What 222 patchnotes neglected to mention

yehawmcgrawyehawmcgraw Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159694Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Shadowstep nerfed/broke</div><b>Intended or not, the Fade's shadowstep will no longer move in the vertical direction. The vertical component of your speed boost will be set to 0.</b>

If you aim slightly up, slightly forward, you will go only slightly forward. If you aim upwards, you will do nothing but waste your energy, floundering around for delighted marines to shotgun.

To me this is pretty harsh and uncalled for. I liked <b>up</b>; <b>up </b>is one of the safest directions. SSing upwards was a great way to move erratically, now it's a great way to frustratingly die. The way this game is implemented, the fade is the backbone of the alien team for the mid and late game. You can imagine removing an entire dimension of movable direction could have extreme consequnces for survivability, and ultimately aliens as a whole.

After the blink acceleration nerf, I pretty much exclusively used shadow step to conserve my energy while keeping speed up; blinking up to speed now requires to much energy. Now after this SS tweak...fading feels even more impotent and awkward.

I would say such a change, appropriate or not, is worth mentioning in the patchnotes. Also, please stop relentlessly nerfing aliens! This is starting to feel like popup shooting gallery simulator: marines versus cardboard.

Comments

• 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Let me introduce you to my good friend blink.
  • BigDBigD [OldF] Join Date: 2002-10-25 Member: 1596Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1990549:date=Oct 12 2012, 02:50 PM:name=yehawmcgraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yehawmcgraw @ Oct 12 2012, 02:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990549"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would say such a change, appropriate or not, is worth mentioning in the patchnotes. Also, please stop relentlessly nerfing aliens! This is starting to feel like popup shooting gallery simulator: marines versus cardboard.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As it damn well should be.

We don't need no stinkin' aliens. ALL HAIL THE TSA!
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1990550:date=Oct 12 2012, 05:52 PM:name=1dominator1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1dominator1 @ Oct 12 2012, 05:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990550"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Let me introduce you to my good friend blink.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Great! Now lets finally get rid of this abomination called shadow step and bring back metabolize/acid rocket or something that actually helps support fades main function. IE: Killing marines.
  • ShnagenburgShnagenburg Join Date: 2005-07-04 Member: 55235Members
    I agree, ALL changes, big or small, should be listed (this happens to be a big one.) Not to mention this change does not feel warranted, fades desperately need the maneuverability, and double jump doesn't cut it. What is the use case of the fades double jump? Could we perhaps have the double jump replaced with the vertical shadow step.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2012
    Removing the vertical component of shadowstep is not a good change imo. It didn't really hurt anyone, and helped fades actually be viable against jetpackers in certain rooms, without blink.

As it is now, some places are completely inaccessible for fades (catwalk on cargo comes to mind) without blink. In my opinion shadow step vertical movement was not OP by any means, and I can only hope that they actually didn't intend to make that change.
  • havok?havok? Join Date: 2012-05-22 Member: 152462Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I really liked vertical shadow stepping.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    To the OP: did you tried it on 221? Because I am nearly sure I couldn't go up in it too. This is why I got stuck on the cliff behind Crevice once, and had to wait for blink.

Don't know since how long it's the case but... I am not sure it is since 222. And yes, everything should go into patchnote, but it's not really their fault because some things disappear.
    And sometimes it's not patchnote, it's just... yes, bugs.