Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 220 released

Comments

• CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->-Snip - These kinds of comments will not be tolerated (Cory)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • fishpigfishpig Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157386Members
    BB x2 damage for exo wtf? How can people whinge about aliens been nerfed too much when 8 out of the 11 balancing changes favored aliens? Heaven forbid that a skulk should actually have to be close to a marine to bite him and that what a shame it was that back in 219 aliens had to stay around to defend their harvesters for a while, it's not like marines were required to stick around to build their RT's.

On a second note I do enjoy my res being saved if I disconnect and reconnect to a server.
    <!--quoteo(post=1980204:date=Sep 19 2012, 11:31 PM:name=spacedaniel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spacedaniel @ Sep 19 2012, 11:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980204"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->YIHAAA! Just played 3 games, 2 of them over 60 minutes long with battle going back n forth, last one on 20 minutes with an actual exo-train (teary eye)!
    What can I say, I was afraid the changes to balance was too great but no, they could be spot on! Either way, both sides were having a good time = most important!
    Some polish and I'd say: RELEASE PARTY!!!
    Well done UWE!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you have an equally skill team marines will win easily.
  • Josh86Josh86 Join Date: 2010-12-06 Member: 75513Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1979946:date=Sep 18 2012, 10:22 PM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ Sep 18 2012, 10:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1979946"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Logged in, saw I was green, saw I had 48 fps, logged out.
    Maybe another time...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Some beta tester you are...

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thanks for making adrenaline useless guys.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I would rather have double...since I'm always leaping from floor to wall to wall in corridors as a skulk. It really messes up a marines aim. In my eyes it will allow you to heal, blink, leap, and spore for a longer period of time. I can't say if this will encourage more ability spamming or not. Time will tell how it works, it could be for the worse. Remember fade blink was nerfed to be shorter in duration not too long ago.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->edit: adrenaline actually tripples your capacity: its PLUS 200%. to me it seems even a bit more powerful than before (leapspam), you simply need some longer breaks inbetween combat. if you dont pay attention<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Probably right, I think being able to leap at least twice as much or more is pretty awesome though. It does make sense that it is triple though, the way it's written. We all know a 100% <b>increase</b> is double the value.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-Slowdown with Carapace removed (drawbacks are implicit in choices, not within traits themselves).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't play too often, so I never noticed the old slowdown much. I think it's a good idea since it's not super noticeable (to me anyway).

Oh and skulk bite being shortened. I know I will definitely have a harder time getting kills. It really depends who you are playing against though. There are some pretty quick/accurate marines out there. For me, its really hard to land a hit with how fast the skulk moves -- I need to relax a bit when I attack.
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2012
    You can't kill crags now :( and also whats up with the strange colour animation around the hub as a skulk or any other lifeforms :S
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1980209:date=Sep 19 2012, 04:52 PM:name=Codeine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Codeine @ Sep 19 2012, 04:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980209"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you have an equally skill team marines will win easily.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's an amazing story, are you a time traveler? :)

Also great patch, especially the new adren, no more cara slowdown, marine upgrades and damage numbers.
    Thanks UWE.
  • NakorsonNakorson Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140253Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    For all the people that are criticizing the new adrenaline, afaik it was intentional that it is a bit of a nerf. The idea behind the change, from my point of view, was that the players have to plan their moves more and have to watch their energy again.

To use the full potential of adrenaline you need shifts. If you have shifts in your territory and near the front lines it is even better than the old adrenaline. Then your down time is nearly 0, in the time you heal up your energy recovers.
    It is now a lot easier to take down jetpackers in your hive room or any other room where you have a shift, when you have adrenaline.
    <!--quoteo(post=1980212:date=Sep 19 2012, 11:57 PM:name=Josh86)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Josh86 @ Sep 19 2012, 11:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980212"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In my eyes it will allow you to heal, blink, leap, and spore for a longer period of time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The time waiting for your energy to refill when your in battle or trying to get to battle is longer. So you are healing, blink, leap, and spore less.
  • RobustPenguinRobustPenguin Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155719Members
    Did it really need to be easier for marines to get weapon and armour upgrades up? I never struggle as a comm to get them up provided I think for 2 seconds aobut how many RTs I have. Skulk bite and wall jumping blows ass, did lerk really need a nerf too? Its not a very large one but its still a nerf. Removal of cara slowdown is about damn time but I still dont think Ill go crag first.
  • SkiTSkiT Join Date: 2012-05-22 Member: 152452Members
    edited September 2012
    adrenaline really sucks now.. skulk and fade are not really fun to play now.. i'm sad about this build..

