"We're about to GG the other team"

sirshortysirshorty Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165198Members
I'm ready to get flamed here... but since NS1 - many many years ago... I left PC gaming entirely. Bought a Mac, moved gaming to PS2, Xbox 360 etc.. and played only console games, where you didn't use keyboard or mouse.

Now I'm back in the realm of keyboard and mouse with NS2, I've heard a weird saying, that doesn't actually make any sense... Spoken over the mic, many times over - are people saying just "GG" and "We're about to GG the other team"

I'm wondering - do these people know what GG even means? Because they certainly don't make any sense by saying the above!

Maybe it's just me getting old... ! :)

Comments

• includeinclude aka RpTheHotrod Dallas, TX Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12027Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2014448:date=Nov 7 2012, 03:18 PM:name=sirshorty)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sirshorty @ Nov 7 2012, 03:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2014448"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm ready to get flamed here... but since NS1 - many many years ago... I left PC gaming entirely. Bought a Mac, moved gaming to PS2, Xbox 360 etc.. and played only console games, where you didn't use keyboard or mouse.

Now I'm back in the realm of keyboard and mouse with NS2, I've heard a weird saying, that doesn't actually make any sense... Spoken over the mic, many times over - are people saying just "GG" and "We're about to GG the other team"

I'm wondering - do these people know what GG even means? Because they certainly don't make any sense by saying the above!

Maybe it's just me getting old... ! :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They probably mean that they are about to make the other team say gg....and yes, you're getting old...so very old.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    I've never heard it used that way, but proper etiquette is for GG to be said only after the game ends, for both the winning and losing team. In Starcraft the losing player says GG to surrender, but in NS it's rude to say it on behalf of your team unless you've actually decided as a team to F4.
  • ZenoZeno Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62183Members
    Languages evolve over time.
    I first heared that usage of gg by NS2HD in one of his early videos...
    So...GG = game over / win/lose whatever you want.

Because there can't be a bg in NS2.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Good Game is the official way of conceding a match. When you call Good Game, or GG, it means you are saying the opponents have played well, and if the game is still going on, you then F4 and give them the victory.

Yes people do know what they are saying, they do know what it means, but the usage of it has evolved over the years since the good ole days. Funny thing about language, it always evolves, or it just dies out...
  • SuperflySuperfly Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3485Members, Constellation
    I'm feeling really old now.

Back in the original Half-Life (pick your mod) it was very common and polite to say "gg" (translated as Good Game) after the end of around. I've never seen the equivalent on consoles (i'm sure due to the lack of keyboard).
  • |R18|Zerg|R18|Zerg Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167745Members
    Perfectly normal usage, as its ettiquite to say GG after a match, about to GG just means your going to make the other team say it very shortly.

Pretty sure people were saying this even back in NS1, hell even in CS1.03
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23688
    Call me picky, but I only say GG if it actually was a GOOD game. If im on a team thats stacked, we stomp the enemy and I end up with a high k/d ratio... I'm not going to GG that. To me a GG is reserved for an even, hard fought match.
  • wallweaselswallweasels Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73009Members
    edited November 2012
    GG became so common that it just became something "you do". So now everyone says it even on one-sided stomps. This becomes very frustrating when someone is outright refusing to end the game, but you have already lost (especially when teams don't want to F4).

Hell, "gl hf" is dead nowadays because it never quite made it into the "tradition" that gg did. Just saying it means nothing, you actually have to feel it was a good game for both sides (not just yourself). Going 50-1 and outright destroying the enemy team...is only a good game for you and no one else. This is pretty equally common with people saying "its just a game" to mean "I don't have to try". In games like Dota/HoN people commonly "gg" complete stomps just to annoy the other team.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2014489:date=Nov 7 2012, 09:41 PM:name=Reeke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Reeke @ Nov 7 2012, 09:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2014489"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Call me picky, but I only say GG if it actually was a GOOD game. If im on a team thats stacked, we stomp the enemy and I end up with a high k/d ratio... I'm not going to GG that. To me a GG is reserved for an even, hard fought match.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's not about whether or not it was a good game, it's just manners/etiquette. A lot of StarCraft games aren't good games at lower levels, they are cheese games and no skill builds but if you lose, you say gg as a sign of respect or integrity. People who really arrogant and blame their team usually ###### talk or say bg (bad game), I know because I was like this as a kid. Nowadays, I just gg out if I'm losing or wait for the opposite team to gg if we are winning.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23688
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    So you were part of the gaming community, left, and now come back to find GG being used differently.

