DX redist/Physx Redist

InertiamanInertiaman Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165028Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Server Install Question</div>Afternoon folks,

It's been quite a whilst since I put any servers up but then again it's been quite a whilst since there's been anything worth playing ;)

Working down and planning around the wiki at the moment;

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Dedicated_Server#Install_via_SteamCmd" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/inde...ll_via_SteamCmd</a>

I cannot see any reference to the redist packages after the initial mention - what do I do with the unpacked files? I may not know some implicit info here or I may simply be blind as a bat.

Any info appreciated!

[FSA]Inertia

Comments

• InertiamanInertiaman Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165028Members
    Oh other info that may or may not be pertinent;

MS Server 2008 R2 Enterprise
    Dual Xeon E5-xxxx (am aware of the multi CPU issues but you work with what you got!)
    SAS array
    10mbit syncronous direct peer
  • WhosatWhosat Singapore Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58301Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Cheers for the response;

Install them - I did! - and on the physx one that's fine - it installs and registers itself so I presume it can be called upon in a known path, but the dx redist allows for completely custom paths with no default required and doesn't appear to add itself to the registry in any form, leaving a pile of files that get accessed....how?

So ok - I've installed and that's all good (servers appear to be operating), what gets referenced in the dx redist by server.exe and how?

Confused!

:)
    Aha I found the fail and it's all mine - the install wasn't actually completing correctly due to some explicit permissions across program files x86. rejigged and reinstalled and I see a complete install.
  • WhosatWhosat Singapore Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58301Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Cheers! Hope all goes well :)

You can post up your server specs here for some advise on the player count you should be holding :)
    2x Xeon E5-2450L, 24GB, 3x10kSAS in raid 5 on 100mbit synchronous. Only aiming for the the one, competitive NS2 server really and will probably cap at 10v10.

Advice in advance on bandwidth requirements appreciated - I'll be partitioning this server off once I establish requirements.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Here's the network info I've recorded (four full 20player servers)
    Network:
    <u>All Four Servers</u>
    DL Rate = 232 KB/s
    UL Rate = 696 KB/s
    DL Vol = 815 MB/hr
    UL Vol = 2447 MB/hr
    <u>Per Server</u>
    DL Rate = 58 KB/s
    UL Rate = 174 KB/s
    DL Vol = 204 MB/hr
    UL Vol = 612 MB/hr

Also, if I'm reading that correct, your CPU has a max turbo of only 2.3GHz. I will note that most smooth running 16-20 player servers are using high powered 3.4GHz+ Xeon/i5/i7 hardware. I don't think that setup will be able to handle more than 3v3 or 4v4 smoothly.
    Per processor and no multicore support? That's pretty intensive...

Hokay. Will have a play. If I can't get an 8v8 public up on spare kit I guess it's a rental job!