Really want to say thanks to the newbies (seriously)

Fat_Man_Little_CoatFat_Man_Little_Coat Join Date: 2003-12-02 Member: 23857Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Impressed with the enthusiasm of the new members of our community.</div>I've been really invigorated by how many of the newer members of the NS2 community have been really open to listening on how to play the game. The best part is having a new player with a jaded attitude "getting it" and then you can genuinely see/hear/feel their surprise and curiosity for what else the game holds.

As a sometimes jaded gamer I know the value of something new in a genre that is stagnant with repetitive titles from "AAA" publishing houses, and the repeated disappointment I've felt from these companies and their lack of innovation. So I'm really thrilled on a deep level when I see the new players experiencing that moment in game where they realize how much pride, passion and creativity has been invested in this title by playing the game itself and how unique this community and game is.

Granted, I often here the complaints as well, but being fortunate enough to have played this game, and confident that I know it really well, I try to explain or show them how they're not seeing the full picture yet. And the response? Overwhelmingly positive, once explained its a quick 180 from confused or lost, to a quick "Oh, I'm starting to get it" lightbulb in their head moment.

So with that, I want to say thanks. I've raged as a com plenty of times, but it's largely to people being asinine or just jerks, but with this recent launch I've had none of that. Everyone has had a great attitude and really open minds. Even the jaded doubters are coming around in certain games I've played, and frankly, I'm overjoyed at that.

Please, please if you ever see me in game, let me know if you have any questions, I've logged over 600 hours(yikes) in this game, and there's nothing more satisfying for me to watch or hear someone feel that initial passion and joy of winning a game with a complete stranger by using communication, teamwork and just respecting their fellow teammates to achieve a common goal as a group.

Thanks for expanding an already great community, and keep it up!

Comments

• SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    FatMan, thank YOU for being such an awesome player! At this point, I really think it's people like you that will make this game successful. The game is not dumbed down, so it takes effort to learn. And the best way for rookies to learn is to learn from vets like you! And when they get better, we'll all have more people to play with and we all win.

Cheers mate, and thanks for all the effort!

--Steve
  • InkInk Join Date: 2009-08-15 Member: 68499Members
    Anytime I play and its a new com, I always see more people explaining to the guy nicely that you shouldnt just jump right in and that you should play locally and read all the tech and maybe check out a guide, and I almost never see someone raging, and when you do, they are usually just ignored completely.

I play a lot of Dota 2 and as soon as someone even asks a simple question, they get flamed by everyone, yelled at, and reported, its refreshing to see the exact opposite.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Really well written post, and great sentiments behind it. It makes us very proud to have a community like this, filled with so many members willing and eager to help new players.

--Cory
  • GlassesGlasses Join Date: 2010-01-11 Member: 70056Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    edited November 2012
    I'm surprised how many rookies actually listen advices from vets. Most other games I have played I usually get "stfu" as a respond when I try to give them an advice.
  • HeymanHeyman Join Date: 2005-03-29 Member: 46895Members
    edited November 2012
    I had a pretty awesome round as the Alien commander on Veil.

A couple of games beforehand, I managed to get half the marine team into Double and explained it's importance. I also got him a forward observatory.
    We kicked ass, and did it again the next game.

So I decided to unstack Marines and go Aliens.

We got pipeline. I jump into the hive, and we fight for 5 minutes over double, with the marines eventually conquering it. So we're forced into the early two-hive 3 harvester set-up. Except I'm leading a team of rookies. We kept losing C-12, and they even managed to push into Pipeline and kill that Res node too. Another veteran and I started explaining skulk mechanics.

I thought we were down for the count, but then leap had finally gone up and we regained lost ground, and some gorges even helped fortify C-12.
    From then on, we somehow managed to stop every Marine push into our hives. Everytime something new came up, we started explaining the proper gameplay. When exosuits appeared, I explained that skulks and gorge bilebomb can beat them. When the team managed to spread the marines defending res nodes, I organized a wave of fades and instructed them on proper guerilla tactics and movement tricks. We even managed to get the subsector hive built by some miracle, and I got an onos and stomp up.

...then I had to go to work. =(
  • xLithxLith Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165969Members
    Thanks for a post like this. I never played NS1 but played Gloom heavily when Quake2 was big so I get the concept. There have been plenty of immature "vets" playing on my server though and like to jump people in voice chat for not playing properly. They're promptly removed though.
  • wanniewannie Join Date: 2012-07-28 Member: 154405Members
    I love to help out the newbs, only had 1 stfu moment, but you cant win um all!

The community even after release is still super! And the newbie function does help loads as they then ask more (knowing people can see they are new) so kados to the dev team!
  • FunkyFungusFunkyFungus Join Date: 2003-09-09 Member: 20691Members
    <3 warming fatman :)
  • ZirkusZirkus Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165976Members
    Want to say thanks to the vets that i see jumping in to comm for teams full of new people. It literally makes it feel like a different game when the comm is very interactive with the players. Thanks being said to the vets, i also have to give it up to the new people who are really trying to learn to command well as i know that is some stress that i could not handle. Vibe from the community so far has been awesome and the bm has been super low and i look forward to spending much of my spare time in this game.
  • PurgatusPurgatus Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165982Members
    As a new player, I have been absolutely blown away with how open and friendly the community has been. I constantly see veterans allowing new players to step into the command chair and help them get a feel for it. Or veteran commanders clearly telling new players whet needs to be done without hostility. Its so very refreshing (especially since the last game I got into was DOTA 2)

I've finally found a thinking mans FPS with a great community......now to convince my friends to play!
  • RerezRerez Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165940Members
    I did play the older game quite a bit, so when the new one came out I found my way pretty fast. I have played on a few servers and was really surprised by how welcoming and kind all the players are. I have not heard one person freak out or complain about anything in game. It's like this game just brings out the good in everyone.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    Uh Rerez, i watched your review yesterday, realy great job!
  • DamDSxDamDSx Join Date: 2004-08-10 Member: 30506Members
    The thing is, people come into games like this (new, innovative) with a totally different mindset than they do on other AAA games. They know this isnt your average "point, shoot, reward" game and are more careful in what they do and more open to being adviced. They suddenly turn from a lifeless, mouse clicking bot playing CoD to an information absorbing sponge.

