Combat Mode Relaunch

Comments

• JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    allright so it seems that combat broke as usual with the new 224 build, joined mr P combat server after loading is finished I get a black screen with the version number in the top left corner, tried to join Cold-Blooded Gorges, COMBAT MOD server and I the game is choppy as hell and when I join the game I can't see my weapon I can still run around lots of console errors are being spammed.
    I find it weird that I experince 2 different things on two different servers running the same thing.
  • MCMLXXXIVMCMLXXXIV Join Date: 2010-04-14 Member: 71400Members
    edited October 2012
    Yep, it looks like Taunt has changed in build 224 and that has broken our bindings for the EMP and Ink abilities. Hopefully this will be the last 'surprise breakage' that we get, now that Max has added support for linking to a specific version of the code.

First I'll focus on fixing the taunt bugs and anything else that I find wrong with Combat in build 224, then I'll look at how we make it 'stick' to version 224! I might not be able to do all this tonight because of this project at my job that I'm currently in the 'sprint' to finish but I'll aim to at least get a fixed version out by tomorrow...
    You might want to hold work on updating the mod, at yesterdays gamespot stream Charlie said that they will most likely release 2 more updates before this week ends one of them might even hit today, so its up to you guys.
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    And the alien buy menu got an error, too.
    Does anybody use the taunt abilitys? I dont see them rly often ingame,
    maybe take them out of game?
    they are used its just not many players know about it plus it says neutrint mist in tool tip/name so it isnt helping, we need to fix that with many others like change.
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    Mhm burned Onos isnt working anymore, I get the error:
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->Predict: Invalid class index specified<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

Any idea what this means?
    It looks like you need to add the Onos to the prediction code somewhere... Maybe do a search for all references to kTechId.Onos ?
    Seems to be a bug, I asked Max and he told me it'll be fixed in 225, so I will disable the Onos till that.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
  • PhYzorPhYzor Join Date: 2003-10-26 Member: 22005Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Combat Mode doesnt work with build 225 on my server, and u ? (client and server differ)
    edited October 2012
    Combat broke with 224 and now 225 is here and broke it again, Jim and Greeds are working on fixing it.
    Things like that <i><b>should</b></i> stop happening after v1.0 when we can hopefully run the mod with older versions of the game.
    We appreciate your patience.
  • Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
    Good news everyone! Build 225 finally fixed the dual core issue, I can play my own maps again :-D. Expect new version of co_Core today or tomorow, with new reworked central area. Released on Steamworks!
    edited October 2012
    I think I fixed the errors now, will make a final test and then let MC upload the mod to workshop if he's online.

Edit: Well, just no...
    Theres no reload animation and the burned ONOS is getting loaded, hes killing me but theres no model for it.
    Make no fun to search that problem cause there are no console errors...
    Finally managed to get (nearly) everything working now, only fast reload animations are not played (complete rifle animations),
    I've disabled them temporarily so we can update a new version to workshop and can play again (maybe tomorrow).
    good job Jim but sadly we are getting one more patch before release so it might break things again.
    I also wanted to ask how things went with implementing our sounds? do you know how it works now?
    edited October 2012
    After installing an old FMOD Designer version its working now, yeah.
    Oh and even mp3s are working.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1999808:date=Oct 29 2012, 03:42 PM:name=JimWest)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JimWest @ Oct 29 2012, 03:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999808"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->After installing an old FMOD Designer version its working now, yeah.
    Oh and even mp3s are working.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thats great!! Let me know the details when you get a chance.. There are some tests I need to make for PG ;)
    <!--quoteo(post=1999808:date=Oct 29 2012, 03:42 PM:name=JimWest)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JimWest @ Oct 29 2012, 03:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999808"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->After installing an old FMOD Designer version its working now, yeah.
    Oh and even mp3s are working.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    aww that's awsome! can't wait to get those custom sounds into the mod.
    I posted Jim's latest version to the Workshop this morning, so at least we have something playable out there. I tried to fix the rifle animations too but no luck I'm afraid :/

We'll see where we get tomorrow!
    edited October 2012
    Combat mod is working in 226, too, so we don't need to fix bugs this time.

