Linux dedicated server

GartermanGarterman Join Date: 2003-09-24 Member: 21158Members
Is there any any update as to when a Linux dedicated server build might be available?

Has the server code not been written such that it's cross-compilable on win/linux?

Thanks

Comments

• ExplosifBeExplosifBe Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58284Forum Admins, Playtest Lead, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    No and I don't think so.
    All we know is that they will optimize windows server before working on the linux.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I know UWE has expressed the interest and desire of making a Linux server build, but I doubt we'd see it before the v1.0 release.
  • ShaDooMShaDooM Join Date: 2005-06-28 Member: 54873Members
    well 1.0 soon...

UWE please surprise me with a dedicated linux server, i don't want to waste money on a windows license :(

well and i dont wanna use windows on server in general anymore
  • joshmmojoshmmo Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71293Members
  • MPG|RED HOOKMPG|RED HOOK Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157598Members
    It runs ok through wine.
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    I guess the issue with running through WINE is that its not really supported by UWE. Imagine the next build breaks it for wine users, but windows has no issues, they won't be pressured or required to update it to make sure its compatible again.

It's happened before, I remember people running it through WINE around B180, and then all of a sudden it stopped working.
  • MPG|RED HOOKMPG|RED HOOK Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157598Members
    But is it really worth the 800 dollars for window server license?
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    For you? I guess not.

But if you are making a guarantee of uptime, then it might become worth it for a reseller.
  • ZervunZervun Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9658Members
    edited September 2012
    I really wish that they would focus on a linux server =/

So many ns1 servers were linux. I have an extremely powerful colo 1u dual proc newest gen xeon supermicro just waiting for NS2 on it with huge bandwidth that is just sitting there.

I've had my preorder out since they came out. I am still extremely disappointed more on the no linux server than the long release.

The linux NS1 server owners helped build the popularity of NS and they are now getting a raw deal.

I'm afraid that without the linux server release it will not have the popularity it did before. Such an incredibly bad decision =/ Optimizing the windows server before a linux server would be about the worst thing they could do.

What I don't understand at all is that the sheer amount of fans, people to buy the game, would be so much more if they work on the linux side both client and server especially with Valve also having that angle now. I really don't think they understand that delta, NS2 is not going to be the Tf2 of the world, it will be a damn good game, with supporters, many of which were from NS1 and linux and the servers. Appealing to only the windows audience is such an extremely bad move as it's a 180 from the past.

I may not be a huge poster, but I ran a NS server back in the day, played on a ton, and have been around since NS1 beta. Joined: 22-November 02 Member No.: 9,658

Edit: I really don't want to run it through wine, it's not a very supportable option.
  • ScyllaScylla Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18942Members
    Yes a linux server is just a requirement imho and it should be released fast; most gameserver providers primary support linux. Some offer window but i costs more. So please UWE release a linux server soon.
  • falcfalc Join Date: 2011-03-18 Member: 87128Members
    <a href="http://de.twitch.tv/naturalselection2/b/331846110" target="_blank">http://de.twitch.tv/naturalselection2/b/331846110</a> @ 8:15
  • devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1976801:date=Sep 12 2012, 10:47 PM:name=Zervun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zervun @ Sep 12 2012, 10:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1976801"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm afraid that without the linux server release it will not have the popularity it did before. Such an incredibly bad decision =/ Optimizing the windows server before a linux server would be about the worst thing they could do.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So they should completely ignore optimizations until the linux server is ready? Have you looked at the forums recently, where every other post is about them not optimizing the game fast enough?

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What I don't understand at all is that the sheer amount of fans, people to buy the game, would be so much more if they work on the linux side both client and server especially with Valve also having that angle now. I really don't think they understand that delta, NS2 is not going to be the Tf2 of the world, it will be a damn good game, with supporters, many of which were from NS1 and linux and the servers. Appealing to only the windows audience is such an extremely bad move as it's a 180 from the past.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

NS1 never had a linux client. NS1 had a linux server, but I doubt any significant amount of people are going to purchase NS2 because it has a linux server.
    <!--quoteo(post=1976951:date=Sep 13 2012, 05:51 AM:name=falc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (falc @ Sep 13 2012, 05:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1976951"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://de.twitch.tv/naturalselection2/b/331846110" target="_blank">http://de.twitch.tv/naturalselection2/b/331846110</a> @ 8:15<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nice to hear did not see that one.

