Low resolution hud issues

Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
Hi there,
Its been a while, long enough for my old account to go the way of the dodo. Not much of an introduction but it'll have to do for now.

On to the issue. I'm one of those players that value performance over pretty graphics so I'm willing to make the game look like it was ported over from the PSX as long as it gets me a few more frames. I've found that the game feels best in 800x600 and that's what I use at the moment. The issue I'm having is the hud, especially the chat. Whenever anyone types a longer piece of text it covers my xhair and makes it incredibly hard to aim. I've looked through the wiki for some console commands and the workshop for any mods that could help me solve this problem but came up with nothing so far.

My question/request is this: Is there any way to move the chat or better yet make the entire hud smaller (the minimap is huge too) on lower resolution settings. I'm sure this would be very helpful not only to me but people who have no choice but to use these settings.

Comments

• ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Moving to Tech Support.
  • GnubboloGnubbolo Join Date: 2007-11-01 Member: 62793Members
    i play in 800x600 and i have the chat in the middle of the screen, cant aim.
    an idea is cheating with rivatuner or similar, with texture detail adjustament ( is like r_picmip ) the font disappear at all.
  • Bullet_ForceBullet_Force Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165952Members
    I'm guessing you got a high tech CRT monitor and power house gaming rig to run NS2 equipped with Windows 98.
  • SpockSpock Join Date: 2003-03-14 Member: 14507Members
    It would be great to have a seperate UI and game resolution like Arma2.
  • GnubboloGnubbolo Join Date: 2007-11-01 Member: 62793Members
    edited November 2012
    is really hard with 800x600
    ( im trying to changing the font dimension in an ula file, but the servers refuse me :(, probably pure is on in all servers )

think this is my perfect hud:

time, fps, ups ( for jumpers ), ammo, HP, and a good chat ( with colored nick !!! )

<a href="http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/6752/20110129093718supplydep.jpg" target="_blank">http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/6752/20...18supplydep.jpg</a>
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I think this is already reported, but if not i'll report it today.
    Thanks
  • rabbidmonkey4rabbidmonkey4 Join Date: 2005-06-06 Member: 53321Members, Constellation
    At 1280x720 resolution the minimap on the combat maps I've played gets cut off. The rezoom minimap option in General settings doesn't seem to work either.
  • Mister BlackMister Black Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173201Members
    The biggest problem with low resolutions is the comm UI. It's unplayable. The UI takes up most of the screen, and your view has to be exactly on top of where you want to place something. If you want to drop a cyst or whatever, it has to be in the dead center of the screen.

Also, the server browser is unreadable, the text overlaps. The UI elements should scale with resolution or use smaller fonts.

Playing at 640x480 is the only way I can play the game with all the goodies enabled. At 720p or higher I have to disable everything for 30+ fps in normal play. I'm not blaming the devs for that, you can only "optimize" a game so much, but I would like the UI to scale properly with lower resolutions.