Rude Behaviour

Comments

• BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I, as one of the HBZ server admins, do not care about smack talk, as long as it doesn't get out of hand.

If people start a flame war and it is getting personal, I tell them to chill out, which works most of the time.

People need to learn that there are a lot of idiots on the interwebs, and that they don't need to feel offended by them. Just smile and nod.

There was only one case were I was about to ban someone because of swearing. He kept saying "nazi ###### hacker" to everyone who killed him, and didn't respond to anything. He left right before I could ban him.

Keep in mind that de Para and Floodinator are less tolerant about insults though.
  • ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
    Well it is the internet, cowards will take the oppertunity to be 'tough' online safe in the knowledge the other party cant physically react... your most potent weapon, and it is highly effective is to completely ignore that person.
    Seriously, its the one thing a egotistical vain rager cannot tolerate is not being noticed.

Play LoL , its very effective training to develop anti ###### shielding... it works by the sheer volume you are exposed to, you either adapt or go insane either way it wont bother you much anymore :P

I was spoilt in NS 1 , played on the SGS servers in South Africa way back when it was still growing and the NS 1 group was small and tight knit... hours of fun, messing about , epic 2 - 3 hour battles...
    ... LOL , a memory... 3 am on a Saterday morning, after a number of beers... bumping into a Onos in game...shouting down voice coms OOOOOONNNNNNOOOOOOOOSSSSS!!!
    Family, not amused :P
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Pls no votekick, people just vote yes on half of those votes just because, they dont even care what its about...

Let the admins deal with those issues.
  • bEEbbEEb Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149317Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Personally, on the all-in servers, I dont really care about smack talk. Its just part of competition. Unless its disruptive to the server as a whole.

I draw the line with racist epithets and threats and will kick a player without question. That should never be tolerated. Overall its a case by case thing. Troll comms get kicked out of the chair by the rest of the team so I dont need to concern myself with that. If I was the sort of admin that kicked everyone with a bad attitude, the servers would be empty half the time. Id have to kick myself as well!
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1992239:date=Oct 16 2012, 01:24 PM:name=Volcano)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Volcano @ Oct 16 2012, 01:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1992239"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Welcome to the Internet<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1992247:date=Oct 16 2012, 01:40 PM:name=RentalCorpse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RentalCorpse @ Oct 16 2012, 01:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1992247"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Do explain why you think of me as "uptight". I think my point is very valid.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1992251:date=Oct 16 2012, 01:45 PM:name=TrC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrC @ Oct 16 2012, 01:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1992251"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You must be new here on internet.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just because you do not interact with someone face to face does not mean you should be an outright jerk.

As for active policing, yes, please leave that up to the server administrator.
    Votekick is debatable as it is open to misuse.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited October 2012
    People have a right to it, at least if you dont take it away via moderators.

<!--quoteo(post=1992314:date=Oct 16 2012, 10:53 AM:name=xDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xDragon @ Oct 16 2012, 10:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1992314"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Pls no votekick, people just vote yes on half of those votes just because, they dont even care what its about...

Let the admins deal with those issues.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I always vote yes, because next time it might be me.

<!--quoteo(post=1992240:date=Oct 16 2012, 08:27 AM:name=Mango)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mango @ Oct 16 2012, 08:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1992240"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When ever I play I turn mics off and just have my music on. Comm's hate me cause I never follow orders hence can't hear them, but It also filters out everyone else complaining on mic. As, for text chat I hardly ever read it if they are raging in text than they have to much time on there hands. I would just ignore them but ban them to the server is very extreme and can be very abusive. I hate admins who think they gods gift to everyone and ban people for the most minor things.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Then you miss out on a significant part of the game, unless you play on some horrid servers on which I have never been.

<!--quoteo(post=1992371:date=Oct 16 2012, 01:17 PM:name=Zaggy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zaggy @ Oct 16 2012, 01:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1992371"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As for active policing, yes, please leave that up to the server administrator.
    Votekick is debatable as it is open to misuse.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Votekick is a must I think, odds are that if someone has earned the active dislike of 3/4s of the server they deserve to get kicked.
  • blindblind Join Date: 2010-04-17 Member: 71437Members, Squad Five Gold
    We should ban this behaviour as well as we have to ban mohammed pictures. Because people get offended and don't know how to deal with it.

:D:D:D

@@@@@srsly there is so much grey area that it is always fun to see people try to walk in black or white only.