the Last build was for me very balanced.. Developpers need to stop listening to the complaints of the new players !!!!
    Fade are NOT OP !! now they are very bad if u have a god aim, and i really miss my old skulk bite and walljump (so fun to play)..
    Now if the marines have 2-3 good aimer and a good comm they can finish the game on 10 mins..
    and i really don't appreciate the new Hp bar for aliens.. the old bar was really nice.
    I love this game guys but this build ruin it.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    edited September 2012
    Can't really take down bases as a skulk now you run out of energy too quickly. With the lerk can't fly around and use spikes because it runs out of energy and drops to the floor. And that's with adrenaline.

Also just had to quit the game cos my text input got screwed up and it only showed up as question marks no matter what I typed. What's up with that.

I kept hearing the sound of a dentist drill. What is that?

Very hard to land skulk bites :(((
  • NakorsonNakorson Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140253Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1980235:date=Sep 19 2012, 09:38 AM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Sep 19 2012, 09:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980235"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I kept hearing the sound of a dentist drill. What is that?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

lmg with weapon 3
  • kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    That lvl3 gun sfx makes no sense lvl3 guns rate of fire doesn't increase the damage does... So the gun should sound like its firing a higher calibre round at the same speed.
    <!--quoteo(post=1980238:date=Sep 19 2012, 09:51 AM:name=kabab)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kabab @ Sep 19 2012, 09:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980238"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That lvl3 gun sfx makes no sense lvl3 guns rate of fire doesn't increase the damage does... So the gun should sound like its firing a higher calibre round at the same speed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Or the rounds are special rounds that make the weapon firing sound like that.
  • EißfeldtEißfeldt Join Date: 2012-08-15 Member: 155658Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1980229:date=Sep 19 2012, 04:23 PM:name=SkiT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SkiT @ Sep 19 2012, 04:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980229"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->adrenaline really sucks now.. skulk and fade are not really fun to play now.. i'm sad about this build..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What exactly is wrong with the new adrenaline? Even without the adrenaline upgrade the fade is effective and now you got +200% energy which is fairly enough to spam blink around the map. It also promotes intelligent shift placement especially since they are cheaper and grow faster.

All in all i like the new build but there are still some problems:

-Skulk walljump is useless. Skulk movement in 219 was okay in my opinion.
    -Lvl 3 rifle sound is annoying
    -cheaper arms lab upgrades were not really necessary

Also I noticed slightly better performance, Good job UWE.
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    I need to experiment with the new adrenaline, for some things like blinking around as fade or going for gas runs as lerk and retreating to heal with the new buffed regen it's much better. The problem is that adren regenerates really slowly and it's too long of a wait time. What they should do imo is make it so your energy regen is three times as fast when you are near a hive or that adrenaline also regenerates your energy out of combat when you have regen.
    <!--quoteo(post=1980247:date=Sep 19 2012, 10:14 AM:name=NeoRussia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoRussia @ Sep 19 2012, 10:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980247"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I need to experiment with the new adrenaline, for some things like blinking around as fade or going for gas runs as lerk and retreating to heal with the new buffed regen it's much better. The problem is that adren regenerates really slowly and it's too long of a wait time. What they should do imo is make it so your energy regen is three times as fast when you are near a hive or that adrenaline also regenerates your energy out of combat when you have regen.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Get the khamm to drop a shift near the hive, or near the front line. Although maybe the hives should provide a bit increased energy regen but not as powerful as the shade.
  • radforChristradforChrist USA Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6871Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1980218:date=Sep 19 2012, 10:11 AM:name=Nakorson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nakorson @ Sep 19 2012, 10:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980218"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For all the people that are criticizing the new adrenaline, afaik it was intentional that it is a bit of a nerf. The idea behind the change, from my point of view, was that the players have to plan their moves more and have to watch their energy again.

