Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 221 released (lockdown)

Comments

• ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Not a fan of skulk bite in this current build as it is far too easy to land bites. I didn't really have any issues biting in 220 and right now it's even easier than 219.

Fade changes are also bad, for reasons already stated by others.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1984577:date=Sep 29 2012, 02:58 PM:name=-Mike-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (-Mike- @ Sep 29 2012, 02:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1984577"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You are probably taking your data from comp. players, but in reality, in pub games (Which I play alot) the sad truth is aliens loose alot.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Are you joking? They don't listen to comp players at all -- all the alien nerfs have come about because they're trying to balance the game for public games, by looking at the win/loss stats from public play and probably some other useless stats they have.

Winning as aliens in comp play is nigh-impossible at the moment.
  • bLink`bLink` Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146506Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2012
    Rofl-butt is gone :[ it's useless now, it should atleast just do a knock-back. Nerfing fade was unnecessary. I wish you can blink left, right, or backwards though...

& oh.

Onos is so LOUD! LOL.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    why they felt the need to change it is beyond me. it's so frustrating, why do they hate good movement so much? without infinite adren fades were feeling real good last build.
  • arnyboy87arnyboy87 Join Date: 2012-08-13 Member: 155551Members
    I am sure this is mentiond in here somewhere but I want my spore damage so show on my reticle again please :P :x
  • deaglecrazydeaglecrazy Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73106Members
    Do spores do any damage at all?!?! I went to explore mode (AWESOME update btw), spawned a marine and just sat on his head releasing all the spores I could and it didn't seem to damage him AT ALL :S

Is this just me or what, no damage indicator, no coughing noise, and when looking at him his health doesn't show its decreasing what so ever >< :(
  • SkiTSkiT Join Date: 2012-05-22 Member: 152452Members
    edited September 2012
    Nerf the range of the rifle butt is a good idea, but remove the stun is not..
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1984431:date=Sep 29 2012, 01:12 AM:name=comp_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (comp_ @ Sep 29 2012, 01:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1984431"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Seems like a good patch, although I just played a few rounds. One thing I'm sure though, I don't like the new blink. I was having so much fun with the old blink + celerity combination, now blink feels really slow, lost it's old fun.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

interesting to read that. i had more fun with the new blink. made me watch my energy and be even more carefully with my engagements. try: shadow step -> blink.
  • SkugganSkuggan Join Date: 2010-03-19 Member: 71017Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1984610:date=Sep 29 2012, 05:18 PM:name=Sewlek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sewlek @ Sep 29 2012, 05:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1984610"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->interesting to read that. i had more fun with the new blink. made me watch my energy and be even more carefully with my engagements. try: shadow step -> blink.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why was it even changed? The 220 blink was awesome?
  • elmo9000elmo9000 Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149324Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1984610:date=Sep 29 2012, 06:18 PM:name=Sewlek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sewlek @ Sep 29 2012, 06:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1984610"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->try: shadow step -> blink.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Cancels out all the velocity i build up with shadowstep - jump - shadowstep, and eats my adrenaline?

Also, please fix shadowstep bug that causes it to randomly not work at all with a single click. Its even more annoying now as you cant use blink for quick getaway, but have to try and rely on the random on-off shadowstep.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
  • SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Still waiting to be able to bind what I want to mouse wheel. I need to unbind the weapon change from it. As long as I can't do that, I can't really play without menumod. And since menumod is out of order for a while, I'll have to take a break.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1984619:date=Sep 29 2012, 04:33 PM:name=Skie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skie @ Sep 29 2012, 04:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1984619"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Still waiting to be able to bind what I want to mouse wheel. I need to unbind the weapon change from it. As long as I can't do that, I can't really play without menumod. And since menumod is out of order for a while, I'll have to take a break.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's such a shame that they don't listen. I tried telling Max that instituting a consistency check like this while the game still has basic issues that we currently have to rely on mods to fix, is a really bad idea. I guess he disagreed.
  • KasperleKasperle Join Date: 2004-09-29 Member: 31990Members
    skulkbite seems to be fine now.
    But blink feels kinda useless. I used shadowstep alot in combat, thats why i cant understand the reasoning (Disabled initial blink force, to give Fades a reason to use shadow step as well). Blink -> shadowstep is not viable, jump -> shadowstep is far more effective... in combat aswell for moving through the map. Blink maybe helpfull in combat against JPs ... the problem is, that it drains too much energy. The gained momentum with blink is not enough compared to shadowstep.
    In my opinion, u changed blink because u wanna force the fades to use adrenalin more often then celerity.