For <i>western civilized</i> game servers this is so easy, you have good admins and bad admins, people will tend to play on better run servers or servers whose policy they personally agree with. It has a beautiful automation, and even better, tons of good drama in many forums. You end up with servers being "uptight" and servers with reign of trolls (supsuland) and everyone is happy.
  • Katana-Katana- Join Date: 2008-11-25 Member: 65575Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1992240:date=Oct 16 2012, 05:27 AM:name=Mango)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mango @ Oct 16 2012, 05:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1992240"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When ever I play I turn mics off and just have my music on. Comm's hate me cause I never follow orders hence can't hear them, but It also filters out everyone else complaining on mic. As, for text chat I hardly ever read it if they are raging in text than they have to much time on there hands.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You should stop playing ns2.

if you aren't going to communicate with your team, why are you playing NS? Go play quake or something. You are wasting your time with this game because teamwork is a central part of this game. Team work requires communication. I think you are in the wrong place.
  • MangoMango Join Date: 2012-10-11 Member: 162061Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1992408:date=Oct 16 2012, 10:41 AM:name=Katana-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Katana- @ Oct 16 2012, 10:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1992408"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You should stop playing ns2.

if you aren't going to communicate with your team, why are you playing NS? Go play quake or something. You are wasting your time with this game because teamwork is a central part of this game. Team work requires communication. I think you are in the wrong place.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

so by your logic someone who is deaf has no place playing this game? I do fine team-working even If don't hear no one on mics.
  • unkindunkind Join Date: 2012-02-04 Member: 143563Members
    this is an fps game on the internet. man up. learn to talk ###### yourself? it's fun =)
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2012
    Rude/######/retarded/under-age/under-developed people in online gaming?

What has the world come to... whatever shall we do?!

Actually, there is perhaps something constructive from this thread. I'd love to have an option to turn off chat from the other team, or disable all chat altogether. I don't know why online games don't include it. I have nothing to say to the other team in NS2 except bullets and teeth.
  • assbdaassbda Join Date: 2011-05-02 Member: 96737Members
    Yeah i heard dota 2 was working on issues like these o_O

LOLOLOLO?
  • BuckfastBuckfast Join Date: 2012-09-08 Member: 158627Members
    edited October 2012
    Try to find a server with like-minded admins and you won't have to deal with as many immature players.

<!--quoteo(post=1992488:date=Oct 16 2012, 05:44 PM:name=assbda)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (assbda @ Oct 16 2012, 05:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1992488"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah i heard dota 2 was working on issues like these o_O<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Don't you play Dota2? if someone gets reported too much (I don't know how many reports are needed) he'll get banned/moved to low priority games (hello 20 minutes queue) etc...
    I've received around 4 messages from valve telling me that people I've reported in the past were punished.

I'm not fond of vote-kick - OMG! he killed me! he's definately a cheater!! Now I'll open a votekick on him every 2 minutes!! - although it is kinda effective on servers that don't have admins online most of the time.

<!--quoteo(post=1992468:date=Oct 16 2012, 05:03 PM:name=HeatSurge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HeatSurge @ Oct 16 2012, 05:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1992468"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually, there is perhaps something constructive from this thread. I'd love to have an option to turn off chat from the other team, or disable all chat altogether. I don't know why online games don't include it. I have nothing to say to the other team in NS2 except bullets and teeth.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

After some years of CS and DoD and reading people calling you names, accusing you of being a cheater etc... I found out I could write a command line on the console and turn all chat off. It was good.
    NS requires more teamwork to work than CS/DoD pub, you should not turn off team chat as it will be detrimental for both you (unless you like losing) and your team. The one that is making you (and probably more players from your team) turn off the chat should be the one being punished - 6 hour ban/kick/whatever.
    Just find a server with good/active admins.
    I hope I was clear, english is not my 1st language and I've not been playing games that require much of it.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    In my experience, votekick has rarely been useful. It's usually a rage feature which highlights the top-3 on each team. Something like the stupid "Dominating!!111oneone!1!" messages that some server admins think are a great idea ;-) - but that requires you to press a key every time you see them. I guess they're kinda like quick-time events. (No, I don't want to kick <insert top-3 scoreboard name here>, thanks. See you in 30 seconds).

If you like heavily-regulated servers, I'd suggest finding some. I don't :-) .

I just wish I could turn chat from the enemy team off though; through the menu would be ideal.
  • kastkast Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22791Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    People have the right to be d!cks. If it pisses you off that bad, then ignore them or find another server or take a break. I'm not advocating for people to be idiots, but what else did you expect from the intrawebs?
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1992627:date=Oct 16 2012, 10:10 PM:name=kast)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kast @ Oct 16 2012, 10:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1992627"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->People have the right to be d!cks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    They do not.
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    I'm really surprised many of you don't have thick enough skin to look over this. How many of you are competitive players? sledging has always been a part of this and always will be
  • kastkast Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22791Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1992629:date=Oct 16 2012, 11:12 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Oct 16 2012, 11:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1992629"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They do not.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution" target="_blank">I disagree.</a>
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1992633:date=Oct 16 2012, 10:15 PM:name=kast)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kast @ Oct 16 2012, 10:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1992633"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution" target="_blank">I disagree.</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    1) Freedom of Speech is Freedom of Political Speech, not personal speech, which you would know if you actually studied the constitution
    2) The States aren't the international arbiters of what is and isn't a right. You do not have a natural right to vote; the United States Government, however, will grant you that right if you are a citizen.
    3) The internet isn't subject to the US Constitution anyway. In fact, there are a surprising number of people who live in places that are actually <i>not</i> the US.
    Maybe people don't have the right to be ######s, but they have the opportunity to be ######s.

