What Major Change Would You Make To Aliens ?

TimmahIsASaintTimmahIsASaint Join Date: 2012-09-24 Member: 160678Members
In response to SabaHell's very well said arguement
"Even the team cooldowns are severely screwed up. Aliens are melee and rely on mobility, yet Marines have more mobility enhancing tech / abilities than aliens do (PG/beacon/etc).. Aliens need to close gaps and engage in melee, yet one of their Commander cooldowns is just a wall. It's incredibly nonsense that Marines are so much more mobile than Aliens are especially in smaller maps such as summit. These abilities should be a necessity in order to keep Marine expansion going (like PG tech on docking) rather than a huge perk to playing on that team. There is a lot of things that need to be addressed to be very honest and it feels like the wrong tweaks are being made to move things in the right direction."

I'm talking strategically, mechanically anything you write it and I'd love to read it. I've heard tons of great ideas from other forum members including:

-Nydus like structure for teleporting alien units
-Additional life forms / upgrades with structures
-Changes to alien life forms movement on creep
-The effect of creep on marines movement capabilities

I think we can all agree the current state of the Aliens is not nearly as fun as marines and strategicaly icnredibly underwhelming. So share what you would change and maybe UWE will take some of our ideas and put a new spark into Alien Play ! I also just love reading peoples unique ideas! ^.^ So if you wouldn't mind sharing what you would do to make Aliens a more fun and strategically different race I'd like to read it ! :D

Comments

• ScubboScubbo Join Date: 2012-10-03 Member: 161364Members
    I'd just like some crowed controll weapons / splash weapons which hurt lifeforms, so we have a counter to grenade spam and are able to stop marines from grouping up in a small corridor and turtling until the tanks come in and blow the hive away...
  • KopikatKopikat Join Date: 2012-09-06 Member: 158170Members
    edited October 2012
    Make Marines the melee faction and make Aliens the ranged faction.

Then Marines can get things like plasma chainsaws, useful flamethrowers, and RPBGs (Rocket-Propelled Boxing Gloves) while Aliens get little mini-AK47's and headbands.

Spec Ops Gorge gets concussion grenades and akimbo deagles.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    edited October 2012
    This entire forum is what people would change on Aliens or Marines. UWE browses the forums every day keeping up to touch with our feedback, and we've been making many of these suggestions for months or years. The issue is not the Team seeing our ideas.

Also, all of those are bad suggestions, OP.
  • TimmahIsASaintTimmahIsASaint Join Date: 2012-09-24 Member: 160678Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1999357:date=Oct 28 2012, 07:28 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Oct 28 2012, 07:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999357"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, all of those are bad suggestions, OP.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Good thing you put out so many great ones. ;)
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1999361:date=Oct 28 2012, 09:33 PM:name=TimmahIsASaint)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimmahIsASaint @ Oct 28 2012, 09:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999361"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Good thing you put out so many great ones. ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I like to think of my ideas as "tenable" more than great. Maybe some mod-maker will take an interest in some of them down the line and I'll get to see them in NS2B.
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    edited October 2012
    These are some of the things i think need to be addressed either way.

i would like alien movement more responsive and quicker with celerity not fading in combat and blurring vision, why must all upgrades have a side effect, not really an upgrade then is it. This is one reason aliens dont scale aswell as marines. Their upgrades are nerfed. does energy regen slower with alien vision on still? remove that too.

phase and jp's 2 cc, (i think this is already the case) Marines are more mobile then aliens.....
    exo, w3/a3, arcs 3 cc

Aliens not so reliant on 2nd hive. marines can turtle for 10+mins on 1 cc. aliens can turtle for +0mins on 1 hive. how many times have marines destroyed 2nd hive then steam rolled to kill 1st hive in less then 1mins. Good luck trying that against marines.

Aliens upgrades need to be researched constantly if chambers been killed. Marines do not suffer this problem.

aliens defensive structures more useful. hydras, whips need to be better.

ranged spores, like umbra but spores

allow life forms to bite dropped weapons to prevent recycling.

remove sprint from marines.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    First person commanding mode in which you could go into a spectator-like view but are able to do everything as the comm (research tech, drop structures, give orders). In particular, I think this would allow unique wall and ceiling structure placement and give much more depth to alien comm.
  • unkindunkind Join Date: 2012-02-04 Member: 143563Members
    edited October 2012
    Grenades just need to be nerfed, if you have played any kind of game where you have to lead people you can kill people EFFORTLESSLY, in GROUPS. It's reaaaaallllly stupid. REALLY easy to spam at exos and get all kinds of kills you don't deserve, and if you die somehow you just go pick your noobcannon back up and do it again.

Grenades do 1/2 damage to players (or only remove armor or something like that). Instantly marines are far less unstoppable.

Give fades a bit more health. Make spores ranged. Make Parasite hitscan so it isn't retarded and randomly missing for no reason.

game balanced.

