My thoughts on 219

2»

Comments

• Mr R0YB0T 0Mr R0YB0T 0 Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72972Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1977959:date=Sep 14 2012, 10:31 PM:name=MisterNubs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MisterNubs @ Sep 14 2012, 10:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1977959"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Stomp that requires having three hives, and hoping that those three marines don't have jet packs either which are still pennies to afford.

But if you like, we can agree on where onos are semi-useful is when marines only have one tech point, unable to purchase jetpacks, and the game was already on the tail end of being over without the presence of onos in the first place. Dem real useful.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I would like to try a two hive stomp and Devour back in the game.

Hive 1 - Devour or have the commander Evolve it for 20 - 30 res
    Hive 2 - Evolve Stomp becomes available
    Hive 3 - Charge.

The unit costs a hefty 75 res, it should have some fun toys and the power it deserves.
    This is pretty close to how it was in NS1 and it may not work. I would like to test it out during the Beta.

Also a question, how much damage does Charge do currently if any?
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1977966:date=Sep 15 2012, 04:49 AM:name=Mr R0YB0T 0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr R0YB0T 0 @ Sep 15 2012, 04:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1977966"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also a question, how much damage does Charge do currently if any?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nothing directly - but if you gore something while moving at high speed, you do get a charge bonus on damage, increasing linearly to double damage from speed 6 tp speed 12. With the new damage numbers coming in 220, you will even be able to see this.
  • KopikatKopikat Join Date: 2012-09-06 Member: 158170Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1977995:date=Sep 14 2012, 09:08 PM:name=matso)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (matso @ Sep 14 2012, 09:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1977995"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nothing directly - but if you gore something while moving at high speed, you do get a charge bonus on damage, increasing linearly to double damage from speed 6 tp speed 12. With the new damage numbers coming in 220, you will even be able to see this.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Damage numbers? Like, little -X's float up from the enemy when you shoot them or something?

'Cause that sounds rad.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1977997:date=Sep 15 2012, 06:19 AM:name=Kopikat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kopikat @ Sep 15 2012, 06:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1977997"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Damage numbers? Like, little -X's float up from the enemy when you shoot them or something?

'Cause that sounds rad.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hahahahahaha.

It does until you hear all the NS1 people complaining how much they hated the feature in NS1 and it never got used and OMG ITS LIKE BRINGING COMBAT BACK CASUALS ARGH and suchlike.

Would be nice from a communication standpoint though, I do often wonder if I'm doing any damage at all most of the time. I also remember really liking it in borderlands. It does work nicely in arcadey games and you could easily make it look all nanotechy HUD display and stuff if you want it to fit the setting.

Maybe I should play disgaea or something, I apparently have a well developed 'WOOO BIG NUMBERS' response.
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1977945:date=Sep 14 2012, 06:25 PM:name=Arcanum)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arcanum @ Sep 14 2012, 06:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1977945"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Did you miss it earlier? Stomp. In NS1 onosing was like a fade, run in, grab a guy, gore a couple dudes then run out to digest and regen. Now you run in, stomp, kill a dude, stomp, kill another dude, stomp, etc etc. You can easily kill three marines, well maybe not easy but it wasn't a cakewalk in ns1 either.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Onos runs in, oh hi exo, dies.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1976567:date=Sep 13 2012, 12:52 AM:name=cartmaan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cartmaan @ Sep 13 2012, 12:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1976567"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Since the last patch or fix you guys made, you have somehow made the alien spawn timer worst, why don't you just get the scale right with the eggs can't be that hard to do.

These are just some more annoyances I currently have with the game;

Marines being able to get into small vents, they either shouldnt be able to or if they do they should have a very reduced turning speed.

Marine commanders being able to reprocess any buildings even though they are damaged wihch is just stupid, they should have to be at full health for it to be repocessed or if they reprocessed whilst damaged they should only get a small fraction of the res back.

Mines should cost more or they should kill marines just as easily as they kill skulks, too many times marines can spam mines and sit on them and occur no damage.

Also reduced framerate since the patch.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have no idea if it was the server, but the hit detection also feel weird again, and it was so great...
    Yeah, marines can move into ANY vent, i also think, it's terrible for aliens, but very fun for marines, i like my minefield vents :P
    Mines should cost more? Why? Hmm, maybe 2 res more and then make them more like buy as ammo, like you buy 1 mine for 6 res (yeah increase the price of +1 res ) instead of 3 packs.
    First, this would make marines flexible, you can buy one mine to secure a phasegate at start.
    Mines have a delay, if you walk over them, you also can simply leap over them and a mine cost res, a dead skulk nothing.

Right now, i have just a problem with jetpack marines (10 Res...at cost per marine, a lerk cost 30 res and can't kill so fast as a marine can).
    Let's say there 8 jetpack marines, 4 spread to one hive and the other 4 to another.
    It's very hard for aliens to kill these marines, it is possible but aliens realy need webs or some kind of stoping them.
    I mean think about it, aliens are close range attackers, marines are long range + ultra mobile with jetpacks, thats just crazy.
    Webs we miss you and UW, the webs of ns1 were good!
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    edited September 2012
    spawn system works as following:

there is a 13 seconds wave timer, once at 0 the game attempts to spawn all dead alien players if eggs are available. there is a personal timer for hatching from an egg of 3 seconds (we can reduce or remove that, it's just meant as orientation)

between the waves there is a 2 second delay

if no player is dead, the wave is paused and started in the moment the first player dies.

that system is really simple, and due to the fact that egg generation scales with player count, it's very well suited for large games. i tested it for 3 days on a 12vs12 server before releasing it, and nobody ever experienced high waiting times as we had in build 217 before.

under normal conditions, you have a waiting time of 3 - 18 seconds. when your team requires more eggs, then either you have only 1 hive and it is under attack (and the eggs are being destroyed -> lose) or your team plays too offensively and requires a second hive / shifts to increase egg generation.

edit: there certainly needs to be some UI showing the eggs available, amount of dead players and your position in your queue, and whether you are eligible to spawn or not, to make that system more transparent. other than that, if you really feel something is buggy, please post here or write me a message.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1978092:date=Sep 15 2012, 08:15 PM:name=Sewlek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sewlek @ Sep 15 2012, 08:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978092"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->under normal conditions, you have a waiting time of 3 - 18 seconds. when your team requires more eggs, then either you have only 1 hive and it is under attack (and the eggs are being destroyed -> lose) or your team plays too offensively and requires a second hive / shifts to increase egg generation.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think atm the only big weakness in the system is that eggs spawn much too quickly and additional hives thus add way too many eggs (2x, 3x).

Also is emergency egg spawning still in?
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1978096:date=Sep 15 2012, 06:21 AM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Sep 15 2012, 06:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978096"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think atm the only big weakness in the system is that eggs spawn much too quickly and additional hives thus add way too many eggs (2x, 3x).

Also is emergency egg spawning still in?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yes, it's the same egg generation code as of build 216. the scaling of egg generation is a tricky thing and still needs some attention