OP Shotguns

Bad MojoBad Mojo Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67317Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Are they really not going to be addressed?</div>I'm surprised at how few complaints there have been about shotguns in the past few weeks. They are mentioned frequently, always referring to how they one shot skulks/lerks etc. But when they are mentioned, it's always something else that is the focus of that conversation (usually probably in an "aliens suck" thread).

But we can't honestly be sitting here thinking that shotguns are fine the way they are. Some aspect of them needs to be nerfed. Obviously it's hard to imagine nailing a skulk at point blank and it surviving...if it was nerfed that much then it would become pretty much useless overall on the damage scale. But something needs to be done, seriously, to tone down their absurd effectiveness.

- Damage drop off at a distance
- Widen the spread
- Slightly reduce the number of pellets
- Reduce rate of fire
- Reduce the number of shots per clip to 4 or 5. It's bad enough that you can one shot a skulk with a weapon that is most effective at close range when the skulk has to get in close, but when you have 8 chances to hit (an amount of shots that will outlast any encounter with anything but an Onos of a Hive), you have a huge chance of landing that shot, whether it be luck or skill, before the skulk can land 3+ bites.

<b>Of course I'm not suggesting that all of these be applied. It's just a list of ways to nerf shotguns.</b>

Comments

• ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    You've listed a bunch of nerf ideas but you haven't justified your premise. Why do shotguns need to be nerfed?
  • antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    20 res shotgun generally beats a 0 res skulk.

More news at 11.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    Nothing is more frustrating than unreliable weapon, if there's a problem with shotguns it lies in the res system or alien movement.
  • statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    I agree that shotguns should be nerfed. I think a decreased effectiveness at range would be sufficient. Its debateably fine that you can own infinite skulks all day if your a really good SGer, but its bull###### that you can take out a lerk at a distance with it as well.

The recycleability of shotguns just compounds their strength. I have been a lerk and killed a shotgunner at crevice, he respawns, runs back and gets there before its gone, complete bull######.
  • Bloodshot12Bloodshot12 Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152578Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1998204:date=Oct 26 2012, 07:50 PM:name=Bad Mojo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bad Mojo @ Oct 26 2012, 07:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1998204"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's <b>bad enough</b> that you can <b>one shot a skulk</b> with a weapon that is <b>most effective at close range</b> when the skulk has to <b>get in close</b>,<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This defies logic in all forms of it's existence.
  • Red DestinyRed Destiny Join Date: 2012-08-11 Member: 155428Members
    Well he did mention how shotguns have a (high) potential to kill a skulk in one hit, the baseline lifeform that most alien players will be spending the majority of time as. This creates a feeling of 'aliens suck' as he has stated based on the findings of this forum. He is also not asking that it not kill a skulk at point-blank range, and his proposal was to decrease damage with distance, or widen shotgun spread.

I personally feel that shotguns detract from the fun of the game, as an alien skulk, if a group working together can get nailed in one hit by another player, without an alien equivalent. The closest I can think of is a Fade, which is marginally tougher, but much harder to hit (but costs 50 res). A Fade doesn't have the benefit of leaving a corpse that another player can 'pick up', as well.

I would suggest decreasing weapons costs, but also making them unrecoverable if dropped via death, only. A system like this is already in place for jetpacks, and if it is applied to a marine killed in battle, it would 'even' the actual loss of death. Currently, marines just have a buddy 'cycle' the weapon for them, to ensure it does not disappear, whereas aliens do not have this advantage.

This can also lead to turtling situations where grenade launchers are endlessly recycled in a last-stand situation, whereas aliens huddling around a sieged hive will lose everything upon death.
    Maybe it's because I have been playing a long time, but I usually don't have trouble downing a shotgun marine as a skulk unless there is nothing to climb up around me and I'm running straight towards him, in which I would likely die to even an LMG if I simply ran towards him.

Skulks are extremely maneuverable, you can keep a marine on his toes while getting bites in, and you are a small target, so using your speed and jumping to your advantage is very important.

