Marine movement

Comments

• BeelzebubBeelzebub Join Date: 2012-08-12 Member: 155506Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1983319:date=Sep 26 2012, 01:15 PM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Sep 26 2012, 01:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1983319"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->go youtube tumbling, parkour etc. Humans are capable of more than you think.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thats fine, and i think the physics behind the running over objects works really well in this game. But if you're going to say something like that, people don't jump using just the strength of their feet. People jump by crouching and springing their legs. Since you obviously can't make marines have to crouch before jumping, making so repeatable jumping is more difficult is the next best thing. And i have to say ive done some crazy in game parkour to avoid skulks i.e jumping over command chairs, up boxes and over railings. And if you look at these guys doing parkour they wear about the most unconstricting clothes you can find. Aint nobody runnin around in suits of armor... just sayin

And hey ok so not ALL realism works in a game but you can't let it get out of control. Or it just feels like you're not even playing as a marine or human anymore, and without that feel you might as well be playing something that doesnt use humans at all for combat. Lets all be androids! or... CYBERMEN!
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1983324:date=Sep 27 2012, 03:25 AM:name=Beelzebub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Beelzebub @ Sep 27 2012, 03:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1983324"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thats fine, and i think the physics behind the running over objects works really well in this game. But if you're going to say something like that, people don't jump using just the strength of their feet. People jump by crouching and springing their legs. Since you obviously can't make marines have to crouch before jumping, making so repeatable jumping is more difficult is the next best thing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    10 seconds on youtube yielded me this.
    <center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/j-CBAA6jUFo"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/j-CBAA6jUFo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
    The only reason jumping has diminishing returns and bhop is impossible is because of <b>gameplay</b>.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And if you look at these guys doing parkour they wear about the most unconstricting clothes you can find. Aint nobody runnin around in suits of armor... just sayin<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Like i said, nanite steroids. Or just alot of muscle conditioning. Both are entirely possible. *edit* or nanite flexible armour.

Usually i ignore these 'realism' based arguements against marine movement, but i've reached the point where i had to show that even on this basis they arn't valid.
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    edited September 2012
    knights have been trained to jump up on horses and their armour weighs nothing compared to what soldiers lug around in the modern times. Nanocarbon armour weighs less than a winter coat and that's what the marines in NS2 wear most likely, it's also incredibly elastic and similar to leather. But like I said; realism in video games, a subject that is better left not talked about.
    So if realism is so bad in a game, why is there gravity? Why physics at all? Why stop at one point but not another? Where is the fine line between realism is a good thing or a bad thing in a game. This is up to the developers to decide I suppose. The fact is you HAVE to have some sort of realism in a game or your just gonna end up playing GMOD.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    I think quite a few people began online gaming with titled like Quake and Unreal Tournament. So those games might have set a player movement standard.
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    edited September 2012
    Omg all that realism talk..

If you really want to talk realism, can you imagine during their training how much asskicking these soldiers would have gotten if they moved backwards so slow? ;)
    <!--quoteo(post=1983331:date=Sep 26 2012, 01:46 PM:name=Beelzebub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Beelzebub @ Sep 26 2012, 01:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1983331"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So if realism is so bad in a game, why is there gravity? Why physics at all? Why stop at one point but not another? Where is the fine line between realism is a good thing or a bad thing in a game. This is up to the developers to decide I suppose. The fact is you HAVE to have some sort of realism in a game or your just gonna end up playing GMOD.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

are you saying that gmod is bad and a sandbox game where you spawn objects can't exist because all games have to be realistic? Or that games with really drastic changes to physics over real life such as Tribes or Gunz can't exist either? Yes you can have an in-between there are two sides to the spectrum, on one end you have "movie realism" games and simulators, on the other end you have games like Quake and UT. And in the middle you have games like CS. But it doesn't make sense for one type of game to be more like the other by taking away key mechanics. You can't have iron sights in quake and bhop in CoD and have them still good. Even though ironically, both games run on the same engine and CoD does have momentum inheritance by airstrafing and distance gaining by circle jumping, which actually gives the movement a higher skill ceiling than NS2 currently has...
    What im saying is, this game doesn't have the FEEL of a quake or Tribes game. I don't believe it should either. For a game like that to work you would need.. both teams to be exactly the same. How often do you even come across an online FPS game with 2 sides that are not the same? Hell the only ones i could think of right offhand would be Aliens or AvP and L4D. Possibly some random HL mods here and there. Did they feel like you should be playing with the movements of these massively overdone games? So why should this one?
  • ChickenOfWarChickenOfWar Join Date: 2003-04-09 Member: 15352Members
    edited September 2012
    Thanks for quoting me out of context before elodia, a few of those are referring to marine jump being too easy to utilize and others were referring to how marines shouldn't be able to run backwards at full speed and shoot or bhop. Good effort though, must've taken forever to make all those quotes.

To hell with all this crap about realism, marines walk backwards slowly because of balance and it feels more <b>authentic</b>. This isn't a game where marines should be running around alone taking on several aliens at once. This game is supposed to incorporate strategy elements, where perhaps a starcraft 2 player can be just as effective (if not moreso hopefully) as some call of duty kiddy that wants to jump and run around like a fool.

