Gorge Weapon Devour

yehawmcgrawyehawmcgraw Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159694Members
edited September 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
Picture a death squad of marines showing up with granade launchers and shotguns, taking potshots at your hive. You are a skulk, and heroically leap and kill a shotgunner. Shotgun falls to the ground, amongst other marines. It is quickly picked up by one of the reinforcing marines

The problem:
As an alien, you cannot feasibly prevent marines from picking up and reusing an item indefinitely. Admittedly you can guard and wait for the item to degen, but this an unintuitive, unnatural, and usually too impractical. *ain'tNobodyGotTimeForThat.gif*

Solution:
Give gorge a 'digest weapon' ability. Simple point, press e, and nom nom. It puts gorges well-know gastic powers to good use! Fits right in with ns themes! Note this would not be a new ability slot, but a static 'e' use option for gorge.

Variants of this idea:
-Spit/Bilebomb dissolves weapons (also no need for new ability slot need)

-The 'creep' slowly covering and 'eating' weapons dropped. 'Creep' being the aliens' bacterial growth thing. This works as a home field advantage for the aliens and kind of gives another purpose to the largely ignorable creep.

-Whatever ideas you have. It just makes me sad when I can't get rid of a shotgun!

Comments

• RobustPenguinRobustPenguin Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155719Members
    Would be nice, also make weapons degen substantially quicker on infestation too
  • KeldornKeldorn Join Date: 2012-05-05 Member: 151587Members
  • IllidanIllidan Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19861Members
    Weapons getting destroyed by infestation -> Very good idea! :-)
    Devour weapons -> Well, okay.

But on the other hand I don't understand why weapons have to disappear within a few secs... that's a stupid feature. I think weapons should - while not on infestation and not being destroyed by aliens - stay there much longer, eg. 3-5 minutes!
  • BurdockBurdock Join Date: 2012-08-27 Member: 156553Members
    I love it, Gorge eating things gives it a new role, infestation covering then is awesome too!
    Overall i'd love too see this!

ps: if it was too happen I think that Weapons should not decay, imo.
  • IllidanIllidan Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19861Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1979913:date=Sep 18 2012, 08:16 PM:name=Burdock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Burdock @ Sep 18 2012, 08:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1979913"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ps: if it was too happen I think that Weapons should not decay, imo.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1 :-) Except LMGs probably, 'coz most likely nobody will pickup a lmg (well, except in battles where you need to pick up another lmg because you are out of ammo etc.). For those lmgs there still could be a timelimit until they get destroyed.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2012
    Marines' low weapon costs are balanced around the assumption they are only picked up by others in the same push/attack. If weapons stay for too long, they end up being reused too many times, giving Marines significant advantages over Aliens. In earlier builds, Marines cornered in one base could hold back aliens for over half an hour by reusing powerful weapons.

I think allowing Infestation to slowly (over ~10 seconds) destroy dropped weapons would be a good mechanism. Infestation creeping into the Marine base should pose a real danger to Marine equipment, perhaps even damaging structures. It also wouldn't give alien defenders too much of an advantage, as the time window given to save a weapon from destruction should be quite generous.

