Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 221 released (lockdown)

FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds EntertainmentSan Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
Please post comments on the topic Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 221 released (lockdown) here

Comments

• ChickenOfWarChickenOfWar Join Date: 2003-04-09 Member: 15352Members
    I like wall jump already
  • SquishyOneSquishyOne Join Date: 2005-01-11 Member: 34963Members
    So... No skulk fix? The fact that 220's patchnotes claim that skulk bite in ns2 is now like ns1 was makes me think whoever controls skulk bite range either didn't play ns1 or doesn't play ns2...
  • FlipperFlipper Join Date: 2012-08-08 Member: 155120Members
    It all looks good...

EXCEPT: no rifle but stun :( why?
  • ED0ggYED0ggY Join Date: 2003-06-08 Member: 17103Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thanks for adding a framerate counter to the options screen, It's good to know I'm pulling 100fps when I'm turning off commander help.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Great, aside from the fact my game freezes on "downloading mods" when joining a server.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1984361:date=Sep 29 2012, 12:41 PM:name=ChickenOfWar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChickenOfWar @ Sep 29 2012, 12:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1984361"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I like wall jump already<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm very disappointed. Unless there is something i'm doing wrong, the speed cap is way to low and you have to look down to get speed.

UWE don't get it.

edited:

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=Comprox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Comprox)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->most of the work done on wall jump did not make it into this patch as it was not ready.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1984374:date=Sep 28 2012, 08:04 PM:name=male_fatalities)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (male_fatalities @ Sep 28 2012, 08:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1984374"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm very disappointed. Unless there is something i'm doing wrong, the speed cap is way to low and you have to look down to get speed.

UWE don't get it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

most of the work done on wall jump did not make it into this patch as it was not ready.
  • ED0ggYED0ggY Join Date: 2003-06-08 Member: 17103Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2012
    Few more issues,

Everyone in the server that i was in, had "No Name" but when typing it was fine,

also no Cross Hairs for Skulk Parasite, i hear that their isn't any for marines either.

and no score board when you hit tab

*Edit* must have been server, jumped into another server and all is fine.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Welcome to the Ready Room?
    Really?
  • ChickenOfWarChickenOfWar Join Date: 2003-04-09 Member: 15352Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1984374:date=Sep 28 2012, 11:04 PM:name=male_fatalities)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (male_fatalities @ Sep 28 2012, 11:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1984374"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm very disappointed. Unless there is something i'm doing wrong, the speed cap is way to low and you have to look down to get speed.

UWE don't get it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It propels you upward but yeah it still feels a little slow. At least in combination with leap or cele you can actually jump from wall to wall in a hallway now.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1984376:date=Sep 29 2012, 01:10 PM:name=Comprox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Comprox @ Sep 29 2012, 01:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1984376"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->most of the work done on wall jump did not make it into this patch as it was not ready.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks comprox. Good to have this confirmed
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    Was the fix for skulk bite just omitted from the change list or missed from the patch?
  • deaglecrazydeaglecrazy Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73106Members
    edited September 2012
    ooo time to try this out! sooo excited for the final release! already convinced a least 3 pple to buy a copy but pple keep asking "whens it coming out" and im sick of saying "dunno sometime in october" lol

Edit:

Is it just me or when you click mods are all the names blank?
  • EißfeldtEißfeldt Join Date: 2012-08-15 Member: 155658Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Removed rifle butt stun effects and reduced range to be slightly shorter than skulk bite.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Awww yeah!
  • rhombusrhombus Lerk Queen Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106055Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1984378:date=Sep 28 2012, 11:13 PM:name=Jekt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jekt @ Sep 28 2012, 11:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1984378"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Welcome to the Ready Room?
    Really?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You have no idea.. :\
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    No changes to turrets?
    Highly disapoint.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2012
    Explore mode is pretty slick. Glad to not have to use all sorts of cheats to jump in and try out changes anymore, lol.

I love that shadow step propels you in the direction you're facing now(is that from 221?). Not wild about the way Blink feels though. No propulsion means you're only using it for continuous blinks, but it drains energy super fast for how slow it moves. Shadow step should be used for energy efficiency, you don't have to nerf Blink physics to accomplish that.
  • RustInPiecesRustInPieces Join Date: 2008-10-15 Member: 65210Members
    edited September 2012
    Great patch notes (I'm so happy AoE Nutrient Mist is back) but
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Renamed Infestation Spike to Bone Wall for clarity.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is supposed to be Natural Selection 2, not Diablo 2 lol
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Ninja patch release :)
  • GarfuGarfu Join Date: 2012-02-12 Member: 145170Members
    Great patch. Alien is fun again.
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    wow the games feels so smooth, its feels totally different. Like all the movement in the game is so fluid.

wow..... I really like this.
  • Gravity GraveGravity Grave California Join Date: 2012-03-10 Member: 148556Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2012
    Love the new fade movement. Feels a lot more balanced.

Possible bugs I've found:
    1) You can no longer tell which upgrades are researching at buildings -- I see the indicator showing how long it takes but nothing saying what's researching.
    2) The art for alien health and armor may be swapped? The heart-looking thing is on armor, and the plus sign is on health. Seems like it should be opposite.

