Natural Selection 2 News Update - Build 229 Beta Released on Steam

Comments

• tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    not really the place for suggestions i guess, but i'd like configurable comm hotkeys too... i can't believe it allows you to use 'V' for push-to-talk, but it cancels upgrades and recycles buildings as commander.

team: "we need orders!"
    me: *....wtf how to i unselect i dont want to recycle the phase gate ESC ESC ESC argh doesnt even work!!!*
    team: "commander wtf.... orders!"
    me: "get sub station and c-12... oh btw i just sold the arms lab"

seriously, i've been creating mac's for the sole purpose of giving me something to 'select' which doesn't go fubar when you press 'V'.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2021863:date=Nov 13 2012, 10:05 AM:name=NoxZA)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NoxZA @ Nov 13 2012, 10:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021863"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not sure if posted before but:

BUG: When damaging yourself with a flamethrower, you show up on alien's hive sight (you get the orange outline around you).

EDIT:

BUG: If a marine attacks his team member, that team member will also show up on hive sight. Doesn't matter which weapon, seems to work with all of them. Haven't tested with exos, but I assume it works for them too. EDIT2: Tested, works the same on exos<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Did you had cheats activated for the second part?

<!--quoteo(post=2021907:date=Nov 13 2012, 11:36 AM:name=LUSITANER)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LUSITANER @ Nov 13 2012, 11:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021907"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I dont know why it isnt qwerty in every country that uses similar alphabets.... that french keyboard is just a F'ing mess O.o<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't understand why the qwerty still exists... that keyboard is so outdated (1873), is for another age and is really bad for our health. I don't see why nopt everyybody drink Caco-calo and eat at Mocda. Everybody should do as me!

<!--quoteo(post=2021905:date=Nov 13 2012, 11:32 AM:name=LUSITANER)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LUSITANER @ Nov 13 2012, 11:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021905"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Dunno if this was already posted on this topic, or if this is even a bug, but biting (for exemple) an egg/hive/cyst as a skulk on explore mode makes that electric hit sound that comes out when a power node is being chomped.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yep, this one is recorded.
  • MGS-3MGS-3 France Join Date: 2006-11-11 Member: 58540Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2021893:date=Nov 13 2012, 11:18 AM:name=Hamlet)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hamlet @ Nov 13 2012, 11:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021893"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thanks for the testing session, guys.
    I have to mention the comm keys again:
    It would make NS2 much more accessible and convenient for your German, French, Canadian and all the other players that don't use QWERTY keyboard layouts.
    Just look at how confusing the hotkeys must be to a French commander:<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A small solution (fr language sry): <a href="http://ns2-fr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5536#p5536" target="_blank">http://ns2-fr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5536#p5536</a>
  • NoxZANoxZA Join Date: 2012-09-18 Member: 159814Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2021936:date=Nov 13 2012, 01:07 PM:name=Regnareb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Regnareb @ Nov 13 2012, 01:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021936"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Did you had cheats activated for the second part?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No, cheats were off. No damage is done to marine, as it should be, but he gets the orange outline for aliens if he is attacked by other marines.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2021911:date=Nov 13 2012, 05:40 AM:name=NoxZA)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NoxZA @ Nov 13 2012, 05:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021911"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->^Because the qwerty layout is specifically for English, it just types better.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

QWERTY is designed to prevent the hammers on old mechanical typewritters from getting jammed. It is not designed for optimal typing. QWERTY has only 32% of letters typed on the home row and most typing is done by the left hand, which is often weaker. Many common letter combinations require awkward finger movements.

Dvorak has 70% of keypresses(english) on the home row and alternates hands a lot. Bottom row has only 8% because that's the most difficult row of keys to press correctly and quickly. The layout is designed to eliminate the awkward finger movements that many common letter combinations cause on QWERTY.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2021947:date=Nov 13 2012, 12:27 PM:name=NoxZA)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NoxZA @ Nov 13 2012, 12:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021947"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No, cheats were off. No damage is done to marine, as it should be, but he gets the orange outline for aliens if he is attacked by other marines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Strange, because I just tested it and it didn't worked. Are you sure it was not a skulk who parasited them at the same time?
    I will try to test it more later.
  • JuomariJuomari Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167141Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2021432:date=Nov 12 2012, 04:55 PM:name=Strayan (NS2HD))--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Strayan (NS2HD) @ Nov 12 2012, 04:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021432"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Please do not discuss balance issues in this thread. The purpose of the beta build is to test for major, game breaking issues, not test balance. We will look through this thread before publicly activating B229, and make sure there are not game-breaking problems.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i'm sorry.... are you trying to say 4min onos and lifeform explosions aren't gamebreaking issues ?

to me they are and i'm quitting because of it, they make public games just flat and boring and very unbalanced.

i'm sorry to hear you are not trying to fix alien team in this beta, because i could have tried to join beta and continue playing and making this game better instead of just quiting, but now seeing there won't be solution for this GAME BREAKING problem for a long time, i'm just gonna quit, i come back after few months to see if anything is different.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2021704:date=Nov 12 2012, 10:09 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Nov 12 2012, 10:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021704"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I like how you post this after it says no balance issues addressed.

I like how your very next post, after this fact is mentioned, is once again about balance issues.

jesus.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's important to those of us who play the game at a level that makes it unfun with the 6m Onos.

Sorry if you can't understand that.

Anyways, I've yet to find 229 specific bugs.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2021973:date=Nov 13 2012, 02:22 PM:name=Regnareb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Regnareb @ Nov 13 2012, 02:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021973"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Strange, because I just tested it and it didn't worked. Are you sure it was not a skulk who parasited them at the same time?
    I will try to test it more later.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm sure. We were only 6 max on the server and weren't playing a game, we were testing stuff out. I first saw it when we were testing that the flame thrower damages the marine wielding it. I then saw that that marine shows up on hive sight. When the other marine run through the fire, he showed up on hive sight too. We continued to test this with all the other weapons and they all did the same thing.

EDIT: Unless the server had cheats on, but I doubt it.
  • PaniohitusPaniohitus Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168790Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2021983:date=Nov 13 2012, 01:34 PM:name=Juomari)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Juomari @ Nov 13 2012, 01:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021983"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i'm sorry.... are you trying to say 4min onos and lifeform explosions aren't gamebreaking issues ?

to me they are and i'm quitting because of it, they make public games just flat and boring and very unbalanced.

i'm sorry to hear you are not trying to fix alien team in this beta, because i could have tried to join beta and continue playing and making this game better instead of just quiting, but now seeing there won't be solution for this GAME BREAKING problem for a long time, i'm just gonna quit, i come back after few months to see if anything is different.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Also here? Pls quit then. You said it in another topic also 4 times, I think nobody is waiting on these crying. Pls stop and come back in three months, maby your onos-problem is gone and you can play again.
  • Cee Colon SlashCee Colon Slash Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152581Members
    I could not start a local server with 229 - I kept on getting the Authentication error.

I could however start Explore mode, which is pretty much what I wanted (except for all the info boxes).
  • LUSITANERLUSITANER Join Date: 2010-09-19 Member: 74086Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2021936:date=Nov 13 2012, 11:07 AM:name=Regnareb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Regnareb @ Nov 13 2012, 11:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021936"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't understand why the qwerty still exists... that keyboard is so outdated (1873), is for another age and is really bad for our health. I don't see why nopt everyybody drink Caco-calo and eat at Mocda. Everybody should do as me!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Qwerty still exists and would make sense everyone to use it because it has been there for long and most countries use it. Portugal uses it, so its just not 'english countries'. It would just prevent problems like that german user has with the interface.

Of course, countries like china or afghanistan can't have qwerty for obvious reasons.... i dont even know how their kb look like, lol
  • LUSITANERLUSITANER Join Date: 2010-09-19 Member: 74086Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2022023:date=Nov 13 2012, 01:10 PM:name=Paniohitus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Paniohitus @ Nov 13 2012, 01:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022023"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also here? Pls quit then. You said it in another topic also 4 times, I think nobody is waiting on these crying. Pls stop and come back in three months, maby your onos-problem is gone and you can play again.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Waiting and doing nothing for it is not how it gets solved :\
    edited November 2012
    The devs ave stated several times that this build would be mainly for fixing big issues.
    If you can't connect to any server at all, THAT is game-breaking, perhaps the onos egg is bad, but that change will come in time. If you can't even launch the game, how do you want to fix the balance? You don't want to build a roof for your house if there is no walls.

<!--quoteo(post=2022050:date=Nov 13 2012, 02:53 PM:name=LUSITANER)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LUSITANER @ Nov 13 2012, 02:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022050"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Qwerty still exists and would make sense everyone to use it because it has been there for long and most countries use it. Portugal uses it, so its just not 'english countries'. It would just prevent problems like that german user has with the interface.

Of course, countries like china or afghanistan can't have qwerty for obvious reasons.... i dont even know how their kb look like, lol<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Portugal, like Spain does not have the same Qwerty has Americans or "X" have, even the Brazilian one is different than the Portuguese one.
    And my point was not even that, but that diversity is on earth, so why everybody should use the layout that YOU use? It's so narrow minded.

And in fact, that last point was not my real point either, I wanted to say that Qwerty is really BAD, as same as Qwertz and Azerty. Those were invented more than 100 years before because there were technical difficulties with the mechanical keyboards.
    But now, there are several others layout that are way more efficient, ergonomic, and healthy than Qwerty/Whatever.
    No, it does not make sense that Qwerty still exists and Soylent_green explained it well.
  • DtereDtere Join Date: 2004-01-15 Member: 25349Members
    Please fix rubber-banding issues in the 228 build. It seems to happen on servers of 22+ people, but can occasionally happen on servers of 16+. This bug causes the lifeform (not Frontiersman or Kharaa dependant) to 'bounce back' to the position they were in 0.5 seconds ago. It happens frequently without warning. This causes gameplay that is not preferred (it rather makes fade almost unplayable). Please make sure to address this bug in 229 if possible.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2022125:date=Nov 13 2012, 05:25 PM:name=Dtere)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dtere @ Nov 13 2012, 05:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022125"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Please fix rubber-banding issues in the 228 build. It seems to happen on servers of 22+ people, but can occasionally happen on servers of 16+. This bug causes the lifeform (not Frontiersman or Kharaa dependant) to 'bounce back' to the position they were in 0.5 seconds ago. It happens frequently without warning. This causes gameplay that is not preferred (it rather makes fade almost unplayable). Please make sure to address this bug in 229 if possible.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Check if the server can handle the pressure. Type "net_stats" in console and look at the tick rate of the server. If it is way under 30 the server hardware is to weak. I hope the devs continue to improve the performance. Other than that, you can't do much beside searching servers that can handle the player count they are configured to.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    Fast Onos drops might not be the most fun strategy in the world but they are not game-breaking. UWE is focused primarily on fixing serious bugs right now in these first few weeks after launch, and the balance changes that did make it in appear to be simple number tweaks. Addressing alien lifeform balance is a more sensitive issue that needs some proper time spent on it.

On a side note, has anyone tried testing crag regen with the flamethrower? Seems like alien healing in general got massive buffs, and if it's true that they nerfed the flame damage it seems likely that it would diminish the effect of heals.
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2022125:date=Nov 13 2012, 10:25 AM:name=Dtere)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dtere @ Nov 13 2012, 10:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022125"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Please fix rubber-banding issues in the 228 build. It seems to happen on servers of 22+ people, but can occasionally happen on servers of 16+. This bug causes the lifeform (not Frontiersman or Kharaa dependant) to 'bounce back' to the position they were in 0.5 seconds ago. It happens frequently without warning. This causes gameplay that is not preferred (it rather makes fade almost unplayable). Please make sure to address this bug in 229 if possible.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I was experiencing rubber banding as well. Forgot to check r_stats though. Kind of doubt it was the server though, I haven't played on an underpowered server since release.
  • CodeCowboyCodeCowboy Join Date: 2012-09-21 Member: 160235Members
    So I connected and there was no one playing on Beta.

Any particular time of day that folks are on it?

Also, For those who complain about changing from beta to normal... it takes all of 30 seconds to change it... something like 3 meg download.
    <!--quoteo(post=2022144:date=Nov 13 2012, 05:42 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Nov 13 2012, 05:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022144"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fast Onos drops might not be the most fun strategy in the world but they are not game-breaking. UWE is focused primarily on fixing serious bugs right now in these first few weeks after launch, and the balance changes that did make it in appear to be simple number tweaks. Addressing alien lifeform balance is a more sensitive issue that needs some proper time spent on it.

On a side note, has anyone tried testing crag regen with the flamethrower? Seems like alien healing in general got massive buffs, and if it's true that they nerfed the flame damage it seems likely that it would diminish the effect of heals.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    We also tried that, kinda hard to kill a crag if it's next to a hive with 2 other crags but it can be done, just need to get the burn stack high enough.
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2022144:date=Nov 13 2012, 10:42 AM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Nov 13 2012, 10:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022144"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On a side note, has anyone tried testing crag regen with the flamethrower? Seems like alien healing in general got massive buffs, and if it's true that they nerfed the flame damage it seems likely that it would diminish the effect of heals.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

dont see anything in the code that ties heal rate to Crag IsOnFire status
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2022225:date=Nov 13 2012, 01:02 PM:name=NoxZA)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NoxZA @ Nov 13 2012, 01:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022225"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We also tried that, kinda hard to kill a crag if it's next to a hive with 2 other crags but it can be done, just need to get the burn stack high enough.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ah, so the flames are a stacking DoT? That's new I think and would explain the damage nerf.

Now that I think about it, jeffco's changelog mentioned that there's a 80% penalty to in-combat regen. Maybe there's a bug that this isn't getting applied to crag heals and/or structures?
  • spaceturtlespaceturtle Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154714Members
    Not seeing any beta servers listed when I refresh. Anyone else ?
  • PaniohitusPaniohitus Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168790Members
    I had a tought, why not let beta-patches being used for servers as mod. Players have to do nothing then, only play on servers that has latest beta-patch installed as mod...
    <!--quoteo(post=2022285:date=Nov 13 2012, 01:58 PM:name=Paniohitus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Paniohitus @ Nov 13 2012, 01:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022285"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I had a tought, why not let beta-patches being used for servers as mod. Players have to do nothing then, only play on servers that has latest beta-patch installed as mod...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not all beta patches are going to be simple LUA swaps, there could be engine changes too.
    <!--quoteo(post=2022239:date=Nov 13 2012, 07:17 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Nov 13 2012, 07:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022239"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ah, so the flames are a stacking DoT? That's new I think and would explain the damage nerf.

Now that I think about it, jeffco's changelog mentioned that there's a 80% penalty to in-combat regen. Maybe there's a bug that this isn't getting applied to crag heals and/or structures?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    AKAIK they always had a DoT effect, it might just be increased in the patch.

We're getting off topic here, this isn't about balance but more for game breaking bugs. In my time with the beta it seems good, nothing that stopped any of us from playing.
    <!--quoteo(post=2022297:date=Nov 13 2012, 02:11 PM:name=NoxZA)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NoxZA @ Nov 13 2012, 02:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022297"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->AKAIK they always had a DoT effect, it might just be increased in the patch.

We're getting off topic here, this isn't about balance but more for game breaking bugs. In my time with the beta it seems good, nothing that stopped any of us from playing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    They don't want balance feedback on the patch but it's silly not to talk about the gameplay changes, that's what we're all really interested in. If they don't want these threads to fill up with speculation on what's different then they should release a changelog so people can be satisfied right away.
  • SecuritySecurity Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33133Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2012
    I don't like this new way of releasing separate mini betas.

Sure, it may increase the patch quality, but it also delays getting much needed fixes and improvements out.

And at the games current state, those are way more important than some bugs possibly slipping through.
    <!--quoteo(post=2022308:date=Nov 13 2012, 08:23 PM:name=Security)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Security @ Nov 13 2012, 08:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022308"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't like this new way of releasing separate mini betas.

Sure, it may increase the patch quality, but it also delays getting much needed fixes and improvements out.

And at the games current state, those are way more important than some bugs possibly slipping through.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The patch will still be released within the week, they are just doing the safest thing. Would you rather have that they release a patch and suddenly no one can play because of some bug that they didn't notice? Or wait 2 extra days and play fine? I choose the latter.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2022308:date=Nov 13 2012, 02:23 PM:name=Security)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Security @ Nov 13 2012, 02:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022308"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't like this new way of releasing separate mini betas.

And at the games current state, those are way more important than some bugs possibly slipping through.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Major bugs slipping through is unacceptable, this isn't a beta anymore but rather a final game played by tens of thousands of people. They can't risk releasing a build that blows up the game for half the players. These mini betas will result in faster patches, otherwise they would have to spend longer doing more comprehensive internal tests and/or would be more hesitant to make large changes.
This discussion has been closed.