Edit: (Brainstorm) What if ammo packs (including those dropped with weapons) decay faster on Infestation? After all, an empty weapon isn't very useful on the fiend. :)
  • eddie.lineddie.lin Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159894Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1979658:date=Sep 18 2012, 09:56 AM:name=yehawmcgraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yehawmcgraw @ Sep 18 2012, 09:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1979658"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-The 'creep' slowly covering and 'eating' weapons dropped. 'Creep' being the aliens' bacterial growth thing. This works as a home field advantage for the aliens and kind of gives another purpose to the largely ignorable creep.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    How about this: the "creep" will eventually cover your weapon when you stay at the infested area for too long, and can make your weapon jammed.
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    It would make Gorges and Infestation more useful. Especially if the time it takes for weapons to fade away by themselves is increased by a lot. The Aliens would really need to spread Infestation or get a Gorge to the corridor just outside the Hive that's littered with GL's and SG's before the Marines are back.
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    +1 to any of these ideas
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    edited September 2012
    Oh, and if the Gorge is killed, the equipment should burst out à la Gorge piñata! :) Whenever the Gorge devours something it could take a minute or so before the equipment is actually destroyed (and the Gorge is awarded, perhaps 1 score point for a Welder and 3 for a GL).
  • FroztyFrozty SWEDEN Join Date: 2012-01-22 Member: 141596Members
    Haha love it :D
    Gorge needs more things to do atm.
    I dont like 3 hydras limit cuz if ur playing 5v5, and ur the only Gorge i think alien team would have a "shared" Hydra pool or something.
    Remember that NS1 and NS2 is a tactical based game so this wouldnt hurt.
  • deaglecrazydeaglecrazy Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73106Members
    I think the bilebomb and creep are both really good ideas, would love to see this implemented in the game for sure
  • BeelzebubBeelzebub Join Date: 2012-08-12 Member: 155506Members
    Simply put.. a skulk should be able to chomp a dropped weapon to break it...
  • RobustPenguinRobustPenguin Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155719Members
    If you bite a dropped weapon damage numbers do come up but it doesnt appear to have any hp so im not sure why you can damage it
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1981103:date=Sep 20 2012, 08:08 PM:name=RobustPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobustPenguin @ Sep 20 2012, 08:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1981103"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you bite a dropped weapon damage numbers do come up but it doesnt appear to have any hp so im not sure why you can damage it<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think here are actually certain props on mineshaft that do this, too. Stuff like cups and papers on the ground in some rooms used to give off hit sounds when I bit them, but I haven't tried it since numbers were displayed.
  • BitcrusherBitcrusher Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156628Members
    Make it so weapons on infestation turns into a cyst overtime and if the marine wants their weapon back they have to shoot the cyst before it disintegrates.
  • mR.WafflesmR.Waffles Join Date: 2009-02-03 Member: 66280Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    OP is a genius and should run for presidentgorge
  • ChaosXBeingChaosXBeing Join Date: 2012-10-12 Member: 162114Members
    edited October 2012
    Hey OP, would you mind if I tried adding this idea to a mod I have planed after 1.0 comes out? I'm adding a lot of Infestation tweaks and I've been wanting to do more for the Gorge as well. The idea is great, so this would fit perfect.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    I think the idea of bile bomb destroying weapons just makes bile bomb a little more OP. Creep destroying weapons I like though.
  • yehawmcgrawyehawmcgraw Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159694Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1990682:date=Oct 12 2012, 08:03 PM:name=ChaosXBeing)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChaosXBeing @ Oct 12 2012, 08:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990682"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey OP, would you mind if I tried adding this idea to a mod I have planed after 1.0 comes out? I'm adding a lot of Infestation tweaks and I've been wanting to do more for the Gorge as well. The idea is great, so this would fit perfect.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Good to hear, go for it dude.
  • arnyboy87arnyboy87 Join Date: 2012-08-13 Member: 155551Members
    yeah +1 to the creep and the devour as stated I think adding this to bio bomb might make it too op
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    +1 to infestation killing weapons and devour. At the moment there's far too much weapon retention happening on the marines side. It wasn't a problem in ns1 because there was no sprint.

At the moment, if you die with a gun, you're probably gonna get it back unless you're all the way on the other side of the map thick into alien territory, or your teammate picks it up. There needs to be more that can be done to prevent the marines from recycling those weapons over and over. Right now, killing a marine with a weapon does nothing to the marine economy, as somebody will just pick that weapon back up. Whereas, if you kill a fade, they can't just refade for no resources. I'm not disputing that marines should be able to reclaim their weapons, or even that the reclaim period should be shortened - however, there is a problem with ease of recycling, and the solution proposed is pretty good, and gives gorges more of a purpose.
  • ArcL!ghtArcL!ght Join Date: 2007-11-27 Member: 63031Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    Would be very neat idea that gorge can devour and digest 1 weapon/min. That way you cant just eat up 5 shotties/gls/flamers, but can at least get one (would need multiple gorges for that). Also that when digesting weapon you get 1 extra HP for basic regeneration (not one 1hp per sec, but 1 hp for basic regen every lifeform has, obviously would be more with regen as upgrade), wouldn't be much but would be meaningful.

Killing a gorge gets weapon back.

I would also agree that bile destroys (not at once) ammo/med drops in lets say 3 sec so med spam at pg is not that much overused (gets annoying when you cant bite down marine fast enough by how many meds are there).
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    this would be cool if the weapons stayed in the gorge's belly. So if you killing it all of the weapons popout diablo loot goblin style lol :)