Combat Mode Relaunch

Comments

• MagnetoMagneto Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75856Members
    Yeah just confirming the lag issue, runs fine for 10 min or so then gets progressively worse, this is on a 30 tick server and only 8 players, even with everyone in after restart its fine for 10 min.

Just made another update to ns2_co_stargate, it's more playable now so i would love to see on rotation, ill soon make sure the hive is inside the pyramid as well.
  • w0dk4w0dk4 Join Date: 2008-04-22 Member: 64129Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    hey, cool map! I'll include it in my rotation!
    edited November 2012
    Thanks, hopefully it's ok with lots of players, let me know if there's any improvements you think it needs, things should get better as time goes on.

I don't know if these bugs are related to combat or not but i think it may be caused by the teleport trigger when a sound source is placed near by, it repeats with different numbers, there was also a cinematic script error.

<i>SoundEventInstance::SetPropertyInt(ambient/grungy industrial machine background, 16 = 16): setValue(): An invalid object handle was used.
    SoundEventInstance::SetPropertyFloat(ambient/grungy industrial machine background, 16 = 2097152): setValue(): An invalid object handle was used.</i>
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    we are getting reports of this bug with other maps that dosnt have teleporters so we are still looking into it.
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    edited November 2012
    Mhm @Magneto can you give me the whole server.log after the server is lagging?

Edit: And, does anybody know what :
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->Error: Exceeded maximum number of snapshots<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

mean ???
    Sorry i didn't get log, i've been playing on ArmoryChamber #3 and i noticed lots of cinematic script errors, i had a few on mine as well, perhaps that's the cause?
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    @JimWest
    I believe it is to do with entity data. It's an error I get all too often in GorgeCraft when I have a lot of models placed. I haven't looked into it too much.

@Magneto
    SoundEventInstance errors are in vanilla NS2 as well. Mineshaft in particular spams these errors..... It is something to do with audio, and the errors only occur when you should be able to hear the sound instance.
    jumped into Jim West's server and took some screenies of some errors and uploaded them to DP, hope its helpful.
  • w0dk4w0dk4 Join Date: 2008-04-22 Member: 64129Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    So I had some really bad clientside hitching in the endgame of a big combat game and it turns out it was the LUA Garbage Collector (every like 0.5 ms making a spike, checked this with the ingame profiler).

Im not sure if this is a general problem with NS2 or only applies to the Combat mode though...
    So yeah it is definately the garbage collector, seems like there is too much garbage created after some time constantly?

I will shutdown the server soon because that way it isnt a lot of fun sadly. Looking forward to a fix for this.
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    edited November 2012
    How can you look what the garbage collector is doing?

Edit: I think it could be the new spawn protect system, I modifed the .lua so its like the old system,
    can any server operator try this new lua file (just replace the old one in the workshop folder under lua):

<a href="https://github.com/downloads/AlexHayton/NS2Combat/combat_Player.lua" target="_blank">https://github.com/downloads/AlexHayton/NS2...mbat_Player.lua</a>

The game should work so people can join with the workshop version (can't test that locally).
  • global688global688 Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166968Members
    edited November 2012
    "Server Mod is out of date" - fails at consistancy check

Replaced the server LUA file along with the client.

^ never mind got it to work

66.150.164.103 or TEST Alliance Please Ignore for whoever wants to try it out.
    OK it's fixed now you can download the newest version at workshop!
    <!--quoteo(post=2011595:date=Nov 5 2012, 09:58 PM:name=JimWest)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JimWest @ Nov 5 2012, 09:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2011595"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->OK it's fixed now you can download the newest version at workshop!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    words can't describe it so here goes <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOdNiVsraeE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOdNiVsraeE</a>
    Runs great now, thx :)
    edited November 2012
    ok so here is a video I captured with the latest combat version and the new map Stargate by Magneto!
    I know the resolution is messed up when I rendered the video but I'm too lazy now to do it again.

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0Lfaf49yBfY"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0Lfaf49yBfY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
  • MCMLXXXIVMCMLXXXIV Join Date: 2010-04-14 Member: 71400Members
    That map looks awesome!
    P.S. I'll have to remove those 'Research Complete' messages. They are really annoying! For some reason you don't get them when you play with bots...
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    Enjoying the mod a lot.
    Seems like you could remove the eggs remaining icon for aliens though, and the text saying that you already have an upgrade when you re evolve.

Maybe change the key for the abilities that require taunt to be pressed, I figure more people would have request medpack bound than taunt. Is the building / interaction button used, that could work.

Randomly lost my upgrades as alien a couple times, had to evolve a new one / lifeform to get them back.
  • YotopiaYotopia Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75176Members
    Very nice !
    Was also a lot smoother then normal NS2 for me (Infestation ?).
  • RustInPiecesRustInPieces Join Date: 2008-10-15 Member: 65210Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2012398:date=Nov 6 2012, 02:48 AM:name=Jekt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jekt @ Nov 6 2012, 02:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2012398"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Enjoying the mod a lot.
    Seems like you could remove the eggs remaining icon for aliens though, and the text saying that you already have an upgrade when you re evolve.

