Better RAM, better performance?

ponkenponken Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159029Members
Hello,

First of all, here the hardware Im using:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ (2,9Ghz 2 cores)
Nvdia Geforce 9600 GT (1Gb memory)
DDR2 4GB RAM <b>266Mghz</b>

I can run NS2 on low settings and a low resolution with about 50 FPS in the waiting room, 20-30FPS during non-fights and 10-20 during fights.

I understand that a lot of NS2 performance has to do with the processor, but I am not going to do any costly upgrade or buy a new computer. What I would be willing to buy though, is new RAM. 266Mghz seems very slow, but I don't know if this would actually improve performance. Every other game/application I use runs fine.

Soo, would upgrading my RAM to something with ~800 Mghz improve performance ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2012
    RAM speed usually doesn't make much of a difference, even though it could be different in NS2. It could improve performance, but I think it is not worth it to waste money on an old system. DDR2-RAM is also quite expensive now because it's been out of production for years.

You need to be aware that the RAM you are using (and have to use due to the motherboard's slots) is DDR2. There is no DDR2 RAM with 800MHz clock speed. What you might mean is DDR2-800. It gets a bit confusing because there are actually quite a lot of ways to specify RAM speed. For reference: <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR2_SDRAM#Chips_and_modules" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR2_SDRAM#Chips_and_modules</a>
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Save your money. If you want to play NS2 well, you'd be best served to save up for a better computer.
  • MOOtantMOOtant Join Date: 2010-06-25 Member: 72158Members
    DDR2 is not worth it, you need fast DDR3 (not just any DDR3).
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    That machine is about 6 years old I think tech-wise? Bit old for most modern games now.