To use the full potential of adrenaline you need shifts. If you have shifts in your territory and near the front lines it is even better than the old adrenaline. Then your down time is nearly 0, in the time you heal up your energy recovers.
    It is now a lot easier to take down jetpackers in your hive room or any other room where you have a shift, when you have adrenaline.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Exactly. With the Adrenaline upgrade BEFORE this patch, I could heal infinitely. That was never possible in NS1 without an MC. This is better IMHO, as it doesn't max an ability. It only amplifies.

Kudos UW, I do have some concerns over the larger issues regarding Hydra's weakness and low HP, and the abysmal direction of sentries, but played three games immediately after patch and enjoy the rest. This was a good patch. Although the lower price points for upgrades and structures is only going to shorten the games more. This was what NS 2.0 and 3.0 did, are we not happy with the pacing of NS2 as it is?
  • KasperleKasperle Join Date: 2004-09-29 Member: 31990Members
    edited September 2012
    The nerfed skulk will most likely result in more early game wins for marines on pubs. I dont even wanna think about competetive play.
    With the removal of walljump, skulks are forced to play defensivly. No risky offensive skulkplay anymore. U are basically forcing the skulk to play only one way by removing the only option to be slightly agressive in early game. Therefor u decrease the possibilities of alien gameplay (at least early game). And thats allways a bad idea.
    U dont really need to work on the numbers of the new kind of gaining speed, because nobody will use it (i reject to call it walljump, because its not related to walljumping at all).
    Crawling up a wall until i reach the roof to jump down from it is a very very skillbased movement ...
    Playing aliens this build will be such a pain in the ass :(.

Right now, ur gained speed completely depends on geometry ... the higher the roof the better. Its like an approach for "geometry based movement" and not skill based.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    There's a blue man trapped in the infantry portals, and my marine keeps asking for medkits and ammo when I don't want them.
    I think my game is corrupt, better verify files.
  • Josh86Josh86 Join Date: 2010-12-06 Member: 75513Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1980219:date=Sep 19 2012, 10:11 AM:name=Codeine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Codeine @ Sep 19 2012, 10:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980219"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The time waiting for your energy to refill when your in battle or trying to get to battle is longer. So you are healing, blink, leap, and spore less.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It is longer than the previous adrenaline gave, yeah -- the increased capacity is supposed to make up for this when you actually need to use it in a combat situation. They didn't reduce the original energy recharge time, did they? Not that I read.

If you can leap 3 times as much now with the same amount of energy being taken from your total (and your energy is constantly recovering) I would think that you can still use abilities more over the same period of time. I don't know if energy recovering is restored by a certain percentage of the total available or if it is a set value.

How much did the old adrenaline upgrade increase recovery by? Three times as fast? That seems high, but it would make sense if they increased capacity by 200%

Like someone else said, I just think it makes more sense to be have abilities like leap, blink, or heal being used more in a consecutive burst at crucial times.

Not that I know the actual numbers, but lets say the old upgrade let you leap twice in a row before adrenaline runs out. The adrenaline would regenerate faster (by some multiple) but you still wouldn't be able to use the ability until your adrenaline hit that value that leap actually costs. You could use it only one more time then after a short wait (lets say a second).

The new upgrade would let you use it possibly up to 6 times before adrenaline runs out. If you have to leap 6 times in a row, you probably deserve a long cooldown. The adrenaline regeneration is at it's normal rate, so it takes 2 or 3 seconds for you to reach a value so you can leap again. If you are relatively conservative, having the new adrenaline upgrade should give you plenty of adrenaline to work with without ever emptying it.

I still think it's more in favor for the aliens now than adrenaline was before. I think we will see more leap spam, more blinking, better healing, and a lot more sporing.