Fighting multiple marines with shotguns is a different story, but you also shouldn't be bumrushing a group of marines as a lone skulk.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Shotguns out ranging Lerk is a bit derp, yeah.

Btw shotguns used to do less damage to armored (or whatever) and weren't nearly as effective against Onoses. Felt like a sensible tradeoff, buuuuut I dunno.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited October 2012
    This is a common complaint among new players. Most of them don't truly understand the value of 20 pres in a close game because they've only played pubs. They also haven't rigorously compared the two weapons

Mathematically speaking, an LMG fires ~18 bullets per second for ~180 dps Where as a shotgun fires ~1 shot per second for ~170 dps at w0.

DPS from firing without reloading:
    LMG - 500 damage over 2.8s for ~179 dps
    Shotgun - 1360 damage over ~7s for ~194 dps

To unload a full clip and reload it:
    LMG - ~5s for 500 damage or ~100 dps
    Shotgun - ~15s for 1360 damage or ~91dps

Using these metrics, the shotgun is very similar in damage output. Now let's look at why the shotgun costs 20 pres.

Mechanics advantage for shotgun:
    -reload mechanic
    ---interruptable, partial reloading is possible
    -larger magazine means more damage output before down time (1360 damage vs 500 damage)
    -easier to aim 1 shot every second instead of tracking constantly
    -more upfront damage (ie possibility of 1 shot skulk kills)

Mechanics advantage for LMG:
    -low spread
    -range
    -much faster reload speed

The shotgun's pres cost and strength is justified. You're effectively paying pres for the mechanical advantages which are dominated by a) ease of use and b) upfront damage but you're sacrificing c) range and d) consistency (somewhat-random spread vs low spread).

And as a parting thought, let's consider how long it takes to kill a skulk in the likely scenario that you don't score a 1-hit kill despite scoring a close range shot on a skulk due to spread and orientation of skulk.
    Shotgun - 2 shots ~1 second
    LMG - 9 shots ~0.5s

Mathematically, LMGs kill skulks at least as fast as shotguns when presented with likely in game scenarios. The benefit of shotguns is not in their damage, but the mechanics in which they can apply their damage. And, in fact, if shotguns could not 1 shot skulks in the way they currently do then they would be subpar compared to LMGs for every situation in the game.
  • antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    Shotguns are currently the ONLY answer to Fades, a nerf to shotguns is a buff to fades.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    Shotguns are fine IMO. GLs are ###### though.
    A group of GL's becomes a hell barrage of explosive walls. If you have enough players and the comm supporting them with ammo drops/armory nearby they basically become area denial tools that can last forever. I assume the lowly ammo count and long reload time was meant to counter this but it's negated by the fact that everyone can just buy one and spam all over.
  • statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1998230:date=Oct 26 2012, 08:32 PM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Oct 26 2012, 08:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1998230"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is a common complaint among new players. Most of them don't truly understand the value of 20 pres in a close game because they've only played pubs. They also haven't rigorously compared the two weapons
    .<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I believe you are drawing the conclusion here that because and LMG does equal damage, if you have really good aim then the shotguns not that much better then it but I don't think thats the case.

I am commenting from a pub perspective but how about the idea that when a skulk is at very close range it becomes proportionately harder to track constantly, thus the less tracking required aspect increases in value. As well, if your using it in a defensive role you can just phase around and hold all the spots, removing your disadvantage of lack of effectiveness at range. This has the added benefit that you stay close to armories so endlessly at full health, and even if you do die, somebody else can get your weapon. This is extremely easy to do even if your a mediocre shotgunner because a marine with a shotgun at full health only has to hit you ONCE. You have to hit them minimum 2 usually 3+ good times assuming theres no medpack spam.

