Extra copy of NS2

Nathan556Nathan556 Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159400Members
Today i saw that i had recieved one new steam item, when i saw that it was for NS2 i thought it was some type of upgrade to the Black armour in-game (because i remember reading that everyone who bought NS2 previosly would get it), so i immediatly used the item on myself. after checking in game and finding out that i didnt get the armour i looked it up and saw that i had used another copy of NS2 on my steam account, now i cant find anyway to get this copy back.
(yes i know this was pretty stupid on my part)
So, is there anyway i can get that extra copy back or is it gone forever?

Comments

• acare84acare84 Join Date: 2010-05-12 Member: 71731Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1978045:date=Sep 15 2012, 11:28 AM:name=Nathan556)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nathan556 @ Sep 15 2012, 11:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978045"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Today i saw that i had recieved one new steam item, when i saw that it was for NS2 i thought it was some type of upgrade to the Black armour in-game (because i remember reading that everyone who bought NS2 previosly would get it), so i immediatly used the item on myself. after checking in game and finding out that i didnt get the armour i looked it up and saw that i had used another copy of NS2 on my steam account, now i cant find anyway to get this copy back.
    (yes i know this was pretty stupid on my part)
    So, is there anyway i can get that extra copy back or is it gone forever?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You should contact Steam Support about this.

<a href="https://support.steampowered.com/" target="_blank">https://support.steampowered.com/</a>
  • RobbyRobby Sweden Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159687Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--coloro:#98FB98--><span style="color:#98FB98"><!--/coloro-->I'm just popping back here to say that complaining to Valve not only fixes the issue of the extra copy mistakingly added to your own account, but that they put the <u>proper</u> extra copy back into your inventory when doing so; it's actually labeled "Natural Selection 2 Gift" this time and not simply "Natural Selection II Pre-Order".

UW have obviously been blamed for this in Valve's stead as NS2 is their product. Valve is apparently entirely to blame and i frankly think that they owe UW an apology and their customers an explanation on Steam's news-page.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<strike>This is just great!

I also received an extra NS2 item to my Steam inventory, a few days ago, and since it had a name different from the current beta access version of the game ("Natural Selection II Pre-Order" instead of "Natural Selection 2") i thought that the beta version of the game was going to get replaced by this new one. So naturally, i added it to my own account right away.

And right now i see a "Give the gift of game" Update News notification from Steam that says that i've received an additional copy of the game that i can give to a friend! There is no extra copy available in my inventory either!

In other words, they gave us an extra copy of the game several days before we see this notification which explains what it's for!? Many of their customers have likely made the same assumption as i and already added it to their own account!

Great work UW!</strike>
  • Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1978821:date=Sep 16 2012, 08:12 PM:name=Robby)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Robby @ Sep 16 2012, 08:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978821"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In other words, they gave us an extra copy of the game several days before we see this notification which explains what it's for!? Many of their customers have likely made the same assumption as i and already added it to their own account!

Great work UW!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well they did announce that everyone would receive an extra copy of the game almost 2 weeks ago, and many people still haven't gotten the copy yet. Though try and contact either steam support or UWE and this can possibly be straitened out. However the extra ns2 copies being given out have been mentioned in blog posts, forum posts, twitter feed, and facebook statuses, you can't say UWE has not communicated that people who pre-ordered ns2 would be getting an additional copy for a friend.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    <!--quoteo(post=1978855:date=Sep 17 2012, 07:55 AM:name=Heroman117)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Heroman117 @ Sep 17 2012, 07:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978855"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well they did announce that everyone would receive an extra copy of the game almost 2 weeks ago, and many people still haven't gotten the copy yet. Though try and contact either steam support or UWE and this can possibly be straitened out. However the extra ns2 copies being given out have been mentioned in blog posts, forum posts, twitter feed, and facebook statuses, you can't say UWE has not communicated that people who pre-ordered ns2 would be getting an additional copy for a friend.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=1978095:date=Sep 15 2012, 12:18 PM:name=acare84)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (acare84 @ Sep 15 2012, 12:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978095"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You should contact Steam Support about this.