This is the interwebs my friend, it changes daily.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    edited November 2012
    Yes, we know what GG means. It's just SO COMPLETELY synonymous with conceding a loss at this point that you completely understand it as a polite surrender, and it doesn't feel weird to use it to mean that any more.

Sort of how "I have to go to the bath room" means "I'm need to piss or ###### in a toilet". What does "bath room" have to do with what's actually going on? It's just so established in it's understanding that we don't question it at all in this way any more. There was a time you would only say "bath room" though, if you knew the room you were referring to actually had a bath in it.

[edit] lol @ censor
  • frogfrog Join Date: 2012-10-17 Member: 162551Members
    I studied linguistics in my college days, so of course I get all excited when I saw this thread :P Two things:

Firstly, yeah, everyone knows what "gg" means. However, that we can say "to gg", "he gg'd" etc., is very characteristic of English post-generation X. In this generation, the use of <i>conversion</i>, of switching words from one category to another--ie, from noun to verb, from verb to adjective, dadada--without any sort of modification, has become perhaps the most productive way of creating new words in English. Computer subcultures are particularly eager on the uptake of this: consider that basically <i>every</i> noun in a computer game can be turned into a verb. He got shotgunned. He got axed. He got skulked. This list of examples got etc'd.

Secondly: I have never heard the example you give, "to gg the other team". This actually sounds improbable to me, since it involves adding an argument to the basic expression "to gg" (adding complexity) without affecting meaning. Colloquial speech doesn't tend to get more complex without a need to. Also, it is ambiguous in that context: does it mean to <i>give</i> GG to the other team, or to <i>force</i> the other team to GG? So adding complexity and ambiguity is just really unlikely from my perspective. But language is a wondefully unpredictable thing, so it could well be!

I will definitely be keeping my ears open for this, "to gg the other team". Has anyone else heard it used that way before? Would you guys use it that way yourselves?
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2014567:date=Nov 7 2012, 05:47 PM:name=frog)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (frog @ Nov 7 2012, 05:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2014567"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I will definitely be keeping my ears open for this, "to gg the other team". Has anyone else heard it used that way before? Would you guys use it that way yourselves?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Honestly, I understood the expression as "we are about to surrender to the other team." I have no idea why it would be used as "we are about to win," because the act of GG is equivalent to the act of surrendering nowadays.
    To me, it would make perfect sense to hear in voice/team chat that "we're about to gg" as "we just came to the conclusion we cannot win, and are about to surrender"
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    don't ask why it's this way...

expressions:
    gg (spoken after game is over) = good game
    gg (initiated during game) = I am resigning. this almost never means the game was actually good. nowadays, people use wp (well played) for that

verb:
    gg = to give up (Let's gg. I'm going to gg)
    gg = to do something that causes another player to give up

shorthands:
    I'm gg or I'm gg'ed = something has done something that will cause me to give up
    hagg or gg (before a game) = have a good game (similar to hf = have fun)

vgg = very good game

note the difference between "I'm gg" and "I'm in a bad position". gg usually implies no hope of recovery, very common in RTS games where there is a defeat condition
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited November 2012
    i've heard it used quite often as a tongue-in-cheek 'fml' type context, from sc players and sc casts...

for example you say "wtf they have 3 onos already.... gg"

@ #16 - 'wp' can be used for that, or if you're too stubborn/bitter to comply with the decent ettiquette 'gg' then you could also use 'wp' because it could be interpreted as both straightforward and sarcastic. in a similar manner to the sc2 player stephano, who often says 'gratz' instead of 'gg'.

imo 'gg wp' is the true respectful defeat.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2014567:date=Nov 7 2012, 05:47 PM:name=frog)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (frog @ Nov 7 2012, 05:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2014567"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I studied linguistics in my college days, so of course I get all excited when I saw this thread :P Two things:

Firstly, yeah, everyone knows what "gg" means. However, that we can say "to gg", "he gg'd" etc., is very characteristic of English post-generation X. In this generation, the use of <i>conversion</i>, of switching words from one category to another--ie, from noun to verb, from verb to adjective, dadada--without any sort of modification, has become perhaps the most productive way of creating new words in English. Computer subcultures are particularly eager on the uptake of this: consider that basically <i>every</i> noun in a computer game can be turned into a verb. He got shotgunned. He got axed. He got skulked. This list of examples got etc'd.