Also marine movement is instant, alien movement is DELAYED, like left and right, alien stops and slows down to move, marine is instant. This is retarded, if anything it should be the other way around, i'd prefer both instant though.
    <!--quoteo(post=1999404:date=Oct 28 2012, 08:16 PM:name=unkind)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (unkind @ Oct 28 2012, 08:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999404"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Grenades just need to be nerfed, if you have played any kind of game where you have to lead people you can kill people EFFORTLESSLY, in GROUPS. It's reaaaaallllly stupid. REALLY easy to spam at exos and get all kinds of kills you don't deserve, and if you die somehow you just go pick your noobcannon back up and do it again.

Grenades do 1/2 damage to players (or only remove armor or something like that). Instantly marines are far less unstoppable.

Give fades a bit more health. Make spores ranged. Make Parasite hitscan so it isn't retarded and randomly missing for no reason.

game balanced.

Also marine movement is instant, alien movement is DELAYED, like left and right, alien stops and slows down to move, marine is instant. This is retarded, if anything it should be the other way around, i'd prefer both instant though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree.

I also believe Marines movement needs to see a nerf. I think they should remove the sprint function and possibly slow the refresh on jump so they can't do ridiculous quick jumps. Honestly when I play as a marine I feel like I have more movement control then Skulks. And last I think marine movement on infestation should be slowed and definitely not allowed to sprint on it. I mean come on guys, its supposedly a gooey mud like substance, please tell me how they can hop around on it like little bunnies ?
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1999393:date=Oct 29 2012, 01:02 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Oct 29 2012, 01:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999393"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->First person commanding mode in which you could go into a spectator-like view but are able to do everything as the comm (research tech, drop structures, give orders). In particular, I think this would allow unique wall and ceiling structure placement and give much more depth to alien comm.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thats an interesting idea.
  • KovenKoven Join Date: 2007-04-20 Member: 60677Members, Constellation
    1. Remove wall jump and put bunnyhop back in.

2. Res for kill.

3. Hive teleportation.
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1999447:date=Oct 29 2012, 02:41 PM:name=Koven)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koven @ Oct 29 2012, 02:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999447"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1. Remove wall jump and put bunnyhop back in.
    2. Res for kill.
    3. Hive teleportation.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Please marry me

also make skulks smaller and quicker and give gorges more things to build
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    A new structure that allows Aliens to upgrade armor (carapace) and speed (celerity) similar to Marine's arms lab.

Crag tech would need a just new upgrade.

-Focus upgrade back.
    -Ranged spores and primal scream on lerk.
    -Acid Rocket and/or Metabolize on fades.
    -Blink on one hive for fades.
    -Bone armor for onos.
  • voogruvoogru Naturally Modified (ex. NS programmer) Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1827Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    edited October 2012
    I was thinking of maybe adding a Scorpion class, that hovars without flapping.

No, seriously.

(Oh, hai guys)
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1999393:date=Oct 28 2012, 11:02 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Oct 28 2012, 11:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999393"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->First person commanding mode in which you could go into a spectator-like view but are able to do everything as the comm (research tech, drop structures, give orders). In particular, I think this would allow unique wall and ceiling structure placement and give much more depth to alien comm.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Zombie Master Mod had that quasi-spectator mode commanding. It was sooo fun.

Most of my suggestions would stem from better movement response, like with what they did with Marines.

Movement is everything. Even when it comes to aiming.
  • Bad MojoBad Mojo Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67317Members
    edited October 2012
    I would like to see the roles of the Khammander and the Gorge really addressed and enhanced in what they do individually and how they work together.

<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><u>Khammander</u><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

Alien Comm role seems very limited right now, which is why we see the comms that really have a handle on things drop some stuff and jump out of the hive because they are more useful as an extra skulk or as a gorge than they are sitting in the hive waiting for structure/research completion.

Give the Khamm more abilities like <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Infestation Spikes<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> that are tied to specific hive types. There are abilities like Ink and those Decoys but does anybody even use those?

I'm suggesting abilities that function the same way as Spikes in that they can be used anywhere on Infestation, and I don't see why a tunnel to another hive would be so broken. Something that lasts ten seconds and is available when you have two hives, one of which is Shift.

Another ability would be an AOE slow, and could prove very effective against pushes and make marines vulnerable to aliens on the ground. Plus the Khamm doesn't just have to sit there and watch his hive defenses slowly be beaten to a pulp.

<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#FFFF00--><span style="color:#FFFF00"><!--/coloro--><u>Gorge</u><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

In contrast to the Khammander, the Gorge should have a more offensive role, and do a majority of the structure building. Leave the building of crags, shades, and shifts to the gorge, while the Khamm builds the upgrade structures. This is so it is the Gorge's job to build forward bases and offer direct support to pushes into marine territory and OUTSIDE of infestation. Bile Bomb is a great ability for gorges in this respect.

The last thing I would like to see is the ability of the Khammander to upgrade structures that the gorge builds, creating a dynamic of teamwork in how the aliens control the map, or defend certain points in the map perhaps.

------------------------------

As for alien upgrades, I think tying the effectiveness of each upgrade to the number of hives would help with alien lack of scaling.