Maybe change the key for the abilities that require taunt to be pressed, I figure more people would have request medpack bound than taunt. Is the building / interaction button used, that could work.

Randomly lost my upgrades as alien a couple times, had to evolve a new one / lifeform to get them back.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1

The default medpack and taunt keys are the same, I had to rebind taunt to T to use EMP.
    Use the Interact (E) or request ammo (Z) perhaps.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2011673:date=Nov 5 2012, 10:05 PM:name=Jibrail)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jibrail @ Nov 5 2012, 10:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2011673"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ok so here is a video I captured with the latest combat version and the new map Stargate by Magneto!
    I know the resolution is messed up when I rendered the video but I'm too lazy now to do it again.

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0Lfaf49yBfY"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0Lfaf49yBfY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The event horizon shouldn't be black like that, all the files seem to be setup ok my end, perhaps a few failed to publish, is it like that for everyone?

Really i would like to make a shader effect but im not sure how, only managed to change an existing one...
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2012333:date=Nov 6 2012, 07:52 AM:name=MCMLXXXIV)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MCMLXXXIV @ Nov 6 2012, 07:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2012333"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That map looks awesome!
    P.S. I'll have to remove those 'Research Complete' messages. They are really annoying! For some reason you don't get them when you play with bots...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    yeah they really are, any idea when they are played? when you get xp or when you get xp point? I have a sound in the new bank I made for when you get xp point. ( u can use the marine sound for both teams its short I don't think its annoying )

<!--quoteo(post=2012398:date=Nov 6 2012, 08:48 AM:name=Jekt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jekt @ Nov 6 2012, 08:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2012398"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Randomly lost my upgrades as alien a couple times, had to evolve a new one / lifeform to get them back.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I reported this to Greeds the other day, they get deselected but as soon as you go lerk or fade u get them back and you dont lose your xp points.

on a different note
    I met someone yesterday when playing Combat by the name of ZERO <ibis> he told me that he will eventully put a NA combat server ( possibly even for PT times ) and had alot of good questions and suggestions for Combat, stuff to do with server OP options and the inclusion of Xmenu.
    <!--quoteo(post=2011038:date=Nov 5 2012, 01:57 PM:name=w0dk4)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (w0dk4 @ Nov 5 2012, 01:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2011038"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->hey, cool map! I'll include it in my rotation!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I just updated the map again tonight and was playing on your server afterwards, all was fine until it changed to stargate as it then said server mod out of date, im guessing it's my fault for updating so im sorry about that, i will stop making regular updates from now on, maybe once every other week, i've just been trying to get it more playable and fix some issues, ill probably do one more this week to get the alien planet sorted then i'll take my time.
    edited November 2012
    I would like to point out to our combat mod mappers to make the spawn areas bigger even though we fixed the spawn bug we still have it on servers running 20+ players ( they will spawn but it will take longer time ) and also the armory will not always spawn so please dont make those areas too tight, a combination of better spawn code with big areas should fix these problems forever hopefully.

PS.
    We don't want to use spawn entites to not break compatibility with other mods and the need to update all the current maps with them.
  • PhYzorPhYzor Join Date: 2003-10-26 Member: 22005Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hello,

I see in combat_consoleCommands.lua this line :

// our SteamIds so we can use some commands even when cheats are off
    local kSuperAdmins = ...

Can you tell me wich command i can use in super admin mode ?

thanks.

At this time we can't up the maxLvl ?
    This is TOP SECRET :-)
    It was only to add and remove the halloween onos.
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    Can we have a limit to onos and exos set to 1 or 0 by default? 100% of the games are all onos and exo spam at the end and it gets really annoying having to deal with it, not to mention marines don't get the choice to switch to exosuits whenever they want later on while all of the alien players can go onos if they wanted to.
    edited November 2012
    It might be a good idea but i wouldn't limit them to just a few, it would be better if we get to be them every other life, so no can simply camp and not let others have a turn.
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    edited November 2012
    I don't know why people want to play onos in this so much. It takes almost no skill to play it in this mod and it's boring as hell shooting down a high hp moving barnhouse. It's even worse when all of the marine team go exosuits. It's essentially exo vs onos mod. I come into the server to practice fade or lerk and all of the foot soldiers I have to hunt down are those healing the 10 exosuits. And for marine, it's jetpack kiting a cluster###### of oni in a large room or watching them duke it out with your team of exosuits.
    We understand how you and many others feel about this and that is why hard cap on oni and exos are going in prolly for the next major release. We will first start at 2 per team ( seeing as most servers are 8v8 --> 11v11 ) and it will have a cooldown time so if you are not careful and lose it you wont be able to choose it for 30sec to 1m giving the chance for someone else to become one. ofc this will be tested for the first time and we will see if anything needs to change I should mention that Jim and Greeds are working on improving alot of options for the server OPs so maybe they will be able to set that hard cap as high as they want.
    Also the non dual minigun exo will be gone as the dual minigun exo will lose in a 1v1 with an onos.