Secondly: I have never heard the example you give, "to gg the other team". This actually sounds improbable to me, since it involves adding an argument to the basic expression "to gg" (adding complexity) without affecting meaning. Colloquial speech doesn't tend to get more complex without a need to. Also, it is ambiguous in that context: does it mean to <i>give</i> GG to the other team, or to <i>force</i> the other team to GG? So adding complexity and ambiguity is just really unlikely from my perspective. But language is a wondefully unpredictable thing, so it could well be!

I will definitely be keeping my ears open for this, "to gg the other team". Has anyone else heard it used that way before? Would you guys use it that way yourselves?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's WAY more natural to make an intransitive verb into a transitive verb than to make a noun into a verb in English. There's less linguistic resistance, the two verbs are of the same root type, as opposed to totally different roots in the other case.

"We're about to gg" means my team will surrender. "We're about to gg the other team" means our opponents will surrender.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2014489:date=Nov 7 2012, 03:41 PM:name=Reeke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Reeke @ Nov 7 2012, 03:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2014489"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Call me picky, but I only say GG if it actually was a GOOD game. If im on a team thats stacked, we stomp the enemy and I end up with a high k/d ratio... I'm not going to GG that. To me a GG is reserved for an even, hard fought match.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah I don't say gg if its a terrible match. Stacking should never be praised, or spawn killing, or turret farming.
  • Ellen RipleyEllen Ripley Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167803Members
    Call me old fashioned, but when I say GG I literally mean that my opponents fought well and it was a "Good Game."
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited November 2012
    I've getting pretty allergic to the "gg" comment since I played Super MNC too much. Because most games are stomps there and the game, being a MOBA, is so rage inducing in itself. Problems in MOBAs is that the enemy team gets stronger (outright in terms of personal attack and defense stats) by killing other players. The outcome of a MOBA match is rarely decided by how good fours players of a team play but rather by how bad the remaining one plays. If one player on your team keeps walking into enemies again and again and just keeps dying, you have no chance to still turn the match around yourself, regardless of how good you are as a player.

Hence why there are rarely <u>real</u> good games with equally skilled opponents in MOBA matches. Yet players still say "gg", even after blatant stomps. Be it because they just have no idea what a good game is and follow a stupid "etiquette" ad absurdum or because they have fun trolling the losing team.

I made a rule for myself there:
    <ul><li>Only call "gg" if it was really a good game that lasted longer than 25 minutes and where each team had their turn of pushes and comeback (instead of having the entire map controlled most of the time and just waiting 10 minutes to finally rush the losing turtle team.)</li><li>If you are on the winning team and still think that the losing team played well regardless of the stomp, add at least a "wp" or more encouraging words to the "gg" to show that you mean more than just the etiquette. Maybe apologize for the imbalanced teams.</li><li>The winning team should not call "gg" after a stomp but remain a humble silence. However, if the losing team offers the "gg" first, the winning team can call it too.</li></ul>
  • frogfrog Join Date: 2012-10-17 Member: 162551Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2014587:date=Nov 8 2012, 12:01 AM:name=biz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (biz @ Nov 8 2012, 12:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2014587"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->gg (initiated during game) = I am resigning. this almost never means the game was actually good. nowadays, people use wp (well played) for that<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This illustrates another really cool thing about language change. GG has become a part of etiquette, like you guys mentioned. By becoming a part of etiquette, it loses its original semantic meaning: the word is <i>bleached</i>. Since it no longer actually refers to a good game, we can't use it to say we feel it was a good game. So we need something new! In our case, the term "well-played" has come to fill the gap left by GG.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2012
    Does this get used in pubs? I was looking at this purely from the Gather/Comp scene I've been watching so much of. I've almost forgotten what it is like to play NS2 on a pub :(
  • rebirthrebirth Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62416Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2014489:date=Nov 7 2012, 10:41 PM:name=Reeke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Reeke @ Nov 7 2012, 10:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2014489"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Call me picky, but I only say GG if it actually was a GOOD game. If im on a team thats stacked, we stomp the enemy and I end up with a high k/d ratio... I'm not going to GG that. To me a GG is reserved for an even, hard fought match.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not picky at all, that's exactly how i handle it. I just can't understand how people can call a GG on rounds that have been heavily stacked or in some other way imbalanced for one side. Imho it dilutes the original meaning and i consider it rather offensive if the winning team goes "GG" when the losing team just had a really bad time.