<a href="https://support.steampowered.com/" target="_blank">https://support.steampowered.com/</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ^^
    | |

Is correct
    edited September 2012
    <!--coloro:#98FB98--><span style="color:#98FB98"><!--/coloro-->I'm just popping back here to say that complaining to Valve not only fixes the issue of the extra copy mistakingly added to your own account, but that they put the <u>proper</u> extra copy back into your inventory when doing so; it's actually labeled "Natural Selection 2 Gift" this time and not simply "Natural Selection II Pre-Order".

UW have obviously been blamed for this in Valve's stead as NS2 is their product. Valve is apparently entirely to blame and i frankly think that they owe UW an apology and their customers an explanation on Steam's news-page.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<strike><!--quoteo(post=1978855:date=Sep 17 2012, 07:55 AM:name=Heroman117)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Heroman117 @ Sep 17 2012, 07:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978855"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well they did announce that everyone would receive an extra copy of the game almost 2 weeks ago, and many people still haven't gotten the copy yet. Though try and contact either steam support or UWE and this can possibly be straitened out. However the extra ns2 copies being given out have been mentioned in blog posts, forum posts, twitter feed, and facebook statuses, you can't say UWE has not communicated that people who pre-ordered ns2 would be getting an additional copy for a friend.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=1978862:date=Sep 17 2012, 08:36 AM:name=GISP)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GISP @ Sep 17 2012, 08:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978862"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->^^
    | |

Is correct<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As if you follow the FB and Twitter feeds of every producer of all the games that you've ever purchased via Steam. There was absolutely zero indication of a second copy incoming via any means of communication that is guaranteed to reach all of UW's customers. This is ridiculous.

What's the point with telling your customers important news about your product in places where it's not guaranteed that they'll be? 8630 people are following their Twitter feed, for example. I'd be surprised if that's even 20% of their fan-base. The majority of fans of ANY video-game producer are <u>not</u> following the FB and Twitter feeds of the producer. UW for certain are aware of this.

100% of the fans of NS2 do however use Steam to purchase and/or play it from. Guess where the best coverage is and where the most important place is to announce things in time. We shouldn't have to assume that we won't get important news about our products via the platform that we bought it from!

We didn't receive an e-mail about it and we didn't get notified via Steam in time. It wouldn't had mattered if they hacked every website on the planet to display the announcement, it still doesn't justify not contacting their customers directly via Steam or e-mail. Even if the e-mail would have ended up in my junk-mail i'd accept that it was my fault that i didn't check. This fiasco is however not a matter of me being lazy.

Even if we who have made the assumption that this thread is about and thereby seemingly have lost our second copy to ourselves actually get it back, someone has still made quite a boo-boo that could mean a lot of extra copies lost from a lot of UW's customers. This is obviously not a good thing for either them nor us.

Granted, it's not clear just yet whom's fault this actually is; UW's or Valve's. But the defense that you brought for UW so far is hardly sustainable. They've wasted a lot of energy and time on feeds left and right if this rather important announcement fails to reach every single one of their customers, which it would if there would have been a Steam announcement in conjunction with the release of the second copy, which by the way makes their announcements on all other feeds mere advertisement for potential new customers as opposed to actual announcements to their existing ones!</strike>
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    The extra keys have nothing to do whit the steamsale.
    Its a gift from UWE to all its supporters, who purchaised the game before it went on steam.
    A anouncement of this wasnt evne nessesary, UWE could just have sneaked in the keys in everyones gift baskets.
    But where nice enough to tell us. you must remember that its a tiny indie company, and not a big AAA puplicher whit 100s of people in PR alone.
    Its 1 man, 1 man that does everything and anything PR, and if you ask me, does it realy well.
    Allso, there is no way a tiny company like UWE, gets to do <u>everything</u> right the first time around, hell the big AAA dosnt.
    So all it realy comes down to is that, either you are complaining for the sake of complaining.
    Or you are pissed becouse you didnt check any of the medias, where it was announched, and hastely, and i quote "received an extra NS2 item to my Steam inventory" redeemed it for yourself as soon as you saw it.