Still no way to look at server list when currently connected to server??

Also, bite cone of skulk was fixed, but I didn't see that in the patch notes.
  • XeiZXeiZ Join Date: 2012-04-13 Member: 150384Members
    Nice Build so far but is it me or is playing with a higher ping (lets say 125~) getting worse every build now? I almost only play on us server from the eu and couple of builds ago it was just fine but now it seems that my fps drop alot more when my ping is higher. Cpu is also running @100% on core0 (amd x6 on 3,8ghz).
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    So then I unsubscribed to all the mods, tried joining the all in #1 server and got the client and server differ from game problem.

Fun. I guess I'll try playing tomorrow.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1984382:date=Sep 29 2012, 03:20 AM:name=hakenspit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hakenspit @ Sep 29 2012, 03:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1984382"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Was the fix for skulk bite just omitted from the change list or missed from the patch?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, the skulk bite cone was widened and should be much better now, but that must have been accidentally left out of the patchnotes.

--Cory
  • RyneRyne Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147408Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1984410:date=Sep 28 2012, 08:34 PM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Sep 28 2012, 08:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1984410"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So then I unsubscribed to all the mods, tried joining the all in #1 server and got the client and server differ from game problem.

Fun. I guess I'll try playing tomorrow.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

All-In servers are working for me. I have whitelisted the minimal alien vision mod on it as well.
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1984390:date=Sep 28 2012, 11:41 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Sep 28 2012, 11:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1984390"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I love that shadow step propels you in the direction you're facing now(is that from 221?). Not wild about the way Blink feels though. No propulsion means you're only using it for continuous blinks, but it drains energy super fast for how slow it moves. Shadow step should be used for energy efficiency, you don't have to nerf Blink physics to accomplish that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wow.

Edit: So I decided to give 221 a go since I skip all of 220 cause borderlands 2 and torchlight 2 has been occupying my free time. Played one game as aliens, I'll pass on playing any more.

Skulk feels like and plays like a fat dog that have been fed a strict diet of little debbie cakes. It's like they removed the slowdown on carapace and just made it baseline on all lifeforms instead. Wall jump, good god what an abomination that is.

Playing a Fade gave me a good laugh, because it's gotten so bad. Nerfing blink so people would use shadow step more, and nerfing it even more because using it effectively (initial blink thrust) meant that the new joke adren upgrade wasn't needed. The back and forth between shadow step and blink in the end has butchered any fun the fade had. Now we're left with two barely useful abilities on their own instead of just removing shadow step completely, making blink a proper ability and bringing back metabolize or acid rockets... But no, let Fades have less than what they had in NS1 and let their game play suffer. I still used celerity over adren because the extra energy makes nothing as fades are pieces of paper; health will go down faster because you can even use the extra energy.

No idea about lerks or onos. Not going to touch those two with a 10 foot pole. I've seen no actual improvements towards gameplay for them. It's a bunch of number changes that is completely meaningless in the end because the root problem lies in their terrible tech line.

Summary: Aliens feel like slugs. Gameplay contains zero enjoyment as it is still an empty shell of it's former glory in NS1.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    questions...

1. in the trailer there was a map previewed with flowing lava? i guess this will come after release?

2. Babbler ability for crags? was this done away with or is it a planned upgrade for later?

3. in NS1 i loved the lifts, combining lifts with power nodes i could see some intense gameplay involving them, will we get lifts and working trams at a later date?
  • Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2012
    1. I've run across a couple games where the orange and blue circles from the ready room (the ones that tell you where the doors are and how many players there are) remain on the screen even after the map starts and don't disappear until the game ends, we go to the ready room, and a new game starts.

2. Lerk is interesting. I think I like the changes, but more testing is required.

3. MACs still need a little bit of a nerf (not sure in what way exactly, maybe some kind of cap so marines can't have 5+ MACs per exo). MAC trains are still strong for supporting exos. Even with 3-4 gorges bilebombing, we couldn't hit them all to keep them from repairing.

4. Not sure what I think of the FT DoT damage increase, but I do NOT like the change to the cost if it's so "new players don't think it's "better" than the GL".... *facepalm*

5. As alien, sometimes the little lockout symbol for slots on the upgrades screen is borked. As in we have 2 hives, but it only shows 1 slot open, it shows more slots open than we have hives, it shows the shift slot open when we have crag upgrades. Other things like that.

6. As alien, when healing yourself (not sure if it does this when healing anything/anyone else) if you watch your health bar and numbers, they will rise during the spray, but then fall down after the spray ends. Just sitting still and healing myself, I was healing ~10 armour per spray. If this is the correct healing amount, then the health bar/numbers should be changed so that they do not go higher than you actually healed. If the heal should be healing more, then by all means, fix it :).

Overall, I feel that this patch is MUCH better than 220.

I'd still like to see some improvement on wall jump and I still feel that JPs are a bit too strong (not sure if a change is in the pipes or not). And some way for the alien khamm to tell what upgrades have been researched/lost would be amazing. Maybe a side bar that has the symbols light up when the upgrades are active and darkened when they're not built/destroyed?

Oh, and Xenocide, please make it worth using? Atm, it does not even close to enough damage to warrant a death and thus less pres gain.