What Major Change Would You Make To Aliens ?

2»

Comments

• ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1999638:date=Oct 29 2012, 12:35 PM:name=Volcano)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Volcano @ Oct 29 2012, 12:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999638"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->3 seconds is far to quick and they would have to be reverted back to skulk, because dropping an onos is an achievement and having it pop back up again moments later isn't right and even it was revived and came back with minimal health that's what feign death is for. This was in relation to what Keldorn posted before he edited it<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

When I read this I thought "BF3 DID IT, LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME"

Then I thought "BUT I LOVE THAT ABOUT BF3"

Then I thought "BUT SOMETIMES I HATE THAT ABOUT BF3"

Yes I think in all caps.
  • piratedavepiratedave Join Date: 2012-03-10 Member: 148561Members
    introduce tiers for all abilities (lvl 1, lvl 2, lvl 3) and make all abilities at lvl1 available for research at 1 hive. To research lvl 2 abilities you need 2 hives etc.
  • AnarchyAngelAnarchyAngel Join Date: 2007-01-26 Member: 59758Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    Id like to have seen another alien class, here is a quick one I whipped up.

No Name for it as yet.

When you look directly at it you cant see it but from side on he is visable (think the robot

from Transformers 2), possible looks are octopus/spider/preying mantis like.

If he can sneak up on a marine and bite him (moves slowly) he can actually take control of

that marine taking control of him giving him the ability to disrupt marines buildings he

activates or some other disruption mechanic, maybe like the spy in tf2 that kills other

marines?

After a certain about of time he corrupts the marine and becomes and infested marine (think

one of the guys from Halo, the flood)

You could test different ways he actually becomes the marine or stays where he is and controls

the marine, does he have to gestate in the marine? and choose when to bust out of his chest?

Other moves can hold marines in place making him a Crowd controller. Or hang from the ceiling

and lift marines off the ground.

Just imagine the gameplay possiblites?

2 Hives required to evolve, Crowd control default ability and marine lift ability.

3 Hives to upgrade to be able to take host of a marine
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2012
    Off the top of my head:
    - Rework alien spawn system
    - P.res when dead brought back
    - Wall jump + simple bunnyhop mix for skulk
    - Shifts, Crags and Shades available from the start, but shift/crag/shade hive would still grant a bonus and the extra active ability to these structures
    - Removal or significant nerf of sprint for marines
    - Lerk gas to T1 again, but ranged.
    - Gorge energy costs reduced a little, (particularly belly side and heal) hydra count to 4.
    - Onos t.res egg requires mature second hive, hive maturity time increased significantly (can still use nutrient mist to speed it up)
    - Leap available at 1 mature hive at a higher cost, xenocide at 2 mature hives at a higher cost
    - Focus returns

God, there would be so much more strategic depth to alien gameplay this way. 2nd Hive could be delayed until somewhat later in the game, there would be many more strategies and structures for the alien commander to mess with from the get go, onos egg drop would come out at a time much closer to its p.res timing, hive maturity would be meaningful again, skulks would be way more competitive with marines well into the lategame, losing a second hive would not be a guaranteed GG for aliens.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    they really need to change the "egg spawning" system. the eggs shouldnt be just sitting there, they should rapidly grow until they *pop* a skulk out.
    <!--quoteo(post=1999645:date=Oct 29 2012, 05:52 AM:name=hieiwrath)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hieiwrath @ Oct 29 2012, 05:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999645"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How about a new alien with sinapse ability making other aliens stronger or their skills better.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

you mean the DRIFTER?!

-_-
  • Red DestinyRed Destiny Join Date: 2012-08-11 Member: 155428Members
    1) Give people the ability to select mutations/lifeforms WHILE waiting to spawn.

2) Do NOT send alien player back into spawn 'queue' if the egg was killed just before they hatch (honestly being spawned camped and waiting a minute since eggs keep getting killed JUST as you're about to hatch is not fun). Simply find the next available egg.

3) Make whips actually deflect grenades as opposed to simply trying to whip it, but failing almost all the time.

4) Make upgrades scaleable depending on the number of hives (Bad Mojo made some REALLY good suggestions on page 1, although his 'regeneration in combat' idea is just downright OP :D).

5) PsympleJester's request for Metabolism, because seriously, being a Fade is usually "swipe a few times, then run back to hive, or die".

6) Allow aliens to destroy dropped guns; there was a hilarious suggestion where a Gorge eats guns, and if it dies within a minute of that, it explodes and drops guns like a pinata :D

7) Make Lerk spores ranged, so it's like a ranged DoT. Grenade Launchers would not be considered OP if Lerk spores could also seige groups of marines from far away.

