New and in love.

PhilkPhilk Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167510Members
Hello guys, I just bought NS2 a couple days ago and I love it. I'm a RTS fan and Starcraft 2 player and this game is all I ever wanted, a RTS where your units talk to you, have their opinion, provide you information and ask for help is brilliant, so first of all, thank you developers for this awesome game.

I played around 10-15 games in 3 servers and lucky I got good ones with friendly people and commanders that talk a lot, I also had two opportunities to try commanding and it is the role I want to play the most, so I would like a few hints on commanding, from the basic and obvious to builds and timmings if anyone could help.

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I love commanders, we can't get enough of 'em. I don't like sitting in the chair, so having someone pointing me towards a place to shoot bullets at makes me happy.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2012
    Commanding can be nerve-wrecking at first, but it can also be the most rewarding. Great to see you around! :-)

I'm sure some of our forum members will give you some helpful tips and builds on commanding. I tend to go straight for more RTs/Extractors first and gain a lot of Res before they get destroyed.
  • B1llyB1lly Join Date: 2004-02-18 Member: 26653Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2012506:date=Nov 6 2012, 12:15 PM:name=Philk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Philk @ Nov 6 2012, 12:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2012506"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hello guys, I just bought NS2 a couple days ago and I love it. I'm a RTS fan and Starcraft 2 player and this game is all I ever wanted, a RTS where your units talk to you, have their opinion, provide you information and ask for help is brilliant, so first of all, thank you developers for this awesome game.

I played around 10-15 games in 3 servers and lucky I got good ones with friendly people and commanders that talk a lot, I also had two opportunities to try commanding and it is the role I want to play the most, so I would like a few hints on commanding, from the basic and obvious to builds and timmings if anyone could help.

Thanks a lot.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

can try to give some hints.

1) the basics:
    turrets are for late game, not for early game. you will use them when you need to secure that point far away, not at start where it's just a lot of resources to spend.

2) keep a costant eye on the resources you have. as in every rts, they must be saved only when you are need that extra structure.

3) you can place nodes also without structures: click on power node and "build power node". I will explain why this will be useful later.

4) your most valuable resource is the observatory.

5) always have an exit strategy, if things go wrong.

6) medspam is a waste of res. use the meds and nano wisely

7) you have to know when a marine will have to be sacrified. If it's a good marine, tell him before sending on a solo mission. If it's a bad teamplayer, tell only after why you didn't support him *

8) learn to understand which marines will be the teamleaders, which the "scout" and listen to them. if they are in a room and say "don't build there", don't do that: they have a reason (probably they will have a firefight soon, or they heard the aliens and the building sound will reveal their presence).

9) your keys are asdf: you send medpacks, ammo, nanoshield and scan with these keys

now, the basic builds. You will split early to mid to late game.

early game
    - armory , observatory
    - res tower (also 2 if the team is split)
    - phase tech

send one group to a tech point, the other to scout and harass. don't use the scan if not needed, don't use the medpack on a lone soldier, dont' use the medpack if you don't know the balance of the fight. If the marines are gonna die, don't use them. if they have superiority, use them only on the marine with worse health. if they manage to kill all wothout your help, you can use medpack then.
    Why? because it's a cost. Do you remember point 7? here the meaning. in early game each res counts. You spam med and ammo? you can't research shotties, place an armory, place an rt etc. if they are gonna die eventually, let it be. they will spawn again. if they killed them all, you will heal to have them toghether as a group.

Now, they survived the first encounter and are near a res node, but you don't have the 15 res needed. Or the res node is near the hive. The usual commander will wait and drop the rt when possible, and this will activate also the power node. they will have to wait res, power node and rt up etc.
    OR, you read this guide and you will place the power node while you wait for the res.
    This way if the power node is built, you will place structure.
    If it is not, np, you didn't lose the 15 res of the rt.
    and the marines don't shout at you "comm, the rt " all the time, and the newbies don't run away as they see the "build it" icon. nice, eh?

now, as soon as a marine dies, command him to build the phase gate in your main base.
    NEVER NEVER NEVER exit the cc, if you're not really good. And even if you are, NEVER NEVER NEVER exit the cc. why? Because in case of alien rush, you have to use the beacon option on the observatory. It teleports all the marines (and also respawns immediately some marines that are respawning) on the cc nearest to the observatory. don't overuse as it costs 10 (or 15?) res.