Marines should have to make the choice between retreating to a more secure position by turning tail and sprinting or they should choose to stand and fight. If marines could run backward at full speed, they wouldn't have to make that choice.

Ironically most of you 'competitive players' want to lower the skill ceiling it would seem.
    <!--quoteo(post=1983349:date=Sep 26 2012, 02:19 PM:name=Beelzebub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Beelzebub @ Sep 26 2012, 02:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1983349"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What im saying is, this game doesn't have the FEEL of a quake or Tribes game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    NS1 did.
    <!--quoteo(post=1983349:date=Sep 26 2012, 02:19 PM:name=Beelzebub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Beelzebub @ Sep 26 2012, 02:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1983349"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How often do you even come across an online FPS game with 2 sides that are not the same?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    NS1 was one.
    <!--quoteo(post=1983349:date=Sep 26 2012, 02:19 PM:name=Beelzebub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Beelzebub @ Sep 26 2012, 02:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1983349"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hell the only ones i could think of right offhand would be Aliens or AvP and L4D. Possibly some random HL mods here and there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Like NS1.
    <!--quoteo(post=1983349:date=Sep 26 2012, 02:19 PM:name=Beelzebub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Beelzebub @ Sep 26 2012, 02:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1983349"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Did they feel like you should be playing with the movements of these massively overdone games? So why should this one?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    NS1 did, that's why NS2 should as well. NS2 is not L4D, it is not AvP, it is NS2. They have already not made most of the sales that they would have from their original playerbase by not sticking to what worked and wanting to change things. the early days of NS1 "best all time implementation of bhop in a shooter", ""possibly the most ambitious user-made modification ever brought to fruition", are long gone and over. So is the era of amazing and creative half life mods. Just because we can choose to accept it, doesn't mean we have to.
  • comp_comp_ Join Date: 2011-06-27 Member: 106656Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1983303:date=Sep 26 2012, 11:45 AM:name=ChickenOfWar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChickenOfWar @ Sep 26 2012, 11:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1983303"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Making the game easier to play will ALWAYS be a good thing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think Einstein's phrase goes right with this topic:

''Things should be as simple as possible, but no simpler"

I understand developers modifying movement to make the basic idea more "intuitive", easier to grasp, but doesn't mean they should dumb it down (and I'm talking both about alien and marine movement).

I don't think anybody wants to see marines bunnyhopping around like quake, imagine marines going around at 20 speed, that would totally break the game, I think nobody argues that, but I believe a bhop like the one present in ns1 was ideal. It allowed players to reach tricky spots or gain a little speed without being detrimental to gameplay, and it was mainly FUN. TF2 has no bhop (or it's so limited that it doesn't make much sense to lose your time practicing it), but having a hl2dm background (where bhop was present) I still jump around for the sake of it. In ns2 I can't even make consecutive jumps lol.
  • RanemanRaneman Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69962Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1983316:date=Sep 26 2012, 11:06 AM:name=Beelzebub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Beelzebub @ Sep 26 2012, 11:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1983316"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Humans should have HUMAN like movement, and aliens should have animal/alien like movement. Thats really ALL there is to it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Fairly sure most humans can backpedal at a pretty good speed, especially fit and trained soldiers. I'm not that fit and I can run backwards. Add on around 30kg of equipment or so (how much do the nanites cover again?) and I can probably backpedal at about twice the speed one can in-game.
    <!--quoteo(post=1983363:date=Sep 26 2012, 03:21 PM:name=NeoRussia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoRussia @ Sep 26 2012, 03:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1983363"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS1 did.

NS1 was one.

Like NS1.

NS1 did, that's why NS2 should as well. NS2 is not L4D, it is not AvP, it is NS2. They have already not made most of the sales that they would have from their original playerbase by not sticking to what worked and wanting to change things. the early days of NS1 "best all time implementation of bhop in a shooter", ""possibly the most ambitious user-made modification ever brought to fruition", are long gone and over. So is the era of amazing and creative half life mods. Just because we can choose to accept it, doesn't mean we have to.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes NS2 is not L4D. NS2 is not AvP. But most of all NS2 is NOT NS1. Bhop is an antiquated semi-exploit of an old engine. Its good for nostalgia purposes, nothing else. NS2 is already more successful and popular than NS1 ever was. Bringing in something like bunny hopping would be the equivalent of bringing in something like running faster when you sidestep against a wall. Another HL1 engine favorite.

Who exactly are you quoting with that bhop comment? Yourself?

Get with the times. NS1 is another game.
    <!--quoteo(post=1983367:date=Sep 26 2012, 03:29 PM:name=Raneman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Raneman @ Sep 26 2012, 03:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1983367"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fairly sure most humans can backpedal at a pretty good speed, especially fit and trained soldiers. I'm not that fit and I can run backwards. Add on around 30kg of equipment or so (how much do the nanites cover again?) and I can probably backpedal at about twice the speed one can in-game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Okay, now trying being accurate with a gun with a gun while doing it. Or not tripping over your own feet as you concentrate on trying to shoot the monster running at you.