It is up to the guy that have been around for a while to take this opportunity and help these guys. Ive been following developement since it started, and having played NS1 for a long, long time I kind of have a better idea of what goes on, but most people doesnt (for example, today I was raging in chat because I kept pressing Q to switch to bite after parasite and I kept dying, old habits die hard...) so please, please, 5 minutes 1 person spends explaining something to a new comer, transtales into hours of better gameplay in years to come.

Even I, who thought I knew it all, was told how to use an onos in this new NS2.

I was running in and chasing marines, trying to take out vital structures (arms lab, armory, etc, as you would do in NS1) and the other onos in my team told me to go with him straight to the power node, that the marines had no firepower to take down 2 onos and that we were able to take down the power node before dying. That was an incredible eye opener, I suddenly went from thinking I knew how to play (or had an idea) to being a complete noob. it was awesome, it was rewarding, it was a feeling of accomplishment and knowing I had learned something new made that game so much better.

Im done rambling, go on people.
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I've had the same experience. The new players so far have been really eager to figure out what's going on and have really soaked it up. I love listening to people experiencing this stuff for the first time! I was comming on veil and we were trying to hold nano. One of the players kept saying "I can hear them! I can hear them in the walls!" Really added some tension for the players for whom this isn't old hat.

One thing I've found though, not enough players have mics and not enough players are using them. That's the biggest thing I'd like to try to encourage even beyond knowledge of the game, is for more people to talk.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Had some nice games with new people today. They learn fast and play together alot (even as skulks!). They just need some more practise with hitting and moving, but one can notice the difference to 2 days ago.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    The community has really rallied together. Great work everyone! And newbies; if you see a Black Armor person, chances are you'll be able to ask them questions :)
  • [NoiseX][NoiseX] Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165207Members
    edited November 2012
    I'm a newbie and I love this game. I've searched for a real team game like this for a very long time, so when I played several matches with a vet comm (or simple vet on mic) telling me what I had to do and explaining stuff I really enjoyed it. It would be perfect if there were servers for vet but rookie friendly, because when there are no experienced players (willing to help/coordinate) the game is not very entertaining.
  • bLink`bLink` Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146506Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    For new players, you guys should check out www.twitch.tv/l2pns2 sometimes when he's streaming :)
    He usually streams and explain the gameplay of ns2.
  • SumpfkrautSumpfkraut Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166100Members
    edited November 2012
    I have to say I enjoy playing with the people I've met. So far I've only encountered one moment of open hostility and that was actually me being angry at our alien com having apparently gone afk without stepping out of the hive, and none of us thought of the eject option~

Also thanks to the NS2HD guy, watching his alien com gameplay actually made me feel comfortable enough to give it a try on my first day, and it worked much better than expected, though I do need to start using a mic.
  • BeelzebudBeelzebud Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166165Members
    Last night I finally saw what this game is all about. I was on one of the official servers, playing as alien, with the most amazing commander I've encountered yet. Unfortunately in my excitement about the game I never caught his entire handle, or which server it was on.

So if a guy who commanded aliens last night and had "Bubba" in his name is reading this: Thank you for totally selling me on this game, and showing just how much fun can be had in it. The guy was patient, knowledgeable, and very instructive. Never once lost his cool, and lead us to a few victories. It was the best time I've had in the game, and the most fun I've had playing aliens. I learned more about the game in the two hours I played with that team than the previous 8. I was willing to listen, and people were willing to give advice. It was glorious. I had the most fun just playing the space cow, and healing the big guys. The commander was great, and the veteran team mates were all very friendly and informative.

I wish I could have added the server as a favorite, but I wasn't paying attention to which one I joined.

After that experience I'm totally sold on this, and recommend it my friends. It's the best shooter I've played online in years.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am really loving how many players are playing in genral. There's no shortage of servers on NS2 which have playes playing, and as for the new people, they seem to be picking up on how to play quicker then i had thought
  • Katana314Katana314 Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166379Members
    I'm actually completely new to NS2, and had several weekends of exposure to NS1, but in some ways I still feel like I'm not quite as much of a newbie as lots of other players out there.

Still, there was one time I overheard someone mention "Jesus christ, our team is full of noobs." (which was probably true). I immediately called him out for being so rude, and others chimed in with me. A minute or two later, that guy left, and I think I'd be very happy to see much more 'rejection' of people who are adverse to new players. That adversity to newbies is the sort of mindset that has ruined games like DOTA 2 and League of Legends, which ironically are also very team-based and difficult.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2008440:date=Nov 3 2012, 07:02 PM:name=Katana314)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Katana314 @ Nov 3 2012, 07:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008440"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm actually completely new to NS2, and had several weekends of exposure to NS1, but in some ways I still feel like I'm not quite as much of a newbie as lots of other players out there.

Still, there was one time I overheard someone mention "Jesus christ, our team is full of noobs." (which was probably true). I immediately called him out for being so rude, and others chimed in with me. A minute or two later, that guy left, and I think I'd be very happy to see much more 'rejection' of people who are adverse to new players. That adversity to newbies is the sort of mindset that has ruined games like DOTA 2 and League of Legends, which ironically are also very team-based and difficult.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The NS2 community in genral is normally very welcoming to new players and a lot do try to help them out, but as in every community there is always those exceptions