Happened in Doom back in 1993 - a little less "anonymous" because usually you were playing with a friend over 9600 modem (ftw), and still happening in 2012. Maybe we can celebrate an anniversary next year or something?

20 years of ######ing in online gaming anyone?
    <!--quoteo(post=1992639:date=Oct 16 2012, 10:18 PM:name=HeatSurge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HeatSurge @ Oct 16 2012, 10:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1992639"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe people don't have the right to be ######s, but they have the opportunity to be ######s.

Happened in Doom back in 1993 - a little less "anonymous" because usually you were playing with a friend over 9600 modem (ftw), and still happening in 2012. Maybe we can celebrate an anniversary next year or something?

20 years of ######ing in online gaming anyone?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    John Gabriel's Greater Internet ####wad Theory sums this whole thread up nicely.
    edited October 2012
    I agree with you on the Greater Internet ######wad Theory.

As far as having the right to being a d!ck, show me where it says you can't? Furthermore, if by making the (very valid) point of saying the Constitution has no real ground on the internet based on the diversity of the internet, then doesn't that further the validity of my statement that choosing to be a d!ck is only governed (or in this case, called-out on) by those individuals that it affects?

Again, I'm not saying it's ok to be a d!ck, I'm just making the point that if someone chooses to demean themselves in that manner, they reserve that choice and right.

I'm just a lowly firemans, I don't study Constitutional Law, sorry.
    Most states in the US have laws against defamation (slander/libel), but in practice people defame each other every day because it's not exactly practical to prosecute every single occurrence.

So there, you don't have the right to be a ######. Happy? :-D

That matters little online though, because there's even less practicality to enforcing law over perceived small issues such as these.

Basically, it's up to the server owners to remove elements which they dislike :-D .
    People can choose to be d!cks is my point.

Slander and libel is spoken and written defamation. Being a d!ck and slander/libel are not synonymous.

Perfect (true) example:
    My wife says I'm a d!ck even though I have not committed slander nor libel against her.
  • BuckfastBuckfast Join Date: 2012-09-08 Member: 158627Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1992647:date=Oct 16 2012, 11:45 PM:name=HeatSurge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HeatSurge @ Oct 16 2012, 11:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1992647"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That matters little online though, because there's even less practicality to enforcing law over perceived small issues such as these.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's pretty easy on a game server, just a few key strokes.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    People have the right to be ######s because preventing someone from being a ###### without proof that they are being a ###### is being even more of a ######.

Good luck proving someone is being a ######.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1992298:date=Oct 16 2012, 09:14 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Oct 16 2012, 09:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1992298"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It always amuses me that there are people out there who think they have some kind of right to not be offended or get smacktalk by other people. There is no such right other than racism and personal threats, I guess. However it is only natural you develop a shield against that sort of stuff, especially on the internet. Some people tend to have more trouble with that part than others though...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This... so much THIS. It applies in real life, as well as on the internet. Of course there is acceptable and unacceptable behavior, but it's up to the admins and community to create environments to their liking.

Never discount asking them politely to stop. I've seen plenty of people using g*ay stupidly or using Jew as a derogatory term, which is disappointing. In most cases, though, they've stopped after being asked once.
    Otherwise, player mute is a good thing. Use it.

Don't know what to tell ya, OP. All the answers I know of are already in this thread.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    Claiming that you have the right to be an ######, because you have the right of free speech is the same as claiming you have the right to shoot people, because you have the right to wear a gun.

You are raping that right if you use it to being a ######. I agree that you can't punish people for using their right of free speech. But that doesn't mean that you should be a ###### just because: "The internet works this way!" Surprise: It does not. It works how people want it to work. And YOU are the cause that it is how it is. Everybody is!

Don't push the guilt away to some obscure entity like "the internet"!
  • lolwowlolwow Join Date: 2012-10-06 Member: 161681Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1992274:date=Oct 16 2012, 06:11 AM:name=Khyron)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Khyron @ Oct 16 2012, 06:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1992274"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The one thing I see most often is things being called gá Žay. It's not ok. I will warn and kick people who say it. At the very least, it's the kind of immature prattle that floods so many online games and is immensely boring. I would like to think the NS2 community is above that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's pretty g.ay bro. What about the word "lame"? It's offensive to crippled persons

but anyway, this huge insurmountable problem can be easily cured with an individual mute mic/text option.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1992721:date=Oct 17 2012, 05:51 AM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Oct 17 2012, 05:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1992721"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Claiming that you have the right to be an ######, because you have the right of free speech is the same as claiming you have the right to shoot people, because you have the right to wear a gun.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

lol... wow

(pun intended)

not EVEN in the same ballpark