The spread at close range is low enough to be nearly negligible. If you hit them full on, they die. The other disadvantage you mention is slower reload time, but really I think that at least breaks even due to large clip size and the partial reload option.
  • unkindunkind Join Date: 2012-02-04 Member: 143563Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1998230:date=Oct 26 2012, 10:32 PM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Oct 26 2012, 10:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1998230"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is a common complaint among new players. Most of them don't truly understand the value of 20 pres in a close game because they've only played pubs. They also haven't rigorously compared the two weapons<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

95%+ of the people playing this game aren't going to play anything but pubs there boss. If it's a common complaint then it's probably a pretty huge issue.

TBH I think it's fine other than the retarded range it has
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    I've always advocated returning shotguns to <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Damage_types" target="_blank">light damage type</a>. That's still the only change I would like to see to shotguns.

I think they should be less effective against more armoured lifeforms in exchange for being able to one-shot skulks. I'm still not certain if a perfect shotgun shot at level zero weapons tech should be able to one-shot a carapace skulk. I'm leaning towards requiring weapons 1 there.

In particular, the Onos deserves to be less vulnerable to shotguns. Buying a shotgun should make you be less effective against <i>something</i>, and intuitively the Onos makes sense as a heavily armoured creature. The wide damage cone from a shotgun isn't really a drawback when you're trying to hit a barn-sized Onos.

@Bad Mojo
    I'm not really in favour of any of the changes you've suggested because the shotgun is a very quantum weapon and gradual/minor changes can cause huge effects (like suddenly it doesn't do enough damage to one-shot a skulk). For your own sanity, first define the role of the shotgun. How should a shotgun vs x lifeform scenario play out in a one-on-one. That's a good starting point to consider what changes should be made, if any.
    <!--quoteo(post=1998239:date=Oct 27 2012, 12:59 AM:name=statikg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (statikg @ Oct 27 2012, 12:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1998239"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I believe you are drawing the conclusion here that because and LMG does equal damage, if you have really good aim then the shotguns not that much better then it but I don't think thats the case.

I am commenting from a pub perspective but how about the idea that when a skulk is at very close range it becomes proportionately harder to track constantly, thus the less tracking required aspect increases in value. As well, if your using it in a defensive role you can just phase around and hold all the spots, removing your disadvantage of lack of effectiveness at range. This has the added benefit that you stay close to armories so endlessly at full health, and even if you do die, somebody else can get your weapon. This is extremely easy to do even if your a mediocre shotgunner because a marine with a shotgun at full health only has to hit you ONCE. You have to hit them minimum 2 usually 3+ good times assuming theres no medpack spam.

The spread at close range is low enough to be nearly negligible. If you hit them full on, they die. The other disadvantage you mention is slower reload time, but really I think that at least breaks even due to large clip size and the partial reload option.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1998241:date=Oct 27 2012, 01:07 AM:name=unkind)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (unkind @ Oct 27 2012, 01:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1998241"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->95%+ of the people playing this game aren't going to play anything but pubs there boss. If it's a common complaint then it's probably a pretty huge issue.

TBH I think it's fine other than the retarded range it has<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't disagree with these posts. The problem is people see "OMG 1 SHOT" and don't actually consider the cost of a shotgun (20 pres should convery a huge advantage over the 0 pres an lmg costs) and don't seem to even understand why a shotgun is powerful. Most of the time people don't understand how big of an issue spread is and how bad it is due to the random nature it introduces. Increasing randomness in a skill-oriented shooter is never good for gameplay. Many of these complaints also completely fail to consider how powerful the LMG is. That was the point of my post. To give some more nuanced perspective and to try and demonstrate what that 20 pres is buying -- its not damage, it's mechanics. And anything to reduce the damage of the shotgun is going to nullify it entirely because it is already very similar in its damage output when compared to the free LMG.
    <!--quoteo(post=1998243:date=Oct 27 2012, 01:22 AM:name=Khyron)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Khyron @ Oct 27 2012, 01:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1998243"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've always advocated returning shotguns to <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Damage_types" target="_blank">light damage type</a>. That's still the only change I would like to see to shotguns.

