armory blocking

schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
<div class="IPBDescription">is it legit?</div>Just wondering if using the armory (or two) to block off the powernode or low vent etc is a legitimate tactic from the marine commander?

I see reasonably often, and it doesn't bother me (because bilebomb doesnt care either hehe) but you get some people that get very annoyed by it and start ranting on about bans etc

If it isn't legitimate, are there plans to say make the armory shorter, or to move powernodes up higher? or even something more innovative?

Comments

• ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    Its legit in SC2. Not saying that that decides it, just saying it has precedent.
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    to stop it all they have to do is make a no build zone within x meters of the node
  • S_BadguyS_Badguy Join Date: 2003-12-03 Member: 23925Members
    AFAIK aliens can't put crags on cysts or cysts in excessively discrete places so it would probably be a good idea to have a no build radius for tall structures.
  • Highlander92Highlander92 Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162257Members
    People would seriously ban over this....? its currently a game element. Thats like reporting someone for walling off as terran in sc. Thats just stupid imo. its not illegitimate, its a strategy and good use of buildings.
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
  • MelatoninMelatonin Babbler Join Date: 2003-03-15 Member: 14551Members, Constellation
    it's clever, it made me appreciate the comm who placed it when I first saw it.

besides which, quite often, you can still hit the node behind the blocking structure (albeit with less movement for dodging).
  • dethovudethovu Join Date: 2009-06-23 Member: 67906Members
    The only thing I don't care for is the clipping that can occur from placing the two models so close together.

Otherwise, building structures to block off things has always been a part of NS (building comm chairs in vents in NS1 for example). Along with building armories to surround a comm chair, and other such strategies, I think it is valid.

But it seems to be more of an organic strategy that developed from the community rather than one that was intentional from the developer, so it could use some tweaking to at least make it seem less like an afterthought (like fixing the clipping that occurs for example, which would also balance some of the cheese factor a bit).
  • bEEbbEEb Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149317Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Gorges can cover nodes with clogs. They can also cover upgrade chambers.

So yeah, its legit.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2012
    The model-within-model type of power node "covering" (more accurately, clipping) has already been reported as an exploit and will be fixed someday (I can only hope).

Using armories and robotic factories to block pathways and placed NEXT TO and very close to power nodes is a legitimate strategy.
  • WackOhWackOh Join Date: 2004-07-25 Member: 30100Members
    maybe this was a one off, but a marine built a powernode even though it was clogged
  • antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    I find this can work in the marines disfavour, if a skulk gets in there it is impossible to shoot him as the armouries will act as shields.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1994269:date=Oct 20 2012, 11:06 PM:name=bEEb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bEEb @ Oct 20 2012, 11:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1994269"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Gorges can cover nodes with clogs. They can also cover upgrade chambers.

So yeah, its legit.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Clogs melt when a flamer or welder is vaguely pointed in their direction though :P
  • bEEbbEEb Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149317Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1994286:date=Oct 20 2012, 04:33 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Oct 20 2012, 04:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1994286"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Clogs melt when a flamer or welder is vaguely pointed in their direction though :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Welders are OP now no matter where you point them!
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1994286:date=Oct 20 2012, 06:33 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Oct 20 2012, 06:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1994286"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Clogs melt when a flamer or welder is vaguely pointed in their direction though :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And armories melt quite fast when bile-bombed.
    +1 for legit
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    In my view:
    - Armory blocking where the armory clips into the structure (e.g. powernode) = Exploit that needs fixing
    - Armory blocking where the armory is simply adjacent to the structure = Legit
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Creative gameplay, why not? It's 10 t.res invested.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1994300:date=Oct 20 2012, 06:44 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Oct 20 2012, 06:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1994300"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- Armory blocking where the armory clips into the structure (e.g. powernode) = Exploit that needs fixing<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

To fix that a significant portion of the maps- borders around room edges - would have to be set to commander no-build. Or building placement hitboxes (do those even exist) would have to be adjusted so that they are huge. Either way I think you'd be surprised how much freedom, variety and creativity of building placement that would be lost if this were to happen. IMO small clipping is not an issue in the first place, but for sake of argument.
  • noncomposmentisnoncomposmentis Join Date: 2004-11-13 Member: 32773Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1994305:date=Oct 20 2012, 05:55 PM:name=rantology)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rantology @ Oct 20 2012, 05:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1994305"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To fix that a significant portion of the maps- borders around room edges - would have to be set to commander no-build. Or building placement hitboxes (do those even exist) would have to be adjusted so that they are huge. Either way I think you'd be surprised how much freedom, variety and creativity of building placement that would be lost if this were to happen. IMO small clipping is not an issue in the first place, but for sake of argument.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Currently there is a buffer around built structures when you're placing a new one, but not power nodes. Couldn't we just add power nodes to that list? That said I've literally never run into a case of this where I was unable to bite the power node by going in at an angle, so I don't really have a problem with this tactic.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Considering it gets raped by bb and you cant weld the node if you block your marines Id say its plenty legit.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    I think that its not really in the spirit of the game if clipping to cover a power node (less of issue with doorways etc) as unless aliens have a 2nd hive and bile bomb this makes the marine base almost impossible to hit and needlessly draws out a game.

Its for the later reason that I think a buffer zone around power nodes needs to be put in place, people complain about how a game draws on too long and why we need f4/concede options yet jump up and down to try to keep things in that really only delay the inevitable.