So realy, you are mad that you got a free copy of the game, and used it on yourself. And thus wasting time on retrieving the key.
    On that little note i would like to point out that you have spend more time and effort writing your post, then if you had just used <a href="https://support.steampowered.com/" target="_blank">https://support.steampowered.com/</a> in the first place.
  • adrainadrain Join Date: 2003-06-25 Member: 17683Members
    edited September 2012
    I still haven't got my bonus key, yet :(
    I hope it will arrive soon.
    edited September 2012

<strike>GISP, i'm the manager of a large and long-time running Scandinavian clan that gives out games as prizes to our competitions. Having an extra, free copy of NS2 to give to one of our many deserving members ruined due to this fiasco is quite annoying, indeed. This is an excellent game and would have been an excellent opportunity. The extra copy doesn't even have any information in its Library details in Steam. One could at least have hoped for a single sentence that explains what it is. But not even that.

What you think of the one man responsible for informing his customers is irrelevant as he has failed.

It won't be Valve who'll receive the official complaint.</strike>
    edited September 2012

<strike>I've been told that UW apparently don't have any control over when this extra copy is sent out or even what it's title is going to be. This makes me angry with Valve for so many reasons. Way more than i was with UW until i found this out. One reason being that they obviously should give the producers a hell lot more control over their own products than this, and another being that they sure as heck should fix this for us as this is their fault but affects both us and UW.</strike>
    <!--quoteo(post=1979892:date=Sep 19 2012, 02:31 AM:name=Robby)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Robby @ Sep 19 2012, 02:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1979892"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->GISP, i'm the manager of a large and long-time running Scandinavian clan that gives out games as prizes to our competitions. Having an extra, free copy of NS2 to give to one of our many deserving members ruined due to this fiasco is quite annoying, indeed. This is an excellent game and would have been an excellent opportunity. The extra copy doesn't even have any information in its Library details in Steam. One could at least have hoped for a single sentence that explains what it is. But not even that.

What you think of the one man responsible for informing his customers is irrelevant as he has failed.

It won't be Valve who'll receive the official complaint.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    NS2 is just like any other game keys in your inventory, and dosnt have a detailed destription.

<!--quoteo(post=1979926:date=Sep 19 2012, 03:47 AM:name=Robby)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Robby @ Sep 19 2012, 03:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1979926"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've been told that UW apparently don't have any control over when this extra copy is sent out or even what it's title is going to be. This makes me angry with Valve for so many reasons. Way more than i was with UW until i found this out. One reason being that they obviously should give the producers a hell lot more control over their own products than this, and another being that they sure as heck should fix this for us as this is their fault but affects both us and UW.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It is indeed valve that have control over the keys. But again, why the hurry? Any keys granded after NS2 went on steam dosnt grand beta access.
    People have had 2+ years to get into the beta.
    And whitout repeating myself, other playertesters or uwe staff members, for the reasons about em not grading beta access, ill leave it at that.
    But if you are intersted i believe Charlie anwsered why in the live Q&A yesterday. <a href="http://da.twitch.tv/naturalselection2/b/332635710" target="_blank">VOD</a>
  • Hentes18Hentes18 Join Date: 2012-09-22 Member: 160358Members
    Hi.
    Slowly one I bought the game eaten and I am curious about it who they bought it once get plus copy, because everything got to my friend but i yet unfortunately not :(
  • Hunter.S.T.Hunter.S.T. Join Date: 2012-05-26 Member: 152596Members
    lol never seen so many complaints about being given something for free.

"free?? I dont just want it free i want it faster, give it to me now, i still havent recieved it"
    "o wait, i got it for free, and i didnt see any of the hunreds of times it was mentioned in developer interviews, streams of tournaments, forum posts announcing it, forum posts with replys to people who were complaining the didnt have it yet, tweats announcing it, tweats discussing it."

