Bug Exploit during Guru Tournament - Hypermutation

Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">Noticed what appears to be bug exploit during Guru Tournament play.</div>I was watching the Guru Tournament specifically the 1st game between Inversion and Nexzil. I not entirely sure, as I'm not a current beta player of Natural Selection 2, but I believe I noticed what I believe to be a bug exploit being used by a Nexzil member nxzl.Bitey. If you watch the Twitch stream, <a href="http://www.twitch.tv/naturalselection2/b/335453259" target="_blank">http://www.twitch.tv/naturalselection2/b/335453259</a>, at 1:36:42 towards the end of the match I saw nxzl.Bitey, who had the Hypermutation evolution, de-evolve into a skulk then back into an Onos. Now I know that is part of the game, but I noticed before de-evolving the Onos was almost dead, but after de-evolving and re-evolving back into an Onos he had full health. I'm not sure if this exploit is known to the community, and I'd hate for the devs to miss this exploit before release, as it is possible this exploit was used throughout this tournament match. Again, I'm not a current tester so I can't test this exploit out and I'm not even sure it is an exploit or just gameplay. Please let me know what this is one way or the other. Thankyou.

Comments

• TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    edited October 2012
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=121874&hl=" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...=121874&hl=</a>

Believe it or not, other people noticed this when it actually happened.
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    edited October 2012
    Evolving does reset both your health and adrenaline. Hypermutation allows you to evolve really really fast.

This certainly isn't an exploit, its exactly how these two things are supposed to work, but only in the match you saw was the interaction really put to full use. Hypermutation is widely regarded as the worst upgrade, but after this match people see the value. Whether or not this interaction will be accepted as intended usage or not is in the hands of the devs, since the stated purpose of Hypermutation is to allow players to change their evolution to the battlefield requirements, not as a near instant regen and res-banking.
  • Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    thank you for the quick feedback... I was entirely not sure what it was, but that does make since about evolving resetting health, but I would personally see that as bad news. I understand the necessity to de-evolve to a faster life form to get away to heal in this particular case, but to me that gameplay mechanic can be exploited like we saw in that match.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Its an exploit, but one that makes hypermutation worthwhile. I wouldn't mind seeing it kept.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I think Ironhorse (playtester) reported it as a bug on their tracking system. Whether developers will think it's a bug or a feature is still uncertain :-) . To me, it's a bug, and the whole hypermutation thing needs to be rethought IMO. Charlie seems to like it in the place that it is though :-( .
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2012
    Fixed, as of today in our Playtest.

*removed info on how to exploit lol*
  • BiteyBitey Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151622Members, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    The 'health' was a nifty feature. But I personally used the upgrade to maximize team effectiveness, health was simply a nice 'extra' perk =p
  • Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    Thanks Ironhorse! I'm glad they got rid of the part that really concerned me and not the other's. I like that it's still viable, but not as OP as it seemed during the match. Did they do anything to the res refund like make it cost a little to use hyper or is it still full refund? Now this is not a major problem at all, but I'd personally like to see it still cost some res, because it can essentially make you immune to res loss if used correctly. And Bitey, it was a very smart play and I commend you guys for that game, it was amazing!! :)
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    I personally don't think it's a bug. Eggs need to have full health. They can still get shot at while evolving, and you're a sitting duck while you are. The resulting lifeform needs to spawn with whatever % health that your egg ended up at (how it currently works). If (in Charlie's vision of hypermutation) you're supposed to be constantly evolving all the time in the thick of combat (e.g. lerk in, gas some people, go skulk, leap away) then if lifeform damage is transferred to the egg you would go down waaaaay too easily (eggs already do, and you're a sitting duck even with the quick evolve). Creatures also need to spawn at full energy unless they've taken flamethrower damage I reckon.

I don't however, think that the intention of the developers was for a creature to use the full hp on evolve, quick evolve and pres management on hypermutation, to use hypermutation to go back to the <b>same</b> lifeform for a quick heal. Whether or not this is an exploit is for the community to decide I guess. I think with the tradeoffs of not having celerity (or even adrenaline), hypermutation is still the worst or the second worst upgrade, so there's no point nerfing it. I'd call the quick heal move gimmicky rather than exploitative. Unless it is ruled that the full hp on egg thing is a bug. My vote is that it's not though
  • koewikoewi Join Date: 2007-08-25 Member: 61984Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    doesn't matter it's removed in 224 like iron just said
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited October 2012
    Lame, I missed that post. I guess hypermutation is back to being completely and utterly useless again (not that it wasn't already).

