So are they ever going to "fix" Aliens?

despairdespair Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165746Members
edited November 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
to make people actually want to play them? cause right now they are boring and is not fun to play at all. why do u think everyone stacks the marine team?

<!--coloro:#FFA500--><span style="color:#FFA500"><!--/coloro-->No, shockingly, swearing does not help get your point across<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> --Comprox

Comments

• PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2010234:date=Nov 4 2012, 10:39 PM:name=despair)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (despair @ Nov 4 2012, 10:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2010234"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->to make people actually want to play them? cause right now they are boring and is not fun to play at all. why do u think everyone stacks the marine team?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Meh they are fun if you dont mind the "way aliens play" as with RTS's on release there is a dominant strategy that is powerful.
    Sadly all other strategies need to be raised to the same level as spamming onos eggs.

I enjoy playing fade despite it being totally gimped, I also enjoy upgraded skulk, lerk when we are losing, onos when no one else wants to and despite my inability at it I quite enjoy gorge.
    I honestly find Marines more boring, Shotgun is the <b>it</b> gun... Grenade launcher you have to RELY on your team... lol yeah... and Flamethrower is just ... well yeah... Exo is fun!!!! But I never save enough res to get one... (I spam alot of mines).

---
    Also careful avoiding the swear filter... I dont think its allowed :P
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    edited November 2012
    Remains to be seen. Some people are optimistic, some are adamant that there isn't a problem whatsoever and that everyone who has a problem is just terrible (and they make sure they say this a lot), so we'll see I guess.

I will say this - I've never seen a game with so many complaints of this kind. Usually complaints, even in NS1, were of the 'XXXX feature is imbalanced', ie: Fade-tanking, welder trains... Complaints that half of the game is boring coming from community newcomers, that's not a good sign. The Marines should be the side that's boring, it's all just shotguns and machine guns and standard FPS fare. The aliens are literally the entire gimmick of Natural Selection, that it's "boring" means there's a pretty big problem.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    This post is very nonconstructive.
  • wazups2xwazups2x Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72902Members
    edited November 2012
    I disagree, I personally I love playing Aliens. I think the reason a lot of people dislike playing Aliens is that it's different and they're not used to it. Playing Aliens takes some getting used to, unlike marines. Because if you've ever played and FPS before marines are easy to understand and get the hang of and Aliens are such a different type of playstyle.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2010262:date=Nov 4 2012, 10:55 PM:name=wazups2x)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wazups2x @ Nov 4 2012, 10:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2010262"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Personally I love playing Aliens. I think the reason a lot of people dislike playing Aliens is that it's different and they're not used to it. Playing Aliens takes some getting used to, unlike marines. Because if you've ever played and FPS before marines are easy to understand and get the hang of and Aliens are such a different type of playstyle.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Even if you want to chalk it up to people being new, this is a retail game, and sales are important. If the game isn't fun right off the bat, word of mouth spreads, means lost sales and lost revenue.

Aliens are the single biggest 'hook' of Natural Selection - there's an Onos stomping the crap out of a marine on the Steam page title picture, and not a commander spamming medkits for a reason. That people are finding half of the game boring is going to do nothing but hurt sales.

"Hey, how's that NS2 game I've seen you playing?"
    "Boring."
    "Oh, guess I'll go buy Borderlands 2 instead."

If the problem is that the aliens are too difficult, then the skill floor needs to come down. If the problem is that there's just nothing interesting there, then it needs a content injection. Either way, these aren't the kind of complaints you want to see. Balance complaints, Exos being too strong / easy / weak, that's a different matter.

We're talking about half the game though.
  • Teh Real IceyTeh Real Icey Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166899Members
    edited November 2012
    I love playing aliens as much as marines....except some of the servers that my friends and I keep connecting to are...indifferent <b>*insert sarcasm - forgot this was the internet*</b> ....to aliens <a href="http://i46.tinypic.com/lxwd2.jpg" target="_blank">http://i46.tinypic.com/lxwd2.jpg</a>
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited November 2012
    i've been playing alien for the last 10 games or so, and won 9 lost 1.

when you consider that in every game, the marine team usually has 1 extra player due to noob stacking (14-16 man servers), and as alien i'm still being able to pull out consistent wins like that... you can start to see why the 'alien gimped' idea doesn't work for me.

if there is any imbalance in pub servers, it's very slight and only a minor inconvenience. certainly not gamebreaking... the competitive 6min onos tactic is overused, and therefore shows that alien is overpowered if anything.
  • BlindgaBlindga Join Date: 2012-10-21 Member: 162931Members
    As far as aliens are concerned, I find that I like to command more, as opposed to playing team on the marine side.

In my opinion, the alien com is more important to the alien side, and the marine team is more important to the marine side. While a good team benefits from good players on both roles, I think the marines benefit more from skilled marine teammates, and aliens benefit more from a skilled commander.