Gonna be fun to watch the fades in todays tournament.
  • LigisttomtenLigisttomten Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158340Members
    The new Onos sound: LOL! Scary as hell now, I hope this isn't a bug and stays in game.

The nerfed blink makes me a really sad panda, the momentum blink was amazing.
  • EgoGamerEgoGamer Join Date: 2012-06-21 Member: 153536Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Have to agree about the new blink, feels pretty sluggish. But that's coming from a random pub scrub, shall wait and see what the competitive teams make of it tonight.

Also, servers with consistency check enabled puts far too much waiting time between map changes. Is there a way to streamline the process, such as having it check only when you first join the server or when you first boot the game up? Or would that leave it open to abuse?
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    edited September 2012
    Thanks for the hard work UWE. I appreciate all patches, but your honestly breaking what is fixed (fade blink) and not fixing what needs fixing (walljump). Your next few patches will really decide if the main competitive format of NS2 is going to be NS2c or vanilla NS2. I honestly don't see you competing with NS2c in the slightest, which is a shame cause a fragmented community will just not last as long.

<!--quoteo(post=1984552:date=Sep 29 2012, 10:51 PM:name=male_fatalities)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (male_fatalities @ Sep 29 2012, 10:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1984552"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fade movement was the only thing done right and U broke it on purpose to make shadow step more used.. Retarded. News flash, shadow step was already amazing... Please revert fade movement.

Uwe, I really feel you don't have the understanding to implement a movement based skill for the alien class and need input from experienced ns1 players. Its obvious the persons in charge of movement don't understand what we are requesting or have the actual game skill/experience in what their trying to implement.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    So now we have information on how much damage we do. I think it only makes sense when you actually make some kind of points by hitting. But we still don't have Res for Kill. Pleeeease add it, it will bring more dynamic gameplay. And rewards for players.
  • arnyboy87arnyboy87 Join Date: 2012-08-13 Member: 155551Members
    Oh sumthing else I love its the bar showing how long u need to hold E to destroy the clogs lol funny thing is I didn't know it had a timer on it before this patch and I was spamming E trying to kill it :P
  • Volvox GlobatorVolvox Globator Join Date: 2010-11-21 Member: 75135Members
    This is the worst build since a long time.
    Menu background is ###### up and I can't join a single server. "Client and Server Version differs"
    File verification and reinstall didn't help a bit.
    Lockdown indeed.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1984610:date=Sep 29 2012, 11:18 AM:name=Sewlek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sewlek @ Sep 29 2012, 11:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1984610"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->interesting to read that. i had more fun with the new blink. made me watch my energy and be even more carefully with my engagements. try: shadow step -> blink.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Shimmel, do you know what happened with the shadows fade option? I miss it!
  • BurzghashBurzghash Join Date: 2012-09-25 Member: 160742Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Excellent patch overall, incredibly pleased.

Skulk bite being fixed is amazing.
    New lerk is awesome and not a detriment/waste to the team.
    Fade blink is exactly where it needs to be now. The old fade was a completely broken powerhouse, that required no skill whatsoever - a decent fade could simply keep momentum-blinking around the room, causing marines to simply waste ammo til they run out, and pick them off one by one with little effort. Now fades actually have to think when they attack, and can't move in completely erratic ways turning on a dime. You're going to have people crying and whining about no longer having their game-over class, but this is better for balance. Kudos.
  • KasperleKasperle Join Date: 2004-09-29 Member: 31990Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1984619:date=Sep 29 2012, 11:33 AM:name=Skie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skie @ Sep 29 2012, 11:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1984619"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Still waiting to be able to bind what I want to mouse wheel. I need to unbind the weapon change from it. As long as I can't do that, I can't really play without menumod. And since menumod is out of order for a while, I'll have to take a break.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, UWE relies on the server admins to change the check, so we can play with decent keybindings and server browser :D . I played one hour today with the keybindings that ns2 provides and gave up. I am just not used to it ... i often switched my weapon while attacking because i used to use mousewheel for jump. So horrible. And i dont see why i should try to get used to a flaud keybinding implementation. Lets hope the server admins whitelist menumod asap. I wouldnt play in the tournament, if the server dont allow menumod... even though there are some crashes caused by menumod this build. I wouldnt mind the crashes if it means that i can use decent keybindings.