Examples:

Carapace (Skulk) - 1Hive=30armor, 2Hives=40armor, 3Hives=50armor

Silence - 1Hive=silent movement, 2Hives=silent primary attack, 3Hives=all abilities silent

Adrenaline - 1Hive=+25%energy regen, 2Hives=+50%energy regen, 3Hives=150%energy capacity

Celerity - 1Hive=+20% speed, 2Hives=+35% speed, 3Hives=+10% attack speed <i>(not sure about the percentages honestly but adjust for appropriate speeds)</i>

Regeneration - 1Hive=regen as it is now, 2Hives=regen hp AND armor for each tick(or just regen 2x as fast), 3Hives=regen in combat!

EDIT:

<!--quoteo(post=1999460:date=Oct 29 2012, 12:25 AM:name=voogru)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (voogru @ Oct 29 2012, 12:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999460"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was thinking of maybe adding a Scorpion class, that hovars without flapping.

No, seriously.

(Oh, hai guys)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

OH MY GOD. The savior is here!
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    <!--sizeo:7--><span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Metabolism<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

Being a fade is 30 seconds of fighting and 3 mins of standing by a hive.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    The biggest disadvantage the Kharaa has in comparison to the Frontiersmen is that they're missing Hive Teleport.

Add that with the current egg system abuse and you have the recipe for all sorts of alien frustration.
    <!--quoteo(post=1999478:date=Oct 28 2012, 09:51 PM:name=Bad Mojo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bad Mojo @ Oct 28 2012, 09:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999478"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As for alien upgrades, I think tying the effectiveness of each upgrade to the number of hives would help with alien lack of scaling.

Examples:

Carapace (Skulk) - 1Hive=30armor, 2Hives=40armor, 3Hives=50armor

Silence - 1Hive=silent movement, 2Hives=silent primary attack, 3Hives=all abilities silent

Adrenaline - 1Hive=+25%energy regen, 2Hives=+50%energy regen, 3Hives=150%energy capacity

Celerity - 1Hive=+20% speed, 2Hives=+35% speed, 3Hives=+10% attack speed <i>(not sure about the percentages honestly but adjust for appropriate speeds)</i>

Regeneration - 1Hive=regen as it is now, 2Hives=regen hp AND armor for each tick(or just regen 2x as fast), 3Hives=regen in combat!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Can we all agree Aliens seriously need some kind of scaling whether its with multiple structures or hives or something ? Everyones crying about the 5 minute onos rush but they are ignoring the real problem. Yes EVERY pro team used it, why ? Cause its the only viable strat the aliens can do without getting rolled. If anyone wants I can link a game of Archea and Exadus where Archea lost their 7 minute onos due to a really good play on Exadus part and they straight said game. The problem isn't the 5 minute onos, the problem is Marines complete lack of strategical differentiation and honestly, fun factor.

Also,
    "Being a fade is 30 seconds of fighting and 3 mins of standing by a hive."
    That made me lol really hard because its so true.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    Gorges with the ability to create ad hoc infestation.
  • JayTacJayTac Join Date: 2012-10-02 Member: 161312Members
    I'd give them weapons so it feels like an FPS on both sides.
  • OnionknightOnionknight Join Date: 2010-03-28 Member: 71103Members
    So far the game seems a lot more balanced. Maybe.....

Lerk attacks drain less energy ( I noticed how often you run out of energy using 2 attacks and flying)
    Gl damage does more self damage and less damage
    Observatory have bigger detection range
    Flamethrowers kill structures and cysts faster. Damage per second increase badly needed. Also sets aliens on fire which slowly eats their hp as they run away ( like 3-5 a second for 7 secs or something)
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Add bunnyhop or pre build 200 wall jump.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
  • napalm_9napalm_9 Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157768Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1999393:date=Oct 29 2012, 04:02 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Oct 29 2012, 04:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999393"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->First person commanding mode in which you could go into a spectator-like view but are able to do everything as the comm (research tech, drop structures, give orders). In particular, I think this would allow unique wall and ceiling structure placement and give much more depth to alien comm.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What if you could go into first person mode in a cyst, kinda like they're your eyes on the ground, and from them you could place things ??
  • KeldornKeldorn Join Date: 2012-05-05 Member: 151587Members
    edited October 2012
    Gorges that are able to lay eggs on infestation to prevent egg-locks and promote quick blitzkrieg offensive strikes and/or the ability for gorges to revive aliens within 3 secs of them dying by healspraying them.
    edited October 2012
    3 seconds is far to quick and they would have to be reverted back to skulk, because dropping an onos is an achievement and having it pop back up again moments later isn't right and even it was revived and came back with minimal health that's what feign death is for. This was in relation to what Keldorn posted before he edited it
  • KeldornKeldorn Join Date: 2012-05-05 Member: 151587Members
    Yeah, I figured it could be a bit too OP so I removed it in my post but since you replied, I added it back in.
  • hieiwrathhieiwrath Join Date: 2012-10-29 Member: 164322Members
    How about a new alien with sinapse ability making other aliens stronger or their skills better.
    any sort of new alien would have to be tested in the beta client for months before its release so if you're willing to do that go for it