I'm a control freak in these kinds of games, so I like to play roles that give me the most control and dominance of the ebb and flow of combat.
  • EnderAEnderA Join Date: 2008-01-20 Member: 63457Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2010234:date=Nov 4 2012, 06:39 PM:name=despair)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (despair @ Nov 4 2012, 06:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2010234"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><i>[So are they ever going to "fix" Aliens]</i> to make people actually want to play them? cause right now they are boring and is not fun to play at all. why do u think everyone stacks the marine team?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--><!--quoteo(post=2010271:date=Nov 4 2012, 06:58 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 4 2012, 06:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2010271"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If the problem is that the aliens are too difficult, then the skill floor needs to come down. If the problem is that there's just nothing interesting there, then it needs a content injection. Either way, these aren't the kind of complaints you want to see. Balance complaints, Exos being too strong / easy / weak, that's a different matter.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think it's the skill floor. Learning to use a skulk effectively is challenging in and of itself - running on walls/ceilings, jumping around, circling marine legs, etc. The lack of minimap is a huge problem in my opinion. (I've said this elsewhere.) Learning and navigating the maps is very important, and hard enough as it is. Having to keep the full map open all the time just to get around makes it quite frustrating, and a big turnoff to going aliens.

Personally, I love the aliens. They're definitely more unique and challenging to play, which I enjoy. I'd love to see a buff to lerk/fade, though, because right now they feel like a waste of resources. Probably paired with some nerf to Onos.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2010262:date=Nov 4 2012, 11:55 PM:name=wazups2x)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wazups2x @ Nov 4 2012, 11:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2010262"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I disagree, I personally I love playing Aliens. I think the reason a lot of people dislike playing Aliens is that it's different and they're not used to it. Playing Aliens takes some getting used to, unlike marines. Because if you've ever played and FPS before marines are easy to understand and get the hang of and Aliens are such a different type of playstyle.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If i play as marine, i have no problem running around killing one Harvester after Harvester, but as alien killing a Resource Tower takes so much time.
    I think because i just have to kill the cyst and then the Harvester start already dying, no matter if i hit it or not.
    Also as alien your movement seems very slow, as skulk you can't be close enough in most maps, because marines can "easily" kill you in distance, no matter if there is a ceiling...Rifle damage is so much. I see no Gorge staying alive in 1vs1, not possible, the spit of the gorge is totaly weird.
    Marines are the easy way of Natural Selection, playing Aliens is very hard.
    If you play marines, you become a beast with shotgun, but as alien, you have to wait the whole game for fade or onos.
    Lerk can be funny too but spores are not very often researched and you are dead with one two SG shots.
    I start enjoying marines way more, today i had a epic moment in mineshaft, killing the resource tower on and on, then a fade comes, i moved to the crushing machine and fade followed me, this was his last step...but mine too ^^
    After all the playing i have some critic about the game, but if you say anything (even it's true) the community attacks you.
    For example i don't get, why lerk is so nerfed with spores, the old Spore shooting was fine, now he will die, i never saw ANY lerk who survive flying into a group of marines not dying if they had shotguns.
    There is no way to gas them without dying, you are forced to Fly into them, which is in my opinion just stupid.
    And there other things i don't like for aliens, on marine side, everything is fine to play with, no limits, nothing.
    The only explainable reason is....ESPORTS.
  • koewikoewi Join Date: 2007-08-25 Member: 61984Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If the problem is that the aliens are too difficult, then the skill floor needs to come down. If the problem is that there's just nothing interesting there, then it needs a content injection. Either way, these aren't the kind of complaints you want to see. Balance complaints, Exos being too strong / easy / weak, that's a different matter.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The problem is the gaming community ... most of the gamers today are used to stuff, that is easy to achieve ... all these players need to learn, that it's diffrent in NS2 ... just wait 3-4 weeks ... and lets see what happend till then ...
    if i am honest, i realy don't like to play with this kind of gamer ... and it doesn't bother me, if they leave
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    Until aliens go even on summit with marines theres going to need to be some changes

I think low cost whips that share hive population with drifters is a good start
  • HyperformsHyperforms Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166912Members
    Aliens are far more fun to me because unless you're playing as a commander, Marines contain the same old FPS experience you find in most games. I know I'm going to get a tonne of flak for this, because the nature of this game makes fart-sniffers think it's so far above the bread and butter shooters... but I find playing Battlefield 3 to be more complicated than playing Marines in NS2. I tend to pick the Alien side much more than Marines, but I'm not opposed to playing them.
  • KopikatKopikat Join Date: 2012-09-06 Member: 158170Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2010244:date=Nov 4 2012, 02:44 PM:name=PsympleJester)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsympleJester @ Nov 4 2012, 02:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2010244"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sadly all other strategies need to be raised to the same level as spamming onos eggs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If all strategies were as powerful as five minute Onos, Marines would never win again.
    <!--quoteo(post=2010300:date=Nov 4 2012, 11:18 PM:name=tarquinbb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tarquinbb @ Nov 4 2012, 11:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2010300"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i've been playing alien for the last 10 games or so, and won 9 lost 1.