Heck it is funny to be sitting in terminal with Robo factories in front of your doors shooting the onos over the top...but I do wish I could get those 10 minutes back and have some good game time instead (and I was on marine side..).

I put placed structures in the same boat as vents on veil which is valid (now they brought in ghost drops to stop blocking) enough. Some times its strategic to spend a few res to place an armoury somewhere that it blocks a vent.
    Veil vent gorge was always a valid tactic (there was a reason aliens could evolve in vents (besides a safe place before JP's) and thats so they could get into tricky places marines needs JP's or GL's to get them out of.
    This actually allowed aliens a chance of taking double off marines once they had initially set things up, building a DC ladder to be able to jump up to bile from was both good structure placement (v.hard t kill prior to sieges) and good strategy.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1994305:date=Oct 20 2012, 05:55 PM:name=rantology)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rantology @ Oct 20 2012, 05:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1994305"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To fix that a significant portion of the maps- borders around room edges - would have to be set to commander no-build. Or building placement hitboxes (do those even exist) would have to be adjusted so that they are huge. Either way I think you'd be surprised how much freedom, variety and creativity of building placement that would be lost if this were to happen. IMO small clipping is not an issue in the first place, but for sake of argument.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't mind small clipping issues, but I've seen pretty serious ones with powernodes and specific locations on certain maps (such that whole structures can be mostly buried in walls or rocks). If more than 50% of a structure can be obscured or protected in this way, then I think it starts to become a problem.
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    Oh god I love it when marine commanders build an armory or a robotics factory right in front or in a power node. Mainly an armory, I’ve seen some so close you can’t see the power node. Hence the bile bomb, if a marine can’t see it, they can’t let alone repair it. Same with macs and it’s even better when it’s an advanced armory.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited October 2012
    If the powernode can still be hit, it's not an exploit.
    If it can't be hit, it's an exploit.
    If bile bomb is the only thing that can hit it, and everything else can't, it's an exploit.
    If the powernode can be hit, but has such a small hitbox exposed that only one person can get it (only after biting around for ages to find where it can be hit) and the rest of the team has to sit around sucking on their thumbs, it's an exploit.

This isn't even worth debating.

Whenever I see this, and i'm on the marines team, I immediately start deliberately disobeying comms orders, f*cking around and doing absolutely nothing (e.g. making mine ladders and exploring the map without shooting anything). If the comm wants to use exploits, then they can deal with being a player down.

Just hurry up and make a no-build zone UWE. It's getting out of hand how much this occurs. And with no official position as to wether this is an exploit, or fix to stop it from happening, it's happening more and more. It'll happen even more after Halloween, and new players see it done and assume it is "accepted practice".
  • MangoMango Join Date: 2012-10-11 Member: 162061Members
    It is legit and should not be taken away do to the fact that a onos can pretty much take the main power source down quickly. So, having armory or what ever blocks it brings balance to the power issue. I understand why marines do it and I don't think they should remove it.
  • Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    As long as the armory is not clipping in and covering the power node, it's fine. If it is exploiting the fact that they can clip into the power node to cover it, then it is just that, an exploit.

Buildings really need to be solid so things can not be built in them. That would be a better option that an area around the power node where you can't build since this stops valid tactics like putting a robo under some power nodes to force skulks to be easily targeted without blocking access to the power node. However, for the sake of time since we DEFINITELY don't want this on release, a "no build" zone around the power node will work for a bandage fix (which, let's be honest, is the majority of this game unfortunately).
  • RedLaserBeamRedLaserBeam Join Date: 2012-10-03 Member: 161410Members
    I'm not faulting Marines for doing for covering a terrible terrible game mechanic, the power node.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2012
    This topic have been up so many times, and it seems like people don't know how to counter it.
    It's fairly obvious, use bilebomb to take down fortified bases.
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1994394:date=Oct 21 2012, 07:44 PM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ Oct 21 2012, 07:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1994394"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This topic have been up so many times, and it seems like people don't know how to counter it.
    It's fairly obvious, use bilebomb to take down fortified bases.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And if aliens only have 1 hive? Or have not yet researched Bile?
    Seeing as this is often done at start of a game before bile or a second hive this is a lame tactic at the least.
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    edited October 2012
    "Nano'whatever-the-hell-we-are-calling-them-these-days" are able to shape themselves into a white square with a red cross on it with the ability
    to instantly patch up a marines wounds... but they couldn't shape an armoury around a powernode to serve as ablative armour?

I see no foul, its already stupidly impossible to place buildings in this game without adding further restrictions to the commander.

Also... Kill the Obs First.
    <!--quoteo(post=1994406:date=Oct 21 2012, 08:35 PM:name=PsympleJester)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsympleJester @ Oct 21 2012, 08:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1994406"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Nano'whatever-the-hell-we-are-calling-them-these-days" are able to shape themselves into a white square with a red cross on it with the ability
    to instantly patch up a marines wounds... but they couldn't shape an armoury around a powernode to serve as ablative armour?

I see no foul, its already stupidly impossible to place buildings in this game without adding further restrictions to the commander.

Also... Kill the Obs First.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Umm. killing obs first still leave potentially IP's & Phase gates...taking out power takes out all three in less time.

Better to take power, which is part of the reason it was put in there to begin with.