EDIT: I am also someone who never really grabbed adrenaline by the way, I went with celerity and carapace. I never really needed adrenaline for anything except spamming lerk spores so I could be annoying. I can definitely see myself using adrenaline now, if it is indeed triple in capacity. Skulk leap is by far one of my favorite abilities. Like others have said as well, the shift doesn't have an overlapping usage now.
  • PolakPolak Join Date: 2012-09-14 Member: 159305Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    My fps droped from stable 30+ never below, now i got 22+ fps drop when i look at structures, got MSI GT683 4GB ram GTX560M laptop game is unplayable for me :( w8 for 221.
  • YotopiaYotopia Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75176Members
    Just played a couple of rounds and have to say its performance wise the best patch so far for me with my nearly 4 year old hardware.
    No big fps improvements but they stay more constant then ever and that on a 20 player server.
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    My fps has also dropped this patch as well (gtx 670, i5 4,1ghz, 8gb 1600) and the new skulk bite is ###### me to tears
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1980176:date=Sep 19 2012, 08:16 AM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Sep 19 2012, 08:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980176"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's already apparent today aliens are not scaling with marines (who benefit greatly from better performance and hit reg) and it won't be much longer before marines are the new OP.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The funny thing is. I kept repeating this over and over when I first signed up in hopes that I get them to change paths, multiple ideas for alien scaling progress throughout the game, and we wouldn't be in this mess we are now. But the overwhelming amount of butt-kissers would discount and dismiss any constructive feedback regular players would give by saying "It didn't work a year ago!", "It's still beta!", or "Charlie knows what he's doing!" and good ideas suddenly get swept under the rug. Aliens wouldn't be so god damn awful either if the amount of whining when performance was horrendous and no one could hit anything was taken into account, but no, gotta nerf. Lolnos anyone? Now we're nerfing skulks even more. Hilarious. Now the alien gameplay is so bad, it requires nothing short of one lobotomy, 6 aspirins and a shot of whiskey to play.

The one good thing I got out of bad hit detection and crappy skulk weapon hit box... I'm freakin' amazing at Zero's sword in Borderlands 2. I have plenty to do with Borderlands 2 and soon Torchlight 2 to keep me occupied while I wait for a NS1 mod. That is, if people are still playing until then.
  • piratedavepiratedave Join Date: 2012-03-10 Member: 148561Members
    edited September 2012
    *I need to learn to be nice* --Comprox
  • GameOverGameOver Germany Join Date: 2003-10-15 Member: 21700Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Now i played some rounds and have this to say...

Marineupgrades come too fast/cheap in my opinion.
    - If you compare Alien to Marineupgrades ... Marines get their upgrades much cheaper.
    - Marines don't lose upgrades even if the Arms Lab was killed and rebuild. Aliens do lose their upgrades and have to spend another 15 Resources

Adrenaline ... well the commanders need a new strategy and have to build shifts here and there. it could work?
    But in the current state the shifts and everything else gets killed by ninja (jetpacking) shotgun/GL marines

Something else:
    Please remove the sniper out of the shotgun. A shotgun is a shortrange weapon as far as i know. ;) Or return super skulk bite range :P
    Increase parasite range
  • MOOtantMOOtant Join Date: 2010-06-25 Member: 72158Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1980250:date=Sep 19 2012, 05:24 PM:name=radforChrist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (radforChrist @ Sep 19 2012, 05:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980250"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Exactly. With the Adrenaline upgrade BEFORE this patch, I could heal infinitely. That was never possible in NS1 without an MC. This is better IMHO, as it doesn't max an ability. It only amplifies.

Kudos UW, I do have some concerns over the larger issues regarding Hydra's weakness and low HP, and the abysmal direction of sentries, but played three games immediately after patch and enjoy the rest. This was a good patch. Although the lower price points for upgrades and structures is only going to shorten the games more. This was what NS 2.0 and 3.0 did, are we not happy with the pacing of NS2 as it is?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Where do you get brown nosers like this? I've played several games and spectated even more since 220. Aliens are often so depressed that they don't even try to attack, they know that they'll get killed with 1 shot from dmg 0 SG with cara, won't get second hive, won't get fade and everything is useless. This is worst patch in terms of balance in like 10 patches or more.

Most games are lost in first 2 minutes, expansion hive goes down and it is just waiting for marine to finish the round.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    is it just me or has the b220 changelog disappeared from the front page?
  • bEEbbEEb Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149317Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1980328:date=Sep 19 2012, 11:05 AM:name=Laosh'Ra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Laosh'Ra @ Sep 19 2012, 11:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980328"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->is it just me or has the b220 changelog disappeared from the front page?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't see it either.