*edit* @Volvox Globator, dont start ns2 with menumod ;) . Its the consistency check that kicks u from the servers.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1984582:date=Sep 29 2012, 02:05 PM:name=Dictator93)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dictator93 @ Sep 29 2012, 02:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1984582"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is there any reason why they got rid of the shadowsfade option? I have a comp that is good enough to play with out shadows fading and would prefer that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Max is working on a different setting, it will go from Low to High (High or perhaps Ultra? will probably have the shadow fade again, I can't be certain about this though and maybe Max has something completely different up his sleeve :P

I also turned off shadow fading, but turning something off in a graphics menu is kinda counter intuitive as you'd expect "on" being the higher setting
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1984643:date=Sep 30 2012, 02:04 AM:name=Burzghash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Burzghash @ Sep 30 2012, 02:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1984643"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You're going to have people crying and whining about no longer having their game-over class, but this is better for balance. Kudos.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No.

Competitive players are the ones whinging about fade blink. You don't get it, we don't want it to be overpowered cause we also have to play against the OP fade when we play marines. We want it to be as balanced and have a skill ceiling as high as possible... 220 had the best version of fade blink to date and they ###### it just cause they want shadow step to be used more.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Disabled initial blink force, to give Fades a <b>reason to use shadow step as well</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Best reason ever to break something everyone was happy with.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2012
    Well... Fade shadowstep+blink speed bursting was a tad bit overpowered now wasn't it male_fatalities and the nearly unlimited flying fade stuff as well ;)

Personally I think the blink boost nerf is a bit too much... I would've rather seen a bigger energy drain so we have energy conservation play against reloading as it should be and also eliminating double speed bursts from the combo...

speedbursting is now "fixed", but at the cost of breaking blink too much...
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1984652:date=Sep 30 2012, 02:10 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Sep 30 2012, 02:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1984652"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well... Fade shadowstep+blink speed bursting was a tad bit overpowered now wasn't it male_fatalities and the nearly unlimited flying fade stuff as well ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

TBH mate, it really wasn't. You can still fly around unlimited anyway with a combo of shadow step 45 degrees up + jump + double jump. I'm yet to run out of energy in 221 using this technique. I only EVER blink now in combat and that is straight up to disorientate.

I just do not understand why they are mucking around with something like this... are their people complaining about fade blink?

I consider the fade to be quite balanced, the problem is the tech explosion aliens get at 8-10 minutes.
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    Shadowstep was fine
    Fade was the only life form that didn't feel like it needed some drastic buff/change
    now it's ruined
    FFS
    Sorry to be rude but do UWE's playtesters do anything other than bugfix?
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Nothing like waking up the day after a patch release and enjoying the comics of the forums :P A lot of valid points in here, but again so much negativity, how do you expect to be heard when you phrase your responses so harshly? Cant we all just be a little more civil? Also showing numbers, examples of why a change is bad and some details as to what you think would help fix it goes a long way.

As always, I like many others value everyone's feedback, but come on be a little nicer guys.
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1984654:date=Sep 29 2012, 04:18 PM:name=male_fatalities)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (male_fatalities @ Sep 29 2012, 04:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1984654"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->TBH mate, it really wasn't. You can still fly around unlimited anyway with a combo of shadow step 45 degrees up + jump + double jump. I'm yet to run out of energy in 221 using this technique. I only EVER blink now in combat and that is straight up to disorientate.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Speedbursting got you up to speeds ~30 for short periods, adding the rest of what you and I just said isn't overpowered? Not even a tiny bit :D ?

[edit]
    That's why I would love to see this take into the realm of energy conservation instead of messing with Fade movement (less boost makes me a sad Fade :( )