At this time you will know where the alien hive is. your task, as a new commander, is to take a safe path and build your second cc on the farthest tech point. send your marines there and build first of all the phase gate. so you should have 2 phase gates: one in your main base, the other to your next base.
    there build also the observatory (protected but near the entrance from where you expect aliens) and another armory.

This base will be your backup. Why? because if aliens will destroy your main you won't lose.
    expect some fights there soon.
    So, if you have spare res, build the second cc and also one or 2 ip there. they will spawn nearer to the fight zone.

welcome in mid game:
    Now it's time to upgrade. if everything went the right way, you will have 5 res tower or more.
    on the armory of the advanced base research shotguns. on the armory of the main base, research upgraded armory, you will need it for jp or exo.
    Build one arms lab in main, your mates can travel fast because you placed phase gates, so order to one or two to phase to main and build arms lab. wait a marine to be there, if an alien touches your phantom structure you lose all res.

research armor first, then armor or weapons, depending on marines dieing more or less :D
    send a team of 2 or 3 to harass the other side of the map, disrupt cyst chain, destroy harvesters.
    sometimes, scan the are where they are directing to. not much, just sometimes, or if they ask it.

if this team manages to reach the other hive, tell them to retreat just a couple of room.
    Build a power node near, a phase gate, an armory and an observatory. in this order.
    So, you can send all the team to phase and assault the hive.
    tell them to wait until all of them are inside, then SHOOT THE HIVE.
    if done correctly, your team had an advantage on aliens.
    If they'r gonna die with many costly weapons (like shotguns), recall them with beacon, it's not worth it.
    If you're not going to use the advanced outpost, recicle everything to have res back.

the other upgrades? jetpacks, welders, exo.
    Continue to take control of the map, change strategy if it's not working and go another point.
    protect your cc, build third if possible (it won't grant any tech advance, but will be possible to beacon if it's under attack, and this way they won't get 3rd hive and a "free" rt (the one inside the tech point).

Now you're in the late game.
    build the robotics factory. Why? because you are researching exo,you need the macs and now you shoud have res to build some turrets just to slow an attack to your bases. this is the use of the turrets, not to hold a point.

you can research advanced robotics to build arcs, build some of them and send with exos.

When use exo and when arcs?
    arcs are good (when are 4-5, it costs only 15 res) to clear a room with a lot of structures.
    Exos are good to destroy the hive.
    If the hive is protected by many aliens, exos will have their job so send the arcs and tell all your team to protect the arcs. move to the wall near the hive, deploy them (the key) so they open and scan the area inside.
    it's important you tell the team to protect arcs, so they don't rush inside and let them do the job.

once you cleared an hive, you have the clue of what next.
    if you have resources and all the research done, ask the team if they need anything.
    continue to recicle any structure not in use (especially phase gates, you must leave online only the three in the hives and the one where you are attacking).

build three turret in each destroyed hive, so they cannot build the hive again.

if you have a good team, the game is over.
    If not, I hope the battle was fun
  • icecoldhateradeicecoldhaterade Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164753Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2012506:date=Nov 6 2012, 07:15 AM:name=Philk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Philk @ Nov 6 2012, 07:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2012506"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hello guys, I just bought NS2 a couple days ago and I love it. I'm a RTS fan and Starcraft 2 player and this game is all I ever wanted, a RTS where your units talk to you, have their opinion, provide you information and ask for help is brilliant, so first of all, thank you developers for this awesome game.

Thanks a lot.the real players with mics thing is awesome i agree depending on whos on your team the game is either hilariously funny or serious buizzness<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->