A GG means that both sides had a good time, because they had an even and balanced match that stayed undecided until the very end.
    A round where Marines contained the Kharaa team in their starting hive for 30 minutes to farm nice k:d ratios, without any back and forth, is not an GG, it's an useless waste of an round for both sides.

In that regard i consider proper usage of GG a sign of good sportsmanship. Not all games are good games, good games (especially in public NS gameplay) are usually the exception and not the norm.
  • SafewoodSafewood Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166381Members
    edited November 2012
    I almost always say "gg wp" (good game, well played) at the end of the round, regardless of being stomped or stomping. It's just for good sportsmanship, and those who felt they did good will most of the time feel good about themself; except for those cocky nitwits which actually feel offended by it when their team mates have played horribly bad, for some weird reason.

When I'm playing as Commander/Khammander, I make sure I compliment players when they're listening to what I say; it boosts up the team morale, and that alone makes us win the game; simply because it makes the players want to listen and they generally feel good about themself. So even if we get stomped that round, and I compliment my team mates and opponents; it keeps up the team morale for the next game.
  • KetamineKetamine Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166292Members
    I love when one team destroys the other, I say GG, and somebody says "what are you talking about that wasn't a good game".

It's like they've never played a sport in their life, when you line up on the field after the game and shake hands, and say "good game" to every player even if you lost. Sportsmanship, it's a dying thing on the internet.
  • SafewoodSafewood Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166381Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2014663:date=Nov 8 2012, 12:56 AM:name=Ketamine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ketamine @ Nov 8 2012, 12:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2014663"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sportsmanship, it's a dying thing on the internet.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Exactly this.
  • rebirthrebirth Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62416Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2014663:date=Nov 8 2012, 12:56 AM:name=Ketamine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ketamine @ Nov 8 2012, 12:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2014663"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I love when one team destroys the other, I say GG, and somebody says "what are you talking about that wasn't a good game".

It's like they've never played a sport in their life, when you line up on the field after the game and shake hands, and say "good game" to every player even if you lost. Sportsmanship, it's a dying thing on the internet.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So good sportsmanship means that you belittle your rival by going "Wow this has been great!" even in a situation where all involved players clearly know it's been a pretty one-sided affair?

Why doesn't a simple "Thanks for playing" suffice? How to discern between an actually fair/even matched game and a game where one side had been clearly out of their comfort zone if you just go "good game" all the time?

Good sportsmanship also means acknowledging that you only won because you heavily outclassed your rival or got an one-sided advantage in some other way, it's not a simple matter of exchanging polite words while one side has to eat up the frustration, delivering a forced smile with those polite words. It's like the difference between feedback and constructive feedback..
  • KetamineKetamine Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166292Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2014691:date=Nov 7 2012, 07:19 PM:name=rebirth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rebirth @ Nov 7 2012, 07:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2014691"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So good sportsmanship means that you belittle your rival by going "Wow this has been great!" even in a situation where all involved players clearly know it's been a pretty one-sided affair?

Why doesn't a simple "Thanks for playing" suffice? How to discern between an actually fair/even matched game and a game where one side had been clearly out of their comfort zone if you just go "good game" all the time?

Good sportsmanship also means acknowledging that you only won because you heavily outclassed your rival or got an one-sided advantage in some other way, it's not a simple matter of exchanging polite words while one side has to eat up the frustration, delivering a forced smile with those polite words. It's like the difference between feedback and constructive feedback..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    How is that belittling your rival? Maybe if you say "LOL GG PWNT".. but "good game" has been around wayyy before the internet existed. It's not crap talking, it's part of every type of competitive game. You should be able to lose and not be sour about it, and you should be able to win without talking crap, no matter the circumstances. If everyone says gg, there is no 'belittling'.. it's simply acknowledgement of a game that happened where one team one and the other lost, and now you go on to round two.

If my team got completely destroyed, and if our commander and everybody else on my team were new, I still say GG. It's just customary. If you can't see it like this, then you play games for a different reason than me. You need to be able to not give a ######, and realize it's all for fun.

If my original post offended you, I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to be rude.
  • DaemonlaudDaemonlaud Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11637Members
    GG is well, GG.

It's from StarCraft.

It means the game is over, that you respected your opponents and no one cheated and it was fair and within the rules.

If you don't say it, it means you have a problem with them and are probably an ######/Idra.
  • MzMzMzMz Join Date: 2006-10-23 Member: 58087Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter