BETA Player Recongnition

BobSagetBobSaget Join Date: 2011-06-30 Member: 107220Members
Given that NS2 is a pretty complex game and that there are a ton of new players that no longer have rookie tags I think we should have another way to recognize experienced players.

I preordered the game 2 years ago but I either missed the black armor by a month or so or didn't have the extra cash for it at the time. Now that the game is live and most people are no longer rookies there is no way to tell that I might know a bit more about playing the game. I am not saying that I am some NS2 master. But I have logged quite a few games throughout the beta and have tried to pass on knowledge to new players however there is nothing showing that I am not someone that bought the game a couple days ago.

I think all beta testers should either get an icon next to their name or an experience player colored name to let newer players know that we aren't just pulling advice out of our ass. This could even be temporary but I think it would be very useful for the community.

Also if I was given the chance I would totally spend a few extra bucks (~$5) to get a beta tester armor. It doesn't have to be the black super beta tester armor but something else noticeable would be cool.

Comments

• Commander_GhostCommander_Ghost Join Date: 2003-05-02 Member: 15999Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2006851:date=Nov 2 2012, 12:34 PM:name=BobSaget)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BobSaget @ Nov 2 2012, 12:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2006851"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Given that NS2 is a pretty complex game and that there are a ton of new players that no longer have rookie tags I think we should have another way to recognize experienced players.

I preordered the game 2 years ago but I either missed the black armor by a month or so or didn't have the extra cash for it at the time. Now that the game is live and most people are no longer rookies there is no way to tell that I might know a bit more about playing the game. I am not saying that I am some NS2 master. But I have logged quite a few games throughout the beta and have tried to pass on knowledge to new players however there is nothing showing that I am not someone that bought the game a couple days ago.

I think all beta testers should either get an icon next to their name or an experience player colored name to let newer players know that we aren't just pulling advice out of our ass. This could even be temporary but I think it would be very useful for the community.

Also if I was given the chance I would totally spend a few extra bucks (~$5) to get a beta tester armor. It doesn't have to be the black super beta tester armor but something else noticeable would be cool.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Definately no to this. It this sounds like the original vets program for NS1 please dont do this as in my opinion it only encourages elitism.

G
  • BobSagetBobSaget Join Date: 2011-06-30 Member: 107220Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2006859:date=Nov 2 2012, 11:40 AM:name=Commander_Ghost)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Commander_Ghost @ Nov 2 2012, 11:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2006859"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Definately no to this. It this sounds like the original vets program for NS1 please dont do this as in my opinion it only encourages elitism.

G<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Then make it temporary (as I mentioned) for 2 or so months while new players learn.

Its very annoying to be ignored when your comm starts turret spamming before making an arms lab and ruins the match for all marines.
  • DvdRomDvdRom Join Date: 2007-10-13 Member: 62622Members
    i pre-ordered the Special Edition 2009, but i never played NS2 until release, so i'm a rookie with a Black Armor.
    Why should someone listen to my advice?
  • ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
    Even if you had a tag saying you are a pro player and qualified NS2 consultant it wouldnt make players take your advise, if they werent listening now.

You simply dish out the advise and let the players do as they will with it, no need for special recognition....

lol , I am a bit like DvdRom there... have a black armor but rookies skills (played too much during the 156 build, burnt out).
  • includeinclude aka RpTheHotrod Dallas, TX Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12027Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2006859:date=Nov 2 2012, 12:40 PM:name=Commander_Ghost)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Commander_Ghost @ Nov 2 2012, 12:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2006859"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Definately no to this. It this sounds like the original vets program for NS1 please dont do this as in my opinion it only encourages elitism.

G<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I remember the vets program. My clan was one of the first to receive it. It certainly got messy. Technically, there is black armor for pre-orders which came with beta access...
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2006851:date=Nov 2 2012, 12:34 PM:name=BobSaget)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BobSaget @ Nov 2 2012, 12:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2006851"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Given that NS2 is a pretty complex game and that there are a ton of new players that no longer have rookie tags I think we should have another way to recognize experienced players.

Also if I was given the chance I would totally spend a few extra bucks (~$5) to get a beta tester armor. It doesn't have to be the black super beta tester armor but something else noticeable would be cool.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    We have this. Their names aren't green. You don't need further in game differentiation than that.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    It'd be awesome if we could get some kind of "I'm so special" greek beta letter icon like the PAX icon next to our names ;-) .

(or actual armor decals, when they're implemented)
    I thought it was a good idea when I thought of it. I see now that it is flawed.

Basically I was looking for 2 things.
    1. I have really been trying to help out new players but a lot completly ignore you. Also I don't know if I am giving advice to someone that is more knowledgeable than me. I would feel a lot better if a beta tester was in the comm chair and let him do his thing.
    2. I played a decent chunk during the beta test and spent time to write bug reports for a period of that and am a little sad there is nothing showing that.

<!--quoteo(post=2006878:date=Nov 2 2012, 11:56 AM:name=ASnogarD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ASnogarD @ Nov 2 2012, 11:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2006878"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->lol , I am a bit like DvdRom there... have a black armor but rookies skills (played too much during the 156 build, burnt out).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I haven't played too much that last few months and there was a bit of a learning curve to learn all the changes but I still feel like I understand the basic game play decently well. Never said I was amazing but I can at least let them know that aliens prob want to build a second hive pretty soon and marines need upgrades which seems to be the basic knowledge that a lot of new players seem to lack.