Edit: Oh and I changed now the way the server sends the upgrades to the player, should now work without lags even with more players
    (old system lagged badly).
    I just did another post to the Workshop - despite a few things not being in, we're ready for launch I think!
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2012
    Now you'll only need to hope noobs find their way past the 'modded server' checkbox.

I reckon it's perfect for new players to learn the ropes combat wise, so I hope they do!
    edited October 2012
    well once its working again ( crossing fingers no big bugs now ) and people bring back combat servers up ppl need to make sure to tell noobs to go to combat to train for lifeforms and aiming etc.
  • nevaloponevalopo Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 164840Members
    Nice! Going to put it on my dedicated as soon as it doesn't crash on mapchange and when u can edit CVARS (etc max level, exp rate etc)
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Can't wait to play this. Australian servers need some variety!
    edited October 2012
    The Halloween ONOS is pissing a lot of people off.....

It's too powerful, especially when it appears against 2 lvl 0 marines and 1 lvl 0 skulk. We have only 4 kills between us, but 19 deaths. We are trying to fight around it, but it is annoying as hell.

Edit-
    What happened to the ability menu icons? I can't tell what upgrade is what without the text coming up on screen, and why can aliens get egg-locked in combat mode :P Marines don't get IP locked, so why do we have to sit there as aliens waiting forever to spawn in :(

edit-edit--
    It appears to be a bug, others are spawning in while I am sitting here for 4 mins with Waiting to spawn on my screen and 0 eggs...

Edit-Edit-Edit

the maps are too dark with the alien spawn lights off. Most of the maps we played today - co_core, co_ladder(worthy's map) and another one I forget now, were all too dark. In both alien spawn and around the map in general. May I suggest leaving light s on at all times all around the map? Spawn, Turn on Alien FL, then turn it off when you enter the next room. The darkness and flashlight adds nothing to the combat experience, and actually detracts from it. :P
    <!--quoteo(post=2002188:date=Oct 31 2012, 07:00 AM:name=nevalopo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nevalopo @ Oct 31 2012, 07:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2002188"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nice! Going to put it on my dedicated as soon as it doesn't crash on mapchange and when u can edit CVARS (etc max level, exp rate etc)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I published a new version of Combat this morning which should address the crashes on changemap. Adding some configuration files for max level, xp gain etc is also something we had in mind and will probably get round to implementing soon.

In terms of how best to launch the server so that you can run Combat with one configuration and keep your vanilla settings intact,  I'd recommend creating a batch file like the following:

<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->cd c:\ns2server0
    server.exe -config_path "C:\Users\{you}\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2\combat" -modstorage "C:\Users\{you}\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2\Workshop" -mods "5f35045 55e90a3 4d41f11 4fd7fd4 57c685f 57f5f9a" -map ns2_summitcombat<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

The configuration, MapCycle etc for Combat can then be kept in its own folder and won't clash with the regular one. It was an original design aim to have servers be able to use one mapcycle for Combat and then auto-switch to vanilla and its map cycle when enough players join but because the map cycling logic is now in Spark's c++ codethat's not an option for us now.

One good piece of news, now that NS2 has launched and the NS2 workshop is public, is that server operators no longer have to copy the mod files over from their own PCs to keep the mods up to date. Just remember to shutdown and restart your server once or twice a day (via a Windows timer job or similar) to ensure that the latest version of the mod and associated maps find their way onto your server.
  • Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
    edited October 2012
    Do anybody have an idea which servers are running co_Core? Currently I can find only 2 combat servers and and they are always running CO/Summit or Pulse. Do you have any contact for servers operators or something? I really need to see it ingame :D
    edited October 2012
    The SN server in the US is running it at the moment I think? Looking forward to seeing the new version!
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    sucks that the server browser has mods filtered off by default, i thought that was supposed to be removed a patch a few ago?