Model and Animation source files

ChopsChops UW Technical Artist (and Store Guy) Join Date: 2009-08-06 Member: 68373Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Pistachionauts
edited December 2012 in Modding
<div class="IPBDescription">like... almost all of them!</div>This is it..

what you've all been waiting for..

or maybe you didn't know you've been waiting for it but I'm sure you have.

Perhaps you didn't know you've been waiting for this because it's not something one normally expects.. it's not something that is normally done.

But it's true.

I've been given the go ahead to do this.

I'm not a hacker leaking secret files..

or a rogue employee trying to get back at the UWE overlords for unknown wrong do'ins..

They've given me the green light..

The all clear..

to

BLOW

YOUR

MIND

<a href="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1064604/modelsrc.rar" target="_blank">http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1064604/modelsrc.rar</a>
<b>*NOTE: These files are now accessible through the launchpad in your steam copy of NS2. Choose "Example Assets" to find the zipped up source files.</b>

All dramatic intro aside, at the link provided you will find all of the source files for pretty much all of the art currently in NS2 (excluding the exosuit and the environment props). This includes skinned models, the export skeleton, the animation rig, complete model compile files, and many of the animations. Note that there are probably going to be some problems trying to open these files. They are all 3ds Max 2009 and do not include the textures. A lot of this might be overwhelming and hard to understand, but I plan to create many new tutorial videos explaining the process for getting custom models and animations into the game. For now, I leave you with this:

<a href="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1064604/CustomImportGuide.pdf" target="_blank">http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1064604/CustomImportGuide.pdf</a>

A text guide that goes over the export/import process and the model_compile file at a basic level. I'll be adding to it as time goes by.

Currently these files are hosted on my public dropbox but in the future they will be included with the game available on steam for everyone.

Note: It should be obvious but these files are not to be used for purposes other than creating mods for the Spark engine. Don't think we won't find out :P

Enjoy!

Comments

• eh?eh? Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147997Members
    I guess duplex is not pretty cool.

Chops is pretty cool.
  • ThelionheartThelionheart Join Date: 2012-11-10 Member: 169317Members
    I raise my glass of hot cider in thanks for this wonderous development in NS2 modding. I can't wait to see what comes of it.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    Awesome! Thanks UWE ^^
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    edited November 2012
    ###### Yes

This.

Things like this is what makes UWE....UWE. This is almost unheard of. Huge respect for doing this guys!
  • UlmontUlmont Join Date: 2011-10-02 Member: 125211Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Just... wow. Words cannot adequately express how amazing this is.
  • Evil_IceEvil_Ice Join Date: 2004-07-09 Member: 29827Members, Squad Five Blue
    Thank you again guys! I'm sure this will bring great new modifications to your game, and further the interest and experience artists have with your engine! I know I will at the very least be contributing my pistol.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    *Gets ready to animate Gorges Dancing*
  • tk-421tk-421 Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58315Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Oh wow, well done UWE. Really incredible support for the community...
  • 2jzo2jzo Join Date: 2012-11-22 Member: 172833Members
    Thank you so much for this Unknown Worlds! I wouldn't have been able to start my SC2 project without these!
    Muah muah! Happy Thanksgiving!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Does this mean it is possible to compile them into Source models for Gmod and Source Filmmaker?
  • eh?eh? Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147997Members
    No reason you couldn't if you're familiar with their export process.
  • Evil_IceEvil_Ice Join Date: 2004-07-09 Member: 29827Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2032203:date=Nov 22 2012, 10:07 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Nov 22 2012, 10:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2032203"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Does this mean it is possible to compile them into Source models for Gmod and Source Filmmaker?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Please please do NOT do something like this without first validating permission from UWE. Yes they were nice enough to release the source files for OUR development consideration, but they did not release them to be used as assets for anyone else's games or engines! They released them to encourage customization of their own engine, and not to allow "NS2 Source" mods to pop up and likewise. So please be respectful of this and hold your horses, they are a small team, and they have done nothing but share their work to encourage and strengthen the community in the hopes of increasing the longevity of their engines life-span, in all the right ways!

Please be cautious.
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    well this is surprising and welcome. thx..
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
  • StappStapp Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67775Members
    Is there an "include model" parameter for model_compile scripts? I saw that the special edition marine models reference the standard male.model path.
  • jaminjamin Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63332Members
    Hmm, I'm now tempted to whip up some "next gen" NS1 alien models.
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Nice to see progress in this area! I've been having <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=124688" target="_blank">problems</a> getting models ingame. I'll go through these lovely new files and text first thing tomorrow morning!
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2036135:date=Nov 27 2012, 07:37 PM:name=jamin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jamin @ Nov 27 2012, 07:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2036135"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hmm, I'm now tempted to whip up some "next gen" NS1 alien models.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Dude, I ###### love your NS1 version of the NS2 Gorge.
    It'd be interesting to see what you can whip up this time around.
  • ChopsChops UW Technical Artist (and Store Guy) Join Date: 2009-08-06 Member: 68373Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Pistachionauts
    These files are now available in the spark launchpad!

Open launchpad in your NS2 steam directory to find these files and click "Example Files". More animations will be added to it in the future.
  • EpoksEpoks Join Date: 2010-07-12 Member: 72327Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Any news on a release of the exporter for newer versions of max?
    I use 2011, so far all I've managed to do is preview a .dae in the Viewer using both Audodesk Collada (2011) and OpenCollada. Once the .dae is converted to .model, nothing but the bones make it through. It would be great to have an exporter compatible with some of the newer max versions.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Sorry for necro.

But could this become a sticky?
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Why? I think Chops may want to hide the fact he promised more animations in the future, and we haven't seen those, we still have a huge number of animation files missing. I would rather they made teh model pipeline more open to modders before we get a new wave of people disapointed by the release not being as helpful as it seems...
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2014
    It was just some ppl ask me how to create models for ns2.

And as most stuff of the old blog and forum is down today it's quiet hard to find it in the depth of the forum.

So for anyone in the future looking for infos about modeling i would love to make those infos more easily avaible.

Video Tuts about Modeling for NS2 avaible by UWE are avaible here:

- Spark Custom Model Importing Guide ( Basic Stuff about Modeling ) - Part 1

- Spark Modding Guides ( Model Aanimations Pysics etc. / Making Gorge Race Mod ) Part 1

- Lets Mod - Getting Started with Launchpad

If anyone else has more links or infos about modeling i would like to maybe make this thread a central place to collect them, so all the stuff doesn't get lost :)

@Chops @Hugh Could you maybe ask Brian to publish the rest of the models so new and old modders are able to play around with them ?