I think they should be less effective against more armoured lifeforms in exchange for being able to one-shot skulks. I'm still not certain if a perfect shotgun shot at level zero weapons tech should be able to one-shot a carapace skulk. I'm leaning towards requiring weapons 1 there.

In particular, the Onos deserves to be less vulnerable to shotguns. Buying a shotgun should make you be less effective against <i>something</i>, and intuitively the Onos makes sense as a heavily armoured creature. The wide damage cone from a shotgun isn't really a drawback when you're trying to hit a barn-sized Onos.

@Bad Mojo
    I'm not really in favour of any of the changes you've suggested because the shotgun is a very quantum weapon and gradual/minor changes can cause huge effects (like suddenly it doesn't do enough damage to one-shot a skulk). For your own sanity, first define the role of the shotgun. How should a shotgun vs x lifeform scenario play out in a one-on-one. That's a good starting point to consider what changes should be made, if any.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A return to light damage could be acceptable but it would require a complete rework and rebalance of the gun. You couldn't simply convert it from normal to light and call it a day. It would be terrible.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Yes let us nerf all the weapons so you can spend your pres on suckage, the answer is buffs not nerfs. No one likes being weak.
  • DrFlammableDrFlammable Join Date: 2012-04-18 Member: 150705Members
    the only thing i'd like to see gone is 1 shots on carapace skulks (other than all or all minus one pellets hit on level 3 weapons) but i'm probably biased since i love skulks and it just upsets me an incredible amount when I've got carapace and i'm trying to 1v1 someone and the fight is just instantly ended because of lucky shot distribution. there's probably way too many other implications that this would have that would mess other stuff up so i guess the only answer is to get over it and get better.
  • nSidianSidia Join Date: 2012-08-15 Member: 155651Members
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I would be a bit happier if the shotgun did not have such range. I do get annoyed when I see a marine and before I have time to react I am dead. That is more me getting out played though.
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1998253:date=Oct 27 2012, 04:36 PM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Oct 27 2012, 04:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1998253"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A return to light damage could be acceptable but it would require a complete rework and rebalance of the gun. You couldn't simply convert it from normal to light and call it a day. It would be terrible.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Probably not as terrible as some of the balance changes we've seen since b200 hehe. In fairness, sometimes raw and unchecked balance changes have been made to see just how much effect it has on other parts of the game. So make a change, test it for a week and use those results to inform what else needs to change because of that initial change. Kinda thing. I'd be fine with that approach if the game wasn't being released in 5 days.

I think your approach is entirely sensible given the release situation. There are a few basic things to check, like how many shots at 100% accuracy to take down each lifeform from full health, with and without cara. Model that against a medium damage and light damage shotgun, look at the extent of the changes and take it from there.
  • KeldornKeldorn Join Date: 2012-05-05 Member: 151587Members
    edited October 2012
    I think shotguns are somewhat justified, even though it can deal with every lifeform pretty effectively. What I see more of a problem is that it gets recycled over and over, lowering the 20 pres cost by alot. If another player or yourself picks the gun up again, some could say that it costed 10 pres in the end. Camping weapons to prevent the owner from picking it up again is major suckage and forces you to stay on one location instead of doing something more important for the team.

There needs to be a way for aliens to destroy dropped weapons, thats the only valid solution I see without making it unusuable or overshadowed by the lmg. Either that or reduce the time that it stays on the field so that at least the owner probably won't get back in time, unless its in the marine base.

Or you could try to balance it by buffing aliens by allowing the same thing as marines. As in, allow aliens to recuperate some of their lost pres when they die. That way dying as a higher lifeform isn't so binary anymore, it would be more forgiving and less frustrating.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    If shotguns are so overpowered.... Why do I never buy them?