when you consider that in every game, the marine team usually has 1 extra player due to noob stacking (14-16 man servers), and as alien i'm still being able to pull out consistent wins like that... you can start to see why the 'alien gimped' idea doesn't work for me.

if there is any imbalance in pub servers, it's very slight and only a minor inconvenience. certainly not gamebreaking... the competitive 6min onos tactic is overused, and therefore shows that alien is overpowered if anything.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thats what we are saying.
    We are saying that the aliens are Imbalanced because Comm dropped Onos is OVER powered and everything else is UNDER powered.
    We are not arguing that aliens cannot win games, but that aliens must use certain stratergies to win games.
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    I love playing aliens, rarely play marine unless to balance an ongoing game, but im not gonna sit here and pretend everything is peachy theres no denying that aliens need some kind of make over.

Imo uwe will abandone ship and let the modders make the game. I kinda hope this happens too.
  • TagertsweTagertswe Join Date: 2010-03-04 Member: 70825Members
    Personally I find the marines boring to play.

But that's probably because Aliens are so much more versatile in playstyle.

Want to defend and build defences? Go gorge!

Want to ambush and harass incoming marines, go skulk!

Want to play sniper or batman? Go Lerk!

Want to stir up one hell of a mess? Go Fade !

Feeling berserky? Go Onos and stomp on the puny humans!

Give aliens a chance, they're fun ! :)
  • BlindgaBlindga Join Date: 2012-10-21 Member: 162931Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2010333:date=Nov 4 2012, 04:35 PM:name=PsympleJester)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsympleJester @ Nov 4 2012, 04:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2010333"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thats what we are saying.
    We are saying that the aliens are Imbalanced because Comm dropped Onos is OVER powered and everything else is UNDER powered.
    We are not arguing that aliens cannot win games, but that aliens must use certain stratergies to win games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree. I don't think i've seen a single game that doesn't ride on exos or onos. I can't remember how many games I've played in which a bored well supplied commander will buy 2-3 exos or onos' for the entire team.
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    I prefer aliens as well just like I did in NS1, much more interesting styles than marines/JPer/EXO.
    <!--quoteo(post=2010342:date=Nov 4 2012, 11:42 PM:name=Blindga)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blindga @ Nov 4 2012, 11:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2010342"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree. I don't think i've seen a single game that doesn't ride on exos or onos. I can't remember how many games I've played in which a bored well supplied commander will buy 2-3 exos or onos' for the entire team.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Its not so bad with exos... but its pretty much: End game aliens should be 50/50 gorge and onos.
    Fades are useless for everything but killing rambo RT hunters/phase gaters (Not to mention onos do it better) and you only need 1 lerk to umbra/poison spam.
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    Fades are still needed to down JPers and they can be fine against Exos if it's only 1 or 2 in one location and they mess around with them from behind.

An excellent distraction while Gorges bile and Skulks zerg the welders.
    edited November 2012
    Personally the only alien I really enjoy is the Fade, just because it's the only alien that really feels unique and fun, even if it isn't always the most useful.

Onos is just W+M1. Gorge is just M2. Skulks are fun at the beginning, but quickly become frustrating when marine firepower gets overwhelming and you die nearly instantly while having to eat through more and more levels of armor. Lerk is just kind of dull, because flying through spewing farts just doesn't appeal to me that much. To be fair, I never played much Lerk in NS1 and I really don't now either.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2010356:date=Nov 4 2012, 11:48 PM:name=Onii-chan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Onii-chan @ Nov 4 2012, 11:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2010356"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fades are still needed to down JPers and they can be fine against Exos if it's only 1 or 2 in one location and they mess around with them from behind.

An excellent distraction while Gorges bile and Skulks zerg the welders.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There is a difference between <b>Needed</b> and<b> Good at</b>: takes 4 swipes (point blank range) to kill a JP marine (5-6 if he is given med and 10-12 if he is given nano-shield and med)... it takes 2 shotgun blasts to kill a fade.

<!--quoteo(post=2010358:date=Nov 4 2012, 11:50 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 4 2012, 11:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2010358"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lerk is just kind of dull, because flying through spewing farts just doesn't appeal to me that much. To be fair, I never played much Lerk in NS1 and I really don't now either.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lerk is very fun to defend a hive with, I just cant bring my self to use it most games tho due to knowing 1 shotgun blast can take away my 30 res investment.
  • AbalithAbalith Join Date: 2011-06-26 Member: 106488Members
    Much prefer Aliens myself, love playing as early game skulk.

