Wasabi Cup Grand Finale

WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
<div class="IPBDescription">PokeMasters vs Archaea (SUPER REMATCH!)</div>Thank you to everyone who played and watched, what we accomplished today was simply awesome! lots to learn from and lots to be excited about. Just so you know....

GRAND FINALE - SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 16 2012 - 11:00 PDT | 2:00 EDT | 18:00 UTC | 20:00 CET

POKEMASTERS vs ARCHAEA (SUPER REMATCH!)

Comments

• WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    FYI on the rules for all those wondering....

Grand Finale will be best of 5 Rounds
    Match will begin promptly at 11:00 PDT | 2:00 EDT | 18:00 UTC | 20:00 CET
    Each team will choose a map to play
    There will be a coin flip to decide certain details to ensure fairness

2 Game Set - Map / Server Choice
    The winner of the coin flip picks the server on which the first set of games will be played
    The loser of the coin flip picks the server on which the second set of games will be played.
    The loser of the coin flip picks the map on which the first game will be played
    The winner of the coin flip picks the map on which the second game will be played

TIE BREAKER
    If there is a tie after 4 rounds, a coin flip will happen again
    The winner of the coin flip decides which server the round is played on
    The loser of the coin flip decides which sides the teams will play and which map the round is played on.

May seem a bit confusing but really it benefits both teams, unless of course an upset happen on trans-Atlantic gameplay :)
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Thanks for hosting! It's been fun.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Awesome watch, but you really have to have set maps for each stage. Playing Veil over and over got a bit repetitive and teams began to mirror each other a lot.

Flipping a coin to choose maps also causes big issues, as either team could be practising on a map that no one really plays that much and pick it.

For instance, we could see a team in the final pick Mineshaft. I doubt many competitive teams practice that at all right now.

Summit, Docking, Veil, Tram or 3 of those 4 should have been rotated. It also gives teams a chance to pre-empt their strategies.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1978415:date=Sep 16 2012, 12:38 PM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ Sep 16 2012, 12:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978415"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Awesome watch, but you really have to have set maps for each stage. Playing Veil over and over got a bit repetitive and teams began to mirror each other a lot.

Flipping a coin to choose maps also causes big issues, as either team could be practising on a map that no one really plays that much and pick it.

For instance, we could see a team in the final pick Mineshaft. I doubt many competitive teams practice that at all right now.

Summit, Docking, Veil, Tram or 3 of those 4 should have been rotated. It also gives teams a chance to pre-empt their strategies.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Mineshaft and docking were ruled out before tournament start.
    I also agree that coinflip for map decision was a bad move, for the exact reason runteh posted.
    We didn't practice veil much, as we feel the map have serious issues.
    Yet, we ended up playing the map in our most important matchup, due to exertus insisting on playing it, and the coinflip rule.
    I know it's our own fault for not veto'ing the map in the captains meeting, or practicing it.
    Still I don't like that coinflip rule.
    edited September 2012
    Okay, fair enough. But would have still been nice to see set maps, I haven't seen any tournaments work like that before.

What is docking like to play competitively though? My only thoughts are the pains and struggles of landing pad and some of the power nodes? What is the issue for clans there?
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    edited September 2012
    All the stalemates on veil started to become boring after a while, having the same strategy every game doesn't help either. It looks like it the same game over and over again, even the casters were confusing games. I didn't watch the thing until the end.

Please bring summit, or anything else for the finals, for spectator's sake.
  • ArcL!ghtArcL!ght Join Date: 2007-11-27 Member: 63031Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    edited September 2012
    I agree, Veil with it's current status and all the known bugs can be a stalemate. Exertus was telling me they had a 92 minute game on it, and we all know that exertus is by no means a noob clan\new clan\clan not familiar with game mechanics or however you want to call them.

Tournament should be played on smaller maps like summit I agree, but unfortunately current map list is not fit for tournaments imho (some good custom maps like old eclipse, but not yet textured so problem).
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1978448:date=Sep 16 2012, 08:32 AM:name=ArcL!ght)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ArcL!ght @ Sep 16 2012, 08:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978448"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree, Veil with it's current status and all the known bugs can be a stalemate.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Huh? What a weird thing to say. Veil's status more than likely won't change at all. The reason many of us have been enjoying competitive play on veil is because all we've been scrimming on forever is summit.
  • elmo9000elmo9000 Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149324Members
    I really enjoy veil because its bigger than summit and tram, and the layout doesnt allow easy access to every spot on the map. Mostly the stalemating problems come from the game mechanics imo. Things like macs welding, being able to beacon to any tp, basically all the equipment and lifeforms spammable with the current res models etc. contribute to the fact that its hard to end the game sometimes. Maybe right now maps like summit and tram allow the game to end faster, but i still like the less rushy nature of veil.
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I agree there was more play on Veil than I expected there to be, but it is the way we had all agreed to do it in advance. However next time around it will be done differently to keep all the teams on their toes and show more diversity to the game. We have learned a lot from doing this event this weekend and again I say thank you to all the teams that put so much time in, it has been a lot of fun regardless of playing veil as much as we have.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Summit still has fairly severe cyst pathing bugs.
    <!--quoteo(post=1978529:date=Sep 16 2012, 06:11 PM:name=WasabiOne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WasabiOne @ Sep 16 2012, 06:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978529"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree there was more play on Veil than I expected there to be, but it is the way we had all agreed to do it in advance. However next time around it will be done differently to keep all the teams on their toes and show more diversity to the game. We have learned a lot from doing this event this weekend and again I say thank you to all the teams that put so much time in, it has been a lot of fun regardless of playing veil as much as we have.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Really enjoyed watching the games as I am sure everyone did, especially when EXOs came out! So thanks to yourself and Hugh for such an awesome watch with all the cool stats etc. Just needs a bit of tweaking :)

P.s Wasabi is right, I want to hear more yelling Hugh.
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Game starting soon, you can watch it on Twitch.. <a href="http://www.twitch.tv/naturalselection2" target="_blank">http://www.twitch.tv/naturalselection2</a> =D
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    Congrats to Archaea and thanks to both teams for the amazing 3rd match!
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    Round 3 should get put up on NS2HD for future generations. And so I can post it on facebook.