Incidentally I'm only talking about linux server. I game on windows because everything else is on it and it will be a long time before the gaming on linux will mature even with steams help.
    <!--quoteo(post=1977152:date=Sep 13 2012, 01:37 PM:name=devicenull)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (devicenull @ Sep 13 2012, 01:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1977152"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So they should completely ignore optimizations until the linux server is ready? Have you looked at the forums recently, where every other post is about them not optimizing the game fast enough?

NS1 never had a linux client. NS1 had a linux server, but I doubt any significant amount of people are going to purchase NS2 because it has a linux server.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well as my above post, it was nice to hear that they are working on a linux server. I never said NS1 had a linux client. Linux servers were the backbone of the community of NS1 though. I disagree with your statement that it wouldn't matter about purchases, it might not be at the start but it will be overtime. A part of what made NS1 great was a large community of good servers out there in which linux was very common.
  • gallomimiagallomimia Join Date: 2012-10-17 Member: 162580Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1966897:date=Aug 26 2012, 10:55 AM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Aug 26 2012, 10:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1966897"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I know UWE has expressed the interest and desire of making a Linux server build, but I doubt we'd see it before the v1.0 release.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's as stupid as the day is long. Build linux server, optimize it, then worry about windows server in case... well no. Don't worry about a windows server at all.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'd definetly setup a server if they get a Linux one out. Windows is a no-go.

Though, they also need to address server performance so it runs accetable on normal CPUs, OC'd hardware for servers is pertty stupid.
  • gallomimiagallomimia Join Date: 2012-10-17 Member: 162580Members
    Nothing is more annoying to have finished installing a game server and then to find .exe's and .dll's all over the place. You guys owe me 4 gigs of interNAP premium bandwidth.

I also want a refund on the game client I prepurchased. Linux server, or not playing. Not supporting with my gaming community either.

It's important. GTF to work.
  • carlgmcarlgm Join Date: 2004-08-26 Member: 30907Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1993382:date=Oct 18 2012, 02:14 PM:name=gallomimia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gallomimia @ Oct 18 2012, 02:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1993382"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nothing is more annoying to have finished installing a game server and then to find .exe's and .dll's all over the place. You guys owe me 4 gigs of interNAP premium bandwidth.

I also want a refund on the game client I prepurchased. Linux server, or not playing. Not supporting with my gaming community either.

It's important. GTF to work.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

InterNAP isn't premium bandwidth, gtfo. They're already said they've got someone to do it but not sure if he's started yet.
  • hacked_13hacked_13 Join Date: 2009-01-05 Member: 65988Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    How do people not understand that ns1 was a mod on cs?
    So it was really CS's linux server running the mod not a ns1 server built from scratch?

The more they optimise the server in ANYWAY will give it the ability to work more efficiently on both platforms. Including in Wine, so we might not need to have a 4+ghz server running it in wine via an X server that is causing our overhead, and extra cpu cycles.

Yes it sucks, and if you have a 'powerful' linux server, you shouldn't have a problem running this.

Everyone wants a nix version, but there is no point in developing a linux server right now when they are not optimised.
  • ZeikkoZeikko Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63179Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1993569:date=Oct 19 2012, 05:06 AM:name=hacked_13)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hacked_13 @ Oct 19 2012, 05:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1993569"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How do people not understand that ns1 was a mod on cs?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh that's what it was?
  • CamronCamron Join Date: 2011-01-06 Member: 76356Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1993569:date=Oct 18 2012, 11:06 PM:name=hacked_13)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hacked_13 @ Oct 18 2012, 11:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1993569"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How do people not understand that ns1 was a mod on cs?
    So it was really CS's linux server running the mod not a ns1 server built from scratch?

The more they optimise the server in ANYWAY will give it the ability to work more efficiently on both platforms. Including in Wine, so we might not need to have a 4+ghz server running it in wine via an X server that is causing our overhead, and extra cpu cycles.

Yes it sucks, and if you have a 'powerful' linux server, you shouldn't have a problem running this.

Everyone wants a nix version, but there is no point in developing a linux server right now when they are not optimised.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    lol...
  • TechnIckSTechnIckS Join Date: 2007-01-14 Member: 59616Members
    edited October 2012
    ahem :P - he means hl not cs :P
  • tagwolftagwolf SF Bay Area Join Date: 2013-02-01 Member: 182710Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    LUA code it multi platform.

What is the hold up guys? you PROMISED that linux binaries would be released upon v1....

What's the hold up?