EDIT: well maybe not COMPLETELY useless, but certainly not viable given the tradeoffs of not getting a better upgrade instead
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    how about de-volve skulk, get healed up (quicker) then re-evolve back to onos?

would that be fair?
    <!--quoteo(post=1992659:date=Oct 16 2012, 11:45 PM:name=ogz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ogz @ Oct 16 2012, 11:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1992659"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->how about de-volve skulk, get healed up (quicker) then re-evolve back to onos?

would that be fair?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I believe it's more fair than insta healing. That way at least they still need to be healed in some way.
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1992607:date=Oct 16 2012, 10:42 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Oct 16 2012, 10:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1992607"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Its an exploit, but one that makes hypermutation worthwhile. I wouldn't mind seeing it kept.
    <!--quoteo(post=1992617:date=Oct 16 2012, 10:55 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Oct 16 2012, 10:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1992617"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fixed, as of today in our Playtest.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Back to crap tier, amirite?
  • Hunter.S.T.Hunter.S.T. Join Date: 2012-05-26 Member: 152596Members
    ummm... unless it gives you your hp back, its NOT a viable upgrade in the slightest. Nerfing this ability in this way, will mean that no1 will ever use it.
  • Squirreli_Squirreli_ Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151046Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hypermutation doesn't seem to work outside gimmicks and slight exploits. I've seen it being useful exactly twice:

- Back when players could donate eggs with pres, we showcased the exploitative nature of it in a streamed PCW. We bought one of our players both lerk egg and gorge egg, from which he got refunds by evolving back to skulk with hypermutation. Then he would go for a ~ 4 minute onos. This was made impossible not long after ;)

- This "exploit" by Nexzil.

My take on the hypermutation upgrade is that it is a gimmick that needs to be reworked completely. Please convince me wrong?
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    regeneration takes ages to heal up an onos, one could still hypermutate to skulk while also trading carapace for regen in order to quickly heal up, then switching back to get a fully healed carapace onos. not as fast as the previous exploit, but gladly not as broken too.
  • SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah I don't really see the use for hypermutation either. Only maybe for gorge if you want to switch some upgrades (like cara to regen and back) to get your energy back to full to continue healing/bilebombing right away, but even then you are sacrificing adrenaline.

It is really quite situational. You're much better of investing into celerity or adrenaline in the beginning anyways, so I don't see point taking it just so one person can evolve from lerk to fade later.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Any kind of healing bonus received from hypermutation (besides gorging) should be removed. Either that, or move it into the crag tree where it belongs.
  • BiteyBitey Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151622Members, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    I really think a few of you are quick to execute the upgrade. I'm sure there will be another way to 'utilize' it with a higher degree of action, I would go into the potential different ways it might still be a rockin upgrade. But I think I'll save any thoery crafting for the next build of exicting tourny play ;D

As long as Hypermutate refunds money, and allows for quick evolutions. You can bet I'll still use it, nothing's better then never losing Pres ^^
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    As long as Hyper Mutation scales with the amount of res you have, it will never be viable as a first upgrade. I think every upgrade should be equally viable at every stage of the game, otherwise you just lose strategic diversity.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thats the biggest exploit with hypermutation currently, about 2 die as onos and running around a corner and evolving skulk, nice free onos again... Pretty funny how that was also attempted but failed and no one noticed.

Hypermutations should never refund to your pres, it should just give you a seperate amount that is lost on death, regardless of what lifeform you are..

What it should allow to make it maybe usefull? is to be able to change lifeforms instantly, where you can basically switch between lifeforms without going egg at all, potentially with a single keybind. It should however maintain your health as a scalar across the change.
  • KuikiKuiki Join Date: 2012-02-03 Member: 143467Members
    I saw this today on an public server in warehouse. a gorge was on the top ceiling in warehouse i throw a grenade, he dies. okay faint death he come back then i shoot 2nd grenade he dies but in the same time an egg appears, now i kill the egg but to late, a skulk appears and quick egg back to gorge. i had to kill him 5times before he dies, this was really annoying :-P
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1992931:date=Oct 17 2012, 12:37 PM:name=xDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xDragon @ Oct 17 2012, 12:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1992931"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thats the biggest exploit with hypermutation currently, about 2 die as onos and running around a corner and evolving skulk, nice free onos again... Pretty funny how that was also attempted but failed and no one noticed.

Hypermutations should never refund to your pres, it should just give you a seperate amount that is lost on death, regardless of what lifeform you are..

What it should allow to make it maybe usefull? is to be able to change lifeforms instantly, where you can basically switch between lifeforms without going egg at all, potentially with a single keybind. It should however maintain your health as a scalar across the change.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Seems to me that this is the idea....kinda makes me think of redemption from ns1....onos should be dead, but is back at the hive instead (hey! that rhymes!)
  • GodofThunderGodofThunder Join Date: 2011-12-13 Member: 137815Members
    Could just add a regeneration ability once u hatch after hyper so that it doesnt insta give you hp but does give you a help while changing. Only works after evolving.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2012
    Hypermutation was meh for most lifeforms anyway (who benefit much more from celerity), even with the exploit.