I find in the games current state, it is simply the team with the best players that tends to win. A lot of good players seem to stick to Marines though. I suppose if you've a good comp and know what your doing, it's a lot of fun racking up that k/d count.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    aliens are great. early game skulk vs lmg is amazing if you can play skulk, lerking is not bad (although imo a little too flimsy or slow) esp once the ability upgrades come, onos is a 1 person wrecking machine.

just turned the tide in a game on refinery where marines had us locked to 2 hives (shade and shift) and had exos closing in on us, comm drops an onos egg and after losing my own onos, get in the onos egg and go 70-8, pushing the marines back across the map and winning it.

i mean, a lot of that has to do with onos being imba, but still. it's great fun, you just can't be a derptard CoD style about it.
  • HyperformsHyperforms Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166912Members
    Fades... meh. I've never seen Fades as anything more than map roamers to pick off the lone Marine or two, but a Fade that targets a Marine with a flamethrower or a grenade launcher, or a Marine healer on an Exo takes them out of a big group fight real fast if you can find a way to flank(which should be easy since you can literally fly for short periods of time). Neither one can defend themselves effectively. I haven't played with the flamethrower extensively but it doesn't seem like it does much damage to enemy players at all. While the grenade launcher hurts big time, it's really not a good idea to try and defend yourself with it... I mean they have enough trouble as it is trying not to get their grenades bouncing off of their teammates' backs. Those on welding duty have to weapon switch before they can begin to defend themselves. This all goes back to the initial idea of picking off Marines. Skulks can feasibly do this too but they don't do as much damage as a Fade.

If anything I think the Fade cost is too high compared to its role.
    edited November 2012
    By the way, my single BIGGEST annoyance with Fade (shotgun vulnerability aside) is this irritating rubberbanding that happens when you use blink near ceilings :( Makes it hard to get over marines and especially hard to get into vents. I actually didn't even think it was possible to blink into vents because of the bouncing.

SADFAEC.
    <!--quoteo(post=2010419:date=Nov 5 2012, 12:36 AM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 5 2012, 12:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2010419"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->By the way, my single BIGGEST annoyance with Fade (shotgun vulnerability aside) is this irritating rubberbanding that happens when you use blink near ceilings :( Makes it hard to get over marines and especially hard to get into vents. I actually didn't even think it was possible to blink into vents because of the bouncing.

SADFAEC.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Its even harder when the mappers put lips on vents.... Vent between Tram and Stability in Docking is pissing impossible to blink into.... xD
  • BlaxxunBlaxxun Join Date: 2010-07-21 Member: 72632Members
    I find playing Aliens way more fun than playing Marines. While I usually switch after each round, I do not mind playing several alien rounds in a row due to players stacking the frontiersman.
    As a alien there is more change-up in your playstyle as you can go for different roles and often have to outsmart your opponent. As a marine I mostly just shoot stuff and get ridiculous KDR. Playing alien was even more interesting in NS1 since you had no alien commander and had to manage stuff like building rts, dropping upgrade-chambers and hives with your team.
  • AnsomAnsom Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166364Members
    Almost every Alien form relies on hit and run. Yet, they're playing against a team with a command structure that encourages cooperation and sticking together. Almost every Alien form relies on a melee attack and an evasive maneuver. That's more difficult to pull off than pointing and shooting. What the hell do the Aliens have to deal with multiple enemies? What the hell do Aliens have to do with the turtling?

And then, you look at the Marines. They don't have to use a melee attack and evasive movement. They can just point and shoot and mow ###### down next to an armory. If they get low on ammo or health away from home, the commander can patch 'em up in a jiffy. They have weapons like the Flamethrower, Grenade Launcher, ARCs, and Exosuits. All things that excel at sieging bases, and yet, what the hell do the Aliens have that require sieging? Whips? Hydras? Please. The Marines are the ultimate turtles, not the Aliens, and yet the Aliens have NOTHING to deal with their structures. You don't evolve into an Onos because you can, but because you <i>have to</i>, because something has to take the focus while the other gimped Aliens <i>rush a single building</i> to end the game.

Get a shotgun and some damage upgrades. Now you just have to land that one solid hit to down an Alien. Meanwhile, he's still reliant on hit and run melee swipes against a <i>mass of Marines</i> in the late game. Get a jetpack. Now every Alien is going to have a really hard time hitting you, because it's difficult enough as it is hitting a Marine jumping about on the ground. Why the hell do the Marines need this mobility? Isn't mobility supposed to be the Alien's strong point? Why can't I outrun a Marine with his sprint? Why can he spot me and be at my corner to shoot me in the back faster than I can retreat? Why do they need to jetpack about? ######.

It goes further than the Aliens simply sucking. The Marines have everything the Aliens lack <b><i>and need</i></b>, and yet for no known reason.