What one can do in real life has no relation to what someone should (or should not) be able to do in a video game.

Authenticity over realism.
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Can't people find another game that's "not NS1" to ruin instead? :(
  • saltybp53saltybp53 Join Date: 2010-07-22 Member: 72675Members
    So I've been reading this whole thread and you guys went from insults to realism arguments...

What do you guys want again? I'm pretty lost between you "veterans" arguing over things that are already stated to be fixed.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    edited September 2012
    **Be nice** --Zaggy
    <!--quoteo(post=1983408:date=Sep 26 2012, 05:24 PM:name=male_fatalities)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (male_fatalities @ Sep 26 2012, 05:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1983408"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So sit down, shutup and stop trying to have your say in a ns1/competitive players thread.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Pretty sure this thread is about marine player movements, not about competitive playing or even NS1 at all.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1983376:date=Sep 26 2012, 08:53 PM:name=ChickenOfWar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChickenOfWar @ Sep 26 2012, 08:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1983376"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Its good for nostalgia purposes, nothing else.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No. Kudos though, it's almost impressive how you've managed to stay completely ignorant even after 20+ threads and hundreds of posts on this forum stating exactly why bunnyhop is good.

<!--quoteo(post=1983376:date=Sep 26 2012, 08:53 PM:name=ChickenOfWar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChickenOfWar @ Sep 26 2012, 08:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1983376"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS2 is already more successful and popular than NS1 ever was.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No. Maybe want to check the actual numbers before you make an ass of yourself. Too late now though!
  • comp_comp_ Join Date: 2011-06-27 Member: 106656Members
    Please people, I don't agree at all with what "ChickenOfWar" is arguing (or some other people), but let's keep the discussion rational and respectful. If we start calling names and doing stuff like that it's detrimental to both sides.
  • DanielDDanielD Join Date: 2010-11-16 Member: 74960Members
    Making the game easier is NOT always better, because higher skill ceilings make for more entertaining spectating, which is where a lot of the money is/will be in video games.

People are way too rude here though.
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1983417:date=Sep 26 2012, 05:49 PM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Sep 26 2012, 05:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1983417"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No. Kudos though, it's almost impressive how you've managed to stay completely ignorant even after 20+ threads and hundreds of posts on this forum stating exactly why bunnyhop is good.

No. Maybe want to check the actual numbers before you make an ass of yourself. Too late now though!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Way to be constructive and not nitpick at all. lol you basically said "No, you are wrong." You're really convincing everyone here with your lack of sources and subjective opinions =P

If you really gave a ###### you'd refresh everyone's memories on why the 15 year old mechanic that is bhop belongs in this modern game.

Then again at the same time I think someone who's made an NS1 trick jumping video would be a little bit biased on the matter! Think ill take what you say with a grain of salt.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2012
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1983655:date=Sep 27 2012, 10:10 PM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Sep 27 2012, 10:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1983655"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Whatever...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

HAHAHA I would love to know what you were going to say
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2012
    Was it that funny? :P
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    All these wizards are so good seeing the future that they know how realistic future is.

Immersion and realism are for people who cannot comprehend game mechanics or be arsed to learn them.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1983517:date=Sep 27 2012, 02:46 AM:name=ChickenOfWar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChickenOfWar @ Sep 27 2012, 02:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1983517"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Way to be constructive and not nitpick at all. lol you basically said "No, you are wrong." You're really convincing everyone here with your lack of sources and subjective opinions =P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm not trying to convince anybody, nor do I have any need to in this particular matter. You've posted a bunch of lies and I've corrected you. The burden of proof is on you, to prove your original statements -- maybe you'll even learn something in the process.

If you want to educate yourself on bunnyhopping, <a href="http://www.ninelegends.com/the-argument-for-bunnyhopping/" target="_blank">this is a good place to start</a>. The next step is using forum search, which is something you should've already done before posting your original reply.
    edited September 2012
    Its offtopic, but <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWj2mc9u5vc&feature=player_embedded#" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWj2mc9u5vc...layer_embedded#</a>! in this creative movement example - is it because of the demo, or didnt you have to aim directly at marines to land bites if you are close enough?
  • coldsmokecoldsmoke Join Date: 2004-07-28 Member: 30202Members
    need bhop back, skulks need it more than ever now
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2012
    A combination of wall + ground hopping for movement bonus would be swell. Skulks definitely need it, but they also need their bite cone fixed. (Since one could argue currently that skulk play takes both ridiculous precise aim AND movement, putting it at a severe disadvantage versus ranged marines who only need to practice their aim)

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->or didnt you have to aim directly at marines to land bites if you are close enough?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--> You never had afaik, getting close enough and just getting the marine somewhat on screen (the demo may be a little misleading in this however) was good enough to land bites. It's like somebody said: marines needed aiming and aliens, due to their melee nature, needed movement skill. It balanced the engagements out, very different from what we see in NS2 today. Aliens need aiming and movement, but the aiming is ridiculous and the movement not very skill-based.