Why is the commander role so hard?

ForssForss Join Date: 2011-10-30 Member: 130180Members
<div class="IPBDescription">make it easier...</div>So I played alien commander for the first time and I had a real hard time with the upgrades. Why can't you see what upgrades you have like in the spectator mode? Why is it so hard to see what building you have and scroll trough them? I lost track of where I built the upgrade buildings and what upgrades I had already researched all the time. Often when I clicked on the building they seemed to automatically start upgrading something, I've no idea why or how that works since you can't see what you're researching while you're doing it.

The commander UI needs a serious overhaul with upgrade trees, queue upgrades on unbuilt structures etc. I thought the commander positions had a step learning curve because of the game mechanics but after trying it I can safely say that the main reason is the sub par UI. Take some hints from your own spectator mode.

Comments

• ChadwichChadwich Join Date: 2011-09-30 Member: 124817Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I'd agree with this. There has to be an easier way to keep track of buildings and upgrades. It can be confusing and frustrating to have to navigate back to them and click on the right building with everything else going on.
  • AdavaAdava Join Date: 2010-11-21 Member: 75128Members
    Was just going to write this. Agree.
  • Squirreli_Squirreli_ Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151046Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The commander UI can be really frustrating and needs still some more work. It does its job but just barely. I think it was one of the things that UWE just didn't find time to improve and I hope it will be re-worked in the near future :(
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    the role is fine, just change the icons as everything is greyed out. the old icons were fine from the beta, no idea why things were changed.
  • JowJow Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106032Members
    If they add in control groups that would solve a few of these issues I think.
  • Skyforger2Skyforger2 Join Date: 2007-10-19 Member: 62681Members
    Im sorry in advance but, i knew i knew stupid newbs will be spaming forum how hard or bad it is.
    It's easy ! to easy i want it more difficult.

We had to learn it, so all the new ppl can learn it to and stop whining go play COD.
  • A[L]CA[L]C Join Date: 2010-07-25 Member: 72801Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2002517:date=Oct 31 2012, 01:45 PM:name=Jow)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jow @ Oct 31 2012, 01:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2002517"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If they add in control groups that would solve a few of these issues I think.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Select....CTRL + number.... I think that's what you are referring to?
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    UI, pathing, responsive needs a complete rework alright, but it is not hard. You have handful of upgrades, no need to micro and there is not enough stuff to keep you occupied on the alien side so you'll end up jumping in and out anyway.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2002518:date=Oct 31 2012, 11:47 PM:name=Skyforger2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skyforger2 @ Oct 31 2012, 11:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2002518"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Im sorry in advance but, i knew i knew stupid newbs will be spaming forum how hard or bad it is.
    It's easy ! to easy i want it more difficult.

We had to learn it, so all the new ppl can learn it to and stop whining go play COD.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    what?

The ui is not terribly good and the op has legitimate points.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    ive played thru about 100 builds...
    im confused about recent builds too where everytime i click on something, something automatically starts upgrading :(
  • SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    Yeah, there's not a whole lot of work to do as an alien commander. You can only have two evolvable upgrades per hive, and approximately one upgrade per class after you get a second and a third hive. Once you get a little bit familiar with the game it should be easy to remember these.

I don't want a large panel that shows all the upgrades in the alien commander view all the time, but it could be something that slides out of the side when you click or hover over a tab. Same for marines.

I think there was an option in the options that you can turn off, so you don't see the upgrade hints on top of buildings as commander.

Finally, the commander is the cornerstone of a team. UI issues aside, it's not a role you can do by just waving your arms or shrugging if the teams are otherwise equal. It's not just about building upgrades or structures here and there, you should also lead the team.
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2002525:date=Oct 31 2012, 08:55 AM:name=ogz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ogz @ Oct 31 2012, 08:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2002525"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ive played thru about 100 builds...
    im confused about recent builds too where everytime i click on something, something automatically starts upgrading :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    They recently added upgrade shortcuts that display right next to or on top of the upgrade structure itself. They're partially transparent though, so its easy to accidentally click on then when you're tring to click on the structure. You can turn them off in the options.
  • Some_tall_guySome_tall_guy Join Date: 2002-08-12 Member: 1139Members
    While I can understand the UI making things difficult in its current form, commanding in general (especially as marines) is a very stressful job, but can yield the most reward and praise from your team if you do a good job.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2012
    UI is not perfect yes. The best way to deal with it right now is remember where you put your upgrade chambers, and ask your team what upgrades you're missing if you forget.

I'm sure the UI will be improved eventually, on both sides. Feedback's been given about this for a while now during the beta...
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    The Alien Comm UI does need some extras like that, it's often mid-combat hard to remember what upgrade and backup upgrades you have, or when you lose upgrades as commander. Hopefully this will be worked on post 1.0 :)
  • nSidianSidia Join Date: 2012-08-15 Member: 155651Members
    there used to be icons on the right hand side showing what hive and upgrades you had. idk where thos went.
  • DustehDusteh Join Date: 2011-07-25 Member: 112142Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Why is the commander role so hard? I think you answered that in your opening line. You're new to the game and its like anything, the more practice and the better understanding of the game you have the better you'll get. NS2 isn't one of those games that you'll instantly become great at, there's a lot to learn!
  • Andrew_e1Andrew_e1 Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33331Members, Constellation
    Yeah I agree. I've been playing NS since 2003 and back then I NEVER commanded a real game. It was just not my thing...

Since the NS2 beta became available I also didn't try commander. However, yesterday... I was in a server full of rookies and asked if somebody had comm experience on the alien side. Everyone said no so I decided to hop in the hive and try to comm.....and boy did I have a really hard time. We lost....lol
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    The commander UI definitely needs work for both teams. It just doesn't have the same level of polish that the ground game has been getting over the past few weeks/months with helper prompts and whatnot.
  • unkindunkind Join Date: 2012-02-04 Member: 143563Members
    it still takes 1 or 2 games to learn lol, o no
  • MunchySnacks1MunchySnacks1 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164609Members
    edited October 2012
    I suggest everyone takes the time to do the explore mode training mode what ever they are calling it this build to get to know your tech trees and structures before commanding. I also highly recommend turning off the hints and tips or whatever for the commander as the OP said you just end up clicking upgrades you didn't really want because you where trying to click the structure. The commander role isn't that hard once you get the (to be honest rather simple) tech tree of the team you are playing. My best suggestion if you really do want to COM (and yes it is hard it is supposed to be 1 person out of 5-11 does it) is to get the tech tree memorized and watch some of the tourneys to learn what some good structure placements are and tech paths. After you have played for awhile you will just get used to it all and the alerts make sure you don't miss anything dieing.
  • PueidistPueidist Join Date: 2007-04-18 Member: 60665Members
    just send alien kommander to the recycle bin it's a boring gimmick mechanic to try and force symmetry