Also when I ask a question about some change I have no idea if the person answering has been playing for 2 days or 2 years.

<!--quoteo(post=2006881:date=Nov 2 2012, 11:56 AM:name=include)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (include @ Nov 2 2012, 11:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2006881"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I remember the vets program. My clan was one of the first to receive it. It certainly got messy. Technically, there is black armor for pre-orders which came with beta access...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I wasn't aware of this system in NS. Then again I didn't play a ton of NS.

<!--quoteo(post=2006882:date=Nov 2 2012, 11:57 AM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Nov 2 2012, 11:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2006882"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We have this. Their names aren't green. You don't need further in game differentiation than that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Most people have played > 4 hours and no longer have the green name tag (at least I think that is the time frame required).
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    edited November 2012
    Should have just added [Helper] before your name and actually GIVE OUT sound advice.
    That along with your absurd K:D ratio and people will know your know what your talking about.

(I removed the helper tag after the first 10 hours post launch, most people know what they are doing now)

I have been accepted by most rookies as giving sound advice because what I have told them has actually been useful to them, you don't need a special tag to show you know what your talking about... If you actually know what you are talking about... xD

Also ... you really shouldn't be giving advice out if you: "don't know if they are more experienced as you".
    It gets really annoying if you are the comm and people are telling you step by step what to do...

I usually just give advice when I see people doing something "noobish"...
    (skulks not using walls/jump/upgrades eccetera)
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    All beta testers should have the deluxe armor, which is basically a beta player recognition.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2006903:date=Nov 2 2012, 12:15 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Nov 2 2012, 12:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2006903"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->All beta testers should have the deluxe armor, which is basically a beta player recognition.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

All players have this now since there was the crashing bug in the initial build I thought?

Edit: And all preorders got it as well.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2006903:date=Nov 2 2012, 12:15 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Nov 2 2012, 12:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2006903"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->All beta testers should have the deluxe armor, which is basically a beta player recognition.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not recognizable; anyone who has the deluxe edition has the deluxe armor, even if they order it today or in the future.

Add moar icon please, and then the pax people will have 2 icons XD. Yolo.

P.S. /sarcasm off, I am really against such "recognition" systems though. It tends to piss more people off than make people really happy, and separates people into "classes" artificially, just because someone wasn't playing/online/didn't know about the game at "x" time, whereas someone else did.

Black armor and pax icons already do this though, so unfortunately the system is there already. I'm not sure what to make of it, because it's a classic RPG/F2P promo-type thing, it has no place in a buy-once FPS, and it promotes things like farming promos and then reselling X months/years later for profit. Someone already has a thread about buying black armor. If the system is expanded with more decals/armors/promos, there'll just be more of that.
  • includeinclude aka RpTheHotrod Dallas, TX Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12027Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2006898:date=Nov 2 2012, 01:10 PM:name=BobSaget)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BobSaget @ Nov 2 2012, 01:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2006898"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wasn't aware of this system in NS. Then again I didn't play a ton of NS.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Those who proved themselves in the competitive scene earned a special ingame gold icon. These players were called "Veterans". Typically these were competition winners and such. Eventually it was no longer strictly a high-competitive reward and it eventually started being handed out like candy and lost its meaning. Additionally, people with these "golden" icons ingame often treated other people as if they were beneath them (elitism).

Eventually the system was scrapped.

Anyway, that's that yellow/gold icon you see in some people's signatures.
  • mushookeesmushookees Join Date: 2008-03-26 Member: 63967Members
    no, this would fuel the digusting elitist behavior
  • PoNeHPoNeH Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58801Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    edited November 2012
    Why don't we do the opposite. We could put a Star of David on the arm armors of all Rookie players?!

/SARCASM/
  • antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
  • rhombusrhombus Lerk Queen Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106055Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Needs a new alien skin. Forget Marines.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you think this causes elitism, remove the black armor from the game. These elitist ###### man, everyday I see them bragging about their black armor in the server, and how newbish the other beta players are for not having one. Every single day in every single server...

Oh no wait, they don't. The elisitim argument is stupid and only really affects, if at all, some select people. If you still think this will happen, play some TF2. In over 1000 hours of playing tf2 I have never seen a single person bragging about their plantium medal cause they were in the beta or gold medal because they've been playing since the first day tf2 was out.

I don't see the problem adding something non-intrusive like an icon. Seen the PAX icons?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2007067:date=Nov 2 2012, 07:55 PM:name=SabaHell)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SabaHell @ Nov 2 2012, 07:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2007067"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Needs a new alien skin. Forget Marines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Indeed!
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2006862:date=Nov 2 2012, 12:43 PM:name=BobSaget)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BobSaget @ Nov 2 2012, 12:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2006862"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Then make it temporary (as I mentioned) for 2 or so months while new players learn.

Its very annoying to be ignored when your comm starts turret spamming before making an arms lab and ruins the match for all marines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Explain the game and why things need to be done then, rather than pointing at a 'badge' that proclaims your elitism.

People will identify you as a beta player if you sound like you know what you are doing.