b230 hitreg

fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
edited November 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
Okay, so, I have no idea what's causing it, or even what the problem is; but I find it so much harder to kill things in this patch as marine. I put hitreg in the title of the thread, but I don't know if it's a hitreg problem or something else. Some of my teammates are saying they're getting big fps drops in combat, but I can't confirm that. All I know is that something isn't right.

Anybody else have any thoughts on this?

Edit: I've also been madfragging as skulk lately. As much as I'd like to think I've suddenly doubled my skulk skill...

Comments

• rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited November 2012
    Big FPS drop in combat +1, I have been getting this a lot. I used to get 60-80+ in heavy combat but it has been tanking down to sub 30fps in combat in b230/231. :/ Also hitching when firing weapons sometimes, especially shotgun.
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
    Interesting, I was just thinking the same but put it down to the tiny amount I play. Something definately 'feels' different, but im not sure exactly what causes it either.
  • havok?havok? Join Date: 2012-05-22 Member: 152462Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Haven't noticed anything with my fps but it definitely feels like the hit boxes are off again.
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    I would love to know if there's a problem here.

In the past, when we've had hit-reg problems, people have made videos showing the problem exactly and that a) convinced us that there was a problem and b) allowed us to fix it. So if anyone can show any problem exactly, that would be incredibly helpful.
  • elmo9000elmo9000 Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149324Members
    I seem to be getting small hitches when firing guns in this build.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23688
    admittedly theres been a couple of times I've abused my monitor with profanity due to skulks that just seemingly wouldnt die :P
  • SquishyOneSquishyOne Join Date: 2005-01-11 Member: 34963Members
    Myself and the rest of my clan have been complaining about this since the update as well. Unfortunately heading home for thanksgiving so I can't make a demo. Essentially I'm getting a lot of shots that make green puffs of alien blood as well as shots that look to me to pass right through the skulk so I think it is in fact a hitreg issue imo.
  • {GGs} Chicken{GGs} Chicken Join Date: 2011-11-22 Member: 134663Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Bad hitreg and big fps drops in combat? In ns2? Why sir I don't believe you
  • Ellen RipleyEllen Ripley Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167803Members
    I've been getting some "hitreg" ish problems. Seems to go by server. Some servers I seem to be firing spitballs half the time, other servers everything is working like a well oiled machine.

Last night I fired a 1 second burst from a single mini exo into a skulk running straight at me. My aim was spot on (not hard in that situation) but it was completely unharmed. I had to punch the thing to death as it danced around me feet. I've also once again been having trouble spinning up my dual mini's guns. It seems to happen most often if I'm looking downwards at a certain angle (trying to shoot a skulk biting my ass). Wrrrr-stop, wrrrr-stop. I don't think I even need to explain how devastating that is. Might as well have a bug that makes an Onos freeze in place and spin around like a top with a glowing neon [KILL ME PLEASE] sign above it.

That reminds me, I also had my assault rifle jam! It stuck on 8 bullets, wouldn't fire and wouldn't reload. I had to swap weapons and swap back to fix it.

I would love to take videos for you, but honestly I get around 40-60 FPS in a typical game. I shudder to think what recording software would do to me.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    I actually felt like hit reg was better when I was playing last night... but I was ripping up as a skulk as well, so it's hard to say.

Time to record demos I guess.
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    Agreed, something feels very off as marine. More so with LMG than Shotgun for me.
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    Yeah, fought a couple skulks that just...wouldn't...die
  • Katana-Katana- Join Date: 2008-11-25 Member: 65575Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2031587:date=Nov 21 2012, 02:38 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Nov 21 2012, 02:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2031587"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think you just need to L2P bro<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think fana <b>might</b> know how to play...

maybe...
  • maessemaesse Join Date: 2010-04-08 Member: 71213Members
    I tend to pop up the profiler (profile i console) when stuff starts to run slow, and I've noticed that SoundSystem sometimes shows up taking 2+ ms for starting a sound. I've even seen one take 20 ms.
  • unkindunkind Join Date: 2012-02-04 Member: 143563Members
    i'm no expert, but due to playing fps for like 10 years, i have pretty good non z-axis aiming (as in much better than most people) and i've noticed i'm dominating with aliens and doing worse with marines, it could just be rust/in my head though. I'm not going to sit here and say it's the game's fault when i've been playing mostly aliens lately because they're more fun.
  • Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    my fps gets worse in fights every big patch that comes out
  • PheusPheus Join Date: 2003-01-30 Member: 12924Members
    I'm also experiencing a fps slowdown during combat, which I feel was not present before the b230 patch. I also feel that hitreg might also be off, especially at higher pings.
  • RadiocageRadiocage Join Date: 2002-09-30 Member: 1381Members
    Hit reg is really god awful lately. I'll be a skulk, standing still, biting a marine that is AFK, and I don't always get 75 damage bites.

Seriously? How the hell?

Furthermore, stop balancing the damn game around competetive play. That's like 5% of all games played, maximum. Give them a competitive mode, don't force pubs to play at the same rule set as comp. players. It's ridiculous. Balance was nearing "Good" status until the last three patches, which put Aliens at a significant advantage over marines, then put Marines at an advantage over aliens.

Bites are as inaccurate and bad as they were pre-release. Absolute garbage.

Stop breaking the game and start fixing it please.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    I've heard people complain of specific skulks being really hard to kill. Maybe slot 16 has made a return?
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The biggest systematic factor causing alien winrates > marine winrates (in the absence of anything that is glaringly imbalanced) is generally hitreg, which disproportionally affects marines. Glancing bites helps to cover up any alien hit reg problems if any. Previous builds saw crag, regen, and cloak being pretty OP despite the onos egg change though.

