massive, unneeded agility nerf imo.
  • AlbaAlba Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168779Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2031619:date=Nov 21 2012, 03:02 PM:name=Sandrock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sandrock @ Nov 21 2012, 03:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2031619"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->played a few games last night. still saw a lot of alien wins, but overall was ok. one thing I did notice was lerk spores were ridiculously potent. marines dying in 3 seconds. not sure if I was on a modded server though<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    On FFA, most beginners keep joining Marines... You can't do anything about it. It takes time to realize that aliens are easier to play than marines. In my opinion, marines requires more communications than aliens do and they both require the same aiming skill.
  • AussieKidAussieKid Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154896Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    Does UWE have a couple of official balance teams? Could be useful for all this stuff in conjunction for the balance data you already gather.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2031644:date=Nov 21 2012, 11:19 PM:name=NeoRussia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoRussia @ Nov 21 2012, 11:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2031644"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Where did this shade nerf come from? Shade hive was too strong? Why does it always seem like the devs are playing a different game than we are.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

that is a weird one... i'm guessing they want the shade to be killable and with 20 radius it was too easy to put shade in a safe spot or another room entirely and still cloak everything. it really put a limit on mapmakers though, if you have 2 small or medium-sized adjacent rooms the shade could be put in a corner and make everything in the next room invisible.

probably one of the 'this doesn't feel right' changes :P
  • SehzadeSehzade Join Date: 2010-12-29 Member: 76024Members
    edited November 2012
    I think I am fine with all those changes...shade's range was really incredible.
    1.5 secs is way too powerful. but really fun to use =D
    regen camo leap skulk <3

I am not quite sure about the shift changes. But I think they are bearable (except the global cooldown bug)

now the khammander builds structures instead of spamming eggs.

edit:
    I do not like the new walljump. I feel so clunky
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited November 2012
    Err, the shade nerf isn't about camo being too easy to use, is it? ....because camo works without shades you know? >_> I'm confused.

Shade range doesn't need a nerf. It's already really easy to find the shade because it's so big, just spray around a little and it's there.

Revert plz. :p

EDIT: Oh, otherwise, good changes methinks.
  • AgielAgiel Join Date: 2006-11-14 Member: 58605Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2031632:date=Nov 22 2012, 01:09 AM:name=Bitey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bitey @ Nov 22 2012, 01:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2031632"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The skulk wall jump gravity changed, as it's not in the offical change log. It might be an unintended side effect of some changes? While it's not all bad, it is a very noticeable change in terms of how to chain jumps together moving through summit.

Will make a video if needed and have footage of prior settings to showcase difference.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I believe Andi is on vacation so we won't get his explanation until he's back, but looking at the numbers here are (most of) the changes that went into build 230. As far as I know there were no changes in 232.
    <ul><li>Wall jump upward boost increased from 2 to 2.5.</li><li>Wall jump vertical modifier decreased from 9 to 5. (This is probably your problem, but was a weird one and I agree with the change)</li><li>Wall jump forward boost increased from 1.18 to 1.2.</li><li>Minimum wall jump speed increased from 8.5 to 9.</li><li>Maximum fall acceleration increased from 6 to 9.</li><li>Ground acceleration increased from 85 to 140.</li><li>Ground friction increased from 12.16 to 20.</li><li>Wall walk code (completely?) reworked and should feel a lot better now.</li></ul>
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    I think a lot of what I'm feeling is ground friction... what did "wall jump verticle modifier" do?
    Basically, on top of the vertical boost it adds this number multiplied by the vertical component of your view direction (looking straight up or down gives you all of it, straight ahead nothing).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23688
    I'm guessing it changes how much height you can get from a wall jump while looking at a high angle, because since 230 you can't get close to the same amount of air that was possible in 229. It's made it rather difficult to get from wall to wall in many areas were you used to be able to chain jumps.

I enjoy the extra friction/acceleration on the ground though, it feels more responsive.
  • ZeCruiserZeCruiser Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 167991Members
    Ah yes, reducing the radius for the Shade. I was waiting quite some time for this. It would never sit right with me the way a single shade could cover an entire room, or two small rooms. The marines, however, need two observatories to cover just a single room, most of the time. And that is, even when you put the damn thing in the middle of the room, it still won't be enough. I am not talking I want it to be super boosted, but when compared to the Shade, the obs did seem very poor indeed, the way you would need two of them for a single room (which no one would do, of course, because of the perceived waste of res).

As for crag heal reduction. I think this is the wrong approach. The problem is their healing stacks and heals the other crags around them. This makes it incredibly difficult to take the crags out if there are more than four of them in a single place. Marines don't really have a way of shutting that healing down, either. At least I don't think they do. Or would the flamethrower fall into the category? I wouldn't know, even by trying it, there is barely any visual or audible feedback for any of its supposed "support" abilities. Just seems like a poor weapon. And then the MACs on the other hand, can all be shut down by a single bilebomb. If it's so important to prevent MAC stacking, why is Crag stacking not a problem?

Good thing, too, that you chose the three second out of combat timer. A good number, I think. Not too high, but not as low as 1.5 seconds, that was really ridiculous.

Now all we need is to have Gorge, Lerk and Fade be able to do more stuff, which will hopefully make them a viable alternative to the popular idea of just saving up for onos and before that playing as skulk for fifteen minutes straight. Lerk and Fade just don't feel like they have the same effectiveness as an onos. It has health, armor, speed and damage. It's obviously the best choice. Please make it be no longer the best choice. I am sick of seeing the onos as the <b>only</b> "real" threat to the marines.
  • pRiNcEkAhUnApRiNcEkAhUnA Join Date: 2012-03-06 Member: 148264Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2031615:date=Nov 21 2012, 03:00 PM:name=trinity.ns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (trinity.ns @ Nov 21 2012, 03:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2031615"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Glad balance is being worked on. I know you'll figure it out eventually. This also took some time for ns1. Keep it up! :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You can't balance a game when the players get extremely poor performance around shooting marines. Any balance change you do will not have a true effect on the actual balance. When players can't see what they are doing it just turns into a luck frag fest full of frustrated players. However we do appreciate that UWE is attempting to balance the product we bought so the game will seem more fair, but I don't understand why they are constantly trying these new balance builds when (like I said above) the players can not see what they are doing in combat because of poor optimization.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Feels like you guys don't want any of the three alien hive paths to be truly viable now. All three are equally dull now... The alien strategic gameplay REALLY needs some more love, not less.