That's all I can think about for now.
  • Vladimir Van VodkaVladimir Van Vodka Sexy Beast Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73364Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    problem with ranged spores is that It made lerks play a different style, they just hid in vents, just gassing areas, giving aliens also a perma spam class that infuriated marines, lerks never went into combat like they do now, it's not coming back guys, sorry.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    1) I would go into the skulk code and list all the variable in a table (speed, acceleration, jump height, damage, energy stuff, timings, wall walking and wall jumping, sounds, ....).

2) Then the alien comm would have a skulk model in the hive and would be able to customize the different parts: the legs, the jaw, the ears, the eyes, etc. these modifications would be linked to the variables listed above. Modifications would cost tres and body parts. Body parts would be gained each time a dead body is eaten by a gorge.

3) Enjoy.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I would remove Carapace and incorporate some form of passive armor upgrades instead. Preferably not tied to the hive count since aliens are plenty dependent on them already.
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    we could always go back to to the old alien damage and amour system like humans have lol not
  • SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1999862:date=Oct 29 2012, 10:43 AM:name=Vladimir Van Vodka)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vladimir Van Vodka @ Oct 29 2012, 10:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999862"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->problem with ranged spores is that It made lerks play a different style, they just hid in vents, just gassing areas, giving aliens also a perma spam class that infuriated marines, lerks never went into combat like they do now, it's not coming back guys, sorry.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A lerk is about the same cost as a grenade launcher, so where's the problem there? The alien team is all melee with a few exceptions, so why not make the lerk the 'living turret'? Flying through a group of marines to lay down your AoE cloud sounds good in theory, but in practice you end up being blown up or shot to death if there's even one shotgun or GL in the group you're attacking.

In other words, why is it ok for the marines to have a perma-spam one-shot gun but not the aliens? Spores, at the very least, doesn't one shot entire groups of fully upgraded marines. (On top of the fact an armory out heals spore damage making it useless in most siege situations.) I can think of at least one gun the marines get that does. (Hint: It's the Grenade Launcher) As far as cost vs. reward goes, the GL is cheaper and more effective in every possible way except reload speed and ammo capacity. Those two issues are not mitigating factors though, since it literally only takes one grenade to kill an entire pack of skulks in an optimal situation. Lets not forget a jetpack 'nade spam setup costs the marine a grand total of five more res than it costs to do a lerk.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    Active:
    - Hive teleport
    - RFK

Passive:
    - remove marine sprint
    <!--quoteo(post=1999862:date=Oct 29 2012, 10:43 AM:name=Vladimir Van Vodka)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vladimir Van Vodka @ Oct 29 2012, 10:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999862"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->problem with ranged spores is that It made lerks play a different style, they just hid in vents, just gassing areas, giving aliens also a perma spam class that infuriated marines, lerks never went into combat like they do now, it's not coming back guys, sorry.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

that is such bs. it made lerks attack more because they could use ranged attacks and stay relevant all game (and gave players that had res but didnt know how to be a good fade and alt class to play). an endgame lerk is invaluable , umbra attacking onos as the last push on marine start was happening plus inbetween attacks lerks could spray the armory which prevented marines from humping it all game. besides, the old gas attack wasnt nearly as annoying as it is now. you could only spray one singular area unless you used more energy to spray another. now you can just glide around the room and gas the entire area, if you dont get 1 hit killed of course
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2012
    It would also allow the lerk to be faster again, but at the cost of less armour. (And no, less tankier but faster wouldn't hurt his ability to be effective with bite early on in the game) It would no longer have to fly into an entire team to cropdust. Celerity wouldn't be such a necessity any more, neither would carapace and lerks wouldn't have a problem remaining competitive lategame. (I.e there wouldn't be a scaling problem with lerks like there is today)

It's the perfect solution really. Right now we have a tanky lerk that still sucks lategame, so it can't properly perform its supporting task, and without celerity it's ridiculously slow. Not to mention players feel the need to take carapace because once shotguns are fielded they don't stand a chance any more if they have to fly in and spore.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1999463:date=Oct 28 2012, 09:27 PM:name=Zomb3h)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zomb3h @ Oct 28 2012, 09:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999463"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Zombie Master Mod had that quasi-spectator mode commanding. It was sooo fun.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That was actually my inspiration, since I love me some ZM :)

However, the ZM implementation always seemed very clunky and hard to use. I'm hoping that since UWE has full control over their engine, they'd be able to do a much smoother implementation of the concept.