I could be wrong, but in terms of balance variables and movement mechanics in b232, the game should once again be favouring marines in the early to mid game imo where most games are decided. Someone please correct me if i've missed a big imbalance still present. That's just the intuition i get based on experience. So if alien winrates > marine winrates persist, i think thats a strong indicator of hitreg problems.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    I don't understand why this perception of bad hit reg isn't more widespread. Ok, maybe I'm so noob I can't tell when I'm hitting or missing, but absolutely nobody I play with has complained about generally bad hit registration.

I understand that this is one of the few cases were a competitive player's input should be greatly valued, but honestly I don't understand the disparity.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2031927:date=Nov 22 2012, 05:24 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Nov 22 2012, 05:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2031927"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't understand why this perception of bad hit reg isn't more widespread. Ok, maybe I'm so noob I can't tell when I'm hitting or missing, but absolutely nobody I play with has complained about generally bad hit registration.

I understand that this is one of the few cases were a competitive player's input should be greatly valued, but honestly I don't understand the disparity.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    well, the more you play i think the better you understand what should have hit (or would have hit in a previous build etc.) or what shouldn't. Something starts irking you as well when you trend from being able to kill most skulks with 10-15 bullets to like 20-30. That and new players can't track 'fast' moving objects very well in the first place, so most of their "on target" is on stationary or slow moving skulks which probably won't suffer from large hit reg effects.. I dno, hit reg is really hard to look at other than as a systematic factor which swings overall winrates because the individual experience can vary alot.

NS2 is also probably confusing/immersive enough that the vast majority of new players are still trying to adapt to say skulk tracking, let alone knowing whether a few bullets which probably should have hit didn't.
  • Omar - The WireOmar - The Wire Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165320Members
    My recent (since 232) hitreg problems have been directly tied to one thing... a sudden FPS drop.

Pre 232, I was averaging 100 fps, with 70 in heavy combat. I'm down to 60-40. Nothing has changed on my end and I even did a fresh restart. Last night, go to bed at 100 fps, today turn on to less than 60.
  • EißfeldtEißfeldt Join Date: 2012-08-15 Member: 155658Members
    I have exactly the same problems since 230.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    I killed 2 EXOs as a skulk. Both EXOs were shooting down at me the whole time and not only did I kill them both I lived. I don't see how this can be considered working as intended. Even a 5 year old wouldn't be able to miss something that close.

The reality is that I know I'm not 'that good' that I could ever actually pull this off normally. So either I have somehow gained mad skillz or there is something amiss.
    <!--quoteo(post=2031868:date=Nov 21 2012, 11:44 PM:name=Radiocage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Radiocage @ Nov 21 2012, 11:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2031868"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hit reg is really god awful lately. I'll be a skulk, standing still, biting a marine that is AFK, and I don't always get 75 damage bites.

Seriously? How the hell?

Furthermore, stop balancing the damn game around competetive play. That's like 5% of all games played, maximum. Give them a competitive mode, don't force pubs to play at the same rule set as comp. players. It's ridiculous. Balance was nearing "Good" status until the last three patches, which put Aliens at a significant advantage over marines, then put Marines at an advantage over aliens.

Bites are as inaccurate and bad as they were pre-release. Absolute garbage.

Stop breaking the game and start fixing it please.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, balancing a non-mmo multiplayer game for competitive play is stupid. It obviously didn't work for StarCraft 2! or... Ok, Dota 2... wait now, ok well LOL, ah no, that one too... CS:GO! Well ######.

Even TF2 is balanced for competitive these days (although granted they have a tourney mode ruleset)
    <!--quoteo(post=2031955:date=Nov 22 2012, 02:01 AM:name=Savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Savant @ Nov 22 2012, 02:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2031955"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I killed 2 EXOs as a skulk. Both EXOs were shooting down at me the whole time and not only did I kill them both I lived. I don't see how this can be considered working as intended. Even a 5 year old wouldn't be able to miss something that close.

The reality is that I know I'm not 'that good' that I could ever actually pull this off normally. So either I have somehow gained mad skillz or there is something amiss.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    5 year olds are well known to be better than your average pub player.
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2031944:date=Nov 21 2012, 10:44 PM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Nov 21 2012, 10:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2031944"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->well, the more you play i think the better you understand what should have hit (or would have hit in a previous build etc.) or what shouldn't. Something starts irking you as well when you trend from being able to kill most skulks with 10-15 bullets to like 20-30. That and new players can't track 'fast' moving objects very well in the first place, so most of their "on target" is on stationary or slow moving skulks which probably won't suffer from large hit reg effects.. I dno, hit reg is really hard to look at other than as a systematic factor which swings overall winrates because the individual experience can vary alot.

NS2 is also probably confusing/immersive enough that the vast majority of new players are still trying to adapt to say skulk tracking, let alone knowing whether a few bullets which probably should have hit didn't.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    not only does this apply to hit registry but FPS, or the several "vision obscuring" mechanics of NS2.

tracking a Skulk at 120 FPS and then suddenly dropping to 80 during the middle of a fight - a new player probably won't even notice this, let alone realize it as a deciding factor. same thing applies to something such as the scan sensors. new players probably even appreciate the massive white icons, but they are probably one of the most frustrating things to deal with as a marine.
  • SolusSolus Join Date: 2003-05-02 Member: 16015Members, NS1 Playtester
    I haven't been noticing worse hitreg than normal but FPS now is vastly worse since 229.

Feels like some kid is dragging my sensitivity slider up and down while I play and it's quite common for me to hit 20 fps in fights now instead of the usual 40 - 60
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    I went down to 9fps in a game and the lowest I've been before was 15fps. Performance is definitely worse.