Yeah guys, uwe are such awful people for giving away 45000 copies of their game for free, and only mentioning it 100 times. I dont know how they can sleep at night! :rolleyes:
  • V3N0MV3N0M Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8849Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1981757:date=Sep 22 2012, 10:07 AM:name=Hunter.S.T.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hunter.S.T. @ Sep 22 2012, 10:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1981757"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->lol never seen so many complaints about being given something for free.

"free?? I dont just want it free i want it faster, give it to me now, i still havent recieved it"
    "o wait, i got it for free, and i didnt see any of the hunreds of times it was mentioned in developer interviews, streams of tournaments, forum posts announcing it, forum posts with replys to people who were complaining the didnt have it yet, tweats announcing it, tweats discussing it."

Yeah guys, uwe are such awful people for giving away 45000 copies of their game for free, and only mentioning it 100 times. I dont know how they can sleep at night! :rolleyes:<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And your post is helping how? All you are doing is flaming people also. Either help these people out with some links for them to understand the situation or don't bother posting. what you are doing does not help the NS2 community in anyway.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Just so you guys are aware, I've also not got my free copy, and I got in on the first day of pre-orders way back in the day.

Patience :-)
    <!--quoteo(post=1981829:date=Sep 22 2012, 09:58 PM:name=Obraxis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obraxis @ Sep 22 2012, 09:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1981829"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just so you guys are aware, I've also not got my free copy, and I got in on the first day of pre-orders way back in the day.

Patience :-)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Oh yeah, me to :P
  • TquilaTquila Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70738Members, NS2 Playtester
    Wonder if it's all us with the black armor (those who preordered back in the day), because my bro got it but I havnt either :) Or maybe they are just running a hetz against ud PT's!
  • PhoeBubbaPhoeBubba Join Date: 2012-09-23 Member: 160475Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I preordered back when the Collectors Edition was first announced on the website and while my black armour is appearing in games I've also not received the friend gift copy of the game. I'm perfectly content to remain patient (as I have no friends T_T) just wanted to flag up the issue incase a pattern can be established.
  • GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think everyone can agree that you shouldn't be able to gift yourself your own copy,and that it's sad that it happens. In a perfect world, everyone would receive all the important information they like. However UWE has done what they can, the started the process of giving out the free keys, and it's in the hand of Valve.

If you haven't got your keys, have patience, or complain to valve about a slow service. If you gifted yourself a second key, ask valve customer support. If you didn't see the email about the announcement, maybe your spam folder contains it, or you have selected not to receive such updates.
    edited September 2012

• woodywoody SoCal Woody56 Join Date: 2004-02-14 Member: 26541Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1982016:date=Sep 23 2012, 08:30 AM:name=PhoeBubba)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PhoeBubba @ Sep 23 2012, 08:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1982016"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I preordered back when the Collectors Edition was first announced on the website and while my black armour is appearing in games I've also not received the friend gift copy of the game. I'm perfectly content to remain patient (as I have no friends T_T) just wanted to flag up the issue incase a pattern can be established.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Same here as I have 4 keys so I asked and recieved this a few days ago--------

Ah. We are still working on giving out the free copies. You'll know when they arrive.

-Charlie (@flayra)
  • AsanoAsano Join Date: 2004-01-21 Member: 25560Members, Constellation
    Any news yet? Still haven't got mine :/
  • ZwanZwan Join Date: 2004-09-20 Member: 31823Members
    Yeap still waiting on mine =/

Want to play with friends Q.Q
  • StatycXStatycX Join Date: 2012-11-12 Member: 169918Members
    i still didn't get my extra copy, i got a message that told me i would get a extra copy but never got it :s
  • FootDiveFootDive Join Date: 2012-11-10 Member: 169225Members
    Haven't got mine either.

Trying to be patient but fairly eager to give a copy to a mate of mine.