MYTH BUSTED
    <!--quoteo(post=1998291:date=Oct 27 2012, 02:47 AM:name=Keldorn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Keldorn @ Oct 27 2012, 02:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1998291"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think shotguns are somewhat justified, even though it can deal with every lifeform pretty effectively. What I see more of a problem is that it gets recycled over and over, lowering the 20 pres cost by alot. If another player or yourself picks the gun up again, some could say that it costed 10 pres in the end. Camping weapons to prevent the owner from picking it up again is major suckage and forces you to stay on one location instead of doing something more important for the team.

There needs to be a way for aliens to destroy dropped weapons, thats the only valid solution I see without making it unusuable or overshadowed by the lmg. Either that or reduce the time that it stays on the field so that at least the owner probably won't get back in time, unless its in the marine base.

Or you could try to balance it by buffing aliens by allowing the same thing as marines. As in, allow aliens to recuperate some of their lost pres when they die. That way dying as a higher lifeform isn't so binary anymore, it would be more forgiving and less frustrating.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I also think it is a problem with how long weapons can be recycled. I frequently run back to my own weapon which I don't think should be possible. It could also be that marines move too fast, though. ;)
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    I would agree that one shooting skulks is a bit too easy now, specially with the performance increase.

Ideally you should have only one chance to one-shot a skulk, and if you miss it should be bad for you.

The one-shot range could be decreased a bit, but it's not really enough because most of the time you can hurt a skulk with a fist shot from far away, effectively increasing a lot the one-shot range.
  • KuddlyKalliKuddlyKalli Yuggera Country Join Date: 2010-12-23 Member: 75905Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1998309:date=Oct 27 2012, 06:21 PM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Oct 27 2012, 06:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1998309"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I also think it is a problem with how long weapons can be recycled. I frequently run back to my own weapon which I don't think should be possible. It could also be that marines move too fast, though. ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--coloro:#FFC0CB--><span style="color:#FFC0CB"><!--/coloro-->Yeah, when defending a base there's no hesitation to spend pres on weapons. And sprint remains completely unnecessary given the marines' other mobility advantages over aliens. It should be the melee team that has this advantage, not the other way around.

Shotguns are mostly fine, but the damage they can deal at range is a bit much. I think pumping up the damage falloff at range is the best solution.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1998310:date=Oct 27 2012, 10:25 AM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ Oct 27 2012, 10:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1998310"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would agree that one shooting skulks is a bit too easy now, specially with the performance increase.

Ideally you should have only one chance to one-shot a skulk, and if you miss it should be bad for you.

The one-shot range could be decreased a bit, but it's not really enough because most of the time you can hurt a skulk with a fist shot from far away, effectively increasing a lot the one-shot range.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think the "ease" of one shotting skulks may potentially be a problem with players. Whether or not it is a reasonable problem, I don't know.

The problem is that players rarely differentiate between different weapons on marines. It happens most noticeably to me when I play Lerk. I'll be chomping and spiking normal marines, and then a shotgun marine will come in. I will spike him for a bit, and he will run away and I will think, I'll just go bite him once or twice. WHAT'S THE HARM? And then I die.

You don't send siege tanks against banelings, and you don't attack a shotgun marine from the front with anything lower than a fade. That's the way it is. You accept it or you die.

<!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Disclaimer: I know nothing about starcraft 2 but assume that analogy to be accurate. Please send any complaints to someone who can do something about it.<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
  • MangoMango Join Date: 2012-10-11 Member: 162061Members
    Lerks shouldn't get 1 shotted from shotguns. That was a wake up call when I turned Lerk and 1 shotgun killed me. As for skulks I don't really care if they get 1 shooted since there are the lowest class. But, Lerks shouldn't die so easy and as for gorges it is 2 shots atm.
    <!--quoteo(post=1998326:date=Oct 27 2012, 04:59 AM:name=Mango)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mango @ Oct 27 2012, 04:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1998326"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lerks shouldn't get 1 shotted from shotguns. That was a wake up call when I turned Lerk and 1 shotgun killed me. As for skulks I don't really care if they get 1 shooted since there are the lowest class. But, Lerks shouldn't die so easy and as for gorges it is 2 shots atm.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lerks can't die from one shot. Ever.